Friends, it's road trip time again! I packed a lot into one week, so we're going to do this "post card" style.
The mission: visit the state capitals/capitols of Illinois and Iowa, go on an Iowa FLW bender, and most importantly, meet an epic blogger. The result: all of that plus a surprise encounter with a work of art.
The Plan
- Monday, July 27: head in the direction of Springfield, Illinois, but also adhere to my solo road trip safety cap of a maximum of six hours of driving in one day. You know what location is six hours from home on the way to Springfield? None other than my childhood hometown of Champaign, Illinois!
- Tuesday, July 28: drive to Springfield, do Springfield stuff
- Wednesday, July 29: drive to Des Moines (5 hours)
- Thursday, July 30: do Des Moines stuff
- Friday, July 31: drive to Mason City, Iowa for a FLW-twofer.
- Saturday, August 1: drive to Cedar Rock state park for the final FLW hit of the trip, start heading home.
- Sunday, August 2: come home
Here is the bird's eye view:
A Postcard from Champaign
When I went to Champaign in 2023, I stayed in an Airbnb a few blocks away from my childhood home. This time I got even closer and stayed on the same street, again just a few blocks away.
The reviews very snarkily called out the least popular feature, which is my Airbnb Nemesis, the Tiny Shower.
Normally I avoid the Tiny Shower. It works just fine for basic hygiene, but it's tough to wash your hair because there is no room to move your head away from the shower head, and shaving your legs is pretty much out of the question. In this case, I was willing to make an exception for the location. My verdict is that if the unit is located on my childhood street, you can make the shower as small as you want.
As far as Champaign activities, I walked the entire length of my childhood street, and spent as much time trying to check out my childhood home from the sidewalk as I could without being creepy.
There was a mandatory dinner at my childhood pizza joint/the world's best pizza at Papa Del's.
The next morning on the way out of town there was a hike at my childhood summer camp site at Busey Woods, which was the one thing that I didn't have time for on my last trip.
![]() |
| Stairs to Nowhere. I think I remember these from my last visit in the 1980s? Or maybe not. It was too long ago. |
A Post Card from Springfield
My first stop was the very thing that I came there for.
So far in my capitol wanderings I've encountered two working dogs (Babydog in West Virginia and Alfred in Indiana) but this was my first time touring a capitol with a dog. What can I say, the bar has been raised.
The tour was a mix of interesting facts about the capitol, and everyone sharing their dog stories. Oh, and if anyone is on their way to trivia and needs a fun fact, we've already learned that Texas is the largest state capitol. Illinois is the tallest. Also the building came in $5 under budget, and the project managers handed the payment over in cash to the treasurer.
Let's see that dome!
![]() |
| Hold the thought on this one for now...we'll circle back in just a sec when we talk about Iowa |
After the capitol I visited the Lincoln home.
The big news here is the Lincolns' taste in bedroom wallpaper.
In my wanderings around the city, I stumbled upon another story that I've encountered on my travels. This is where it all started!
Airbnb wise, I stayed in another studio apartment on the third floor of a house. Everything about the unit exceeded expectations, including the third floor air conditioning on a very hot day.
![]() |
| It's all fun and games until you have to haul a cooler up and down these bad boys... |
A Post Card on the Road from Springfield to Des Moines
I had a couple of options to get from Springfield to Des Moines, and I chose the most rural one. That was a great idea in theory, but after a few hours of staring at nothing but corn, I was starting to question my life decisions.
That is, I was starting to question my life decisions until I saw a roadside sign that had me pulling off the freeway in a hurry. I was where I was supposed to be!
The backstory is that when I went to Chicago in 2022, I went to the Chicago Institute of Art and saw the painting American Gothic. Obviously we've all seen it, but being there in person gave a very different perspective of the painting and I've been obsessed ever since.
So what was the road sign? It was for the American Gothic house! It would never have occurred to me in one million years that the house would still be standing, that it had been turned into a museum, or that it would be somewhere between Springfield and Des Moines. Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world....
If you are so inclined, the museum has costumes that you can borrow and there is a selfie stand so that you can recreate the painting. I don't normally post pictures of myself on the bloggo, unless I'm in a state capitol or unless I'm standing in front of the American Gothic house.
Seen but not purchased at the gift shop:
I continued on my way from the American Gothic house and found myself again driving alongside the corn. The GPS said that I was 10 minutes away from downtown Des Moines, but all I saw was corn.
All of a sudden there was a city skyline in the distance! I had arrived.
A Post Card From Des Moines
When I started checking out the Airbnb scene in Des Moines, I saw that there were a lot of condos downtown that had access to the skywalk. That was a location that I was interested in for reasons that I will get into later.
The unit that I selected was in the Hotel Kirkwood (former hotel turned into condos).
The unit was a very large one bedroom apartment.
As soon as I walked in, I knew that it was going to be good. Not only did it look good, but all of the furniture was comfortable, and the unit was fully stocked with everything that a person could possibly need.
I got settled and then was soon back on the road to meet a friend for dinner.
Let's Meet a Blogger!
It's difficult to pinpoint how long I've been reading Kim's blog, but it has been a long time. I know that it was winter when I found her, and my best guess is that is was early 2019. I remember fighting off the blahs of a cold winter by running on the treadmill first thing in the morning, hopping in the shower, and then kicking back on the couch with my coffee for the few minutes that I had before it was time to get ready for work. Kim's blog would be waiting for me, and she was also fighting back against winter but going one better by taking outdoor selfies at the end of her (indoor) workouts.
The reason why Kim is so important in my blogging life is that she is the reason why I started talking to people on the internet. I was just starting to find my blogging tribe, and just starting to leave comments, and not only did she comment on my blog but she invited me to join in and post on the Weekly Run Down, which is a fitness blog linkup that she and Deborah co-host. This meeting was long overdue.
We met at Kim's house and met Max (her dog), and then we headed out for dinner. The least interesting thing that I can tell you about that night is that I had nachos for dinner. The most interesting thing? Well, you would have had to have been there.
Remember how I said that I took note that there were Airbnbs on the skywalk? And what is the skywalk anyway? It is a network that connects a mere 55 buildings in downtown Des Moines, so that you can walk from building to building without going outside. Kim works in one of these buildings and often writes about her lunchtime walks on the skywalk, and since our first connection was fitness, it was clear that we needed to go on a lunchtime walk. So the next day at noon we met up and put in a solid two miles.
Let's Tour a Capitol!
Time to get what we came here for! First thing on Thursday morning I walked from the Airbnb to the capitol.
You never know what you're getting into with these tours. Sometimes they are very brief, and sometimes they are a master class. Where did Iowa fall on the spectrum? Well, the guide gave us a heads up that the tour would last for 90 minutes. I licked my lips.
Iowa was constructed on the same philosophy as Minnesota. Just because we're in Corn Country doesn't mean that we can't have nice things. Iowa is the grandest of the grand, and like Minnesota there is an ultra welcoming vibe. The tour guide made a point of telling us that we (meaning the adults but especially the children) we allowed to touch things.
This is all very well, but what we really came here for is the dome.
And we did get to go very close to the dome! The tour concluded with a walk around the rotunda.
Iowa and Illinois shared an architect, and two statues. These statues were originally designed for Illinois, but were ultimately rejected because folks felt that the ladies were showing too much leg. The architect kept the statues in storage and then offered them to Iowa, who was happy to have them.
![]() |
| This would be the time to scroll back up to the Illinois capitol pix to see their version of the statues. |
Later on Illinois realized the error of their ways, and wanted to get the statues back, but Iowa said "you snoozed, so you losed". Illinois settled for sloppy seconds and made copies of the statues.
What else did I do in Des Moines? Well, by this point on the trip I'd been on the go since leaving, it was insanely hot, and the Airbnb where I was staying was very nice. So my day in Des Moines was: tour the capitol, meet Kim for lunch walkies, and then I went back to the condo and watched Beef on Netflix for the rest of the afternoon. I'm sure that there was a better way that I could have used my time, but I have no regrets.
A Post Card from FLW Territory in River City!
The next morning I was on the road early and drove the two hours from Des Moines to Mason City, Iowa, which is home to two FLW sites.
It is also the inspiration for "River City" of Music Man fame.
I didn't tour the site, but I did spend the rest of the trip humming You Really Ought to Give Iowa a Try.
The day started with a tour of the Stockman House, which was an "FLW on a budget" house from 1908. The house was fabulous of course, but the best part of the tour was that there were about 10 other people there, and they were all ladies of my vintage. Two of the other women were on a 50 state quest, and the guide made a quip about achieving "50 before 50" and their response was "we're going for 50 after 50". It was a good group with a vibe to it, and we were all instant best friends for the duration of the tour.
The story is that the building was originally a bank, a law office, a hotel, and assorted retail. The bank failed in 1916 and the hotel had a cycle of ups and downs that eventually resulted in the whole thing being converted into apartments. Retail came and went, and eventually the building fell into disrepair and became an eyesore. After 25 years of standing vacant, folks were talking about demolition, but someone remembered that it was a FLW building and suggested restoring it and opening a new hotel on the site instead.
After the tour, I walked around Mason City for a bit until it was time to check into my hotel. Where did I stay in Mason City, you ask?
If you answered anything but the Park Inn Hotel, then you have not been paying attention.
It was a little pricey at $250, but it you think about it, that's probably the cheapest stay that you can have in a FLW property. Plus it is the only hotel that he designed that is still in operation, so why not support it?
While I was doing my research, I saw a few negative reviews for the hotel that said that it was run down and dirty, and I want to tell you that my experience does not back up these reviews. Everything about the stay was lovely and it was worth every penny. I spend most of my travel nights in Airbnbs or chain hotels, but my stay at the Park Inn has me thinking that maybe I need to check out more of the boutique hotel scene.
A Post Card from the Final Stop on Our Iowa FLW Journey
The next day I lounged in my FLW hotel room, and then reluctantly left. Once I was on the road I was excited for my next stop, which was Cedar Rock State Park.
FLW designs have similarities, but they are never the same. The two unique features of Cedar Rock were:
- The owners of the house loved their piano. On the tour, they invite anyone who can play to take a minute to pound out a little tune. Another woman on the tour treated us to Chopsticks, and I dropped a few bars of Prelude in C. Like I said, I don't normally post pictures of myself on the blog unless I'm in a state capitol, standing in front of the American Gothic house, or playing the piano in an FLW house. Also thanks for asking, I did bring more than one outfit on the trip, but this just happened to be a repeat day.
- I told you that there was going to be more bathroom talk and I know you've all been eagerly waiting for it. Very appropriately, there was a preview on the stalls in the visitor center restroom.
Because when you need to save space, you need a moveable sink that you can slide over either your bathtub or your commode. For some reason FLW never used this groundbreaking technology in any of his other residential bathrooms.
On that note, it was time to start wrapping up another wonderful trip and head home.
Who has been to any of these places? Have you seen The Music Man? Had an encounter with the site of a painting?



























































What and eventful trip! I haven’t had any of these experiences, so thanks for sharing yours!
ReplyDeleteYou may not have gone on an Illinois/Iowa rampage, but you've had quite a few adventures in your part of the world that you're sharing! It's good stuff!
DeleteI do not know how I feel about that toilet/ sink situation. Wait, I do know. Vaguely uncomfortable. I mean, I guess it does save space.
ReplyDeleteHow cool to be so near your childhood home! And the greenery is so lush. Very fun!
Nachos! That made me hungry. I don't know Kim, but the fact that you had nachos for dinner makes me think I'd like her.
Two Birchie photos in one post, how exciting is that!
I have some paintings that are a) the west coast near Tofino, and b) the Three Sisters in Canmore, and I have been to both of those places! I also have a painting that has Mount Rundle in the background, and I have also been there. Does that count? I'm going to count it, even if it's not as well known as American Gothic.
I know how I feel about the toilet/sink sitch. If I needed a bathroom and that was the only option, I would be happy to have it, but if we're talking about what I want in my home, that's not it.
DeleteI enjoyed reading this so much! I love how you write about your travels! How cool that you got to take your picture in front of the American Gothic house, and at the piano in the FLW house. I'm so happy you decided to stay at the Park Inn Hotel, which is fitting since you've seen so many FLW structures. If you hadn't stayed there, I would've been serioiusly disappointed. I love seeing the Air B&Bs and the Capital buildings too. Thank you for sharing so I can travel virtually with you!
ReplyDeleteGrrr - Capitol!
DeleteLol, I know that there are capital/capitol messups somewhere in the archives of this blog. The only reason that I know the difference is from going to so many of them.
DeleteI absolutely love that you had such a nostalgic start to your trip! What an experience to stay on your home street and walk your old neighbourhood!
ReplyDeleteAs a Lincolnian, I was eager to hear your comments about his Springfield home. I remember actually feeling dizzy looking at the hugely patterned wallpapers in conjunction with that intricate rug. Mary Lincoln was the decorator, and she obviously had some very...er...bold tastes.
These posts are my favourites; I love looking up at the beautiful domes and hearing the history. And I agree that having a dog on any tour is now The Gold Standard. ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES!
Agree - if a capitol doesn't have a dog, what's the point?
DeleteFrom what I've heard on these tours, wallpaper and rug patterns were a bit difficult to come by, so when you had the chance, you went all out! Mary Lincoln sounds like she was a carpe diem kinda gal.
How lovely to stay on the street from your childhood!
ReplyDeleteThat wallpaper made me feel a little sick. Blech.
A dog on your tour? AMAZING. I wonder how many capitols would allow a pet along?
I think the only reason the guide allowed it was because it was a small group, there weren't many people in the building, and because it was a service dog. Actually I think the real reason is that the guide was a dog lover who had lost his dog a few years ago, and was very happy to have the doggy company. These are all valid reasons.
DeleteYum, that pizza does look good!
ReplyDeleteI still have not been to our (IL) state capitol. Oops.
I love the American Gothic house selfie! Yay!
I am glad you liked the Park Inn Hotel! My FiL is staying there next weekend and is VERY excited about it. Like def the highlight of the summer (year?) for him.
Small world! Is your FIL going to the other FLW sites while he's there? I was in room 305.
DeleteBack when I took Amtrak and it went past Springfield, my dinner companion and I had an in depth discussion of Springfield as a capitol. It's a strangely understated city for a capital. No big university, it's not near a body of water. I just didn't get any sense of what it is about as a city while I was there. All of which is to say, that there's a reason why you haven't been there yet.
If you had more time in Minneapolis next week, I would show you our skyways! They have ‘des moines, hold my beer’ energy since they are even more expansive. I used to live along the river and I would walk 2 blocks outdoors and then walk for a mile in the skyways to get to work. They are complicated to navigate, though. I take it upon myself to help any person that appears lost/confused. They are a Godsend during our cold winters!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great trip! My nibbling goes to college in Champaign. How cool to stay so close to your home town!
Skywalk commute! That's awesome. I would have been totally lost without Kim to guide me.
DeleteAnd yes folks, you heard it here! There's more to the story, but I will be in Lisa's town next week!!! Eeeeeeee!!!!!!
DeleteLove to see your travel posts, and FLW. When I lived in Chicago, I used to admire buildings from the outside, I think I saw one house there (can't remember which) but the only FLW site that sticks in my mind is Taliesen West in Scottsdale, AZ. Thanks also for writing about your blogging connection and start - it is really scary to start commenting/blogging within an established community. Those early supporters are special, I agree!
ReplyDeleteTaliesen West is on my list! I don't know when I'll be going to AZ but safe to say that it is high on my list
DeleteYour posts are always so interesting. I think you must be a very interesting person to do all these cool road trips alone. My sister and I once did a very long walk from a hotel in downtown Toronto to East York (prob more than an hour one way, in the rain) Neither of us live in that city any more but spent our early years in the east end. We stood in front of that house and went down memory lane. We both wished very much that we could have gone inside.
ReplyDeleteIdk if I'm an interesting person but I do get up to some interesting things lol. I adore Toronto! I used to go there a lot for work but last year was the first time that I went for vacation and I adored every minute of it.
DeleteOh nice! I must have missed that blog/recap on Toronto. I’ll have to go looking for it!
DeleteI never would have thought a trip to Illinois and Iowa could be this interesting!!! If there's one thing I've learned from your blog, it's that there are interesting things to find everywhere. First of all- staying in and airbnb on the street where you grew up... I would love that so, so much. I have a funny feeling there are no airbnbs on the street where I grew up, but you never know! i"ll have to look into it.
ReplyDeleteSecond.. I love the story about driving through boring cornfields and then suddenly seeing a sign for the American Gothic house. I mean how fun is that?????!
Then, yes I've seen The Music Man many, many times! Trouble, right here in River City! And the tours of the Capitols... and you stayed in the FLW hotel (!!!)AND you met Kim!!! I had no idea your history with Kim goes back so far- you've known her for longer than I have. Did you used to link up with the Weekly Rundown? Is that how we met? Or did we meet through NaBloPoMo??? Anyway, it must have been fun to join her for a walk through the iconic skywalk.
Overall this sounds like an AMAZING trip!!!
Trouble with a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for Pool!!!
DeleteYes, you and I met through the WRD, which is also the connection to San who is the connection to everyone else. It's good to have blogging friends!
I have been to Des Moines and Mason City. My husband is from Iowa. Mason City was on the way between Minneapolis and his parents' house when we lived in Minneapolis, and his aunt and her family live in Des Moines so we've been there for some graduation parties and a wedding. One of the cousin's has just gotten engaged, so maybe we'll be going soon for another wedding?!
ReplyDeleteHow have I never heard of Kim? The blogging world is so weird, isn't it?
Blogging is weird! Since we're not breaking the internet, it's all a word of mouth system. Kim was the hookup to San who I believe is the hookup to everyone else.
DeleteYou met Kim! (And Max!) You saw the Gothic House! (I didn’t even know it existed!) And you stayed in a FLW hotel! This post ticks ALL the Birchie boxes! Oh, and yes, you saw Capitols, of course. 😂
ReplyDeleteSo cool to see two photos of you, too! We’re only missing the one with you and Kim on the skywalk!
I especially loved that you got to know some other ladies on a "50 After 50" quest who just happened to be touring a FLW house, too. There seem to be more people going around with a similar hobby to yours. I think there’s potential for a club here...did you exchange contact details? I'm sure they would be interested to follow your blog!
Well, you have to go to Kim's blog for the Skywalk photo;-)
DeleteThis was such a fun read! All of your travels are inspiring & I love all the details of the places you’ve visited. Yeah, there’s a lot of cornfields in Iowa, LOL!
ReplyDeleteAlso, it was great getting to (finally) meet in person. Max enjoyed it as well :-)
Max is a sweetheart! I loved finally getting to see your home turf after so many years of reading about it. Iowa is awesome!
DeleteI love an unexpected roadside attraction. My best serendipitous one was meteor crater in Arizona right after I had been reading about it. You managed to tick so many of your travel boxes in a relatively short trip.
ReplyDeleteI haven’t been at the site of a famous painting but what a fun discovery. I’m enjoying following along your capital tour. It’s fun to think about the types of trips I would like to take when my travel is less kid focused in the future.
I promise that the kids grow up and then the world is your oyster for travel (both with them and without them).
DeleteA meteor definitely trumps the AG house!
That American Gothic house is CATNIP to me. You'd better believe if I'm ever in the area, I'll be popping in and climbing in the costumes to recreate the photo.
ReplyDeleteI have been at the site of a few famous paintings; most memorably, at the church in Auver sur Oise just outside Paris where van Gogh painted a number of his famous works of art (and took his own life... whomp, whomp).
Domes are so beautiful, eh? I just love looking at the photos. They're mesmerizing. I can't remember if you do photobooks (I feel like no), but I really feel like once you complete this project you need a photobook for all the capitol buildings!
I have a vision of you and John recreating the photo! Some day it will happen!
Delete