Pages

▼

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Weekly Round Up: Shorty


A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  Since we last talked, I went on another trip and I have a million things to tell you about it, but I also want to chit chat about everyday life.  So let's do that today and we'll talk about the trip soon-ish.

Shorty Report

The first thing that I wanted to talk about is some feedback that I've gotten on Doggo from folks who first "met" her on the blog and have now met her IRL.  The universal feedback is that "She looks so big on the blog but she's actually really small".

It's true!  Girlfriend is a shorty.  When we adopted her, she was about seven months old and weighed 21 pounds at her first vet appointment.  The shelter told us that it was impossible to predict how big she would get, and that she might either stay the small or grow into a full size German Shepherd.


From there she gained 1-2 pounds a week, which we knew because we weighed her every week.  With each gain we used to shake our heads and say "she can't go on gaining weight like this" but we also didn't really worry about it.  Her DNA test predicted that her adult weight would be 46 pounds. 

She got up to 40 pounds just to prove that she could, and that's where the scale stopped.  She eats like a horse and every once in a while she will shoot up to something like 40.4 pounds just to prove that she can but then the scale will drop to 38.8 pounds before settling again somewhere in the 39s.

Baby Doggo Sploot


Grown Up Doggo Sploot

I'm not sure if these pictures help to show Doggo's true size, but she was very pleased to learn that her internet persona is the same as the persona in her heart, which is a Huge and Mighty German Shepherd.  She continues to disregard all of the "oh is that a puppy?" comments that we get from passersby on our walks.


Up Coming Blog Plans Report

I'll be writing about the trip that I took last week very soon, just as soon as I buckle down and get it written.  In the meantime, it has come to my attention that I am woefully behind on blogging about state capitols and state flags.  As of last week my stats were that I had toured 30 state capitols and 5 provincial legislatures, and yet I've only done one round up of 10 capitols and two state flag posts (state flags here, provincial flags here).  What do you do when you have a problem?  You fix it!  I've got a "capitol" post drafted (for the provincial legislatures) which will get Canada fully up to date and then I'm going to start chipping away at flags and capitols until we're current.

Numbers wise, I left off with eight state flags, so the next flag post will cover seven flags to get us up to 15 and then we'll cover both flags and capitols/legislatures in blocks of five.

I don't want to drop regular blogging, so the tentative plan is to post twice a week until we're caught up - one weekly round up or travel post and then one flag/capitol post.

Up Coming Travel Plans Report

I don't plan my travel super far in advance because I don't need to, but it has also come to my attention that winter is on the way and that fall is an ideal time to visit the North East states.  Like Doggo, these states are small so it should be possible to mow a good number of them down before the weather gets too rough.  But I also have a few things that I need to do at home so I'll be staying put for the next few weeks.

Also, at the beginning of this year I had only visited 12 states, I'm now at 30, and if everything goes to plan I will have been to 39 states before mid November...it's crazy how much progress you can make by eating an elephant one bite at a time.

Sadly I've realized that I won't make it back to Canada this year, other than the hour or so that I was there in July, but as far as I'm concerned it's Game On for 2027.  Plus thanks to Elisabeth I can now spell Saskatchewan without looking it up!  I just need to work a bit more on the pronunciation


That's enough random stuff, let's get into proper Round Up stuff.

Eats

My version is not very photogenic, but I now have a go-to home ramen recipe that I can endorse.  If I'm being very honest, which I am, 99.9% of my homemade endeavors are not better than just making Top Ramen.


The winner is Sarah's Vegan Kitchen 15 minute miso ramen, which I only made on a whim because I was craving something warm and ironically I had plain ramen noodles but did not have any Top Ramen so I needed a soup base.  I made the following substitutions: peanut butter instead of tahini because that's what I had, skipped edamame and green onions because I didn't have those, used Costco frozen broccoli and some frozen fried tofu squares for convenience, and also "de-veganized" the recipe by throwing an egg on top because I wanted to.  I wasn't clear on how much water I was "supposed" to add to the soup base, so I went with what filled the bowl.  It was pretty good/not too much trouble so I would make this again, at least until my next visit to the Asian store.

Workouts

Not much to report.  We now have fall-like temperatures, which means that longer dog walks are an option.  This is good for me and of course even better for Doggo.



Watching

I finished season two of UK Traitors, and I'm taking a breather but I'll be continuing on shortly.

In the meantime, I came across a list of recommended shows for people who are trying to learn Spanish, which took me to a Netflix show called La Casa de las Flores.  Now mind you, at my level I have to use the subtitles so I'm not sure if it's really doing anything to help my Spanish, but it's a fun show.


Reading
  • I finished Heft, which was a ๐Ÿ˜ป๐Ÿ˜ป๐Ÿ˜ปread for me.  What I said before, it's about someone with an unhealthy coping mechanism who is (presumably) learning a different way, and about found family.  Plus I always love it when an ending isn't spelled out and the reader has to do a bit of work instead of passively bobbing along.
  • I continued my Little House audio re-read with By the Shores of Silver Lake on my trip.  A summary so far:
    • Little House in the Big Woods.  Laura is five and most of the book is a description of food and how to hunt/harvest it.
    • Little House on the Prairie.  Road trip time!  By which I mean covered wagon time.  The Ingalls move, settle down, build a house, and then find themselves on the losing end of a land war between the US Government and the native tribes.  There are a few sentences about that which do not make for good story time reading in the present day.
    • On the Banks of Plum Creek.  Dugout time!  Also Grasshopper Plague time.
    • By the Shores of Silver Lake.  Whoa, things get dark fast!  The story abruptly jumps forward five years.  Mary is blind from scarlet fever and Jack dies.  Then everyone gets on a train and moves west and at the end of the book they're starting to build a little town called De Smet.
  • Currently: a comfort read.  Elisabeth put Always Pack a Candle on my radar, which is the author's memoir of her time as a nurse in rural BC in the early 60s.  I was very excited to learn that she wrote a sequel, which is Always on Call: Adventures in Nursing, Ranching, and Rural Living, which picks up in 1975 when the author was raising her children.  There's nothing fancy going on here: it's just a real person writing about her real life and I adore it.
I don't have a "next" book to go to after Always on Call, so I'm taking my time with it.

Peace out!  Can you spell/pronounce Saskatchewan?



30 comments:

  1. The Shores of Silver Lake is kind of dark and depressing, whoa. Also, as an adult I think of Ma with all those daughters, around all those railroad workers...no wonder she was nervous. Also I find as an adult that Plum Creek is super depressing. I loved it as a kid though, but looking back...whoa.
    Doggo is teeny!
    18 states in 9 months is amazing, Birchie!
    Of COURSE I can spell and pronounce Saskatchewan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's like when I was young all that I saw was the trips in the covered wagon, living in the dugout, and getting to build new houses. LH is dark!

      You have 60 pounds more of dog than I do!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed Heft! It was a 5-star read for me. I always have slightly mixed feelings about ambiguous endings (it never QUITE feels complete to me), but it worked in this case and I genuinely cared about all the characters.
    Always on Call is a good read (though I preferred Always Pack a Candle). I feel like her life stories would make a fun TV series! (Reminds me a bit of Call the Midwife, just more rustic and Canadian.)
    My husband has been on a ramen kick! He adds all sorts of veggies and spices and an enormous amount of broth. It is definitely comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had John's cooking, so I know that all ramen in your house is definitely better than Top Ramen!

      Delete
  3. Also! I had more things to say and hit Publish too soon (was distracted by our group text!):
    That is an amazing number of States crossed off your list this year alone. Woot, woot.
    I can spell and pronounce Saskatchewan and now you can, too. Ironically, I'm pretty sure you'll visit Saskatchewan before I ever make it there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, yes of course Doggo would be pleased to know that she IS big, after all- at least on your blog. I actually didn't realize that she wasn't a full-size German Shepherd, but now I can see it.
    That ramen looks GOOD. I'm always trying to come up with things my daughter will eat, and I think this would be a good one. I just ran out of miso though, so I'll put it on my grocery list. I notice she suggests garlic and ginger paste- did you use those?
    Looking forward to the trip report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a real garlic clove and chopped jarred ginger.

      Since I've known Doggo since she was a puppy, I probably see her as being smaller than she actually is, just like the kids seem small even though they are full grown adults. It was just so funny that her pictures are coming across to others as "full grown German Shepherd".

      Delete
  5. I get a weekly update from my language-learning app, KwiziIQ, and it keeps reminding me that watching shows is one of the most effective ways to learn a language. I think your Spanish show is a goldmine, with or without subtitles!

    I have to check out the UK version of "The Traitors". Do you know "The Gentlemen" on Netflix? I really enjoyed that one.

    Your state-capitol/flag backlog is clearly a blogging emergency! 30 states this year, with 39 by November, is amazing. One bite of the elephant at a time indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I wish that watching shows was the only thing needed to learn a language! I'm not sure how much it helps but it doesn't hurt, that's for sure.

      Delete
  6. Your summaries make me nostalgic to reread the Little House books. I need to finish Lion, Witch, Wardrobe and then maybe I can convince the kiddo she wants to dive in to some Laura Ingalls Wilder.

    Doggo is SO beautiful, as you both are well aware. And she definitely has BDE - Big Dog Energy.

    Looking forward to your capitols and flags reviews as well as your trip posts! Okay, looking forward to ANY Birchie post.

    (This is Suzanne.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BDE!!! How did I miss that??????? THANK YOU SUZANNE!!!!!!!

      Delete
  7. Unless I pronounce it wrong in my head, I feel like Saskatchewan is not super-hard to remember how to spell… or maybe it’s because I am pronouncing it the German way (every letter as spelled). Is that wrong?

    Doggo is so pretty… and I am sure she makes up size with her personality :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct! She is a big dog in a small package.

      Delete
  8. Doggo is so beautiful! I especially love the Grown Up Doggo Sploot photo. She's a superstar! I'm very happy about and looking forward to your twice weekly posts! The Capitol tours are fascinating to me. It's funny because I know how to pronounce Saskatchewan, (I knew someone from Moose Jaw) but I don't know if I could've spelled it if asked on the spot. I mean..now I can, but before seeing it in this post...not so sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth really did us a service with her post! The number of people in this world who can spell Saskatchewan has increased by at least two.

      Delete
  9. Doggo is the perfect size. Too big and I don’t want to deal with their poop, but too small is just too small. My ideal has always been 30 - 50 lbs which puts her right there in the perfect spot.

    I’m looking forward to your posts getting caught up, and glad you are going to be staying local in a couple of weeks!

    I’ve had Top Ramen many times, and have had pho a few times, but last year my friends and I went to an amazing ramen place in Oakland…it was SO GOOD. I don’t even want to try to make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doggo said thank you for recognizing that she is perfect in everything, including size.

      True confession: I don't want to make fancy ramen either, apart from the rare time that I wanted something kind of similar and didn't want to leave the house. I'm adding a mental note to go to the place in Oakland the next time I am in your area.

      Delete
  10. If you go to Springfield (MA, I guess I should clarify) you should definitely go to Northampton. It is a cute little Berkeley-esque college(ish) town with a fun vibe, knitted items on poles (who doesn't love a good knitted item on a pole?) and fun restaurants.

    Your ramen looks good! One of my go-to items at home is ramen made with the brown rice noodles by Lotus, tofu, a scoop of miso paste, some dashi and add-whatever-else-is-in-the-fridge. It takes all of five minutes, is warm and hearty and satisfying! I always forget to put an egg in though, although I really enjoy it a lot when I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noted on Springfield MA! I heard once that you have to have a minimum of three for a collection, so once I go there I will have a collection of Springfields. I'm not sure if MA can top Springfield OH (which is spite of what you heard, is a place where no cats or dogs were eaten) but I am sure that Springfield IL will remain in last place. TBD!

      Delete
  11. I can pronounce and spell Saskatchewan! I must have been exposed to it often enough as a kid to ingrain it in my memory!!

    You have done a ton of traveling this year! Enjoy your trip to the NE. I crossed Maine off my list of states I’ve been to when I went there for work in May. I have not been to NH or VT, though. I would love to go back and see more of the area, especially Acadia

    I wrongly assumed that Doggo was much bigger!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shorty Doggo! I did not realize she was right around 40 lbs. I would have thought she was much bigger!

    You have done so much traveling! AHH. I will be able to knock 3 states off my list with my New England road trip, so that's fun because I am woefully behind on visiting states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nice thing about the states in that their number is fixed (at least let's assume so because 50 is a nice round number and you-know-who won't always be in power). So 3 is an impressive number to chomp off in one bite!

      Delete
  13. Aww, I love that Doggo is giving little bebe vibes. One of our cats is like that too.

    39! That is amazing!

    We spent time in Saskatoon years back so I can surprisingly spell and say Saskatchewan ๐Ÿ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little bebe vibes! I have died from the cuteness of your words.

      Delete
  14. People STILL ask me if Hannah is a puppy. Sir, she has a grey muzzle, she is a SENIOR. When people ask me her breed, I say she's a mutt who looks like a German shepherd who never grew up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also believed Doggo was larger than she really is. I agree with Julie, she's the perfect size. You've done so much traveling. I was out of town the last two weekends and was contemplating traveling again this weekend, but pretty sure that's been ruled out (my dad's fall is sort of factoring in). I am wondering, do you ever tire of traveling? Like does it sometimes exhaust you to think "Oh, I need to go pack this and that and I need to remember to do that before I leave." - not to mention time changes and flight delays? I guess what I'm saying is I'm exhausted for you. I am listening to a book right now, and I should probably just check out the real book, because I'm only getting to listen to it in small bits. I almost need another road trip to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great question! Traveling does make me tired, but I'm not tired of it at all. The things that I get to see and do while I'm traveling make it all worth while. Right now I'm feeling the push to do more travel because I know that winter will be coming soon, which will of course keep me home.

      Delete