Sunday, December 17, 2017

Weekly Eats: Monday Dec 11 - Sunday Dec 17


A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads
Weekday Breakfasts:
Breakfast Burritos
Avocado Toast

Weekend Breakfasts:
Avocado Toast
Cheese Omelet with Toast

Weekday Lunches:
M&W: Vegetable Enchiladas from the freezer
T: Chili mac leftover from date night
H: General Tso's tofu (frozen meal from Target)
F: Office Christmas Lunch.  Ate all the foods and I regret nothing

Weekend Lunches:
Spinach Artichoke Pasta from the freezer
Eggroll soup via Give Me Some Oven.  Thumbs up!  The only complication was that my four and one half quart dutch oven wasn't big enough.  Next time I'll use less cabbage (the recipe doesn't specify the quantity other than "small") and the full amount of broth (the recipe says 6-8 cups, and after ditching a cup or so of cabbage I only had room for 6 cups).  With that said, I was very happy with it.  It came together very quickly, it's relatively light, and very satisfying.

Weekday Dinners:
M (family meal): Trader Joe's orange chicken.  This was a hit with hubbs and stepson #1, stepson #2 thought it was spicy but still ate it.  Hubbs requested repurchase.
T (family meal): Shepherd's Pie!  I had been toying with the idea of making this for date night, but Tuesday was unexpectedly a snow day.  I spent half an hour sliding around on the side roads before giving up and turning around.  Knowing that I wouldn't have a commute that night, it seemed like the ideal time to cook so I hit up the grocery store on the way home.  Shepherd's Pie is a favorite of the adults in the house but the kids had never had it before.  Stepson #1: thumbs down (he hates mashed potatoes, so this wasn't a surprise).  Stepson #2 questioned why it had peas (my answer: why not?) but ate it without complaint.
W (date night): leftover Shepherd's Pie.
H: (fend for yourself night): Annie's cheese enchiladas
F: (fend for yourself night): Nothing!  I was stuffed from the office party

Weekend Dinners:
Saturday (family meal): Takeout thai.
Sunday (family meal):  Beef Stew with a small loaf of French Bread. We're on a quest for the perfect stew recipe, and this is now in the lead over the last contender from Brown Eyed Baker.  Changes: added two bay leaves, cut the onion waaay down (the recipe is supposed to be 4-6 servings and calls for three onions...wtf?) to just half an onion, and let the carrots and potatoes stew with the rest of the ingredients instead of adding them for just the last 45 minutes.  After 90 minutes the stew looked ready and we were hungry, so we cut the cooking time short.  Verdict: thumbs up from adults, thumbs down from kids.  Chocolate chip cookies (dough made some time ago and kept in the freezer) for dessert.

Food Prep: Eggroll Soup for lunches, winging it for dinners.  We have one serving of leftover thai plus one bowl of stew to get started on.
Other:   
 
Workouts: the usual treadmill runs and walks.  I'd been struggling with the transition from outdoor running to treadmill running, and I feel like it's finally getting easier.  2nd week in a row with no weight workouts so that I could meet the mileage for my work cardio challenge.  Just one more week at 26 miles and we're done.  Workout anomally of the week: I skipped a workout!  And yes I'm happy about it.  I work out first thing in the morning, so it's really rare for me to miss workouts.  But on Friday it was so warm in bed (and so cold out of bed), I knew I had enough miles in, so I happily traded the workout for an extra hour of sleep.
 
Watching (from the treadmill): Call the Midwife
 
Watching (from the couch): Brooklyn 99 for date night, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, A Christmas Story (first time for the kids, I hadn't seen it since I was their age)
 
Reading: Lilac Girls


Your turn:
  • What are you cooking this week?
  • What are you reading and watching?
  • Favorite beef stew recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment