Sunday, January 28, 2018

Weekly Eats: Monday Jan 22 - Sunday Jan 28


A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  2nd Trader Joe's run in as many weeks.  I treated my men to some roses.

Weekday Breakfasts:
Breakfast Burritos
Homemade Egg McMuffins
English muffin with cheese

Weekend Breakfasts:
Homemade Egg McMuffin
Trader Joe's cereal bar with a glass of kefir
Weekday Lunches:
(lunches from the epic lunch prep a few weeks ago)
M: Thai curry
T&H: Spinach-mushroom-artichoke stuffed shells
W&F: Veggie burrito

Weekend Lunches/Meal Prep:
A girl can't live on freezer food alone, so I made up a few things for lunches and fend for yourself dinner nights this week.
Saturday: Pasta with sundried tomatoes and artichokes a.k.a "Pasta with All The Things". 



Sunday: Thai Sweet Potato Noodle Bowls. I added a lemon grass stalk and a few dried lime leaves.  Next time I will simmer the lemon grass and lime leaves in the sauce instead of with the vegetables.


Weekday Dinners:
M (family meal): Leftover chimichangas from Sunday.

T (family meal): I was the last one home, and I forget what everyone else ate, I think it was hot dogs and noodles.  I had a chicken sausage, sweet potato, and peas.

W (date night): Pan fried chicken breast with mashed potatoes and broccoli.  I got the idea from Anne's description of a Blue Apron meal in this post.  It's as simple as it sounds, just plain ol' boneless, skinless chicken breast pounded out thin and pan fried in a little bit of butter.

Followed by his n' hers desserts.
Apparently we missed Valentine's day and had to go straight to Easter for our Reese's Eggs.  And I'm OK with that because the eggs have the most peanut butter of any of the Reese's seasonal treats.  The his n' hers is an ongoing joke with us, my husband hates white chocolate and I adore it.

H (fend for yourself night): chicken sausage, sweet potato, and peas.
F (family meal): Stepson #1 went to scout camp (I gave him a rose out of the bouquet to take with him), and stepson #2 was happy to take on the role of only child.  Dinner was hamburgers and french fries.

Weekend Dinners:
S (family meal): Chicken parm per hubs request.  Between you and me, I overcooked the chicken, though no one complained except for me.  After dinner, our neighbors came over for movie night.  I raided the freezer to put a dessert tray together.  We had a few oreo balls leftover from the birthday party two weeks ago, and chocolate chip and peanut butter cookie dough in the freezer.  Side note, I always wonder how long is too long to keep things in the freezer.  The chocolate chip cookie dough was from sometime in November (the only reason we'd had it so long was because of the holidays), and the peanut butter cookie dough dates back to this summer.  The chocolate chip cookies were as good as new, and the peanut butter cookies were good but maybe just a little shy of wow.  So I'm going to say that six months is too long for cookie dough.

Su (family meal): Tacos, cilantro lime rice, and guac to celebrate stepson #1 returning from scout camp alive.

Meal Prep: lunches as noted above, and we have at least two meals worth of tacos.

Trader Joe's Haul Deets:
Fig cereal bars (the primary fuel source for stepson #2's growth spurt), avocados, produce for pasta and thai noodle bowls.  Everyone says that TJ's produce is a rip off, but I left the store with better quality stuff than I get at our local stores and was under budget enough to get a dozen roses for my men.

Other:
Workouts: standard fare of treadmill walks and runs, two weight lifting days.  I'm starting to see some progress in my new year's fitness goals (running continues to get easier/faster, more power in my pushups).

Watching (from the treadmill): A Place to Call Home for running.  It's a Great Life to accompany lifting.  My lifting workout for the entire month of January has been this one.  For February, I'm either going to check out other Peanut Butter Runner workouts or do something from Fitnessista.
 
Watching (from the couch): Band of Brothers.  Movie night was The Last Starfighter, one of the first movies to use CGI.

Reading: The Way of the Warrior Kid by Jocko Willink (everyone else in the family has read this, so it was my turn.  A wimpy kid's Navy Seal uncle stays for the summer and turns the kid into a a lean mean fightin' machine.  Hubs got it as a hint to the stepsons to take on more responsibilities).  Emily of New Moon by Lucy Maude Montgomery (aka Anne of Green Gables).  
Your turn:
  • What are you cooking this week?
  • What are you reading and watching?
  • What are your go-tos at Trader Joe's?  Mine are coffee, frozen chicken breasts, chicken sausage, frozen spinach, and Jasmine rice.
  • Ladies, do you ever buy flowers for your men?

No comments:

Post a Comment