Sunday, June 10, 2018

Weekly Eats: Mon June 4 to Sun June 10


A weekly roundup: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  Chimichurri edition.




Weekday Breakfasts



Weekend Breakfasts
 
S: cheese omelet, chicken sausage, and toast
Su: cereal bar and string cheese

Weekday Lunches
The salad crush continues.  I picked up a bad of Cashew Crunch salad mix from Costco and added another smaller bag of salad greens, red pepper, cucumber, and avocado.
M&T: Salmon.  I pan fried two servings of salmon at home last Sunday and heated it up for about 20 seconds in the microwave just to get the chill out (yes, fish in the microwave at work is a very touchy subject).  The Monday salmon was delicious, the Tuesday salmon didn't appreciate being kept in the fridge for so long and was a little dry.
W&H: Hardboiled Egg
F: Grilled Shrimp



Weekend Lunches


S: Grilled Shrimp Salad with the last of the salad mix and veggies (sniff,  no red pepper or avocado).  I was also out of dressing so I searched for sesame oil dressings and made a single serving portion of this
Su: Costco samples and snacks




Weekday Dinners

Monday (family meal): leftover Chicken enchiladas via Gimme Some Oven with cilantro lime rice.  I'd gotten us an avocado but it wasn't ripe yet so we broke into our stash of Holy Guacamole snack packs.

Tuesday (rushed family meal/fend for yourself night): I was the last one home and grabbed the very last enchilada.  By now the avocado was ripe so I made used 1/3 of it make guac.

Wednesday (date night): If I do say so myself, I rocked this one.  The garden was bursting with cilantro, so it was clearly Chimichurri time.  I made the sauce on Tuesday night, so when I got home all that I had to do was put the chicken and zucchini on the grill and make pasta.

Thursday (fend for yourself night): Thursday is my dedicated house cleaning night, so usually I pull something out of the freezer and call it good.  But there was a little bit of chimichurri sauce, zuchhini, and pasta left over from the night before, and I had a pound of shrimp in the freezer, so I got inspired.  I alternated cleaning projects with thawing the shrimp and letting the grill heat up.  I don't know how I've gone this long in my adult life without grilling shrimp, and I don't think I'll ever be able to have them any other way.  I grilled them with the shells on.

Friday (date night): BBQ restaurant = ribs.

Weekend Dinners
Saturday: One of my best friends got married.  Steak, twice baked potatoes, cake, and good times with my besties and our spouses.  Congrats N&J!


Sunday (family meal): There was still enough cilantro in the garden for another batch of chimichurri.


Meal Prep
  • Leftover chimichurri and grilled chicken
  • Another batch of breakfast burritos
  • Chicken burritos for the freezer for hubs.  Shredded chicken via the crockpot, green salsa, cheese, and rice.
  • My salad crush is still going strong, so I picked up another bag of cashew crunch salad mix & fixings and grilled up more shrimp.
Diet Update
Last week I wrote about my struggles with wanting to lose weight and wanting to run all the miles (a.k.a serving two masters).  The weakest link in my diet is afternoon snacking (how do I know?  Because I keep a food journal, that's how, and that's where I have the hard data to see that what feels like a few bites in the moment add up into a couple of extra hundred calories and not being hungry at dinner time).  Although I'm fairly busy the afternoons can drag and/or I get stressed and it's all too easy to stop by the snack table to take the edge off.  What to do...I brainstormed and came up with something a little strange but it worked so well that I gotta tell ya about it.  Basically I rewarded myself for not snacking by giving myself a pat on the back at regular intervals throughout the afternoon.

On Monday I wrote out the afternoon in 15 minute increments.  For each 15 minute interval that I didn't snack, I gave myself a check mark.  At the end of the day, I give myself a check mark on my desk calendar.  I repeated this each day and have a nice streak of check marks on my calendar.
Not only didn't I snack, but the afternoons have been flying by and I've been getting a ton of work done (because I'm not constantly interrupting myself to go snack?).  I'm not weighing myself for the entire month of June, so I can't say whether I lost any weight but my clothes feel looser.  So stay tuned and we'll see how this pans out.

Workouts
Ah the downside of a good dieting week.  Tuesday and Thursday runs weren't pretty because I didn't have the extra energy stored up to tackle them.  Gotta take your knocks.

M: Weights and one mile treadmill run.
T: 4 mile treadmill run.
W: Off
H: Treadmill interval run.
F: Weights and one mile treadmill run.
S: 6 mile outdoor run.
Su: off
Still doing: Popsugar's 100 pushup challenge.

Watching
(From the treadmill): A Place to Call Home for running, How to Get Away with Murder for weights.  I love a Place to Call Home, so I'm making it last by only watching it with runs.  As far as How to Get Away with Murder, I thought that I wouldn't be into it since I burned out on Grey's Anatomy after a few seasons and never got into Scandal.  But folks kept recommending it so I tried it out and so far I really like it.

(From the couch): Halt and Catch Fire (finished season 2, dying to start season 3), Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Reading
Dover Goes to Pott

No comments:

Post a Comment