Sunday, December 20, 2020

Weekly Sweats: A Mixed Bag

 

In this week's news: it was the best week of strength training I've had in a long, long time.  I'd say it wasn't a great week for running, except I got to run so that's not true.  19 miles of running.

I'm linking up with the Weekly Run Down, please head over to Kim and Deborah to check it out. 

Things going down in my fitness world:

  • I've broken up with the Peloton app.  I went from doing a workout every single day the first week to one workout total for this week.  With that said, I got a ton of ideas from it, I'm glad I tried it, and yes I would recommend looking into it.
  • Ooh ooh ooh!  I've found something on the strength training front to take its place and had the most satisfying week in strength training that I've had for a long time.  I'm going to get a bit further into the program before I say what it is (because I change my mind a lot on this stuff and it's useless if I say "X is the greatest thing on earth" and then come back in a few weeks and say "yeah, X was not for me".  For now I will say that it's a library book and if I'm still doing the program once I get past the maximum renewals I will buy the book and say what it is.
  • Running continues to be a struggle.  I have to think that continuing with low mileage for a few more weeks will clear that out.  But I sure do miss the speed and ease that I had just a few months ago.

Monday: weights followed by 3.25 sluggish miles.

Tuesday: usually I won't run outside if it's under 30, but it was a day when "under 30" was the only thing wrong...the roads were clear, the sun was out, and there was no wind.  I set out for 3 miles and found myself crawling.  No big, we all know that not every run is a great run.  The first mile eventually passed, then the second, and out of no where the word "strides" popped into my head and I started doing strides every time that I came to a cross street.  The third mile passed in a heartbeat, and I kept going for an extra quarter mile (my sneaky way of getting extra mileage) but got distracted and overshot my distance.  3.5 miles total for the day and all felt right in my running world.

Wednesday: weights

Thursday: icy roads had me down in the basement.  3 miles with a bunch of 30 second speed bursts.  And yes, you may have noticed that I can't bear to do the sneaky extra quarter mile on the tready.  All told things felt pretty good.

Friday: weights and then 3 treadmill miles.  I was good and ran at an easy pace instead of trying to duplicate the previous day's speed bursts.

Saturday: whomp whomp.  Can we just not talk about this run?  OK, fine.  I wasn't feeling it from the get go.  It was hard.  It was slow.  There was a headwind in all directions.  It kills my ego every time that I see a >12:00 overall pace for a run.  BUT...I wasn't forcing myself to be out there and told myself that I could stop any time and never felt like stopping.  6.25 miles.

Sunday: off and looking forward to seeing what next week will bring.

16 comments:

  1. I hope you find a strength training program that you like! There are lots of options out there so its all about finding something you will stick with. We had snow/ice here this week plus my stroller is still broken so I ran alot less. I need to prepare myself for more treadmill runs in the coming weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too because winter isn't going anywhere! You and I both no strangers to the mill, but it's tough to adapt to it as long as there are other options.

      Delete
  2. I'm excited to hear about your strength program. I can't remember if I ever told you about P90X? It's rather ancient now, but it was a perfect fit for me (10 years ago) because I could do all of it in my home. Although I haven't done the full program since, I have done variations of a lot of the workouts ever since. Anyways, we have to do what works for US and our goals, so take your time in figuring out what's gonna be "the one" for you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll be able to stick with this one. We'll see! I've found that there is a "max" for strength programs, as in once I've done one "x" times I just can't do it any more. So very different than running.

      Delete
  3. Speed and ease? What's that? I forget lol

    I tried the peleton app but decided it wasn't worth it for me right now. There are so many free online programs if I really want to look into it.

    Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I really got some good ideas from my brief time with the app, but I couldn't figure out which classes to take, it was all hit or miss, and I couldn't see how I was going to progress in my fitness since a lot of the workouts seemed similar.

      Delete
  4. well I am glad that you are enjoying strength training so much. Surprised you broke up with Peloton and I am very curious to hear what you found to replace it. have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're one of only a couple of people I know who didn't love the Peloton app. I suppose now that I have a bike, I should try it. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job on your strength training! That's one area I always struggle..hope you find your running mojo soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your new possible program works for you. I'm the same with littered half starts, but some things just work.
    Hope running is at least starting to trend better

    ReplyDelete
  8. No more Peloton? No way! Nothing wrong with an overall pace of over 12:00. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had some runs that I just don't feel like at all. A lot more recently. I usually power through but that pace especially when you know what a good run feels like, can be quite disheartening. Well, at least you got it done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, now you've got me curious about what workout book you're using. I hope it continues to inspire you to keep up your strength training workouts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My running has definitely taken a hit with cooler weather and short daylight hours, but I've been really enjoying the Peloton app!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My ego is almost untouchable at this point. I have some slow runs, especially long runs. It's hard to swallow, but if they feel good, I can't be too upset.

    I feel like you - I start out liking something, and then lose interest over time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are lots of strength options out there, but its hard to find the right one for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete