Wednesday, June 28, 2023

How I Spent My Summer Vacation

Friends, I just got back from a one week long solo vacation.  I grabbed my passport and went on an island bender.  Four islands in seven days!

Hmmm...you know that I don't like to fly and that I keep an eye on my budget, so where could this exotic locale be?

I'm so glad that you asked.

Here's the big picture:

I dunno about you, but before last summer if I thought about Lake Erie at all, I thought about this:

But if we zoom in on the western side over near Toledo and Detroit, what we actually have is this:

Last year I spent a bit of time on the US islands.  This year I wanted to one up by going north to add the big Canadian island to my island collection.  I also thought that it would be fun to "drive" my car across Lake Erie via the ferry, so my vacation path looked like this:

Trip Planning

My goal was Pelee Island, and naturally I picked the week to line up with my family's big Boy Scout camping trip==>when they go away, I go away.  I wasn't sure exactly what was on Pelee except that people love it and it's huge so I figured that this was more than a one day thing...hmm...3 days?

In the doldrums of winter I found myself browsing Airbnb and decided that I might as well go ahead and book somewhere to stay since real estate on an island is limited and things fill up.  I spied a cute little beach cottage that wasn't too expensive and had rave reviews.  I was <this close> to booking it when something made me go back and read through the listing one more time.  I saw the list of things that were not provided - no washing machine no problem, yada yada...oh...no wifi?  In 2023????

Whew I dodged myself a bullet there.  I moved on to another listing...huh no wifi here either.  Next listing...hmmm I sense a theme.  There's no wifi on Pelee Island.  I knew from experience that the cell signal is spotty on the US side, so I adjusted expectations for a possible non internet stay.  Did I still want to go?  You know it!

I grabbed a cottage but the booking had to be approved by the hosts first.  They got back to me right away, and their criteria for acceptance was making sure that I was aware that this is an island and what was my plan to get there.  They said that they weren't sure if the US side ferry would be running in early June, so was I cool with going in from the Ontario side?

Man, Pelee was just mocking me at every turn.  I didn't want to drive to Ontario and then drive back, but that might be the price of going to Pelee Island.  OK, fine.

I made sure to get my ferry reservation as soon as I could, which was in March [note: ferry service stops in winter because...ice...and restarts in the spring].  I knew from the US side that there's always room to fit another person on the boat, but not necessarily enough room to fit another car.  By shear coincidence, my last day on the island lined up perfectly with the US ferry, so my dream of driving across Lake Erie would come true after all.

I didn't plan the rest of my trip until closer to go time.  I wasn't sure what was on the Ontario side but I figured that if I went there I'd find something to do - better get there a day before the ferry in case something weird happened at the border, eh actually let's get there two days before so I can spend one day traveling and one day chilling out.  I took note that the top attraction of the area was a place called Point Pelee National Park, so I figured I should check out the "other" Pelee while I was there.  

For the back side of the week, I love the US islands so I was down with spending more time there.  But which one?  There are a lot of islands, but for purposes of ones with ferry service, there are three.  

  • Middle Bass Island is the smallest island with ferry service, and it's known for having nothing on it.  This made it a strong contender.
  • Put in Bay is known as the "party island" and gets a bad rap.  However, in my previous trips I'd loved everything that I'd seen there and I still had a long list of things to do.  
  • Kelleys Island is the fan favorite but my previous visits had been on the meh side.  I'd seen more obnoxious partying there than on Put in Bay plus there was less stuff to do.  It was a solid number three on my priority list.
I really couldn't decide and also island lodging prices were a bit steep for my taste.  I settled on staying on the mainland for cheap so that I could go to all of the islands without committing to any one of them.

This spring I got a bike, which I told you was because I was visiting places where it wasn't convenient to take a car.  Such as...an island.  Let me be perfectly clear that you *can* take a car to all of these islands, but it's not the most desirable form of transportation.  On both Put in Bay and Kelleys the go-to for wheels is a golf cart.

Itinerary

In the end, my week looked like this:

Sunday: drive from home to Leamington, Ontario, crossing the border at Detroit/Windsor.

Monday: hang out in Leamington, hit up Point Pelee National Park.

Tuesday: take the ferry to Pelee, hang out on island.

Wednesday: hang out on Pelee.

Thursday: hang out on Pelee.

Friday: take the ferry from Pelee to Sandusky, Ohio.

Saturday: go to Middle Bass and Put in Bay.

Sunday: go to Kelleys and then go home.

What Happened Next

Lots of things!  We need to talk about Pelee Point, Pelee Island, Middle Bass Island, Put in Bay, and Kelleys Island...five places so there are five post yet to come over the next few weeks.

Have you ever been to any of these places?  Somebody please make my day and tell me that you've been to Pelee Island!


26 comments:

  1. Never been there - never even knew there were major islands in Lake Erie - though it makes sense since it's such a huge lake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously who knew??? I always thought of Lake Erie and such a dull place before I went out to explore. Now I'm wondering what other islands are on the Great Lakes.

      Delete
  2. I did NOT know there were islands on Lake Erie! This sounds like an awesome trip. I hope that my husband and boys have something they can do together, like a dad/sons golf trip and I can go do what I'd like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get them into Boy Scouts! Then they'll have lots of things to do together!!!!

      Delete
  3. In college (Bowling Green in Ohio), my friends and I went to Put In Bay! That's how I knew these islands were there! It is the one and only time I've ever driven a golf cart and it was so much fun! I can't wait to hear about the actual trip.

    (Also, I have an unhealthy relationship with bridges, as in I was in Minneapolis when the I-35W bridge collapse and have not been comfortable going over them since. Your route...seemed scary to me. I'm comforted that you did take a ferry rather than literally drive over Lake Erie, but for a moment I just imagined a giant bridge and was very nervous for you.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Small world! You'll be seeing some familiar sights when we get to that part of the trip.

      Yikes I remember the Minneapolis bridge collapse and I got freaked out enough sitting on my couch and watching the news. I'm not particularly nervous about bridges but I only had the one through Toledo and Detroit/Windsor to get through. An entire bridge over Lake Erie would be a bit much.

      Delete
  4. I have never been to any of these islands! Very cool that you went island hopping though. Loved the backstory and the planning process. Looking forward to the next episode! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good time. When in doubt go island hopping!

      Delete
  5. Island hopping! That is SO fun and SO "Birchy!" I have not ever been to those islands and so I am dying to hear all about them. Your trips give me LIFE. I love hearing all about your adventures, you are the epitome of blooming where you are planted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stories are on the way! In return I get to hear about your new town.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a fun trip! I have heard of the Pelee islands but have never been to them. I actually have only briefly been to any of the great lakes and would definitively like to go and explore all of them a lot more! I know there is some great hiking and beaches and lots of other things to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sad to say that before last year I had a very stuck up and snooty attitude toward the Great Lakes. Now that I know better I am doing better!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for including the maps! That really helps.
    This is really interesting - I'm curious to learn more about these islands. Amazing what I'm learning from reading blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of all of the amazing places that you have taken us on your blog...

      Delete
  8. This sounds so so fun! I have not been to any of those but can't wait to hear about your trip!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea there were Islands in lake Erie! I have not spent much time in that area and would love to visit - I always forget how close Detroit is to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. I've never even heard of these places! What a great idea for a trip. I can't wait to read on...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, love, love that you planned this solo trip. Sadly, I can't say I've been to the islands or Lake Eerie for that matter, but I am looking forward to your trip recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never go anywhere near Lake Erie if I was in Northern California;-) Oceans, mountains, redwoods....

      Delete
  12. Look at that I learned something new! Never been to these islands and never knew that there are islands on Lake Erie! Thank you for a detailed account of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the islands are kind of Lake Erie's best kept secret. When Lake Erie makes the news it's for lake effect snow, boating accidents, and toxic algae. It's not exactly great PR. Then you go there and it's like "whoa, this is a neat place that no one talks about".

      Delete
  13. I had no idea there were islands in lake Erie either, though I guess it makes sense. I have a blog friend who lives on Manitoulin Island in Lake Huron. I'm looking forward to reading about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot figure out where you live - but I am so glad you were able to get to the lake so easily, and explore so many different places! Can't wait to read the place-specific recaps. :)

    ReplyDelete