Monday, April 15, 2024

Weekly Round Up: Squad Goals


A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  In this week's edition we had a family Taylor Swift girls night, a family eclipse viewing, and Doggo started school.

An Insta Reboot

I've been debating what to do with my Insta account.  I stopped posting when I stopped running, and it's fine because it's not like I need another hobby on top of life and my other hobbies.  But...in the end I guess I was motivated to post for the same reason I blog.  Part of being at a party is contributing to the party.

At the same time, I've fallen behind on travel recaps and it would be nice to have a place to give a Reader's Digest version and to shout out the cool places where I've been....

So this week I finally got off my butt and started posting a recap of the trip I went on last weekend.  After that I'll slowly do my March trip and then I'll go back to the beginning of my travels.  Oh I'll still do the longer form blabby trip recap for the blog, it's just that Insta is a faster way to get things out and maybe just maybe one person will see a post and get motivated to go to one of these places.

Eclipse Recap

Team Totality here!  Hubs and I saw a documentary about the eclipse back in December at a science museum and we've been counting it down ever since.  We had an eclipse back in 2017 which was mega cool but not a total one.  It was also in the bad old days when Hubs and I worked in offices so the family was in different places that day.

Fast forward to 2024.  After many jokes that it would just be cloudy like normal, it was a bright, warm, sunny day.  The eclipse occurred a bit after 3, which is normal "get out of school" time around here, so schools were cancelled.

We didn't know how Doggo would react so we settled her in her crate with a treat and then the four of us and everyone else in the 'hood walked down to the neighborhood park.  I failed to do any research on how to photograph the eclipse, but our 16 year old neighbor covered for me:

A fun fact that we learned at the museum is that there are "total chasers" - people who travel to see full eclipses.  I think the Hubs and I might have to add that to our list of hobbies.

Squad Goals

On Friday I left my house full of men and headed over to SIL#3's house for a girls' night.  Four of us got together to watch Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour.  SIL#3 and niece saw the show live last summer.

We got Chipotle and SIL#3 made some fun drinks with a sugar crusted glass rims.  I don't really listen to the music that the cool kids listen to so I don't really know any of TS's songs.  So hey, what better way to get up to speed than hearing 44 songs in 3.5 hours?

But seriously - you can count me in as a Swiftie now.  It was a fun night.

Workouts

The only notable thing to report is that now that I've been doing the 12-3-30 workout (12% incline, 3 MPH, 30 minutes) for four months, well no surprise that it's gotten easier.  In full transparency, I think my home treadmill might undershoot the incline just a bit because the two times that I've done the workout on non-home treadmills it's been quite a bit harder.  But in any case I've bumped it up to 13-3-30 and once I max out on incline then I'll look at bumping up the speed.  It's never a problem to make a workout harder.

In my other fitness endeavors, I'm still doing pushups like a boss and things are moving along with my pull up efforts.  I can hold myself up at the top of the bar for a count of 5 up from a count of zero and repeat it 3 times up from being able to repeat it zero times.  I still do 3 x 30 second bar hangs and that's about all I have to say about Operation Pull Up right now.  Once my body tells me that it's ready to increase something I'll increase it.

Watching

Life is funny.  On Friday I spent 3.5 hours watching Taylor Swift and on Saturday I spent 2.75 hours watching a movie called The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.  In case you're not familiar it's a Big Deal 1943 movie about a British soldier's life starting with the Boer War to WWII.

I'm a huge fan of the film makers and you've heard me rave about their other movies A Matter of Life and Death and The Red Shoes many times.  I've seen a lot of their other movies but apart from Black Narcissus nothing really stood out in my memory so I've been wanting to take another look. I'd seen Colonel Blimp a long time ago but all I saw back then was a movie about a bunch of dudes and war and it was a bit of a struggle to stay awake through it.  But something about this watch really resonated and I'm still day dreaming about the movie as I'm writing this two days later.  I think that I came to like war movies more a few years ago when I watched all of the AFI Top 100 movies.  I'd still recommend their other movies over this one, but it was a worthy watch.

Reading

I finished The Breaking Wave by Nevil Shute.  Just as a refresher, this is one of my all time favorite authors, but the reason that I read it was because Jenny read it, so it was kind of an informal Cool Bloggers Book Club.  I think that I probably read this in middle school because a few details of the story were familiar but I really didn't remember it at all so I'm counting this as my first read. The Cliff notes version is that it's about "how a war can go on killing people long after it's all over" (not a spoiler - the teaser quote from the back of the book).  It's about women in the military in WWII and PTSD and it really hits.  Listen, I haven't served in the military either now or in WWII but what he wrote feels true to what I've heard.  I have a feeling that he must have based the main character on someone that he knew.

Since finishing The Breaking Wave I've returned to the next book in the Dover series (spoof of the Great British Detective series) which is Dover Goes to Pott.

For audio books, I picked up a CBBC recommendation The Indifferent Stars Above by Daniel James Brown (recommendation by Engie co-endorsed by Nicole).  It's the story of the Donner party through the viewpoint of one of the women in the party.  I found some parts of the book to be a bit on the dry and draggy side but overall I liked it.  I didn't know much about the Donner party besides that they had a very bad road trip.  I listened to most of it on my latest trip, and I'd definitely recommend it for the road.

If you're in the mood for something similar I'd like to recommend Alive by Piers Paul Read which was recommended to me by Catrina many years ago (seriously...nearly four years ago)==>Cool Bloggers hook other Cool Bloggers up with good books.  As to whether I would ever eat a person, my answer is the same as it was back then: I think my survival instinct would kick in, but I as someone who can barely choke down chicken I think it would take a while for me to get there.  I'd have to eat a lot of shoes first, which was a Donner strategy.

Dawg Report

Last time I shared this picture of Doggo napping hard.  There were quite a few comments about how uncomfortable her neck position looked.

Doggo's response was "hold my beer and watch this".

Both times she only stayed in that position long enough for me to take a picture.

The big exciting dawg news from the past few weeks is that her training is under way.  When we first got her we did a few in home sessions with a trainer, but it was not a good fit.  For Doggo's part, she's territorial about our back room and skittish around strangers, so bringing a stranger into her safe space did not work out.  For the trainer's part, he gave us a few good pointers but he seemed more interested in selling us training sessions than in doing the training, so we parted ways and looked for something else.

In the back of my head I knew that I had heard something somewhere about dog training...oh yes, Engie talked about the American Kennel Club's Training Programs.  These are group classes, so it's training plus socialization, which is very important for dogs.  The only problem was that the classes didn't start until this week, and not having a way to tell Doggo to "stay" or "leave it" was getting to be a headache, so I looked for another option to tide us over.  I found a doggy day care place that has group classes so we've been taking Doggo there for the past two weeks.  For the first class she was very withdrawn and shy, but by the second class she opened up and was her normal delightful self.  On day one of the AKC class she walked in like she owned the place and got right down to work.  AKC is a six week class, and for right now we're going to keep taking her to the other class as well - we like the trainer, Doggo likes being around other dogs, it gives her exposure to other people, and oh yes it's good for us to be around other people with puppies as well.  The goal of training is to have a well behaved dog and not to save money, but I would be remiss not to mention that the sucky trainer was expensive, the doggy day care place is very reasonable, and the AKC class is stupid cheap.

Peace out!  I finally got the post about my March trip written, so I'll be back with that soon.



25 comments:

  1. You must have an spreadsheet with book recommendations in order to track one from 4 years ago! I'm impressed!
    Btw, Netflix made a good film of this tragedy last year, "Society of the Snow". It did not disappoint!
    Oh, and remember my Dad loves Nevil Shute and I got him "No Highway"? (He read it a long time ago but couldn't find the book any more). Now he's read it and he passed it on to me. I'm excited to read it!
    It's amazing how consistent you are with your pressups and pullups. Tracking your progress is so motivating, too. Do you keep a mental note or do you write it down somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No spreadsheet! Alive is a great book so it's one that has stuck in my memory. There are lots of books that I can't remember where I heard about them from, but I think because I liked this one so much and I only heard about it from you that the connection was formed. As for the rest, it was easy enough to do a search on the blog to find when I posted about it long ago. I'll check out Society the next time that I get Netflix.

      Enjoy No Highway!

      I have pushups & pull ups as a to do item that I check off in my planning journal, but at this point they mostly happen on auto pilot. I just know that if it's Monday, Wed, or Fri that it's pushup/pull up day.

      Delete
  2. So much good stuff here! Where to start. Oh! I love your new rebooted IG. I was SO excited to see it pop up into my feed. HERE FOR IT. Also here for that girl time, how fun is that. I don't know many TS songs either except what's played on the Peloton, but I always enjoy them when they come on.
    Wasn't Alive also a movie in the 90s? The one about the rugby team in the Andes? My son has that book.
    Amazing photos of the eclipse! It was a non event here so I really enjoyed hearing about other people's experiences.
    Doggo is rocking the school!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks. Yes Alive is the one about the rugby team. I listened to it on audio in winter while walking the dog, and was very happy to come home to our warm house.

      Delete
  3. I love the idea that you and your husband might become Total Chasers. The eclipse was way cooler than I was anticipating and I definitely want to catch the next one!

    What a fun intro to Taylor Swift. I love that it turned you into a Swiftie. That drink looks marvelous, too! My kid did a music class that was ALL about TS, so I heard nothing but TS songs, all day, every day, for about a semester. Good thing I am a TS fan already! I think my kid is a little burnt out on Taylor, though -- we haven't heard any TS since the class ended.

    Your experience with Doggo's training sounds like an adventure already, and I'm so glad to hear you've found a good combo of classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek an entire semester of TayTay sounds like a bit much. I'd watch Eras again though.

      Delete
  4. I am one of the lame people without social media so I will keep showing up at the blog looking for every picture I can get of your adventures!
    Love the picture of the eclipse. It got noticeably darker here, but we weren't close enough to the path of totality to be really wowed by it.
    I'm planning to watch the Eras movie this weekend; my teen is very into Taylor Swift and wants to have some friends over. I don't love all the content - we don't listen to anything other than the radio edits of songs that swear, but she knows the words and I suspect lots of it will go over her head? I'm hoping there's a bit of behind-the-scenes stuff, too? Like showing how quickly she has to do costume changes etc? I will report back!
    Doggo's neck is hilarious. We each have a super power and I guess neck flexibility is his :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy Eras! There really isn't any behind the scenes but they show outtakes during the credits. My SIL and niece who saw the concert said that the movie edited out her costume changes - but in real time they were very quick. But don't worry even without the deets it's still fascinating.

      Delete
  5. Imagine your neck being flexible enough to do that! What a lucky dog!

    I would probably eat people, too, but I also am grossed out by chicken. It would probably be too late by the time I gave in. But it has to be pretty desperate for people to even *consider* it, so maybe I'd be fine. But I feel like survival is survival, right?

    Your training plan sounds great! I love training with Hannah - she's so eager to please me and it's fun to see what she can learn. (Note: She can not figure out left and right. LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the other hand...maybe people taste better than chicken? But hopefully I'll never find out.

      Doggo loves training. The only thing is that she gets too excited and after a few minutes she will just run through all of her tricks regardless of the command or she'll jump at us to get the treat. So we have to keep the sessions short.

      Delete
  6. I’ve been enjoying your IG posts! And, that’s such a great point about engaging at the party if you’re at the party. That’s kind of what made me start my blog.

    My daughter and I enjoyed the Eras movie! I may not be as deep into being a Swiftie as she is, but from an endurance / performance standpoint, that is such an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. The music was almost second to watching her last throughout the night. I read that she trained by singing her songs while running on the treadmill and I can't even imagine.

      Delete
  7. Well, I just finished at the gym where I kicked the incline up to 13% on the CBW. And, is it bad that I would have the same ethical dilemma of eating a human as eating an animal? Yes, that's bad. I probably shouldn't say that out loud.
    I read somewhere recently that seeing a total eclipse is a completely different experience from seeing a partial. After reading yours and other people's descriptions, I'm determined to see the next total eclipse! In 2045. I guess I either have to stay in Florida or become a "total chaser."
    Okay, I'll have to remember how to navigate around IG and read your travel posts. But I'm also looking forward to the blabby versions here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you mean that you wouldn't have the same dilemma with a human? Don't worry, you're with friends here;-) Obviously I eat meat but I feel that when it came down to it I would totally be going off of survival instinct, so it really wouldn't be a decision.

      There isn't much on Insta that you won't get here.

      I think our 2017 eclipse was 80%? Honestly I don't remember because that was when I was a boring recipe blogger so I didn't write about it. But it was still hella cool. The eclipses only last for a few minutes but they are really special.

      Delete
  8. That is so cool that you saw the eclipse (and did you take that photo with your phone? Impressive!) It was only a partial eclipse here and didn't even really got dark... but I once saw a full eclipse in Germany (in 2000, I think) and it was such a cool and eery experience. Did you feel it getting colder?
    I would like to experience one again.

    So excited that you started dog training with Doggo and that she's doing so well. If only more dog owners would realize how much dogs love training and socializing with other dogs... I think they're depriving them of something important if they don't do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't take the photo - my 16 year old neighbor is the one who did the research and took it with her phone;-) Yes it got colder and all of the birds started chirping.

      Eek I can't imagine what it's like to not train and socialize a dog...

      Delete
  9. Zut alors! I think I missed this post! I love the rundown. First of all, you are still going strong on the pushups!? Good for you! I forgot all about that, and of course may have petered out on mine a long time ago...Good news is that yesterday I had to push Bob through snow (again), and my abs are sore today. I am going to be ripped by the time I get to OH :)

    I finished The Breaking Wave too and I enjoyed it! I don't think I had ever read any Shute before, and although at times he writes like a man who writes about war, I enjoyed it. I wish I could move on to the Dover, but they just are not available for me in any electronic form at this point. They are on my list though!

    What is the max incline on the treadmill?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob is enough of a workout! You get a pass on doing any other strength work.

      Shute was an engineer IRL and his trademark is that he starts out very dry and technical and then when you least suspect it, he pulls you in on an emotional level.

      Delete
  10. My neck just hurts looking at Doggo sleeping like that! Yowza! Glad she didn't do it for long, though, as I feel like that would NOT be comfortable. But then again, you do you Doggo!

    The Breaking Wave sounds so interesting but it's not available as an ebook from my library so I would have to actually get a physical book for a change. And I just really do not like to read physical books, especially with all my travel lately! But I am so very tempted because the theme of that book sounds so interesting. Have you heard all of the buzz about Kristin Hannah's The Women? I don't always read her books, but I do want to read it but I need to be in the right mindset. My MIL's sister was an army nurse in Vietnam and sadly died by suicide in the early 80s due to undiagnosed/untreated PTSD... so yes, wars kill people well beyond the time when the war officially ends... That was my MIL's only sister and she left behind 2 boys in their teen/tween stage of life. :.......(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you - I'd much rather read on my Kindle! Yes, I'm planning to read The Women. I disliked the last Kristen Hannah book that I read so much that I swore I would never read her again, but the buzz on this one is so strong that I feel like I need to check it out. It's going to take a while to get it on Libby, though. That's so sad about your MIL's sister, and sadder too when you multiply that on how many people have died as a result of PTSD.

      Delete
  11. Oh, it's so cool you were THERE for the eclipse. I hear that Florida will be in the path of totality in 2045 (??) so I just need to figure out WHERE and how to get there, because I really want to see it at least once in my life! That would be such a cool experience!

    TAYLOR <3 <3 <3 I just celebrated my 1-year anniversary from seeing her live, hahaha. It was the most magical night of my life and I am still astounded how she dances and sings for THREE+ HOURS THREE DAYS IN A ROW. I was so tired after just BEING there. And she's still on tour!! And has an album coming out!! Does she sleep EVER???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool Blogger's Party in FL in 2045!!!

      YOU SAW ERAS LIVE??????? The movie was amazing and I can only imagine what the live show was like. No I can't imagine doing the show once let alone all of the training that she did and the number of times that she did the show.

      Delete
  12. Oh, Doggo. <3 We should all be so lucky. I'm so glad she's taken to training.
    And, wow - so many good things in here! Taylor! Eclipse totality (woo hoo!). Smart neighbors! Good movies - well, at least for you. I might have been, um, snoring. Sorry. And a ramped up... ramp ;> to walk on. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad you are back on Insta and sent me a follow! Thank you! I am loving seeing your adventures!

    I am so glad you got to see the total eclipse! My husband has some total chaser family members ;)

    Your TS night sounds really fun!

    LOL Doggo. That is all I have to say about your silly photos! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely had envy about missing the eclipse, here in California. I have a friend who lives in the path of totality, and it didn't occur to me until that morning that I could have gone to see her, and it would only have cost me airfare, no crowded hotels or so on. Of course, the airfare might have been prohibitive, who knows.

    We took Mulder to one training class, but he was so excited by the other dogs that we didn't go back. I took him to the dog park a couple of times, and he got bullied by other dogs. So he ended up being untrained and unsocialized. I mean, we worked with him some, but not nearly as much as we should have. He had very good leash manners, but we never were able to teach him not to bark when the mailman went by.

    I'm doing daily strength training, but don't think I could handle even one pullup. I do my pushups though! Yay team!

    ReplyDelete