Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hungarian Apple Pie


During the Christmas season, I saw a picture of an apple pie that took my breath away.  I was determined to bring it home to my kitchen, but let's face it, this was during the Christmas season.  I poured another glass of eggnog, dipped my hand back into the nearest two gallon tin of three-flavored popcorn, and forgot about the pie.

Fast forward to the lean, mean days of January.  Fully detoxed from the holidays, it was time to bring the pie to life.

Hungarian Apple Pie
(Recipe adapted from Filmcraft)
  • Single crust for 9" pie (I used my favorite pie crust recipe, and you should use yours)
  • Pie Filling:
    • 2 lbs apples, peeled and cored
    • ¼ cup sugar
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Pie Topping
    • ¾ cup flour
    • 6 tablespoons sugar
    • 3 tablespoons butter
Method

Start with a 9" unbaked pie crust

Add a few apples!  Wait, we must be missing a step...

Peel and core 2 lbs apples.  I used a mix of Granny Smith and MacIntosh.
Slice thin.  Whew, that was a lot of work.

Now the project becomes fun again.  Arrange the apple slices in the pie shell.

Mix ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle on top.

Add crumb topping (¾ cup flour, 6 tablespoons sugar, and 3 tablespoons butter cut together).  At this point you will notice that the topping, which is made of white sugar and white flour, is really white.  Which means that your whole pie is now really white.  The first time I made this, I was tempted to add cinnamon or brown sugar to get some kind of color in there.  But don't.  It's gonna be OK.

Bake 60 minutes @ 350° (or 325° if you're using the mini oven like me).  Cover the pie edges with foil for the first 30 minutes and uncover for the last part of the baking.

Let your perfect little pie cool for a few hours and it's ready to eat.  And your house now smells heavenly.  You're welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment