Sunday, November 18, 2018

Weekly Eats: Monday November 12 to Sunday November 18

A weekly roundup: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  Pre-Thanksgiving Edition.

Highlights of this week: pork chops, planning for Thanksgiving, new running shoes, and time with family.

Lowlight of the week: a death in my husband's extended family, which is why we had extra family time.   Yes it was expected and no it wasn't welcome.

But the best part of the calling hours and the funeral was watching the stepsons play dress up.  This is the first time they've worn real ties and they were all about it.  Stepson #2 told us, "in my heart, you know I was born wearing a tie".  They are very jealous that their father has a full suit and they only have dress pants and shirts.  In everyday life it's a struggle to get them out of their pajamas but now they are both Dapper Dans.

Breakfasts
Monday: protein smoothie

Tuesday & Thursday: breakfast burritos

Wednesday and Friday: avocado toast

Saturday: cereal bar and string cheese
Sunday: scrambled eggs and toast


Lunches
Monday, Tuesday, Friday: veggie burrito
Wednesday: spinach artichoke pasta
Thursday: sweet potato, corn, and black bean enchiladas
Saturday: funeral lunch. They had fried chicken and every kind of potato dish known to man.  I skipped the chicken and had a sample platter of potato salad, funeral potatoes, and potato casserole.  Pecan pie for dessert.
Sunday: Costco samples and snacks

Dinners
Monday (family meal): Costco orange chicken and egg rolls.

Tuesday (family meal): steps had leftover orange chicken, hubs had leftover grilled chicken from Sunday, and I had a chicken sausage with the leftover pasta from Sunday.  I pimped it up with a spoonful of pesto.

Wednesday (date night): gravy with a pork chop and mashed potatoes;-) Seriously, that gravy tho'

Thursday (fend for yourself night): Another chicken sausage and Trader Joe's cauliflower gnocchi with pesto.

Friday (a very late family meal after calling hours): Since we were in the area, we got pizza from stepson #1's favorite pizza place.  We're at the stage where everyone wants different pizza: hubs only eats pepperoni, stepson #2 only eats plain cheese, and stepson #1 is diehard New York white pizza.  I'm team stepson #1, though if it were up to me there would be mushrooms and olives on there.  Any maybe some artichoke hearts.

Saturday (family meal): I was fresh off my long run and the menfolk were fresh off yard work.  Hubs was jonesing for chili mac.  He went to the store and I put in the 20 minutes to get this on the table.  The adults were very happy and the kids didn't put up their usual fight.

Sunday (fend for yourself): steps are buried in homework, so they got to munch on leftover pizza over their books.  Hubs and I had chili mac.

Meal Prep/Thanksgiving Planning
We have a tentative plan to use up leftovers for our family dinners this week.  Meanwhile, the SILs, hubs, and I are planning Thanksgiving.  We have an extra large crowd this year, so hubs and I will be cooking a small turkey to supplement the main bird.  It's in our fridge defrosting as we speak.

Between you and me: I hate, hate, hate turkey and have PTSD from being forced to eat it when I was a child.  Hubs is gong to to take the lead with this one.


Other things that I am cooking:
  • Dinner rolls.  Right now the plan is to stick with the tried and true, thought I'm tempted to try the ones that Gimme Some Oven just posted. It's tough to choose between your two favorite food bloggers.
  • Sweet Potato Casserole.  I'm planning to scale this down since only a few of us eat it. 
  • Insane mac and cheese.  I'm thinking this recipe with cheddar, smoked gouda, and parm. The last time the family went out to dinner, someone got an absolutely obscene mac and cheese loaded with a bunch of cheeses and crunchy topping and everyone at the table wanted a taste.  I'm not sure if there was any macaroni in there.  I'm also not sure if the person who ordered it got to have any after the plate got passed around the table.
  • Pecan Pie bars 
  • S'Mores bars
My fantasy Thanksgiving dinner plate: SIL#4's green bean casserole and one of each dessert.  OK, fine, I'll have a salad as well to balance it out.  I continue to post my weight on twitter each week so I won't go too crazy.  In theory.

Workouts
Monday: weights with coffee and 3 mile treadmill run
Tuesday: 6 mile treadmill run
Wednesday: off
Thursday: 5 mile treadmill fartlek, 1 mi each warmup and cool down, pattern of 1 minute hard/2 minutes easy
Friday: weights with coffee and 3 mile treadmill hill run
Saturday: Once we got home from the funeral, I was out the door for my long run.  11 miles for the first time ever!
Sunday: off

Running Shoe Update
I went to the fancy running shoe store today.  My feet have been feeling it recently and I've put about 300 miles on both pairs of my running shoes.  In the past I've been a Saucony girl (and before that I was a whatever-TJ-Maxx-had-in-stock girl).  I got to try on a bunch of Brooks and Mizunos and left with Brooks Launch 5.  The shoes feel so good that I can't wait for tomorrow's workout.

P.S. my running shoe management strategy is to have an indoor pair and an outdoor pair.  I log the miles in a spreadsheet...but that's because I'm an accountant and I have everything in my life logged in a spreadsheet.  Advice for normal people based on everything that I know about running: if you *think* it might be time for new shoes then it is time for new shoes.

P.P.S. my running shoe ethics policy is that if I go to the fancy running shoe store and they find a pair of shoes that I like, I will buy them at the store even though I can get a better deal online.  I'll get my second pair online.

P.P.P.S. I have wide feet, so I wear men's running shoes.  It's way easier than trying to find women's wide.

Watching
(from the treadmill): How to Get Away with Murder for lifting/short run days and Wanted for long run days.  I didn't know what I would ever find to take the place of Bodyguard and tried out a couple of shows before Netflix turned this up for me.  I've said it before and I'll say it again: treadmill running requires first rate TV.  It's not enough for a show to be good, it has to be the best of the best.  I'm always paranoid that I'm going to run out of good shows so I'm happy to be set for the time being.

(from the couch): MST3K

Reading
Dead Easy for Dover

No comments:

Post a Comment