Sunday, November 11, 2018

Weekly Eats: Monday November 5 to Sunday November 11

 
A weekly roundup: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  10 mile treadmill edition.

This week we ate a lot of chicken, I went to Trader Joe's, did my first week of half marathon training, and thanks to the weather, did my first ever 10 mile treadmill run.

Breakfasts
Monday & Friday: protein smoothie
Tuesday & Wednesday: hey it's been a hot minute since I've had avocado toast!
Thursday: you know it.  Breakfast Burrito
Saturday: an epic breakfast quesadilla
Sunday: cereal bar, string cheese, and fruit



Lunches
Alternated between Chrissy Teigan's actual drunken noodles and sweet potato, corn, and black bean enchiladas.

Dinners
Monday (family meal): lasagna
Tuesday (family meal): grilled chicken kabobs, cilantro lime rice, veg.  I didn't use a recipe for the chicken, I just marinated it in olive oil, seasoned salt, and oregano for the day and then grilled it up.  It was good but I wish I'd had a lemon or lime on hand to kick it up a notch.
Wednesday (date night): bacon cheddar ranch chicken burgers
Thursday (fend for yourself night): we both had the leftover chicken from Tuesday.  I put mine in a toasted tortilla with Trader Joe's frozen pepper mix and a bit of avocado.
Friday (date night #2): Chipotle and margaritas
Saturday (date night #3): the best ever hamburger at home

Sunday: more grilled chicken and this time I had a lime on hand to kick it up.

Meal Prep
More breakfast burritos and a batch of veggie burritos.

Trader Joe's haul deets
Man, it was like someone looted the store because the shelves were bare.

What I got: Chicken sausage, all the frozen veggies (spinach, mushroom medley, pepper mix), almond milk, tofu, canned coconut milk (I feel a thai curry coming on soon), veggies and pinto beans for the veggie burritos, tortillas, energy bites, and some pecan halves for Thanksgiving.

What I didn't get since they were out: frozen chicken breasts, cauliflower gnoochi, fire roasted frozen pepper mix.  Next time!

Workouts
I took my best shot at week 1 of half marathon training (my race isn't until next May).  I'm very loosely following this plan.  My treadmill running speeds are 5.5 (easy), 6.0 (hard-ish/tempo-ish), and 6.5 (really hard).  
Monday: weights and 3 mile treadmill run.  This run is the closest I get to a tempo run with the pattern of quarter mile @ 5.5/quarter mile 6.0.
Tuesday: 6 mile treadmill run.  Physically I felt good but mentally I really struggled to stay on the treadmill and took lots of breaks.
Wednesday: off
Thursday: 5 mile treadmill fartlek run (1 mi warm up & cool down, 3 miles alternating 1 minute hard+2 minutes easy).  I was surprised by how good this pattern felt.  I did 6.0 hard/5.5 easy for two miles and 6.5 hard/5.5 easy for the final mile.
Friday: weights and 3 mile treadmill run.  Easy pace but with hills sprinkled in here and there.
Saturday: way to start off the winter by facing my fears of a long run on the treadmill head on.  My number one rule for running is that it's supposed to be an asset in my life, not a liability.  That's why you see me running on the treadmill on weekdays mornings instead of out in the dark.  And why on Saturday morning with the first cold spell and a layer of ice on the ground, I sighed and headed downstairs. 

I'd never run more than 6 miles on the treadmill before and had no idea if I could go further.   My game plan was to run 4 miles without stopping and then run 3 sets of 2 miles.  Keep in mind that I've never gone further than 3.5 miles on the treadmill without a break.

Well, thanks to my dedicated treadmill TV show, Netflix's Bodyguard, I got it done.  I went for 5 miles easily with no break, which was an entire episode.  Then I ran two more miles, and then I ran another mile, and another mile, and another half mile, and the final half mile to get to 10 miles.  One hour 49 minutes and 28 seconds (it was fun to watch the timer reset from 99:59 to 0:00).  I felt really good during and afterwards, though once I finished lunch I took a long nap.

So it's great to know that I *can* run 10 miles on the treadmill but I'm hoping that the weather will cooperate so that I can keep running outside for my long runs.

Watching
(from the treadmill): How to Get Away with Murder for lifting/short run days, and Bodyguard for the longer runs.  Guys, I've seen some good treadmill shows before, but Bodyguard absolutely takes the lead.  I treated myself to watching the final 20 minutes of the show that was left after Saturday's long run on the couch.
(from the couch): season 2 of Ozark, and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. It was hubs's pick and I wasn't sure if I would be into it.  I took a peek at imbd and saw it was 3 hours long and became very certain that I wouldn't be into it.  But I also saw all of the "Hey I'm not into westerns and this movie is awesome reviews" so I bit my tongue and kept an open mind.  And I'm so glad that I did.  Awesome, awesome, awesome.  I really like short movies because when you have less time you have to be very efficient at telling your story.  The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly follows the short movie rule - every minute of that 3 hours counted.

Reading
Finished Picnic at Hanging Rock and if time allows will see the movie tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment