Sunday, November 4, 2018

Weekly Eats: Monday October 29 to Sunday November 4

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  Breakfast Quesadilla edition.

Today I'm happy to report that for the first time in three weeks, our house is illness free.  Our fall cold progression was: stepson #2-->hubs-->me-->stepson #1.  Everyone got some much needed chill time away from school and work, I found a better way to cook tofu, and I have a new breakfast crush to tell you about.


Breakfasts
Monday, Tuesday, and Saturday: Monday and Tuesday were my sick days this week, and I started both with long naps.  When I finally got up, I was ravenous but wasn't sure what I wanted.  Eggs...cheese...green hot sauce...and just like that a breakfast quesadilla was born.

Step 1: start toasting a tortilla in a cast iron skillet, flipping every once in a while so that both sides get toasty.

Step 2: hit up your freezer for these two epic Trader Joe's products.

Step 3: microwave veggies for about two minutes, drain off liquid.

Step 4: scramble two eggs with the veggies

Step 4: place eggs and veggies on the tortilla, top with cheese and green hot sauce.  Fold the tortilla in half and toast everything on both sides for a few more seconds to get the cheese melted.

Step 5: yum.

Other breakfasts this week: breakfast at work on Wed, breakfast burrito on Thurs, protein smoothie on Fri, and grown up junk food on Sun - Trader Joe's pumpkin toaster pastry with fruit and cheese.

Lunches
Monday and Tuesday: ad hoc nachos
Wednesday: back at work, salmon salad.
Thursday: spinach artichoke pasta
Friday:  sweet potato, corn, and black bean enchiladas with Gimme some oven's green sauce.  Yum yum yum.
Saturday: leftover pizza
Sunday: a bite of Chrissy Teigan's Actual Drunken Noodles and snacks.

Dinners
Monday (family meal): grilled chicken.  I had a sweet potato, the rest of my sweet potato hating family had cilantro lime rice.

Tuesday (family meal): grilled cheese and soup.  Cooking by hubs.  This was the turning point where I was starting to get better and stepson #1 was starting to get sick.

Wednesday (Halloween): our only objective was to get food and get out the door.  No shame.  Stepson #1 stayed home to pass out candy and the rest of us went out on the town.  Stepson #2 is old enough to pretty much be out on his own, so it turned into an extended dog walk/time to catch up with all of the neighbor parents who were out keeping an eye on their kids.

Thursday (fend for yourself night): the other half of Monday's sweet potato and a chicken sausage.

Friday (family meal): takeout pizza.

Saturday (family meal): hamburgers and fries.

Sunday (family meal): oh hey, we actually do cook around here sometimes.  Family lasagna and we had a friend drop by for dinner.  Halloween candy for dessert.


Meal Prep
In addition to the lasagna, I made up a batch of Chrissy Teigan's Actual Drunken Noodles with tofu.  

Normally I pan fry tofu but I'm always looking for ways to up my game, so I gave Gimme Some Oven's baked tofu a try and wow.  It's not faster than frying but it's way better.  I'll never go back.


Workouts
Monday: sick
Tuesday: sick
Wednesday: I was dying to get moving but respected the normal rest day.  And walked a billion miles trick or treating. 
Thursday: we're back folks.  4 mile treadmill run.
Friday: weights and 2 mile treadmill run.  I was super tired and not sure if I could run, but I decided to try it for the fun of it.  And it was one of those surprise runs where I felt like I was flying.
Saturday: 9 mile outdoor run.  It felt so good to be outside.
Sunday: off

About that half marathon
I originally thought that I had until February to register for the race in May, but I found out that the price goes up on Monday...so I went for it.  Folks, it's official, I'm registered.  It's going down.  I'm going to start with this training plan and then do Hanson's Half Marathon Method  Yes I'm starting training now and doing two cycles because I'm not nervous about it or anything.

Oh and one of my work friends talked me into a Turkey Trot 5k on Thanksgiving morning so there's that.

Watching
(from the treadmill): How to Get Away with Murder, Bodyguard (finished 2nd episode, dying to see more).
(from the couch): caught up with Manifest.  Hubs and I finally finished season one of Ozark...and if it wasn't for little people being around we would have binged season 2 by now.  As a family we saw Some Like it Hot.  And by "as a family" I mean that hubs and I watched it but the steps are officially too cool to hang out with us, so they went off to do their own things except they somehow got sucked in so we were all together by the end.  We ended the night with a bunch of Youtube videos.

Reading
Picnic at Hanging Rock

No comments:

Post a Comment