Sunday, May 12, 2019

Weekly Eats: Date night and Half Marathon Countdown Edition

A weekly roundup: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  Steak date night, breakfast meal prep, and 'tis the week before the half marathon.

Breakfasts
Between Easter and two back to back race weekends, I haven't gotten around to meal prep in a while, and you can see it in my breakfasts...no breakfast burritos, no breakfast potatoes...it's a sad life.

Monday & Friday: homemade Egg McMuffin with chicken sausage.

Tuesday: cheese omelette with toast and chicken sausage.  All good but it would have been next level if I'd thrown in some of those Trader Joe's frozen mushrooms and some fresh garden basil...missed opportunities friends.

Wednesday: oops I meant to bring fruit, string cheese, and a cereal bar to work but forgot, so I hit up work food (P.S. if your work doesn't have food like this lying around you need to get another job).  I had never had a Clif bar before, and for some reason I thought I wasn't going to like it.  I don't know where I got the bad Clif ju-ju from but my mistake.  It was really good and Imma have to add these into my afternoon snack routine.

Thursday: improvised breakfast burrito.  Two eggs, cheese, and salsa in an air fried tortilla.

Saturday: I die.  Air fried bacon & french toast followed by an awesome run.

Sunday: started the day with some cooking and dug into my brand new batch of breakfast potatoes.


Lunches
Monday and Wednesday: Costco chicken skewers, sweet potatoes, and avocado.  With a work lunch catering salad on the side.

Tuesday: I know I've said a million times that salads as meals are not the best choice for me (because I can pile on the calories like no one's business but still don't feel like I've eaten a meal), but sometimes I do it anyway.  Tofu and all kinds of interesting veggies.
Thursday and Friday: catered lunches at work.

Saturday: so good...I packed a tortilla full of Costco chicken skewers, cheese, salsa, guac, and coleslaw and ran it through the air fryer.  That's half and avocado's worth of guac and you can see I saved a little bit to have on the side with fritos.


Dinners
Monday and Tuesday (family meals): leftoverpalooza.  Hubs and steps had fried chicken and jojos, I had pizza.

Wednesday (date night): grilled steak and zucchini.  I planned to make mashed potatoes but we had scalloped potatoes at lunch for work that day so I got in on the leftovers.

Thursday (fend for yourself night):  Erin's post for bang bang shrimp tacos caught my appetite but I didn't have any shrimp.  I made the coleslaw with Trader Joe's cruciferous crunch mix and air fried a flounder filet.  I had doubts about a yogurt based slaw dressing, but I knew that if anyone could make it worth while, it would be Erin, and I was right.  I really didn't miss the extra calories.

Friday (date night): out on the town for hamburgers.

Saturday (single girl night): Hubs went out on the town with his friends.  I tore into an Archer Farms mushroom pizza like a savage.  Amazingly I did not eat the whole thing (though I totes defend anyone who does, long run day or not).  That's more coleslaw/bang bang sauce on the side.

Sunday (family meal): Chimichangas via the air fryer.  Full disclosure, kids were not into it but the adults had a good meal.


Meal Prep
I spy a brand new batch of breakfast burritos straight out of the air fryer.  And some breakfast potatoes (with onion and Trader Joe's pepper mix added in the last 20 minutes of cooking).  I'm finally stocked up for breakfast again.


Trader Joe's Haul Deets
Staples: Bay Blend coffee, crucferous crunch mix, white vinegar, avocado, lime
Date night stuff: wine, steaks, and potatoes
New stuff to try: organic superfood pilaf, quinoa due with vegetable melange (I'll report back when I try these)

Workouts
It's finally here...the week before half marathon week.  28 miles of running

Monday: four miles with strides, weights at lunch

Tuesday: 6 absolutely glorious miles.

Wednesday: off

Thursday: 5 miles of suck.  Monday and Tuesday were very much "I get to workout" and out of nowhere, Thursday was a ride on the struggle bus.  I wanted to run 6 miles but realized that the workout wasn't getting any better so I cut it short. I also wanted to do some speed and even though the run sucked I decided that I was going to jump from one minute fast/2 minutes recover to 2 minutes fast/2 minutes recover.  Yeah, I folded 30 seconds into the 2nd interval on that.  And then as the day went on, I really wanted that 6th mile so I jumped on the treadmill at lunch and got it.  Our work gym was pipping hot (c'mon why is every gym that I use outside of my home 90 degrees?) and I walked away dripping sweat but it was awesome.

(Now that I'm seeing Thursday with hindsight, why did I decide to make the speed intervals 2 minutes and not the 1 minute that I know...sheesh it's OK to learn to crawl before you learn to walk).

Friday: 4 miles of suck.  Plan A was to run hills but on the way to the neighborhood hill I knew that I didn't have it in me, so I detoured to another section of town and ran flat.

Saturday: last long run!  I spent a lot of time debating how long it should be, 8, 10, or 12 miles?  In the end I went with 8 so that I would leave the run wanting more.  I went to my favorite park, covering much of the same route of the 10k that I ran last month.  My plan worked, because I really want more.

Sunday: off.

Where My Head is with the Half Marathon
The bad runs on Thurs and Fri got to me.  What business do I have running a half marathon next weekend?  The internet stepped up with some sports psychology:
  • Mrs. 1500's Second-to-Last Half Marathon Post.  Mrs. 1500 wasn't able to get her training in (because of other awesome things going on in her life) and is still going to run her half...I just wanted to tell her to chill out and enjoy the process.  Hey wait, I have gotten my training in...I can take my own advice.
  • The Number 1 Secret to Running a Great Marathon.  Erica used to have a fitness blog which doesn't exist anymore but she's been turning up on YouTube lately.  This video is from back in her fitness blog days and it was exactly what I needed to hear.
So yes, after my friends on the internet chimed in, I'm excited for next weekend.  The next time we talk, I will have run a half marathon.

Watching
  • A ridiculous amount of Mama June from Not to Hot 
  • The first two episodes of The Case Against Adnan Syed (verdict: love getting the visuals and more detail but nothing can replace season one of Serial)
  • MST3K with hubs

Reading
Finished The Girls in the Garden by Lisa Jewell.  It went fast, but it was just OK for me.  I'd steer you toward And Then She Was Gone instead though no worries, I'll definitely be reading more Lisa Jewell.  Started Watch Me Disappear by Janelle Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment