Monday, July 27, 2020

Weekly Eats: You are what you eat




A weekly roundup: eats, watches, and reads.  This weekend I made Millionaire Bars.  If it's true that you are what you eat, we're in good shape.  And they are delicious.

Breakfasts
I've been obsessing non-stop about homemade Egg McMuffins with bacon.

Lunches
Salad bowls with rice, roasted sweet potatoes, cole slaw mix, kalmata olives, and the beef shawarma that I made last weekend.

Dinners
Monday: you've seen this before!  Leftover beef kebabs and mashed potatoes from the weekend.

Tuesday: well, well, if it isn't Sunday's dinner all over again, grilled chicken and rice.  Love, love the rice.

Wednesday: Costco orange chicken and egg rolls.

Thursday: leftover cleanout

Friday: mandatory take out night, kids' choice.

Saturday: mandatory burger night.  The kids had "normal" hamburgers and the adults had bacon ranch chicken burgers.

Sunday: um, yeah, after a long streak of dinner success I stuck out.  Instant pot beef fajitas that turned out to be "beef fajita stew".  It's not bad but it's also not that great.  Exactly what you want from a meal with lots of leftovers.  I mean we'll eat it but...not we're exactly going into this next week with a fridge full of sure fire delicious leftovers like last week.

Watching
Nothing much, finished Mama June from Not to Hot.

Reading
I finished Behind Closed Doors.  I like suspense but this book was borderline too intense for me.  There were a few times when I came close to clicking the home button on my Kindle and walking away (see Modern Mrs. Darcy's excellent post You Don't Want to Go There).  BUT BUT BUT this was also a very good, well written book, and the ending was oh so satisfying so I'm glad that I stuck with it.

Currently: Based on a True Story by Delphine de Vigan.  I've just started it but I have heard good things so I am hopeful. 

Also "reading" a.k.a "listening to" the audiobook Smacked by Eileen Zimmerman.  It's a memoir by a journalist who's ex-husband was a very successful lawyer and a hard core drug addict and her putting together the pieces to figure everything out.  I'm almost done, definitely recommend it, but it's not a light read.

11 comments:

  1. That Millionaire Bar!! I have never heard of it and it looks delicious. When I googled it, one comment said they it is like "a fancy, homemade, gourmet twix bar”. I love Twix bars!
    Thanks for the reading recommendations.I will definitely have a look for "Behind Closed Doors". Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha a fancy twix bar is a good description!

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious! I hate when a recipe I'm planning on for leftovers doesn't work out that well :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, it's the worst. We've put a respectable dent in the "fajita stew" so I think I'll finish it up for lunches and find something else to feed us for dinner.

      Delete
  3. Yum! I love everything you shared, especially those Millionaire Bars - I may need to make some of those this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend it - remember you are what you eat!

      Delete
  4. Okay, those Millionaire Bars look simply sinful (in a most delish kind of way). I might have to make some of my own. The hubby's been out of town all week, so my dinners have been pathetic (pancakes, anyone? and leftover spaghetti, twice).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pancakes for dinner sounds incredible. Maybe the next time I don't feel like cooking I'll suggest that (hubs is the house pancake and waffle chef). You should definitely treat yo' self to some millionaire bars.

      Delete
  5. I've never had millionaire bars but now I want one! Off to google the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psst...https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019333-millionaires-shortbread. Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. Yum! Everything looks great. I've been getting lots of criticism from the peanut gallery for my current dinner rotation. Clearly my older daughter needs to go backk to school and fend for herself. We've been striking out like crazy on stuff to watch lately. So many duds.

    ReplyDelete