Sunday, July 19, 2020

Weekly Sweats: The Whatever Plan

In this week's recap: 27 miles of running, absolutely no weight lifting whatsoever, my fall racing schedule, and my "whatever" plan for training right now.


I'm linking up with the Weekly Run Down, please head over to Kim and Deborah to check it out.

Monday: 4.25 miles and I made sure to go super easy since it was my 5th consecutive day of running.  I don't regret skipping Sunday's rest day but it did mean skipping strength training this week because my body was pretty taxed out.

Tuesday: group run day!  6.25 miles total, approximately 3 of those were with the group.  And can I just say how nice it was that the temps were in the mid 50's?  I would have gone longer if it hadn't have been day 6 of a running streak and my body was telling me "dude, slow your roll".

Wednesday: off

Thursday: 6.25 miles, ah let's see that was 1.5 miles warm up, then 4 x 400 & 400 recover, and a 2.75 mile cool down.  It was pretty warm and it's been a few weeks since I've done speed, so I had zero expectations for this on pace or distance.  I ran as fast as I wanted to run and kept going as long as I wanted to.  There is a really small lake on an offshoot of the trail where I do speed work and with a ridiculous amount of zooming in and some squinting you can see my friend the blue heron hanging out.

Also notable for Thursday's run, it was the only outdoor run this week with music.  I don't bring music for group runs and lately when it's been hot I've also been leaving the music at home so that I listen to my body and call the run if I'm getting too hot instead of trying to press through "just one more song".  I'm at a point where I almost prefer running without music.

Friday: another group run.  It was ungodly hot n'humid, ideal weather for me to bonk, but amazingly the crew made it fly by with ease.  3 miles with the group/mile-ish there and back for 5.25 miles total.

Saturday: heat warning + air quality warning = I ain't about to mess with that.  5 treadmill miles which was my longest treadmill run since March.

Sunday: off.  Depending on how tonight's schedule works out I might do a strength workout just to get back on track.

My Training Plan Right Now
Last summer I did a 10 week speed training plan that had me very methodical about each and every single workout.  That was last year and this year I'm in a much more mellow mood.  My summer plans were to drop my mileage as needed for the heat and to do two speed workouts a week.  That plan has been somewhat interrupted by the very unexpected development of group running.  A few weeks ago I met another runner who hooked me up with the neighborhood running group.  There's no regular schedule, it's a big ol' group text of "hey I'm going to the park on Sunday" and "hey is anyone running on Tuesday?" The runs have been 2-4 people and they have been wonderful.

If a group run day falls on a speed day, then I go with the group because (1) pragmatically speaking these are speed workouts since I run faster with others than by myself and (2) everyone that I've met so far has been a Wonderful Human Being and it's a pleasure to hang out.

I ended up with kind of a high mileage week without a long run.  TBD if I start expanding my treadmill distance or if the weather cools down to support longer running, but it's time to start thinking about fall racing.

Race Cancellation Recaps/Fall Racing Schedule
Quick disclaimer that I've been recapping cancellations for humor...like just about everywhere else right now my state is experiencing a COVID-19 surge and I'm in support of getting that curve flat again.  In person racing is kind of low on the priority list right now.

Two races that had previously postponed made their moves this week.
  • The 5k that was supposed to be this weekend that rescheduled to October decided to throw in the towel and offered either a refund or deferral to next year.  I went the refund route.  This was a new-to-me race and I don't have any sentimental attachment to it.
  • The half that was supposed to be in April and rescheduled to August admitted that an in person race is just not in the cards right now.  The options are to run virtually in August or transfer to their October race with the note that October will very likely be virtual.  Virtual or not, an August half marathon isn't my scene, so I went with the October race.  I would say that there is a 100% chance that this will be virtual, but by delaying to October (1) it's not August and (2) if the stars align the virtual racing window will give me enough time to build back up from half marathon #5 in late September.
My pre-COVID fall racing plans were to do my Hometown half in late September and then another half six weeks later.  My current COVID race calender is: 5k in early September, which is no problem whatever happens, and then boom-boom-boom: Hometown Half Marathon (already virtual, race window is the last week in Sept-Oct 31st) - the "April==>August==>October Half" - the "April-10-Mile-Race-that-got-moved-to-October" one week later.

My plan is to get in 13.1 mile shape by late September and then see what happens.  The "worst case" is that two 13.1's and one 10 will occur in a 3-4 week time frame, which is a stretch for my fitness level.  If all of these races go virtual then hopefully the race windows will be enough to space them out decently.  If I need to DNS or DNF one of these races, that's fine as well.

Shoutout To
Marcia's Good Posture Workout.  Hee hee, it uses muscles that I don't use very often.  I did it last Sunday and plan to fold it into my workday fitness breaks a few times a week.

32 comments:

  1. wait you have temps in the 50's?! I am going to have to move there asap! We are going to have a feels like of 106 today. Nice week of workouts! thanks for linking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha don't pack your bags yet...we had two mornings with lows in the 50s and now we're back up there. Last fall you posted about running in the monuments and all my town has is a commemorative plaque for that one time when Lincoln stopped by.

      Delete
  2. Temps in the 50s??? I can’t imagine! I can’t imagine a group run either, although my MRTT group is having those now too. I think it would be hard to stay apart when I’m used to running close enough to chat easily. A work conference I’m involved with that postponed their March conference to September has made that virtual and is now wondering if it even can be in person in September 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine 50's anymore either because it's gotten hotter every day since then;-) We're in a low traffic area so there's a lot of room to space out and it's quiet enough that we can hear each other for the most part. I would not bet the farm on 2021 events either, but also COVID is not going to last forever. The world is going to figure things out.

      Delete
  3. My trail race is still on but for how long? I continue to train. Besides, a trail 13.1 I wanted to do last year (but couldn't due to stupid RA issues) is now virtual--but on the actual trail. So i may end up doing that one too. You are right, COVID isn't going to last forever, but it may go on a lot longer than we like because people aren't behaving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, our job as runners is to train. If the race can't be held in person, so be it, but we did our part.

      Delete
  4. Temps in the 50s sounds amazing! It basically felt like soup here all week and this weekend was a scorcher!

    I also loved Marcia's good posture workout. I did it during my lunch break and it was so great since I sit for most of the day during work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all soup here right now;-) I'm just glad that we got the break.

      Delete
  5. I'm with them... 50's? Niiiiiiice! I was excited when I saw a "6" in front of our temps the other morning and it felt a little "chilly". Ha! That's cool that you found the neighborhood running group. As much as I get nervous about joining in at group runs, they are always enjoyable. And now, I'm learning that group bike rides are fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited about the 6's that are headed our way next week! In the group we're really careful to keep apart. I'm sure there's *some* risk but it feels really low and the companionship is wonderful.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you're enjoying your group runs, they're probably a great break in the routine. YOU got me thinking about speed work...which hasn't really happened since that last Monday 5K trial (mid-June). Maybe Ill get on board with that this week....thanks for the inspiration ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, summer is really for just running without any structure to it. After 12 weeks of 5ks you definitely put in the speed!

      Delete
  7. I'm jealous to read temps in the 50s! That's great that you have some group runs going - a nice change of pace.

    Believe it or not I still have one half marathon in October that hasn't thrown in the towel yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Temps in the mid 50s? Say that again! Music to my runner ears! Just thinking about that feels wonderful. Thanks so much for the shoutout! I'm so glad you like the workout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good. I need to check out your other videos.

      Delete
  9. Running in the 50's sounds so great!

    Bummer about the cancellations...I don't get how Fargo is still on. And London, righT? Craziness.

    Great week of running for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh it was so nice. It really doesn't take much to make a runner happy.

      Delete
  10. It feels like forever since we've had temps in the 50s! That must have felt so nice. I'm sort of giving up on races for the year at this point. As you said, they are not a very high priority right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are so many others things to work on. And when races come back we'll be ready for them.

      Delete
  11. So glad to read that your group runs are going well. I love running with a group. It makes the miles go by so fast. Keeping my fingers crossed for your half happening in October. There have been some small in-person races happening near me lately. Social distancing is practiced and masks are worn before and after the run. If the half is small enough, it might happen in October. 250 people is the upper limit in our state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's anyone's guess. My job is to be ready to run, what happens with the race is out of my control.

      Delete
  12. That's funny you should mention you're preferring not to run with music these days... the last maybe 6 weeks? I've gone off listening to music on the run. Not quite sure what the shift has been, maybe just wanting to tune out or listen to my own thoughts? Whatever it is, I've enjoyed the change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's really nice. I still like music for speed days but right now it just feels really freeing to run without it.

      Delete
  13. I also like running without music. There are some days where I just prefer to run with it. Lately I've been doing the Peloton running classes and am sort of liking them. I didn't before because there was so much talking. However, now I need to figure out if it is that specific instructor or if it matters if it is a running or an outdoor running class. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested to try their classes, I've heard great things about them. Anything to mix it up.

      Delete
  14. 50s would be LOVELY.

    I don't run with music anymore. I like it, but I get annoyed by the headphones.

    A whatever plan sounds just fine, considering the current state of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to be said for just listening to yourself.

      Delete
  15. The temps have been in the low to mid 60's every morning since I got to my mom's house. Of course, the temps soar during the day, but not quite as high as back home so I'm okay with that.

    So many fall races throwing in the towel, but I can't say that I blame them at all... There are just too many unknowns to plan anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I have mixed feelings about if I would WANT to run a race right now. Back in the days when our state was getting a few hundred new cases a day, sure. Right now with a steady 1,000+...maybe not so much.

      Delete
  16. Your fall schedule sounds like mine...maybe I will run a half, maybe not and if I do I need to be in shape.

    I love running with a group even though it's that we are running apart...still better than before.

    I also have stopped running music...not sure why. I may go back at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we're spaced pretty far apart. We can't always hear each other but that's just how it is right now.

      Delete