Monday, July 11, 2022

Weekly Round Up: On Repeat

 

A weekly roundup: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  In this week's edition we did A LOT of repeat meals and binged Stranger Things.  On the job search front I have a rare employer shout out plus an unexpected development in my current gig.

Eats

Our weekly meal plan was shaped by two things:

  1. The stepsons were at Boy Scout camp all week.  Yes again - in June stepson #1 went on a two week hiking trip and stepson #2 was on the staff at Cub Scout camp.  This week was just "regular" camp and they are now done with Scouts until school starts.  This meant an empty nest and only the adults to please.
  2. We brought home a ton of leftover BBQ from our July 4th family party. 

Uh yes we ate leftover BBQ every night last week for dinner, yes we did.  

Lunch was pretty much a solid repeat of last week's salad wraps and I feel like I'll most likely have that again for lunch this week and then I'll be ready to move on to something else.


Workouts

Yeah I'm still running and yeah I have a half marathon on the calendar for the end of September so I need to do something about that.  I'm working on bringing the mileage up in general and the long run back in particular.

Watches

On the treadmill: I finished season 2 of Fauda and am dying to get to season 3.

On the couch: hubs and I took advantage of our no-kids situation and acted like kids all week.  We stayed up late every night watching season 4 of Stranger Things and we regret nothing.

Reads

My TV watching really got in the way of my reading this week, but I read a bit more of  The Golden State by Lydia Kiesling and am still digging it.

Werk

Three things have happened since we last talked:

Thing 1: A local major company approached me on LinkedIn.  It was 100% the wrong job and it would have been on site so this was an easy "thanks but no thanks" but still it's nice to have folks notice me, especially kind-of-a-big-deal folks.

Thing 2: I had an initial screening call with a company that I'll call ShowMe.  As in they showed me the money.  I have an ungodly long post about the compensation conversations that I've had in interviews, but out of all of the interviews that I've had in the past year, they are the third company to name their compensation number instead of asking me for mine and I'm a fan of that trend.  Unlike the previous situations their number was very close to Dream Number so 👍👍👍  I'm waiting to hear if I move forward in their interview process.

Thing 3: Meanwhile in my current job I'm getting promoted???  There is some shuffling of job duties going on at work and the thought is to move me up and get someone to do what I do now and have them report to me.  Right now all that this means is that I have to learn a bunch of stuff, and you know I'm down for that any day.  I'm not crazy about being a boss but I think I can pull it off in this situation and it's several months off in any case.

I haven't had much time to process this so I dunno.  The job has gotten quite a bit better since the low back in February and I've definitely gotten less bored.  I also appreciate the job more after all of the silly interviews that I've been on.  Stay tuned.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the promotion, Birchie!!!
    Your current job is starting to sound really good. Being a boss is great for showing off your leadership skills and perfect for your CV.
    Keep up the good work with the half marathon trainings! You're doing well with being consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the promotion! Awesome news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay!! Congrats on the promotion! That's really exciting -- and maybe it will be exactly what you need to turn this job into something that challenges you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your promotion! It does sound like you're happier in your role now and maybe this will be enough to keep you from your perpetual job search.

    It's also sort of nice that things are staying so consistent in your home life - meals, training, even tv shows - when things are more in flux at work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be quite content with leftover BBQ , even for an entire week. Way to go on the promo! Hopefully, that will shine a new light on your place of werk ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, your current job is looking better and better! That's a good place to be in. If you're looking for a new job to get out of a miserable situation, you run the risk of taking something else bad out of desperation. This way, a job has to be REALLY good in order for you to consider it.
    I would eat leftovers every night for a week if I could get away with it! Certain OTHERS in my family complain about things like that. I would much rather eat leftovers of the same thing for a week than have to cook.

    ReplyDelete