Monday, August 15, 2022

Weekly Round Up: No One Expects the Spanish Inquisition

 


A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  No one expects the Spanish Inquisition and I did not expect to get COVID this week.  But here we are.

The COVID Diaries

Monday: normal life as we know it

Tuesday: normal life as we know it.  Toward bedtime I start to get a little cough and congestion.  (NOTE: according to my husband the cough started a few days ago, which is news to me but just to let you know that there are two versions of the story).

Wednesday from waking up to mid morning: normal life as we know it with a very slight cough and congestion.

Wednesday mid morning: I start to feel fatigued but I can't tell if it's allergies or if I'm getting sick.  Just for yuks I take a COVID test which is as negative as can be.  Fun fact, this was my first ever COVID test.

Wednesday afternoon: I start alternating periods of work with periods of naps.  I come down with a case of the chills.

Thursday: I wake up with chills and have no appetite.  I continue to alternate work with napping.  When it's lunchtime I know that I need to eat something and the only thing that I can get my head around is a cheese quesadilla.  Opening the fridge makes me unbearably cold.  The dog takes me for a walk and I can barely keep up with her.

Friday: The chills are gone and I feel a bit less fatigued.   I have no interest in food and my sinuses are having a party.   The day is spent with alternating periods of work, napping, and blowing my nose.  I take a second COVID test - I mean I don't need to know anything besides that I'm sick but the rest of the family has plans so we need to know what we're dealing with.  

Result: the pinkest of pink lines.  The rest of the family cancels their exciting weekend plans (hubs does not go to a big family dinner and the kids stay at our house instead of going to their mom's).

Saturday: my sinuses start drying up thank goodness.  I'm still not interested in food and staying in bed doing nothing seems like the best option.

Sunday: the sinuses are down to a super sexy post nasal drip that keeps me coughing.  I'm much more alert and feel more like myself, and didn't need to spend the whole day napping so that was a welcome change.  My appetite isn't back yet.

As of Monday I'm not "well" yet but each day so far has been better than the day before.  I think I'm a few days away from back to normal, and once I get there I'll take another test to check on things.  Overall this feels like any other cold and I know that's not always the case with COVID so I'm happy with what I've got.

The Other Stuff that I Usually Talk About in These Recaps

I currently don't care about food, fitness is a nope, and I don't have the energy to read so you're up to date on those parts of my life.  That just leaves TV.  I don't have much energy/brain power for that but I got two good movies in.

First up: something silly.  I recently finished Fauda and I started clicking around on imdb to see if there's anything else that the actors have been in that looked interesting.  As you would expect, I found a lot of heavy handed action shows and a Thing that Was Not Like the Other Things, which was a comedy called A Matter of Size.  It's about a group of overweight friends who aren't having much luck with dieting or anything else in their lives.  And then they learn about this thing called sumo wrestling.  It was fun and silly and it's on Kanopy if anyone wants to check it out.  Spoiler, the lead actor had bariatric surgery between this movie and Fauda and at this point has had the weight off for a long time so I don't there will be a sequel.


For family viewing, we've been very in to naval military history lately which is how hubs sold us on Master and Commander.  The movie starts and the camera pans over the ship and zooms in on sailor after sailor.

Stepson #1: "this whole movie is just a bunch of dudes"

Me (joking): "Your dad told me this was going to be a chick flick"

But seriously, if not for our recent dinner table talk about Lord Nelson, I would have had no interest in this movie and here I was glued to the screen with the rest of the crew for over two hours. 






20 comments:

  1. Oh NOOOO!!!! I am so sorry you got Covid. Boo! Hoping you continue to improve and it's a blip in the rearview as soon as possible.

    My husband and I never watch movies, but in the past two weeks we watched the latest James Bond movie (which I thought was enjoyable if a little... silly at times) and then The Power of the Dog, which was apparently nominated for a TON of Academy Awards and yet my husband and I thought it was also silly. But in a boring way.

    Hoping you feel better tomorrow and that your appetite returns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Sorry you've been caught by the plague. Glad you're on the mend though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no! I'm so sorry you got COVID and I'm happy to hear that you're feeling a little bit better every day. (Also, I'm shocked that it's the first test you've taken. I've taken so very many!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, since we both work at home we don't get out much so there wasn't much occasion to test. Back around the holidays when we were socializing with family and there was a big surge there was a test shortage so that's why I was a "test virgin" for so long;-)

      Delete
  4. Oh, I am sorry you got it, but glad it's been mild! Do keep taking it easy and don't push too hard too soon, I've heard of that rebounding for people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good advice! Even now I can tell that I'm not ready to exercise yet.

      Delete
  5. Ha, Birchie! You're right, that wasn't expected at all! Well, at least that is now (nearly) over and done with. Get well soon!
    The big mystery is always "how did I get it?" Doesn't look like you got it from your husband or stepsons.
    How did your husband feel about not going to that big family dinner? Annoyed or relieved?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, it's not much of a mystery. If you get in the path of the wrong air molecule you're going to get it. Either I got it at the museum that we went to on our day trip last weekend or it was at the grocery store.

      We're close with our family, so it was annoying for both of us to have to miss the dinner but it was for the best. It was a send off for my nephews who are starting college so I don't think they mind that we didn't come so they're not sick and they get to start college on time!

      Delete
  6. Hey hey hey!! We be twinning with the Covid crap, except I'm on Day-2 (as of Tuesday). I thought it was a cold, as well, and I'd been to the Iowa State Fair (and wandered through the horse barn for a long while), so allergies were a definite possibility...until Monday morning (thankfully after my run, LOL). A "bad cold" is just what the nurse told me this strain feels like for most people, and she was spot-on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twinsies!!! I'm in good company! I'm sorry that you got it but very curious to hear how it's impacted your workouts. It instantly took me down to just walking. I'm going to ramp up very slowly once my body tells me that it's ready.

      Delete
  7. Oh dang, I am so sorry you caught Covid. I've heard from so many lately. Any clue where you got it? I am glad you're already on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep COVID is definitely still a thing. My #1 suspects are the museum we went to on our day trip a few days before or a random grocery store encounter.

      Delete
  8. Ah, so you finally got Covid! How is the rest of the family? I'm a little late commenting so I hope by this time you're completely better. Glad you weren't too sick with it, but it does not sound like it was fun, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep finally got it! Like you say, it's not that bad and it's also not that good.

      Delete
  9. That does not sound fun! I hope you are feeling better now. Hopefully this means you are unlikely to get it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed! Hey, I would have preferred to get a booster from Pfizer but I'll settle for one from nature.

      For some reason I can't leave comments on your blog no matter what browser I use but I LOVED your safari recaps and I'm so happy that you got your trip! Here are the links for anyone who doesn't know what we're talking about and I can't wait to read the rest of the story!

      https://www.elizabethclor.com/2022/08/african-safari-adventure.html
      https://www.elizabethclor.com/2022/08/africa-victoria-falls.html

      Delete
  10. Oh, no! I hope you are feeling better by now and you are back to your usual self. No appetite is the worst. :P I've been lucky so far but I have a feeling that is going to run out this semester.... ramping up to classes (in person) and needing to be in the building at least 2 1/2 days/week (not a requirement from the school, but a requirement for teaching). Here's hoping I don't encounter the wrong air molecule, but I have a feeling it's going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed that you don't get it. I always knew that it would just be a matter of time. Oh well.

      Delete