Monday, February 6, 2023

Weekly Round Up: Life on the Beach

 

A weekly roundup: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  It was a routine week with an unexpected trip to the beach over the weekend.

My Trip to the Beach

The weather was good on Saturday so I hit the road and did a museum crawl in a Big City that was about two hours away.  This particular Big City borders a lake, so on the way home I went to take a peak and by shear luck I ended up in a park with a beach.

In the dead of winter!  Those aren't waves in the picture above, it's ice covered with snow.  I don't know how to describe the sensation of being bundled up from head to toe in a world of snow and ice on the beach with sand but it was wonderful and ended up being the best part of the trip.  Who knew that the beach isn't just for summer?


Back to the routine stuff....

Eats

Yes there are days when I'm fresh out of ideas and nuggets and mac n'cheese actually sounds pretty good. 

 

Toward the end of the week I had a yen and made the braised tofu from Cheap Lazy Vegan's Everyday Asian Recipes ebook.  I can't decide which was better: the first serving or the leftovers.  I'll just have to keep making it until I decide.

 

The hubs was craving chicken burritos so on Sunday I whipped out the Instant Pot and made a giant batch of chicken and cilantro lime rice for them.  While I was at it, I cooked up a bunch of shrimp for the chicken hater in our house (me).  Plan A was shrimp tacos but I changed my mind midstream and ended up with "a bunch of stuff in a bowl"" rice, shrimp, lettuce, tomato, avocado, and a splash of salad dressing.


Workouts

I finished week 6 of 10 of Caroline Girvan's Epic III.  My review so far:

  • Weeks 1 to 3 were excellent
  • Week 4 was noticeably easier, which fine, it can't be hard all the time but yes also it was a bit boring.
  • Weeks 5 and 6 were...eh whatever.  Some of the workouts feel very long and repetitive, and in all honesty it's falling short of amazing.
  • Come on weeks 7 to 10!!!!  Get us back to week 1 to 3 territory.  I try not to look at the workouts before I do them but I did happen to notice that there is a pushup and abs workout in week 10 and I'm telling you right now that I will be skipping that workout.  Major props if this is in your wheelhouse but I'm not there and I don't see getting there in the next 3 weeks.

I think that once I finish Epic III the next place to go is to Epic Heat which is 30 minute workouts.  The time constraint should take care of the repetitiveness.  I also want to check out the Advent series, which is 20 minute workouts.  If nothing else clicks I can always repeat Iron and Beast Mode.  I just want to do as much "new" stuff as possible before repeating.

Watching

Season 4 of Fauda!!!  Uh you know, the Israeli spies n'guys action show that doesn't have a good trailer so I'll skip linking it.  I'm as happy as a clam and Netflix has an extra $9.99 in their pockets.

It's taking a bit of discipline but I want to make it last so I'm only watching it on the treadmill.  Back when I was running I would have finished it in a week, and I think it will take a bit more than 3 weeks to get through it. 

The hubs and I enjoyed Knives Out a few years ago and I was hearing great things about The Glass Onion so I couldn't wait to get on it.  The hubs was dragging his feet because he'd seen one negative review.  Well finally I won out and we sat down to watch.

So who's right?  "Everyone" or The Critical Drinker? (heads up, the link is to a review with full spoilers)

Look, we enjoyed it and I thought The Drinker was a bit harsh but also...yeah it's not the greatest movie ever made.

Reading

I'd started How to Start a Fire by Lisa Lutz for the simple reason that I needed a surefire hit and she's a good place to get one.  At first I felt like the plot might be a touch close to The Accomplice (life long friends with a mysterious bond), the next night I really got into it, and then I went into a spell of missing my nightly reading time and I got the thread of the story all jumbled up and couldn't make sense of who was who.

So for now I've set it aside and I'll come back to it later when The Accomplice is fully out of my head.  The other reason that I didn't fight to stay with it is that Something Else came along.

So you may remember that just over a week ago I toured a Frank Lloyd Wright house and that I'm pretty obsessed?  And then I came to learn something about his personal life.  The spicy tomato there is that in 1909 he hit it off with the wife of one of his clients and they both left their spouses and lived together.  NBD today, very big deal back then and he lost a lot of business because of it (oh he was fine, back in those days if you got shunned by American society you just went abroad and lived your life the way you wanted to live it).  The big shocker is how the relationship ended.  My lips are sealed but safe to say that if someone was going to write a novel about a famous architect who ran off with a married woman they would not imagine let alone chose that as an ending.

Well someone wrote that book!  It's called Loving Frank and I am IN TO IT.  Yes I know how it's going to end but I am fully along for the ride.  Right now I've just gotten to the point where spouses have been left and they're having a blast in Europe.

See you next week!

21 comments:

  1. Is it wrong that now I want some Kraft mac and cheese? I haven't had that in ages. The beach in the cold is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If wanting Kraft mac and cheese is wrong, then there's no point in being right. I mean, I want exactly this much every six months or so.

      Delete
  2. Fauda keeps on popping up in my Netflix "trending now", so I'll give it a try.

    Nice job on the Epic series! A great idea to do the shorter workouts. I prefer that too. That's why Pamela Reif suits me so well. On booty day, I do 4 booty videos where she's in a different location wearing different outfits (as if it matters, but it does!), and the workouts and the music vary a lot.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy the Advent series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booty day!!!! That's what I'm going to start calling glutes day.

      I almost never watch TV shows a second time, but I might have to keep Netflix for a bit and rewatch Fauda. It's just that good.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is some juicy gossip about Frank Lloyd Wright. LE SCANDAL. So true though, just pop over to Europe for a while, no one minds a mistress there. Maybe I should read that book!
    Love those photos of the beach. My parents live on a lake and it freezes over solidly in the winter, but one year it was windy and minus 30 when it was in the freezing process, and it froze in waves. It was very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is great, I recommend it. It's very different from my usual fare of cotton candy thrillers.

      Delete
  4. Yes, the FLW SCANDAL! So much drama and gossip. Generally I feel terrible about gossiping about celebrities, but everyone involved is dead, so I think it's just juicy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Look, they were in love and they couldn't get married plus the whole being dead thing. I'm sure they're fine with my curiosity.

      Delete
  5. The winter beach photos are beautiful, but they make me shiver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough, I wasn't cold. The wind was fierce but the sun was out and I was bundled up in a coat and hat so everything evened out. Still, I'll be happy to go back in the summer.

      Delete
  6. I loooooove Kraft macaroni and cheese. So good, so comforting. So very orange. Somehow you manage to make tofu look delicious. Now I need to go look into the instant pot chipotle chicken (even though the instant pot freaks me out).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem with the Instant Pot is IT'S NOT INSTANT. That freaking thing takes like 20 minutes to start. I'm guessing that the slow cooker would do just as well.

      Delete
  7. Okay, now I'm intrigued with the FLW scandal. I think I'd heard that (years and years ago...I am an art geek, after all), but I had forgotten about it. I'm gonna have to find that book, thanks for the recommend ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't, I hope that you get to tour an FLW house someday. They are pieces of livable art and I think it would be right up your alley.

      Delete
  8. My daughter once created a homemade costume of Kraft Mac n' Cheese (called Kraft Dinner here in Canada), so love of boxed Mac n Cheese runs deep in our family. I have it about once a year and it is such a blast from my past.

    I was very meh about Glass Onion. I think it was more of a letdown because I had enjoyed Knives Out so much? It was fine, but...very forgettable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've already forgotten it. I like the name Kraft Dinner so much better.

      Delete
  9. I love the winter-y beach photos. Living in Florida the beach is warm and sunny year-round, so it's nice to see something different.
    On the subject of FLW, I looked it up and there's one of his houses in Florida! It's in Tallahassee and open for tours. My daughter is planning to go to camp this summer up there, so I'm thinking we can drop her off at camp and then tour the house. And I'll have to read that book first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! I can only speak for the two houses that I've toured, but they've been an awesome experience. You get all of the art and design stuff, and then you get the story of the people who owned the house.

      Delete
  10. A frozen beach is such a beutiful sight. I was able to catch some ice crystels earlier this week myself and it also was one of the best moments lately. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In theory I don't like winter but...after being on the beach now I like winter.

      Delete
  11. Woah, surreal. At the beach with icy/snowy waves.

    ReplyDelete