Sunday, July 26, 2026

Weekly Round Up: Books and a Long Weekend Trip

 


This week we're doing a mashup of the Weekly Round Up and Let's Go Places!  We'll be talking about TV and books, lounging on the beach, and walking across an international border, all within a few hours of home.

Watching

Like everyone else on the planet, I try to balance my interest in watching TV with my disgust at the price of the major streaming services.  I'm very stingy with these services but also I hate ads so when I do get a subscription, I always pay extra for the no-ad version.  I had quite the list of Netflix shows to watch, but I couldn't stomach the price increase of the no-ad version so I kept putting it off.

But when I listened to a recent episode of The Reframe podcast, I was surprised to hear Kathleen's argument for not paying for the ad free versions.  She said that when she watches TV that she will inevitably take breaks, so she views the ads as a reminder to get up from the TV.  After pondering that, I realized that one of the reasons that I take forever to watch shows is exactly for that reason - I'll sit down in front of the TV and then want to get a snack, or Doggo will want to go out, or I'll get distracted by something on my phone.  So just for yucks I decided to get the ad (cheap) version of Netflix this time just to see how annoying the ads were compared to my TV watching cheapness.

So far so good!  I've watched a lot of Netflix in the past few days, and the ads are really not that obtrusive.  And I end up pausing the shows a lot anyway due to the aforementioned reasons for taking breaks.

So what have I been Netflixing?

First up: I read the book and now I've seen the movie of Remarkably Bright Creatures.  I put off reading the book because I heard it was about an octopus and that sounded weird, and then I put off watching the show because even though the book pulled it off surely there was no way that the movie was going to be able to do it.  Wrong on both counts!  The movie held its own and was well worth the watch.

Currently: Beef!  100% due to SHU's recommendation, and she did not steer me wrong.  She described it as having a White Lotus vibe, and I agree and think that is all the background that you need.  I was instantly hooked.  Netflix dropped me straight into season 2, but from what I've heard it's an anthology show with new story lines each season so I don't think I'm missing anything by going out of order.  Like I said, I am a somewhat slow TV watcher, but I think it's a safe bet that I will have seen the whole thing by the next time we talk.

Reading

Catching up from last time: well, I tried, but I ended up DNF'ing Tom Lake around the 50% mark.  It was just sooooo slow and I wasn't bonding with any of the characters.  Hey Whistler was so good that even if I never click with another Ann Patchett book in my life it was still worth it.

I also left you in the middle of The Book That I Didn't Want to Read, which started strong and just got stronger with every page.  That would be A Hymn to Life: Shame Has to Change Sides by Gisele Pelicot.  If you are not familiar, she is the woman who was living her life like any other woman: happily married, loving life as a grandmother, and dealing with a few alarming unexplained medical conditions such as blackouts and loss of memory.  She got her explanation when her husband was arrested and had his computer seized: he had been drugging her, raping her, and having a jaw dropping number of strangers come to their house to rape her for years.  When it came time for the trial, she was offered anonymity, but then she realized that if she was anonymous then the staggering number of defendants would also be anonymous, and that did not sit right with her.  She went public and wrote one hell of a book.

A comment that I got on the last post and had myself before going into this book was "I would have to be in the right headspace to read this book".  I can only speak for myself, but the book was so well written that the only emotion that I had was wanting to wildly applaud her with every page.

The book that I read since we last talked: The Burning Side by Sarah Damoff.  This book is about a marriage that is on its last legs when the house burns down and the protagonists have to move in with the wife's family.  I feel the same way that I felt about the author's previous book, The Bright Years.  Great premise, the book got my attention on page one and then...it was a "good enough to keep reading" experience.  I also wish that I had skipped the final chapter, since there was an "Aha!  So that's why this plot point was in the book" tie in that I could have done without.

Currently: I've got a few titles checked out on my Kindle and an audio book for book club, it's just a matter of digging in and seeing what sticks.

Let's Go Places: Long Weekend Edition

The stars aligned and Hubs picked a few of the ideas that I'd written down for possible couples trips at the start of the summer.  The moral of the story is that just because we don't live near the ocean doesn't mean that we can't go to the beach.  And also that apparently we are not sensitive to smoke because the first two days of our trip were the height of the latest round of wildfire smoke.  It brought back memories of The Great Island Bender of 2023, which also started off extra smoky.

If I asked you to visualize a location halfway between Cleveland and Buffalo, I am guessing that this is not the picture that came to mind:

Presque Isle PA, 2022

The view of Erie PA from Presque Isle, 2023

The same view on July 17, 2026

So, yes, conditions could have been better, but they still weren't bad even with the smoke.  We went on a long bike ride around the isle and put in a long session on the beach.



By Saturday things cleared up and we headed up toward Buffalo.  On the way we stopped at the newly opened Barcelona (NY not Spain lol) lighthouse.


The stairway was recently rebuilt.

Barcelona is a place that likes to let you know what you're getting in to.  They had a mock up of the entrance to the tower in the visitors' center and you have to climb through it in order to be admitted into the lighthouse.  It is not a wide space.



But as always the views were worth it.

While in Buffalo we went on an FLW bender and went to the Martin House and Graycliff, which I had previously been to in March 2023.  

And then we did something that was a "been there done that" for Hubs but new to me, which was walking to Canada, as one does.




Then we did a "new to both of us" activity, which was a hike that a friend recommended to Eternal Flame Falls.  The hike isn't very long, but there is quite a payoff at the end.  





And with that we headed home.

What's Next?

I'm headed back out of town!  The teaser is: road trip, state capitals, FLW binge, and a loooooong overdue blogger meetup.  See you on the other side!

Peace Out!  Do you pay extra for the no-ad versions of streaming services?  Who's seen Beef?  Have you read any of these books?  Did you get smoke from the wildfires?  Have you walked across an international bridge?

36 comments:

  1. Yay, you walked to Canada! I love that. Too bad about the smoke but at least it cleared off. We have had a few smokey days but it hasn't been too bad. August can be a bad month, although last year there was almost nothing, so fingers crossed.
    I am in the queue for The Burning Side, so we'll see. I was meh about the Bright Years, I didn't hate it or love it. I will report back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also I will confess that I thought "just because we don't live near the ocean doesn't mean we can't go to the beach" was a sexual euphemism. Clearly, my brain is elsewhere (also, I do not live near the ocean but I can go to the beach any day of the week, so I'm not sure why my brain hopped right to SEXYTIMES rather than, you know, a lake).

      Delete
    2. Girl, you can go to the beach any day of the week!!! Get it!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, Netflix comes with ads in the US?? We don't have that yet, neither in Switzerland nor in South Africa. However, I suspect that will change sooner or later... and when it does, I'll go with the bathroom break version like you!

    Gisèle Pelicot's memoir must be impressive. Her daughter, Caroline Darian, also wrote a book about the nightmare from her own perspective, which probably is also a fascinating read.

    And yes, I have walked across an international bridge! As you can imagine, Switzerland is so tiny that it has quite a few rivers that form borders with neighbouring countries. I think I have even run a few races where we crossed into Germany and France over a bridge - definitely a fun way to add an international element to a run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crossing a border in a race is next level!

      If not for this post I would have thought that Netflix had ads in all countries, and I've quickly learned that's not the case. Sigh.

      Delete
  3. We have one streaming service at a time. Right now, it's AppleTV. I imagine we'll get around to getting Netflix again in like two years. LOL. We did pay for the ad-free Peacock app during the Olympics and it made watching a million times more pleasant. But we cancelled immediately after the Olympics.

    Yes, we did get smoke. And, it turns out that I'm pretty sensitive to it, but I didn't know I was until just this month. The more you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life lessons that you wish you never had to learn...sigh.

      Delete
  4. We have no ads on Netflix. Is this an American thing???

    Ugh. The smoke and wildfires are just terrible for so many reasons. Unfortunately, it seems like this will be the norm for summers moving forward. VERY SAD FACE.

    You keep showing me up with my lighthouse game, Birchie. I need to get on this!

    I have a little bit of an inside scoop about your current adventure and I am legitimately so jealous. Have the best time and you know where I will be the instant your blog post recap(s) go live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grrr!!! I have learned from you and Catrina that Netflix does not have ads in other countries. Sigh. It's $9 with ads and $20 without. There used to be a $15 month option with no ads but they got rid of it, which is why it has been a VERY long time since I've had Netflix.

      Delete
  5. Ooh! Another lighthouse! I am glad the smoke cleared some for you. And that waterfall is so pretty!

    I am cheap and don't want to pay extra for things, so I am stuck with ads, too. I just decide to do other things during ads (like research something on my phone, or do a quick chore).

    We get smoke here, and it's unfortunately pretty normal since there are wildfires almost every summer. But the monsoon rains help.

    Stay safe and enjoy your next trip and blogger meetup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Money is so funny. I have no problem spending on travel, but $20 a month for ad free Netflix that I would have for only one month was a hard no.

      Someday I'm going to run out of "road trip distance" states and then I'll be headed your way to see the smoke and monsoons for myself (plus all of the beauty that I know is out there).

      Delete
    2. Yeah. We all have our priorities, right?

      And although I might be an anomaly and mostly like Arizona summers, fires and all, fall and spring are beautiful! And you can catch the cougar shadow if you do March or September. :)

      Delete
  6. I usually pay for the ad-free version of a streaming service. Right now, I'm watching Big Brother live so I see commercials but it's kinda nice to know I have these small breaks every 8-10 minutes to get up and do a little something!

    I've walked that bridge! My mom and I have a cute photo of us standing on both "sides" so we can say we've been in two countries at once!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have mixed feelings about ads. On the one hand, they are annoying, and the streaming services seem to have put no thought into where the ad goes. Back in the days of network television, which yes I recognize still exists even if I don't partake, each show had a natural break for a commercial. You could predict when a commercial was going to happen, and no one got cut off mid sentence or at in the middle of a crucial monologue. On the other hand, I *adore* advertising and I love ads. The big problem for me is that they are so repetitive! We are watching Taskmaster on YouTubeTV and the commercials are the same. Boring. I do love trying to use the bathroom and/or get a snack before the commercials end, though. That's a fun throw back to my youth.

    Your weekend trip looks fabulous, except for the smoke. I love that a person can walk to Canada! How cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pro tip for Youtube - if you watch through the Brave browser, you won't get ads! I don't mind them on Netflix but they're just too much on YT.

      Delete
  8. We mostly have the ad versions of streaming services except Netflix which my MIL pays for and she must pay for the ad free version. It’s nice to have one ad free streaming service but I don’t hate the ads enough to pay to remove them.

    Wow those are some smoky views! I am glad it cleared up later in the trip.

    I have read the octopus book. I liked it but did not love it. I haven’t watched the movie. I liked Tom Lake but not as much as her others. My favorite by far is Commonwealth. And I also read the Damoff book which I liked more than you did. I did not like the epilogue, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated the epilogue, which I incorrectly called the final chapter in this post. It made me want to throw the book across the room.

      Delete
  9. Please let me urge you to check the air quality on your phone and pay attention to it. That smoky day was not a good one to be out on a bicycle or doing much outside, unfortunately. Lots of folks have heart attacks when the smoke is bad and they are outside inhaling all of it. I know you’re young and healthy…keep it that way!

    We saw and loved both seasons of Beef! Totally different cast and story between season 1 and 2. Actually, season 1 was better in my book, but both were good.

    We don’t watch any ads. We just pause when we need to go to the bathroom or whatever. I like your reasoning on it, though, something to consider.

    I didn’t know Pelicot had written a book. What an amazing, strong woman. What a horrific story with a horrific bunch of men! HORRIFIC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished season 2 today and I can't wait to start season 1!

      Delete
  10. So many great things here- your trip looks amazing! I'm glad the smoke didn't ruin it.
    I now feel even more justified in not reading Tom Lake. I also don't want to read Whistler- should I reconsider that? Furthermore, now I definitely want to read Pelicot's book.
    I love your teasers for the next trip! I'm trying to think of which bloggers you haven't met yet- you've met so many!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IMO Whistler was amazing. It got my attention from the start and kept me turning the pages. Everything else that I've tried by Patchett...not so much.

      Delete
  11. We started the first season of Beef, but the dark ,mean, angry comedy and people behaving badly wasn't for me. I think I like my tv to be a little more kind, and full of people I'd want to spend time with, and there was no one in Beef that I wanted to spend time with. Which is sad because I do like it when mainstream media puts Asian performers in lead roles without it being about race.
    I do want to read Pelicot's book- I read an interview with her in the NY Times which was really inspiring - but sexual abuse is hard for me to read. Although... Emma Thompson reads the audiobook, and I feel a little ashamed to say it, but that might be an inducement for me to listen to the book vs. reading it.
    We are going to Niagara Falls in a few weeks, so maybe we'll walk across a bridge then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about wanting TV to be kind and about people that you would want to spend time with. Obviously Beef is not that, but season 2 really worked for me, and I'll be checking out season 1 soon.

      I had a harder time reading the news coverage of the Pelicot case than I did in reading the book. The inspiring vibe that you picked up on in the interview really set the tone for the book. I absolutely recommend the audio version! Emma delivered.

      Delete
  12. You have really been keeping busy! All the hiking and “ocean-view” enjoyment sound great! I hear ya on the streaking services. I have Hulu, and on occasion can access my sister’s Netflix and YouTube TV (shhhh! ). I’ve learned to just deal with the ads, also, because I don’t watch enough TV for it to really matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ads are a mixed bag. On regular Youtube they are so obnoxious that it's worthwhile to get around them (at one point I got paid YT but then I found out that if I watch it through the Brave browser that it blocks the ads = hooray!). So far Netflix hasn't been too bad so I don't mind.

      Delete
  13. I also got the ad-version of Netflix a while back and it's really not intrusive at all, even less so if you're watching older stuff. You walked into Canada! Yay! Welcome! We had a couple days of really bad smoky weather, so that even with windows closed my eyes were burning and irritated inside the house. Fortunately, it's cleared up now. I haven't yet watched Beef, loved Sarah Damoff's first novel, haven't yet read the second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pro tip! Once I finish Beef I will be watching older stuff, so hopefully that will mean even fewer ads.

      Delete
  14. Oh my goodness, Eternal Flame Falls is SO fascinating! I never knew such a thing existed, and it's really cool. I clicked the link and learned all about it. It's interesting that the Barcelona light house had a mockup entrance. It's a good idea to let people know what they're getting into. When we first started streaming, we enjoyed paying to be ad-free. But, we discovered we could use the mute button and go do stuff, or chat about the show while the ads are on, so we don't pay extra any more. We rotate around services, so one of these days we'll choose Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eternal Flame was a great find! It wasn't too long or too difficult of a hike, and it had a huge payoff.

      The streaming services have become so greedy! I do the same as you, get one at a time and then I'll only keep it for a month or two.

      Delete
  15. I'd never even heard of Eternal Flame! So incredible.

    Engie's idea of only having one paid streaming service at a time is a great one. I'm definitely going to do that. Our Netflix is ad-free. I hate commercials, but on Hulu, I simply mute them or take a little break during each. Like Suzanne, I make little challenges like grabbing drinks, using the bathroom, or folding/gathering laundry.

    I enjoyed Tom Lake, but I understand why some readers would not. I liked Whistler, especially after thinking it over and chatting with J and Maya about its themes and relationships. Still, it didn't make it onto my Favourites Shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If not for my friends I would never have heard of Eternal Flame either. It was a great find.

      Delete
  16. That beach view is incredible and I did not know there was a spot so beautiful between Cleveland and Buffalo. Good to know. Coach has a lot of cousins and aunts/uncles in Cleveland. Hmm, maybe one day we'll make that a road trip.

    I don't think I've ever walked into another country. I've not read any of those books, but I was listening to something on a long drive after dropping a kid at college and an Oprah podcast started up and she interviewed the woman who wrote that book. I'd never heard her story (this was a few years ago now), and I drove along for many miles in total disgust and disbelief. Holy crap, that was a horrible thing to do. Sick people. The hazy days of smoke did hover over our area for a few days. It was the day the kids had a very long golf tournie to caddy in. Coach thought they'd cancel it, but they didn't. We do not pay for ad-free streaming services. Coach is anti too many streaming services, so we are with HBO MAX right now. The commercials are SO LOUD (sorry for shouting). Mini has a student discount on Hulu, so we have that right now too. I find myself doing something else while we have the tv on anyway, so the ads don't really bother me. It's the only time when my kids aren't scolding me to pay attention. I don't do that when I'm watching something really engaging, but some stuff is easy to watch with one eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beauty that lies between Cleveland and Buffalo...definitely a well kept secret.

      Delete
  17. I am glad to hear Remarkably Bright Creatures was good as a movie! I remember the book kind of had a twist but don't remember what, lol.

    Like you I have a long list of things to watch on Netflix but I don't want to pay for a zillion streamers (and don't believe in watching things illegally LOL). It sounds like there is a lot of good stuff on there right now though!

    You are not missing out with a Tom Lake DNF lol.

    Oh! I haven't heard of The Burning Side but remember reading The Bright Years. Maybe I'll check it out and see if I feel the same way about the last chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like we're on the same streaming plan - fighting back by getting the services irregularly and infrequently.

      Thanks for letting me know that I can fell good about walking away from Tom Lake;-) Dumb title, incredibly boring book.

      Delete