Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Let's Go Places: The Great Blogger Road Trip, Part One

 


Friends, the Great Road Trip of 2026 is in progress.  Two bloggers, one car, and many miles.

I am a slow writer in general and an even slower travel writer in particular, so I thought I would try a little experiment with rapid, semi-real time blogging.  Instead of sifting through billions of pictures and trying to come up with Profound Thoughts, how about I check in every few days and give you a quick run down of what's been going on?

How This Trip Came to Be

It has been two years since Kyria and I met up in Buffalo, and we were due for another meeting.  She is mainly interested in National Parks, I am mainly interested in state capitals, and we are both interested in meeting up with bloggy friends.  There is a lot of overlap between the three interests.

Normally this is where I give you a day by day overview of the trip so that you have a snapshot before we start chatting, but we're going to do things a little differently this time.  There are so many moving parts to the trip AND we're still on it.  All that you need to know for right now is that the trip started at Birchwood HQ, we are traveling in the BirchieMobile, and the total estimated mileage is 4,000.

Trip Prologue: Birchwood HQ

Kyria flew into town a few days before we left.  Our activities included but were not limited to:

  • Hanging out at home
  • Dog walks
  • Hiking in my "local" National Park (pictured above)
  • Going to the nearest Big City and seeing the sights.
  • Meeting up with bloggy friends who enjoy privacy and not having their names and locations disclosed on the internet.
  • Dinner with Hubs


The biggest unknown was how Doggo would take to having a new person in the house.  She warmed up to Kyria right away, but would usually bark and growl at her when she came into the room, so things were not perfect but overall it was a huge success.  In her spare time, Doggo worked Kyria for kisses and treats (not necessarily in that order) and was not shy about claiming her seat at the table.

Time passed quickly and it was soon time to pack up our stuff and hit the road.  


Here is a shot of our luggage: 
  • Stuff on floor: car cooler on wheels, my weekender bag with clothes, toiletries, and electronics, green tote with food, small red bag with coffee making supplies (portable kettle, pour over filter, and travel mug).  
  • Stuff on bench:
    • Left side, red reusable grocery bag with snacks, sneakers, and my extensive Road Water Bottle Collection.  
    • Right side: Kyria's backpack, sneakers, and reused BK coffee cup.  
    • Not shown: our purses, a backpack that I kept extra clothes in, and a few extra odds and ends in the car.  
The point of all this: I have much more stuff than Kyria does!  Clothing wise, I brought a four day cycle of outfits to mix and match and rotate through that will tide me over between laundry stops.

Day 1

Start: Birchwood HQ

End: Burr Ridge IL (suburb of Chicago)

States Traveled In: Ohio, Indiana, Illinois

Things we did: hiking at Indiana Dunes NP, dinner with Ernie.

Eats: cereal bars in the car for breakfast.  For lunch we hit up the car cooler for sandwiches from our stash of Road Sandwich supplies.  Dinner was a combo meat platter at a middle Eastern restaurant.

Media Consumed/Road Trip Activities

  • Various podcasts
  • Taking note of license plates on passing cars.  We set a goal to find at least one other car with an Ohio license plate in every state on the trip and were successful in all of our day one states.
  • Listened to the Music Man soundtrack.  Why?  Because we drove through Gary, Indiana


Best Thing: dinner with Ernie.

2nd Best Thing: Indiana Dunes NP

Worst Thing: the hotel in Burr Ridge.  It was a room with two queen beds and one nightstand with one lamp between the beds.  There was no lightbulb in the lamp, and by the end of our stay we still did not have a lightbulb and not for a lack of asking.  In the end Kyria did what the hotel was unable to do and moved a lightbulb from another fixture to the bedside lamp.

2nd Worst Thing (but bonus points because it includes a funny anecdote): Storm damage at Indiana Dunes NP and Gary, Indiana.  There were a lot of trees down on the trails.  At one point two young, very fit men passed from the other side of the trail and I asked them if there were more trees down from where they had come from.  It turned out that they were just a little bit ahead of us on the trail and had turned around, and one said "we're just not feeling very spry today".  From then on Kyria and I gave ourself Spry Awards for each tree that we had to climb over.  All of the traffic lights were out in Gary, some roads were flooded, and the number of downed trees was insane.

Day Two

Start: Burr Ridge IL

End: Minneapolis MN

States Traveled In: Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota

Ohio License Plate Sightings: Illinois = yes, Wisconsin = no, Minnesota = no

Things We Did: met up with Engie and Sarah for an early lunch in Madison, stayed with Lisa & Fam in Minneapolis, and played a family game of Taco, Cat, Goat, Cheese, Pizza.

Eats: yogurt, granola, and honey (a typical Road Food breakfast), a breakfast burrito for lunch, and a feast at Lisa's: grilled brats, corn on the cob, and a green bean salad.



Media Consumed/Road Trip Activities

Best Thing: hanging out with Lisa & Fam

2nd Best Thing: lunch meetup with Sarah and Engie (y'all only get the #2 spot because you cannot compete with the cuteness of Lisa's kids)

Worst Thing and 2nd Worst Thing: none to report other than traffic and construction and Madison and a little road fatigue

Day Three

Start: Minneapolis MN

End: Bismarck ND

States Traveled In: Minnesota and North Dakota

Ohio License Plate Sightings: Minnesota = no, North Dakota = yes

Things We Did: morning walk with Lisa around Lake Harriet, brief stop in Fargo ND 


Eats: oatmeal at Lisa's, Road Sandwich from the cooler for lunch, fancy ramen for dinner.


Media Consumed/Road Trip Activities
  • Zero podcasts were listened to because we were feeling chatty
  • 36 Questions 
Best Thing: the morning walk with Lisa

2nd Best Thing: talking for six hours straight, and Fargo was cute

Worst Thing: it was just not a bad day, and I'm really having to dig deep to come up with a negative.  The toilet paper holder in the Bismarck Airbnb was a weird place and it was very difficult to reach from the throne.


Speaking of the Airbnb, Let's Rate It!



The unit was a two bedroom, one bathroom house near the capitol.  High praise for looks and function, constructive criticism for the TP access situation.


That's a Wrap on Part One of the Great Blogger Road Trip.  Let's meet up here again in a few days and I'll catch you up on where we go next.

39 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! I a road trip with Kyria, how fun and amazing is that. And soooo many blogger meetups! There is a real glut of bloggers in the midwest, right? Speaking of which... i know they've had a crazy series of storms lately. My sister has had two storms that knocked out their power for days, and brought down several big trees on their property. So now you've been to Indiana Dunes twice to my none... i'm hoping to rectify that next summer.
    I can't wait to hear where you go next. I'm liking this format of your travel posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What we saw in Gary was unreal. It's been rough out there.

      We definitely thought about you when we saw the signs for Valparaiso. You were very much with us in spirit!

      Delete
  2. So much good stuff here! You two are really putting on the miles AND seeing all the people. I'm excited to "go with you" on this trip, if only virtually.
    I am with Jenny and I love this format too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting! I can travel 4,000 miles but also not have to leave my house. And that is what I need right now, because I'm all traveled out. Congrats on the Spry Awards. I love the account of your travels so far, and look forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. you have driven a long distance in a short time! Every day sounds like so much fun, and I'm glad that you don't have much fodder for your "worst lists". The storm damage in Indiana sounds terrible. This is a great format, and I'm so happy you wrote because I've been curious about your adventures! I'm looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when the worst is lack of downtime and hard-to-reach TP, that's a good day! We're loving this trip.

      Delete
  5. I would be offended, but I do admit that I cannot compete with adorable children. I am glad things are going so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that you and Sarah are not as cute as Lisa's kids, but the trip would not have been complete if we hadn't seen you. Thanks for making the time to have lunch with us!

      Delete
  6. This is such a fun recap! And what a delightful idea to travel with another blogger and stop by your other friends. If only I loved car rides! My real life friends live all across the US, and seeing them (or even some of them) in real life would be quite the adventure!

    Also, props on your spryness! We can do hard things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having another driver and company makes long car rides go quickly. Team Spry!

      Delete
  7. Yay for Spry Awards! I also appreciate that the weirdly located toilet paper holder made it onto the official list of trip complaints. Priorities!

    Two bloggers, one car, 4,000 miles and a whole bunch of bloggy meetups sounds like a pretty perfect combination to me. I love that you’re doing the trip as a semi-real-time blog because I think the little details are what make a road trip fun to read about.

    And yes, of course nobody can compete with Lisa's kids, they are adorable on the blog and must be even cuter in real life.

    I’m looking forward to Part Two and seeing where the BirchieMobile takes you next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the worst thing that happens to you is having an awkward reach for TP, that's a very good day.

      Delete
  8. I love these sorts of posts and my goodness YOU LADIES ARE JUST ZOOMING. I am very impressed by your efficiency, but it also looks like you're having fun and seeing so much cool stuff (and meeting so many cool people).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are zooming! It's so nice to have two drivers plus the companionship that only another blogger can provide.

      Delete
  9. Did my car count for an Ohio license plate? LOL

    It was so nice to meet both you and Kyria (and yes, now I do say her name correctly) when you stopped by the lakehouse for the afternoon. I wish the weather had been more accommodating for our boat tour.

    The two of you are really covering a lot of area already! And what a bonus to meet Lisa's family. I agree that they should take the top spot--those boys are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very nice to meet you and the Mister too! But as great as all of our friends are, there is just no denying that Lisa's boys take the top spot.

      Delete
  10. This was fun to read! Your visit was amazing. My one complaint is that it was TOO SHORT but you are 2 spry ladies with places to go and things to do! I am glad we could host you for one night and that the boys were on their best behavior. And you got to learn about new games from Paul! Have you been keeping up with Worldle? I am admittedly terrible at it but it is very fun game.

    I can't wait to follow along! I hope today's epic day in western ND does not disappoint and that I did not oversell the Medora Musical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was already liking eastern ND so you can only imagine what it was like when we crossed over to the west. Kyria's friend really set us up with a night on the town. Medora rocks!

      Delete
    2. And yes our visit was TOO SHORT. We will do better next time.

      Delete
  11. That looks like a fun road trip! I play the License Plate Game (yes, it's available as a phone app) on road trips, because I am a Passenger Princess. The Middle Eastern combo on night one looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BRB, gotta go download the license plate game app!

      Delete
  12. While I *adore* your in-depth posts about your adventures, I am loving this format. I am also extremely jealous that you two get to enjoy all this time together and with other bloggers!

    Ugh, the hotels and their DEARTH OF LAMPS. What is the deal??? I swear to you, the people who design hotels have never stayed in a hotel, or perhaps never required lighting before bed. I have this vision of people (men, probably) so thoroughly exhausted after spending their days sourcing the tiniest possible trash cans and placing mass orders for the loudest possible HVAC systems that they fall into bed well before day slides into night, never needing to plug in a phone or turn on a lamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's face it, the best post is the one we will write, and if I wait until I have proper writing time then I will have such a backlog that I will never get it done.

      Yes to having full time blogging company and getting to meet our friends.

      Delete
  13. This is amazing! It's like when they used to the "sweeps" episodes of tv shows with all the guest stars and different locations. I, too, have an extensive car water bottle collection and just wanted to note how seen I felt in that reference. Happy and safe travels to you and Kyria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel seen because of your comment! A few years ago Kyria wrote a post about how we "pack our fears" and that is absolutely me and my water bottles. I refuse to ever run out of water!

      Delete
  14. Aww this is so great you are roadtripping together! And I am so glad Doggo and Kyria hit it off!

    I am laughing that she moved a lightbulb over. YES! ha ha

    Spry awards! Yes! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving the lightbulb was such an obvious solution. That only one of us thought to do. It pays to travel with friends who are smarter than you.

      Delete
  15. OH YEAH, I am SO HERE for this trip, so excited for you and your trip to see Capitols and bloggers and national parks. AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I completely agree on the location of the TP in the last place. Talk about awkward! I also had a low flow shower for whatever reason, so I would dock a bit for that as well, but otherwise that place was great! I have a rating system all queued up but will likely wait until the end and try to come up with profound thoughts so stay tuned! So far, so good, and I am looking forward to more adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well someone needs to come up with Profound Thoughts for this trip so you've got the job! Bring on the new adventures!

      Delete
  17. Bloggy road trip I love it!! So much bloggy delight!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMGGGGG I am just so fricken happy for you (and jealous for me, but mostly happy for you!) What a fun time - road tripping WITH a blogger to see OTHER bloggers (and like other things, I guess). 6 hours of nonstop chatting - yup, you're with a blogger! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true - I can't think of anyone on this planet that I would want to/be able to talk to for six hours other than a blogger. And that was a short conversation!

      Delete
  19. Man, a trip WITH KYRIA… and meeting so many other bloggers on the way and seeing so many cool things and eating so much delicious food. You’re doing something right. :)

    ReplyDelete