Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I used 96% lean)
- ½ small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 heaping tablespoon chili powder
- 3-4 canned chipotles in adobo plus a heaping spoonful of adobo sauce
- Additional hot sauce to taste
- 1 cup stock
- 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can diced or crushed tomatoes
Drain and rinse the kidney beans and set aside. Dice the onion and garlic.
Heat the oil on medium and cook the beef for several minutes. I use 96% lean, if you are using something fattier, drain off the fat.
Add the onions, garlic, and chili powder.
The original recipe called for one chipotle...one chipotle???
What's the point? Let's bump that up to 3-4. Chop them fine and add to the chili.
Grab a big spoonful of the adobo sauce.
And add it to the chili. We're off to a good start, but this is nowhere near hot enough.
Let's get serious about the heat. Does anyone else see a ghost? As in ghost pepper sauce!
Add a small amount. If you're not into the heat, fine, go for flavor and add a few drops of Tabasco.
Let it cook for five more minutes and add the tomatoes. Crushed or diced, doesn't matter.
Add the stock.
And the beans. Stir it all up and bring to a boil
Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
And eat away!
Post a Comment