Sunday, May 27, 2018

Weekly Eats: Mon May 21 to Sun May 27


A weekly roundup: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  Quick beach getaway edition


Hubs and I have a tradition of going away for a few days this time of year to celebrate my birthday/his half birthday.  His schedule wasn't cooperating, so at first I resigned myself to the fact that we just couldn't go this year...and then I realized that while we couldn't go, there was nothing stopping me from going.  A few mouse clicks later I scored a deal on airfare and a cheap beachfront room and off I went.  I took a few days to chill out and then came home to my family with my batteries fully charged.

My standard beach vacation protocol is: coffee, workout if I feel like it, cool off in the ocean, have breakfast, and then spend the rest of the day hanging out under a beach umbrella reading/chilling/napping alternated with swimming and beach walks.

Vacation Eats Highlights:
My room had a coffee maker, mini fridge, and microwave.  I brought coffee from home and hit up the grocery store for the rest.

Fav Breakfast: coffee and fruit pre-run, Jimmy Dean's breakfast bowls after. These weren't something that I would usually go for, but they were the best option the grocery store had to offer.  And I gotta say, they weren't bad.


Fav Lunch: grocery store sushi. 

Fav Dinner: takeout by-the-slice pizza


Weekend Breakfasts

My version of a Jimmy Dean's bowl.  A base of Macheesmo's sheet pan hashbrowns (followed the recipe except that I skipped the cheese - shout out that this was a new-to-me blog and I want to cook everything on there) with roasted green pepper/onions/mushrooms (since I had the oven on anyway, I cooked the veggies on another sheet pan alongside the hashbrowns), topped with scrambled eggs and cheese.  Doused with salsa and hot sauce for eating.


Weekend Lunches
I planned ahead for once and actually got veggies and grilled up some chicken.



Weekend Dinners
Saturday: Dinner with a hot guy and a grill.  Hubs did the honors with Delmonico steaks, zucchini, and portabella caps, I made mashed potatoes in return.


Sunday (family meal): hamburgers and fries.  Once again he did meat, I did potatoes.


Even though we have our go-to s'mores bars recipe, I wanted to test drive some new ones.  The first contender was Averie Cooks Soft and Gooey Loaded Smores Bars.  My verdict: super yum, and she wasn't kidding about the gooey part.

Meal Prep
A batch of breakfast burritos.

Gardening
The tray of seedlings went nuts while I was away.  Got those bad boys planted, now it's water and wait.


Other
Workouts:
M: weights with coffee and and a one mile treadmill run afterwards
T: off (traveling)
W: four mile beachfront run.  I stayed on the roads and ran around the docks. I knew that I wouldn't last long in the humidity, so I planned to keep it short.  This run was fantastic. 
H: felt so good after the previous day's run that I went for another.  Betcha can guess how that went.  Chose a route that was further away from the beach and died after two miles.  Walked back.
F: off (traveling)
S: The plan was to repeat the 8 mile loop I did last week, which I did, but something was off.  Humidity?  Allergies?  Travel fatigue?  Whatever, I started getting dizzy by the time I got to the park, so I ended up running six and walking two.
Su: off

Watching (from the treadmill): Fixer Upper

Watching (from the couch): Halt and Catch Fire, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and Chinatown.

Reading: When I go to the beach, the books come out!
  • Finished The Alice Network.  Thumbs up except that it took me until late in the book to warm up to Eve.
  • The Lying Game by Ruth Ware.  Rating: Yes!  Yes! Yes!  I put off reading this because although I loved her previous two books, I'd seen some negative reviews for this one.  Well, the haters were wrong, this book was everything and perfect for long beach days.  I see that her next book in coming out next week, and it's on my list for our family vacation later this summer.  
  • Final Girls by Riley Sager.  So far so good, nice thriller, easy on the brain.

Your Turn

  • What are you cooking this week?  
  • Vacation plans for the summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment