Sunday, May 19, 2019

Weekly Eats: Spelling Bee Edition


A weekly roundup: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  Meal planning went on the back burner.  Up front: work, kid stuff, a trip to Trader Joe's, a rare TJ disappointment, a lot of TV watching and oh yeah that half marathon thing.  But first let's talk about spelling.

There are three words that for the life of me I cannot spell, and I ate all of them this week.  Every.Single.Time that I type the following words, I have to look them up:

Quesadilla
Portobello
Chimichanga

You might say that's spell checker's job, but not so fast.  Blogger's spell check can handle quesadilla (if I don't misspell it too badly), but it has no clue what portobellos or chimichangas are.  Spelling suggestion for Portobello = Potbelly. According to Blogger, Chimichanga = Michigan.  Some day I will have potbellied portobellos for breakfast and then head to Michigan for chimichangas.

Anyways, here are this week's eats.

Breakfasts
Breakfasts took a turn for the better this week after last week's meal prep of breakfast potatoes and breakfast burritos.
Monday, Friday, Saturday: breakfast potatoes and eggs.

Tuesday & Thursday: breakfast burritos

Wednesday: breakfast at work

Sunday: meal planning fail!  Lately I've been eating waffles before long runs and races, but this morning the freezer was bare.  I fell back on a honey and butter sandwich for my pre-half marathon breakfast.

Lunches
Monday: a rare work from home day.  Sweet potato, guac (from half an avocado), coleslaw (Trader Joe's cruciferous crunch mix + bang bang dressing), and Costco chicken skewers.

Tuesday: Plan A was to have the last two slices from Saturday's pizza plus a small salad from our work catering spread.  But they had BBQ jakefruit, so I scrapped the pizza and had a big ol salad instead.


Wednesday: more work lunch food.  Deli sandwich + salad.

Thursday: another work lunch.  Salad, cauliflower gratin, and a portobello mushroom.  The portobello was the vegetarian alternative to chicken (um portobellos are delicious but they're not exactly a separate-but-equal alternative to chicken). 

Friday: another work lunch.  No picture, but they went all out and brought in the pizza truck.

Saturday: A fail via Trader Joe's.  I wanted to have a fairly hearty lunch the day before my first half marathon, and I'd picked up a beef sirloin taco kit thinking that would do the trick.
Look, I don't like to complain about stuff.  I'd much rather tell you about the good stuff, but this was so bad that I've got to make an exception.  Seriously, you take a taco and put the name Trader Joe's on it, how can it be bad?  But it was.  Trader Joe's guac that they sell in the single serving packets is exceptional, so where the heck did they get the green paste that they provided in the kit?  The meat was gray and flavorless.  My spidey sense told me that something was off and I was not about to go down the Teri route of getting food poisoning the day before a race, so I gave it up after a few bites.

Sunday: snacks.

Dinners
Monday (family meal): Leftover hodgepodge, taco edition.  Hubs had the last serving of chimichangas, steps had quesadillas, I had a veggie burrito.

Tuesday (family meal): We had three pieces of lasagna in the freezer, so the menfolks had that.  I had the last of my bang bang coleslaw and an air fried quesadilla.  The air fryer is not the best cooking method for quesadillas - the tortilla top blew loose from the cheese.  You can kind of see the singe marks where it hit the top of the fryer.

Wednesday (date night): last week we had steak, and all I felt like eating this week was steak.  I mean, I changed it up by getting flank steak instead of ribeye, made mashed potatoes instead of bringing home work leftovers, and added portobella mushrooms, but other than that it was the same meal.  Sorry not sorry for the repeat.

Thursday (fend for yourself night): I believe this is the last veggie burrito the freezer has to offer.

Friday (single girl night): the menfolk went off on a scouting trip.  I had the other half of my lunchtime pizza.

Saturday (single girl/pre half marathon dinner): Amy's cheese enchiladas followed by a huge bowl of lucky charms.

Sunday: the menfolk are back from the woods.  We're headed out to a family party tonight.

Meal Prep
Absolutely none.  I have no clue what we're going to eat next week.

Trader Joe's haul deets
Date night stuff: steak, portobellas, zucchini, lime, and inside out carrot cake.

Half Marathon fuel: the beef sirloin taco kit...do not recommend.

Everyday stuff/treats: bananas, lime, and almond butter cups.

Workouts
30 miles of running this week
Monday: 4 miles, felt a little draggy.  Temps were in the low 40's.
Tuesday: 5 miles of flight!  My feet never touched the ground and I have never felt more fabulous as a human being.  Temps were in the mid 40's.
Wednesday: off
Thursday: 5 more miles of flight!  2 mile warm up, 2 miles of one minute fast/two minutes recover, 1 mile cool down.  I couldn't believe my paces and I wasn't even trying.  But there was one big difference between Thursday and Tuesday: on  Tuesday I felt great...on Thursday I felt awful.  But I still had a great run in spite of it.  Temps were in the low 50's.
Friday: last pre half marathon run.  3 miles of hills.  To be more accurate, for that distance it was just one hill but it's a big one.  I didn't have the magic of Tuesday and Thursday, it was just a normal run.  Temp was around 60...I bet you're wondering why I keep calling out the temperature.
Saturday: off
Sunday: 13.1!
  • The good: I finished and it was an awesome experience.
  • The bad: the weather.  After weeks of chilly rainy days we had our first summer weekend.  It was over 70 at the start and 85 degrees by the finish.  Heat is not my thing and after mile 5 I got dizzy and had to run/walk the rest of the race.  It took me one hour longer to finish a half marathon than it did to finish the 10 mile race that I ran 3 weeks ago.
  • The takeaway: I controlled everything that I could control.  Weather happens.

What's next for running?
For run blogging, I'll most likely write up every last thought about the half in a separate post sometime this week.  I'll have the time because Imma take a few days to a week off running.  I have an appointment with a running clinic the last week in May, and I'll tell you absolutely everything about that when it happens.  I'll be working on speed this summer.  My next race is a 10k in June.  It's crazy, but I've run more race miles in the past two months than I ran all of last year. At this time last year, I'd run 2 5k's for 6.2 miles of racing total.  This year so far I've done a 10k, a 10 miler, a 5k, and a half for 32.4 miles of racing.

And yes, since you ask...of course I'll run another half and I'll probably take another shot at this particular race next year.  Hopefully in much better weather with a much better result.

Watching
I put my two single girl nights this week to good use and finished Mama June from Not to Hot.  #noregrets.

Reading
Watch Me Disappear by Janelle Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment