Monday, November 8, 2021

Weekly Round Up Part 1 of 2: a new lunch and a race

 

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.

Eats

My latest favorite lunch falls into the category of "a bunch of things in a bowl that can't possibly taste good together".  Roasted sweet potatoes + Costco stir fry veggies drizzled with soy sauce and samba oelek topped with two drippy eggs and fried onions.  It's a wow.


I'm not bragging about our dinners this week.  I was fresh out of ideas.

Monday: Costco orange chicken


Tuesday: repeat of last week's quickie dinner triumph: Hunger Thirst Play's Instant Pot Copycat Chipotle Chicken.

Wednesday: grilled cheese and soup


Thursday: crispy chicken (straight from the freezer to the air fryer), rice, and veg.


Friday: TGIF - no more meal planning!  Mandatory pizza night.

Saturday: mandatory burger night

Sunday: back to cooking.  I've been thinking about Pinch of Yum's tortellini soup for a while now and finally made it happen.  With leftovers to carry us through to into next week.

 

We had a good supply of "banana bread ready" bananas so I whipped up a batch of banana bread chocolate chip muffins for snacks on Sunday.


Workouts

I worked through the rest of my half marathon hangover this week.

Monday: 3 treadmill miles first thing in the morning, strength at night

Tuesday: 3 treadmill miles

Wednesday: off!

Thursday: 4 treadmill miles, strength at night

Friday: 5 glorious outdoor miles

Saturday: off!

Sunday: 10k.  The race was just OK - nothing bad but nothing good.  I drank nearly my entire water bottle in addition to a bottle of UCAN/Nuun (my prerace "go juice") on the drive down and I still felt thirsty at the race start, so I think that I was probably dehydrated and that killed my energy and left me on the slower side.  For both of my recent half marathons I had a glass of Skratch the night before which I felt seemed to help, so I'll do that the night before my next few races.  But it was fun to be there and the race shirt was really good.

Up next: a 5 mile race next Sunday!

Watching 

Sooo many AFI movies...separate post coming later this week.

Reading 

Still working on The Last Mrs. Parrish.  I was sailing along contentedly through it and then WHAM half way through it takes one heck of a turn that I Did Not See Coming and now I can't wait to Find Out What Happens Next.


4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 10k, Birchie! I use some of my races just to get a fun training session. It forces me to push myself which I would probably not do when I'm running alone.
    I wonder why you were so thirsty? At least you know what to do about it. Those banana muffins make for great post-race fuel.

    Have great fun with your 5 mile (what an odd distance) race next Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5 miles is an odd distance for sure. But right now I just want to run All The Races so I will take it. There's another 5 mile race next month as well.

      Delete
  2. I brought home my post-race banana from Sunday...and it’s still sitting (lying?) on the counter. Maybe I’ll follow your lead and whip up a very small batch of muffins (I might add some raspberries or blueberries to the batter). I hope the next race feels better for you ...that is odd on the thirst. You weren’t in Vegas we’re you? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, not in Vegas. All of the bananas at the race were at banana bread stage. I've been to a few races where all of the bananas were green - it's tough to get bananas at the right time.

      Delete