Monday, November 1, 2021

Weekly Round Up Part 1 of 2: a bunch of new recipes!

 

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  I watched a ton of AFI Top 100 movies this week, which will get their own post tomorrow.  When I wasn't parked in front of the TV I managed to try several new recipes and got back to the run.

Eats

For lunches this week I made Fannetastic Food Zesty Italian Pasta Salad.  (with store bought dressing since the garden isn't in season right now for all of the herbs).  It was good but I ended up wishing that I'd just made a half batch since I'm the only one in my house who eats pasta salad and 8 servings of anything is too much of a good thing.

On the dinner front our week started with hubs making macaroni and cheese for him and the boys since I had an appointment on Monday evening. When I got back I finished the last serving of ravioli from the night before.


Tuesday: Costco spaetzle and chicken sausage.


Wednesday: 

🚨🚨🚨GOOD DINNER ALERT🚨🚨🚨GOOD DINNER ALERT🚨🚨🚨GOOD DINNER ALERT🚨🚨🚨

I was fresh out of ideas and was about to suggest a Chipotle night but something made me want to dig a little deeper and cook something...what to do...what to do...something put the idea of chicken burritos in my head and I found myself heading for the Instant Pot and our freezer stash of chicken breasts.  I looked at a bunch of copy cat Chipotle recipes and chose Hunger Thirst Play's Instant Pot Copycat Chipotle Chicken.  I didn't have any onion so I dumped in a ton of onion powder and I left the chipotles and adobo sauce out for the tender palates in my family (everyone else but me) and spooned in some adobo seasoning instead.

When the chicken came out of the Instant Pot I did a taste test and it was pretty dry and nothing special.  Oh well, we miss 100% of the shots we never take BUT once the chicken went into the burritos it transformed into something extraordinary.  I gave the kids plain chicken, rice, and cheese in their burritos.  For the adults I added in Trader Joe's fire roasted pepper and onion mix and sour cream, and of course I loaded up mine with a bunch of salsa.  This is going to be a repeat dinner for us.

Thursday: Skinny Taste Drunken Style Noodles caught my eye.  I still hadn't made it to the grocery store so that meant tofu instead of shrimp.

 

Friday: was a single girl night.  I'd seen a pizza dough recipe made out of flour and yogurt which was so weird that I needed to try it.  Here's the YouTube video.

The result of this craziness was a very good pizza, though the dough was very hard to work with.  I will try it again sometime.

Saturday: Hubs and I went out to the drive in hamburger place.

Sunday: Stepson #1 was out trick or treating, and stepson #2 went out with his friends for some Halloween hijinks.  The adults were home alone and as luck would have it, we had two pieces of lasagna in the freezer.  It may not look like anything special, but it was delicious. We traded off bites of dinner with passing out candy.

Workouts

I took three full days off after last week's half.  When I got back to it I had one treadmill run, one short outside run, and then on Saturday I went out and explored.  I ended up on a serious trail.  It was beautiful, but it was the kind of terrain where I had to stare at the ground at all times and was very afraid of falling or tripping.  That's a one and done on the trail running.  I think the half is now out of my system so I'll get back to full swing on the workouts next week.

The 10k that I was planning to run next weekend was cancelled due to low participation, so I was torn between another 10k on the same day or a 5 miler the next weekend.  I took the easy way out - I signed up for both races!  And another 5k on Thanksgiving weekend while I was at it since it was only $15.  My husband teased me that I was just doing it for the t shirts.  Maybe so, maybe so.

Watching

A bunch more AFI movies, which I'll talk about in a separate post tomorrow.  Hubs and I got caught up on What We Do in the Shadows.

Reading

The Last Mrs. Parrish, which is a book that I've been hearing about FOREVER and just never got around to until now.  It's light and beachy.


4 comments:

  1. I love that the chicken burritos turned into a tasty surprise:-) I used to keep frozen ravioli on hand, but it ran out & I never think of it when I’m in the store. At least I always have frozen meatballs...they got diced & chopped and wound up in some spontaneous chili recently LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pizza dough recipe made with yogurt? That sounds interesting and looks delicious. I'll need to have a closer look at that.
    You signed up for both races! Yes, Birchie! I always say that races are the best way to train and keep in shape. Nice!
    Hopefully, the t-shirts will be worth it, too. :-)

    I read "We were never here" by Andrea Bartz (suggested by Wendy). I couldn't put it down! Full of suspense, a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dough was really good. It was just hard to roll out but I want to try it again with a little more flour.

      Thanks for the rec on We Were Never Here - it's going on the TBR.

      Delete