Monday, October 3, 2022

Weekly Round Up: Seasonal

 

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  Our food this week was a mix of seasonal fare and old favorites.

Eats, Seasonal

The boys had food duty for Boy Scout camp last weekend, which means that they brought home all of the leftover ingredients.  Assorted condiments, half a bag of cheese, and a bag of apples.

The condiments will get used in due course, the cheese is long gone, and I dropped everything to put the apples into a nice big batch of apple crisp.  I feel like the recipe that I used was nothing special/a bit heavy of the cinnamon so I won't share it but the hubs and I tore into it like nobody's business and it hit the spot.  I think that what I really want is more of an apple crisp bar so I just need to remember that for the next time I have an apple dessert craving.

The other seasonal treat that I helped myself to was my annual bottle of Pumpking.  I'm not the biggest fan of pumpkin beers in general but this is an exception.  The only thing is that I really do just want one of these and not a pack so Trader Joe's policy of selling individual beers is much appreciated in this situation.

I keep seeing everyone on the internets making soup so I got in on the game.  The goal was to make soup, any soup.  I went with a baked potato soup that I made on Sunday afternoon and had a little taste before packing it up for next week's lunches.  I think it's a bit thick for my liking, so again I'll hold the recipe source and I'll thin it out when I reheat it.


Eats, Old Favorites

For lunches I went on a soy curl salad wrap spree.  I started with a buffalo ranch salad mix and once that was gone I made a batch of Cheap Lazy Vegan's Caesar dressing.  The only thing was that I didn't have any lemon juice so I used just a touch more vinegar plus water to make up the difference and it turned out fine.

 

When my turn to make dinner rolled around, I got a flank steak and portobello mushrooms for the hubs to grill while I made mashed potatoes.

 

We had mandatory burger night on Saturday for the first time in forever.  I'm not sure how burgers fell off our weekly menu, maybe because we were on a spree of Friday nights at the drive in burger place?  It's a mystery but they're back now baby.


On Sunday we had a situation where four people were getting home at four different times, so I made up a big pot of barbacoa beef and cilantro lime rice.  The family made it up into burritos and I did a burrito bowl.  Pictured: the rice, the beef, roasted sweet potatoes, coleslaw mix, and guac.


And finally, for breakfast on Sunday I had a really old favorite, so old that I don't believe that I've had it since my single girl days: a Trader Joe's almond croissant.  I made a point of doing my workout first thing and then letting this bake up while I had my shower afterwards and it was incredibly satisfying.  This is one that you really have to plan ahead for because you have to take the dough out to rise overnight.


Workouts

I'm headed into week 6 of 6 of Caroline Girvan's Iron series.  Yes on the one hand I want to get done so that I can then start working on every other series that she's ever done but on the other hand I will be sad to see the end of it.

Last week I skipped Sunday's workout because I was traveling, but then I realized that instead of skipping I should have just done the workout the next day instead of "it's Monday so I have to do Monday's workout".  On Friday I doubled up and did the scheduled full body workout and then followed it up with Sunday's missed workout in place of the cardio finisher that I usually do so I am now caught up and on track to get the complete Iron experience.

My tentative plan once I finish is to take a few days off and then do the two week Beastmode series (yes I'm picking programs based on their names, that's how you're supposed to do it right?????), maybe pick up a few of the one week long series after that, and then do a longer program.  I've picked up that the Girvanators are in a bit of an uproar since it's been a while since she's posted any new workouts, and I'm just like "it's all good, stay on your break, I've got two years worth of backlog to get through".

Watching

I finished season 1 of Hatufim (the Israeli show that was the basis for Homeland) and OMG that was one hella cliffhanger at the end.  I think it's a guarantee that anyone who has seen season 1 is signing up to watch season 2.

Reading

I feel like I've written these exact words before but I'll write them again: there is nothing like a simple little thriller to get your reading mojo back.  I'd been in a slump for a few weeks when Stay Awake by Megan Goldin came up on my radar and by page 2 my slump was over.  Liv is a writer in New York who finds herself in a taxi one night with no memory of how she got there.  The taxi drops her off at her apartment but there are other people living there.  She reaches into her pocket for her phone and finds a bloody knife...

It's not always so simple to find the perfect simple little thriller but once I've got it it's like finding the perfect little black dress.  Right now I'm just reading a chapter or two a night to make it last but I feel like I'm going to get to the point where I'll get hooked and binge the rest down in one huge gulp.

Your turn: tell me about all of the seasonal goodies that you're enjoying right now!  And of course everything else that's going on in your world.

 



18 comments:

  1. BEASTMODE!!!
    That Caesar dressing is so good and I am ever so grateful you had linked to it. I have used it almost weekly since then! It's great with kale.
    Seasonal goodies: APPLES! I have been enjoying Mac apples which are back and often don't last, it seems, with other, newer varieties of apples. Macs are my favourite because I'm old school like that. Also enjoying pears. I'm not a pumpkin spice person, but I do like seeing everyone else enjoy their PSL and whatnot.
    I'm not usually a thriller reader, but that book looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that apple varieties come and go. It's been a long time since I've seen Braeburn apples at the store for example. Over time I've learned not to be picky what kind of apples I use for baking but I'm very picky about what kind of apples I snack on. Pink lady is my all time favorite.

      I don't have salad very often but once I make a batch of that dressing it's like I have to keep going for 2-3 batches worth of dressing before I move on to something new. I really have an itch for Caesar dressing.

      Delete
  2. I made apple crisp to take over to a friend's house on Saturday! Unfortunately, I didn't get to actually eat any, so I think I'm going to go to the Farmers' Market in the next town over tonight to get some more apples and make some for myself. We also have some butternut squash soup on the menu for later this week. I'm pumped for fall foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not fair that you didn't get to have any! Yes please treat yourself to a batch. Yum of the butternut squash soup.

      Delete
  3. Oh, apple crisp, yum! Need to make that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you're doing the 5 workouts a week for the Iron series? I'm just doing one every other day (so last week I ended up doing 4, this week will probably be 3.) Good to know you still love her so much now you're at the end! And good to know there are more series to try- I can't wait to hear about "Beastmode."
    Hmm. I always think I want a pumpkin beer, but then never really like them. But, maybe I'll like this one! I need a trip to Trader Joes so I'll see if I can get it. I've been making lots of pumpkin meals (oatmeal, waffles, pasta dishes) but I need to get moving on the apples- maybe I'll make an apple crisp this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, 5 a week and the only reason that I can do that is because I'm not running. If I was running I'd probably only be doing her full body workouts twice a week because it's hard for me to keep track of upper body/lower body splits.

      I agree 100% on pumpkin beer. Most of them taste like beer and cinnamon, which are two great tastes that do NOT taste great together IMO. Pumpking gets it right but even so one a year is my limit. It's sold pretty much everywhere here but TJs in the only place that I know where I can just get one bottle.

      Delete
  5. That burger looks SO good. This has nothing to do with fall but I made a pan of chocolate zucchini bread and it smells really good.

    I put a hold on Stay Awake. It sounds great! I just listened to Behind Closed Doors by BA Paris. I could not stop listening to it. It was riveting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Burgers and chocolate zucchini bread are always in season!

      I read Behind Closed Doors a few years ago and still remember it fondly. It's definitely a LBD thriller. The last line in particular still sticks in my mind. I was reading it on the kindle and couldn't tell that it was the last page so that gave me an extra "whoa" when I clicked forward and saw that it was the end.

      Delete
  6. I had a look at one of Caroline's workouts - one where she puts 30kg on her hips for glute bridges.That's tough!! I like her energy and positive vibes.
    Pamela Reif has a similar workout but she only uses 16kg, which is more doable for me.
    Apparently, Caroline (2m subscribers) is a "copy" of Pamela Reif (9m). And true enough, both are very similar. It will be interesting to see if Caroline will outdo Pam one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A frequent comment that I see about Caroline is that most people try to lift in pounds what she lifts in kg's. There are a few videos where she uses 2 x 30 kg dumbbells which has got to be close to 100% of her body weight. It's mind boggling.

      I've got Pamela bookmarked to check out someday. I took a peek and yes it's the same format but it looks like she skews toward shorter videos which is a plus for anyone who's trying to combine lifting and running.

      Delete
  7. Sorry for the very delayed read/comment. As always, your food pics have me salivating. I made salsa, a month ago (?), and that's been it for "seasonal" fare. I've been eating apples, but have not had the time to crank out an apple crisp creation (but now I've been inspired, so thanks!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to come over to your house for chips and homemade salsa! I'll bring the apple crisp!

      Delete
  8. Good food, good books, good workouts... sounds like a pretty on-point (I couldn't use 'good' again, I just couldn't...) week. I envy your commitment to strength training! Go, you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are coming together! Strength was so boring before I found the Caroline Girvan workouts, so that's helping a lot with the motivation.

      Delete
  9. This all sounds very delicious. I can't wait for soup season... it's still a bit too hot for it over here, but we'll probably be living off soups this winter.
    I also forgot about the almond croissants - they're pretty good!

    ReplyDelete