Monday, October 17, 2022

Weekly Round Up: A Tale of Two Soups

 

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  In this week's edition I made two soups with two different results and saw two 70s movies, also with different results.

Picture above c/o a weekend outing.  I'm soaking in the fall colors and being outside as long as I can.

Eats

I'm still obsessed with potatoes and eggs for breakfast.  I've taken to cooking the eggs in Trader Joe's crunchy chili and onions for a little extra pep.

On the lunch front I had a miss and a hit.

The miss was beer cheese soup.  I like the concept of cooking with beer, but I also have a cheap streak and hate to "waste" a beer in cooking.  Luckily one of the dads in our Boy Scout trip works for a beer distributor, and he's passed on some extras so we have a good supply of "cooking" beer.

When I cook with wine, I always assume that any wine is as good as another so I took the same approach with beer.

Let me tell you that whatever kind of beer is meant to go in beer cheese soup that triple IPA is not it.  Fortunately I only made half of the recipe so I only had two servings, and I ate them both because I'm stubborn and also because I was oddly fascinated by how bad this was.

Now let's talk about a hit!  I came across a recipe for kimchi jigae (a Korean soup).  There were a few things about the recipe that I couldn't figure out on paper.

  • The quantities didn't make sense.  Three servings of soup from 0.4 pounds of meat (a lot),  3/4 cup of kimchi (a lot), TWO mushrooms, and ONE cup of water????
  • An unfamiliar ingredient.  Idk what pork belly is but in the pictures it sure looks like bacon.  One of the comments said that pork belly is hard to come by where they live so they use 2 slices of thick cut bacon which can't be 0.4 pounds but that made a lot more sense.

In the end I couldn't stop thinking about the soup and the reviews were so positive that I felt like I needed to try it once.  If you've already had one soup fail why not make it two?

I used two slices of bacon and a handful of mushrooms.  I didn't bother to stir fry the kimchi since I didn't see the point.  I did everything else pretty much as written.

Result: I failed to fail!  The soup is delicious, though in my eyes it's two servings and not three.  If I make this again I'd add a bit more water to get more broth but no harm no foul.


Workouts

I started the week with a planned 3 days of rest.  I didn't really feel like I needed it but I'd been hearing a lot of chatter about deload weeks.

On reflection now that I've gotten the rest and gotten back to working out==>meh.  It was nice to sleep in, but I don't feel like I needed the break.  Going forward I won't take time off until the next time that I feel like it instead of at the end of a program.  I got major DOMS from the first workout that I did which I attribute mostly to the time off.

My plan was to start a two week workout series called Beastmode but my schedule is a bit choppy next week so I decided to do the one week Pyramid series instead, fill up the rest of next week with some one-off workouts, and then I'll tackle Beastmode once things return to normal.  (P.S. here is a nice summary of the different Caroline Girvan programs and links to their playlists). 

As you might suspect, Pyramid is ascending and descending time based intervals.  The first two workouts are 20 seconds-40 seconds-one minute-40 seconds-20 seconds with 20 seconds breaks in between==>move on to a new exercise with the same pattern.  The third workout mixed it up with 30 seconds-45 seconds-one minute and that's as far as I've gotten as of this writing.  The workouts are in the 40-45 minute range. 

Review so far: I like it BUT man each pyramid feels like it takes a really long time.  One thing that I liked about the Iron series was that there was so much variety in the workout structure from day to day so three straight days of the same format has me yawning a bit.  Only two workouts to go: a full body which I'm sure that I'll like and a HIIT workout that I'm looking forward to since I haven't done any HIIT with Caroline yet and I have no idea of what to expect.

Watching

In case you're wondering==>the way that I pick a lot of the movies that I watch is from a podcast called Unspooled.  Without that context (OK, OK, maybe even with that context) my choices and pairings must seem totally bonkers.  I took a trip to the 70s to see a very famous movie that I'd never seen before (and wasn't sure that I wanted to see) and a very famous movie that I saw one billion times back in the early 80s (grade school) that I had no memory of.

First up: the famous movie that I had never seen and wasn't sure that I wanted to. I didn't see any good short recaps on Youtube and I don't like the trailer so I'll give you a hint with this picture that I took in 2013 at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens.  No it's not Blade Runner, it's what's on the right.

Yes friends, I saw The Exorcist!  When I was a kid I heard mumblings that this was a horrible, terrifying, awful movie and recently I've heard some mumblings that this might not be the case.  

Rumors confirmed!  I'm glad that I saw this in the bright afternoon sunlight at home instead of in a theater in 1973, but it was a good movie that I enjoyed.

The only other experience that I've had with this movie is that a really long time ago when I was in D.C. I climbed the stairs but I didn't have the context to know what they were besides a really long flight of stairs called "the Exorcist Stairs".  I haven't been to D.C. in a long time and don't have any plans to go, but if I do I will have a dilemna...on the one hand I feel like I would love to go back and walk around the neighborhood BUT I also feel like it would creep me out to climb the stairs now.  For sure I think that I would need to climb up them rather than down them.

Second up: the famous movie that I saw literally one billion times as a child.  Ooh what luck that I have a random picture from the same 2013 NYC trip:

It's a bird it's a plane it's Superman.

I remember that I loved the Superman movies when I was a kid but my memory has been wiped so it was something of a fresh look.  My thoughts are:

  • I have vivid memories of Clark Kent in the phone booth transitioning into Superman, but it never happens in this movie.  On his first transition, he sees a phone kiosk (not a booth) on the street and looks at it quizzically and then runs through a revolving door in a nearby building to do his magic.
  • The movie has so much fun with Clark vs Superman and those scenes are a joy to watch.
  • Whaaa...no one told me that Marlon Brando or Gene Hackman plus several other more obscure cast surprises were in this movie (P.S. I can't stand Brando but I kind of appreciate the way he handled his role).
  • As for the rest sorry to say that I enjoyed this movie every bit as much as I enjoy the D.C. and Marvel action franchises of today, which is to say that I would have enjoyed it more if I'd seen it with my family.  On my own it was a very looooooong and draggy 2 hours and 20 minutes.  I watched this in bits and pieces over the course of the week and it felt like to took forever.

Reading

Yay another hit!  The Love of My Life by Rosie Walsh was described as a thriller, but unless I'm missing something it's more of a literary mystery.  Emma is a semi famous marine biologist and her husband Leo is an obituary writer.  In the obit business, it's standard to have pre-written obits on file and Emma is just famous enough/dealing with cancer, so Leo's office is working on her pre-write.  The only problem is that once Leo starts putting pen to paper, he realizes that there is a lot that he doesn't know about his wife of 10 years and oops a lot of it doesn't add up.  IRL if I was in Leo's situation I'd sit my husband down and say "dude what's up with x,y, and z?" but that wouldn't make for much of a book so Leo takes the opposite approach and starts trying to figure it out behind Emma's back.

20 comments:

  1. I've done two Caroline Garvin HIIT workouts and they involved A LOT of burpees. I found it too hardcore for me and it moved really quickly and I think I hurt my wrist. I am not a thumbs down to CG and am scared to try more.

    The colors here are so lovely right now. Unfortunately, there were also snowflakes this morning, so that's a big bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, we're supposed to get our first snow tonight. Boo!!!!

      We'll compare notes after I've tried the HIIT.

      Delete
  2. I remember going to see Superman with my dad and my brother when I was a kid. I found it boring at the time because I only really liked animated movies or movies about girls. Also! I saw the Exorcist at a sleepover party and I'm just not, nor have I ever been, a fan of horror. All I remember is the scene with the cross. I don't even remember the barfing!
    I haven't cooked with beer except for Guinness baked beans, and I agree - I don't think you could make that with a different kind of beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By any chance were you a She-ra fan? That was my jam! I think that I liked Superman because he could fly.

      I don't like horror when it's super gory or when it's so suspenseful that it ends up being an adrenaline sapper. The Exorcist struck a nice balance for me with not being too extreme. I didn't know the story at all so everything was a surprise but it was never too intense. It would have been a lot to watch it at a sleepover though.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the summaries of the CG programs. I know I'm not following her program exactly- i'm doing 3 workouts a week instead of 5- but the Iron Series is really working great for me. I like how it doesn't have any HIIT workouts, since I'm also running. But I might try a program with HIIT at some point. You'll have to let us know how you like it.
    I've never seen The Exorcist- somehow, "scary" movies don't do anything for me. They just seem silly. And I just had a huge trip down memory lane- when I was thinking about Superman I ended up goggling Christopher Reeve- He was amazing! I loved him in Deathtrap. Oh, and I've read several reviews of that book- it sounds really good. I like "literary mysteries" more than thrillers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I think I need to watch Deathtrap. That sounds right up my alley.

      Idk at all what to expect from HIIT. I've heard a lot of runners say that they do the programs slower just like you do, or that they skip the HIIT workouts.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'll need to have a look at Caroline's Pyramid thingy.
    I really like her 5-minute push-up challenge. It's short and hard! I don't mind the repetitiveness of this challenge. I like it because it helps to see some progress (in theory, that is, because I'm not making any measurable push-up progress yet...)
    Fully agree about the breaks - maybe make a few days lighter, but complete breaks usually backfire for me, too.

    Love that autumn photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops I had forgotten about the pushup video even though I thought it was the greatest thing ever last week. Thanks for the reminder and note to self: just do it already!!!

      Delete
  5. I had never seen that page of all of Caroline's programs. Interesting! I have never followed any of the series. I usually just hop on YouTube and look for something that is less than 30 mins and usually says "no repeats" haha! I get bored with repetitive movements. I did a 20 min full body workout of hers today which was published just recently (I could tell by those flappy shorts!). I really love how her videos are such good quality with the countdown timers and progress meters and "up next" window. They really have had great improvements from her early videos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it. I wouldn't be following a program either if I was still running. As it is, the structure of working toward something for a few weeks reminds me a little bit of training for races. I'm going to be doing the newest workout later this week!

      Delete
  6. You just reminded me that I haven done a true HIIT workout since...??? (see, I don't even know how long it's been, LOL). That said, I have brought back the stair workouts (which are kind of like a HIIT workout with all the ups & downs on the stairway) and I'll be happily climbing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your stair workouts totally count as HIIT! I did the HIIT workout this morning and really liked it.

      Delete
  7. Hooray for fall foliage and breakfast potatoes! I love your description of re-watching Superman. I remember watching those movies, probably broadcast on TV and then recorded on the family VCR. So nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny that there are moments from those movies that are burned into my brain (like the phone booth scene) and the rest has been totally wiped. I guess the brain has a limit on the amount of stuff that it can hold on to.

      Delete
  8. Hm. Not sure I'm going to try the kimchi soup, sad to say. It just doesn't appeal for some reason. I'm glad you enjoyed it! (I'm wondering - was the developer thinking of BIG mushrooms, maybe??)
    And I disliked Superman even back in the 80s! Not so much a comic book fan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there must be a size difference with the mushrooms. But who knows. It was a perfectly nice soup, but not earth shattering.

      Delete
  9. Pork Belly is basically just "fresh" bacon - before it is cured. Quite common in German cooking. It's very good. The serving sizes for the soup did sound off though - 3 servings from a cup of water? HOW?

    Thanks for the suggestion on how to use the onion chili crunch from TJs - I was tempted to buy it but didn't know what to use it with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah good to know! My top two uses for the onion chili crunch are eggs and to cook gyoza in. And to dip the occassionaly potato chip in when I'm wandering through the kitchen looking for a snack.

      Delete
  10. DOMS is the worst after you've been away from working out! It's good you are finding things you like. And wow- that is a gorgeous photo of the water and trees. I didn't realize you were such a talented photographer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is a talented photographer with this gorgeous fall that we've had;-) It was way better in person.

      Delete