Monday, January 30, 2023

Weekly Roundup: Winter Adventures

 

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  I didn't do anything fancy on the food front this week, and there's nothing for workouts/TV/books that's urgent to tell you because they will still be relevant for next week's round up.  So let's skip our normally scheduled programming and I'll tell you the story of how I got out of the house this weekend and went on an adventure. 

P.S. I promised that I'd do an update about the diet thing in early February and it's getting to be early February...look for a separate post about that in a few days.

Operation Get Me Out of the House

Over the past few years, Boy Scouts has gone from being important to pretty much #1 on our family's priority list.  This is going to continue for a few more years, and while it's great for my husband and the boys, the life of a Boy Scout Widow can leave something to be desired.  A summary of how I spent my free time in 2021 is that I sat around the house.  All work and no play was making me a very dull girl, but what was the solution?  I thought about travel, but it's expensive and exhausting.  I don't mind so much if a flight gets delayed and I have to spend the day at an airport when I'm with my family, but things like that are downright no fun when I'm on my own.  Also the goal isn't to spend less time with the fam.  But what if there was a way to go to new places without being away from home for very long?  Aha, there is and it's called local tourism.   Last summer I started making day trips to area attractions and I found that (1) it's the perfect hobby to keep me occupied and (2) hello I thought that I lived in the most boring place on earth and there's hella lot to do here!  The last six months have been incredibly rewarding in ways that I never imagined.

I wound down Operation Get Me Out of the House around Thanksgiving because of holiday stuff, things being closed in winter, and crappy weather.  I figured I'd be hunkered down at home until March with maybe a museum visit here and there.  Then out of nowhere I started hearing about things that are still open this time of year.  Specifically there is a Frank Lloyd Wright house about three hours away that does tours.  That got my attention because I went to a FLW house last year and it was mind blowingly awesome but I'd assumed that it was the only one in my area.  Well, not so fast, I now know that there are FLW buildings that offer public tours in 22 states, which is why I'm mentioning it.  I wanted to go but three hours is a bit of a hike so I needed something else to make it worth the trip.  Facebook's spies were listening, because an ad for a cave tour close by popped up in my feed.  Guess what, I got a taste of Cave Life over the summer so I was interested in seeing more and the nice thing about caves is that they are the same temperature year round.  The FLW tour was at a specific time and the caves tours were every half hour depending on how many people showed up, so it was a good pairing of having to be at one place at a specific time and the other place whenever.

Well wouldn't you know that the weather forecast was clear, we didn't have the boys, and the hubs wanted to stay home and chill.  I was cleared for an adventure day!  Here's how Saturday went down:

7 AM: wheels up with a cup of coffee and breakfast of fruit, string cheese, and a Clif bar for the road.

10 AM: I arrive at my destination as planned.  The FLW tour was at 11 and I had a plan for what to do if I arrived early.  There was a rock garden about 10 minutes away, so it was an easy way to fill in the time.  The nice thing about rock gardens is that they're pretty much the same year round.

11 AM: Tour time!  I didn't and still don't know much about FLW but being in one of his houses is a unique experience and I recommend it if you ever have the opportunity.  The best way that I can describe it is that you is that you get to be inside a work of art - I didn't say that you get to see a work or art, I said you get to be inside of it.

1 PM: tour is done and I'm starving.  I go back and forth on travel food.  Obviously it's cheap, easy, and fast to just bring something from home so that's what I do 99% percent of the time but this was an exception.  Travel reviews of the area were singing the praises of a Ramen restaurant so I hit it up for my first ever Fancy Ramen Dining Experience.  I got a Thai curry and it was so good that obviously I ate every bite.

Verdict: yes it was good but the downside of going to the Hottest Ramen Restaurant in Town is that it took a full hour to get in and out which made a long day even longer.  I think that eating out on the road will continue to be a 1% of the time thing and I'll save it for shorter trips.

2 PM: back on the road, get to the cave just in time for the next tour.  Stalactites and stalagmites and oh my!  Last summer I toured a small cave but this place was huge and may I just say that in the cave world bigger is much better.

4 PM: head home.  That's when it starts to hit that it's been a long day.  Three hours isn't so long on the way out but it always drags on the way back.

7 PM: home!  I grab a snack and an adult beverage and snuggle up next to hubs on the couch.  He's had a low key day with a mix of stuff that he needed to do and stuff that he wanted to do, so we've both had a good day.  

What's Next for Operation Get Me Out of the House

It was nice while it lasted but it looks like the weather is turning bad so I'll probably be at home next weekend.  Once it clears up I've got my eye on a Big City museum spree for three near-ish towns (none of them more than 2 hours away).

Your turn: ever done anything like this?  Ever been to a FLW house?  Or toured a cave?


21 comments:

  1. I love that you're touring your neighbourhood!
    I just googled all the FLW houses. If I lived in the US, I would make it my mission to tour every single one. I've only been to the Guggenheim Museum. I had no idea that there were other houses you could tour.
    Did you go to the one that used to be his first home when he was freshly married?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I are on the same track - I'm considering a trip to CHI/Wisconsin just to tour all of the houses that he has in that area.

      I haven't been to his personal home but of course I'd love to. Seeing what he did for his clients I can only imagine what he did for himself.

      Delete
  2. Birchy, this is SO COOL. The caves! The adventure! I am so inspired by you - there is so much to do in our own backyards. What a great post. I absolutely loved reading this and now I am inspired to do some of my own local touring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much great stuff out there! I feel like every place I go I end up hearing about 10 more things to do so my list is getting exponentially longer.

      Delete
  3. This sounds so, so fun. I love doing things like this- setting off for a mini-adventure by myself. I've never done a tour of a FLW house, although there was one near the town where I grew up (well, there was a FLW house, not sure if they offered tours.) I'll look into it now and try to do one. And, the cave! That is cool- I've never been inside a cave. I can see how the drive back wasn't quite as much fun as the drive there, but overall it sounds like a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an idea! Go visit your sister and do an FLW tour blitz! There are so many of his houses up in IL/WI.

      Delete
  4. My mom is obsessed with caves, so I've been to many. I mean, all of these caves have tours, my mom is not dragging her sixtysomething body spelunking or anything. I'm also in the heart of FLWmania, so I've been to a couple of those tours, as well. I don't know if I'd love to go do these things on my own, though. I think part of the joy of doing these things is going with other people. I do think it's fun that you do these little field trips, though. Your stories are probably more exciting than the Boy Scouts "we saw more trees" stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with your mom - no spelunking! A nice leisurely walk while someone knowledgeable points out all of the things is my style.

      It's a trade off on doing these things with fam or alone. When I'm by myself I'm free to spend as much or as little time as I want, or to put myself through 12 hour adventures without worrying that I'm making someone else tired. Also the fam is tied up with boy scouts so if I'm waiting for them I'd never go. But it's also fun when they can get away and we do things together.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a really fun adventure! Except for the caves -- they creep me out. But you do you! ;-) Your mention of FLW homes seeming like you are walking through art is very appealing. Turns out, there is an FLW home very near my house! I wonder if I should go check it out. The photos online don't make it seem like anything super special, but maybe you have to experience it in person to get the full effect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't explain the appeal of the cave. I am a bit claustrophobic so in theory going 100 ft underground, walking through a few narrow passages, and having them turn the lights out at one point just to prove that there's no natural light...I mean that SHOULD creep me out but for some reason I found it peaceful. So who knows?

      If I lived near an FLW house I'd go there in a heartbeat! The two that I've seen were awesome and I'm hoping to add many more to the collection. I never really got the appeal until I visited one in person.

      Delete
  6. This is an awesome adventure! The civic center from my hometown (Marin) is a FLW building - I would love to tour more. I also totally agree that 3 hours out is a full-of-energy drive, but 3 hours home must have felt a bit long. Well done on getting out and touristing in your own neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great day trip, Birchie! I'd totally do a trip like that - I actually enjoy traveling alone, doing whatever I want to do without having to consider other people. I am so glad you're doing these trips.... you get to see some cool stuff. I love caves like that... I've been to a few in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the thing==>I do love shared experiences but when I've done these trips with my family sometimes I feel like I'm kind of pushing them to do more than they want to take on and/or I have to cut back on things that I want to do. I like having a blend of both solo and family and friends trips.

      Delete
  8. That cave looks like a cool (no pun intended) adventure! As you know, I'm an art geek, so the FLW houses would totally be something I'd enjoy seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FLW would be right up your alley. I hope that you get the chance to tour one of his houses someday.

      Delete
  9. This is so fun. I love exploring the neigborbood and bing a tourist in your own area. We have done it last year when we moved to our new place to get to know more of our surroundings. And we did it the year the husband started his freelancing career because money was a bit tight. We explored Berlin. So fun.

    The cave looks amazing. The food too. I need to google FLW though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun is it that Berlin is your neighborhood??? That's awesome!

      Delete
  10. I would love to know which house - and CAVE - you visited! I can't quite figure it out. I can strongly recommend the house in Spring Green, WI - Taliesin, I believe it's called? And SG used to have a wonderful bookstore, which I hope is still in existence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am dying to go to Taliesin!!! Hopefully I'll be able to add it on to our next Chicago trip.

      Delete
    2. I hope you see this - check out this article in the NY Times about a BAKING WORKSHOP at Taliesin! (sorry the link is so long - it's the "gift link")...
      https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/06/travel/taliesin-frank-lloyd-wright-wisconsin-baking-class.html?unlocked_article_code=OzkqrLl2mDuusA5oeaG6dANdjOq2rfWi7CZMWs2fj_zhX6Hxk_0FNVfMsoeCfQX9nxfUWsfpIqvl5NpO2cgiqYCQKXUbW2Pcxfik_8Nd3twe4i71qYOZp_foW2h0I4owGX3ZbCqD6qXoV1uJlN6z1vfL9wK9j8ziS0ClXYWMAgTCnt3UjwcLZKfToxYwqUk77Zh6ovGVyRn5KztVErXdqf7mk6oWJWUMxmySe_F4LSzChDFYGFVR6Hup3lSHpHf5RHFSD-8gD5k67cY1oNDIVPQWS9rg5LBgaWKmPc-IAeQYllYYubXzVhZrBFeL4V8T_eczcVrKuAC8WVyV5JhAvO-ruvKUc8RMuiuPr4qoUw4Km-H6ylvinMT8qwE&smid=url-share

      Delete