Monday, April 10, 2023

Weekly Round Up: An Easter Comedy

 


A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  This week I bring you the comedy of our Easter family dinner.

Eats - Easter

We usually host our big family Easter brunch.  This year we did an Easter "brinner" on Saturday night because the other in laws had priortiy on the SILs for Sunday morning.
 
The "divide and conquer" menu:
  • ham and a double batch of mini quiches by hubs and me (sidebar: yes the link is to broccoli mini quiche - that's just a loose guide to what I do.  I use 1.5 cups of milk instead of evaporated milk and 6 slices of bacon instead of broccoli.  Apart from those two changes I follow the recipe exactly lol)
  • fruit and cheesy potato casserole by SIL#4
  • an epic spinach salad, french toast casserole, cinnamon rolls, and cottage pudding by SIL#3 (she felt like making a bunch of stuff and the rest of us said "DO IT!!!!")
The comedy part:
  • For some reason I have it in my head that quiche uses a lot of eggs, which it does not.  I got a pack of two dozen eggs from Costco...the doubled recipe uses 6 eggs.  I mean it's fine because we eat a lot of eggs in this house, but awkward to have the massive Costco packaging in the fridge.
  • For some reason hubs had it in his head that dinner was on Sunday and not Saturday, so it threw off the entire cadence of his weekend.  He was so confused!
  • For some reason hubs and I both forget that ham takes way longer than the advertised time to cook in spite of many years of Easter recaps on the blog where EVERY SINGLE YEAR THE HAM TAKES FOREVER TO COOK.  NOTE TO US: START IT AN HOUR EARLIER THAN WE THINK WE NEED TO NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhoo, we had a delightful evening with the fam.  We had a good amount of leftover quiche and of course GALLONS of ham.  On Sunday I made a half batch of this cheesy potato casserole so that we had something to round out the meal with.  We'll eat ham dinners for as long as the casserole lasts and then I'll parcel it away in the freezer and bring it back in quiche.

For me the stars of the show were the cinnamon rolls (had not had one in forever) and the spinach salad.  I'm in the process of tracking down the dressing recipe so that I can go on a spinach salad bender.


Eats - Non-Easter

 

I have not forgotten the epic Thai tofu salad that I had in Buffalo a few weeks ago.  Since I can't just hop up to Buffalo on a whim, I took a shot at recreating it at home.  

  • I googled Thai salad dressings.  Most were peanut butter based, and I knew that the salad that I'd had was not.  Fed & Fit's Thai Asian Salad Dressing seemed like it could be close, so I made a double batch.
  • I chopped up a block of tofu and marinated it in the dressing overnight and then air fried it at 360 for 20 minutes.
  • I mixed up a bunch of salad, edamame, juilenned carrot, dressing, and topped it with the tofu and some cashews (P.S. I am certain that the original used Trader Joe's Thai lime and chili cashews).
Obviously my homemade shot was nowhere close to the original but it was the next best thing.

I've been wanting to try Cheap Lazy Vegan's Teriyaki eggplant and mushroom stir fry, so that was my next project.

 

You need to know that I'm not a mushroom connoisseur.  99 times out of 100 I just use white button mushrooms, mostly because the exotic mushrooms at the regular grocery store are expensive and always look a bit suspect.  That was my original plan, but the grocery store didn't have any eggplant so used it as an excuse to hit up the Asian market.  Their 3-pack of King Oysters was about what I'd expect to spend on white button 'shrooms, so I went for it.

The recipe calls for half and eggplant and 2 King Oysters, so I decided that two small eggplant plus 3 King Oysters was a double recipe and scaled up the sauce.  I added in the remainder of a bag of frozen fried tofu and netted four servings out of it.  Thumbs up!
 
I very much liked the taste of the King Oysters.  It's a subtle, "different" kind of mushroom taste BUT once I added the sauce they're kind of like any other mushroom.  All I'm saying is that if this sounds like something you'd like to try I think that white button 'shrooms would be just as good as the Kings.

Workouts

Not a lot to say.  I blinked and suddenly I'm halfway through Iron.

Watching

I finished season 1 of The Jennifer Coolidge Show (ok, ok, fine I guess everyone else calls it The White Lotus but whatever) and put a good dent into season 2.  What can I say besides it's entertaining and all of the actors are fabulous?

Reading

I'm still tearing up the pages!  Buckle up and I'll get you up to speed:
  • I finished The 100 Years of Lenni and Margo. Similar to Crying in H Mart this is a qualified rave==>a book with two terminally ill protagonists is not a book for everyone.
    • Thing one: I started crying at the 90% mark and had a good cathartic sob afterwards.
    • Thing two: this is possibly the best book that I've read so far this year unless you make me choose between this and The Social Climber. 
  • I raided Kyria's 2022 booklist again for my next read.  I think I've heard a couple of recommendations for These Silent Woods but Kyria was the most recent.  It's about a man who lives out in the woods with his young daughter and life is great except that his nearest neighbor is always poking his nose into their business.  As he tells the story, the reader picks up that there's something going on besides that he likes living off the grid.  One day they find footprints on their property and shortly after that they end up with a house guest and I'll leave it there for you to pick up if this sounds like something you'd be interested in.  
    • Good book, definitely recommend
    • The present day part of the story "we live in the woods and it's great but whose footprints are those" was razor tight, but the flashbacks to his army life, the girl's mother, and the thing that got them into the woods kinda dragged for me and I skimmed those parts.  That's why I was able to get through the book so quickly.
  • My library hold for A Brave and Lovely Woman came in.  This is a biography of Mamah Borthwick, better known from the novel Loving Frank (aka the lady who left her husband to run off with Frank Lloyd Wright and has one heck of a story to tell).
    • Good things: that this book exists at all, since its subject is undeservedly obscure.  I love that it was written by a distant relative.
    • Bad things: it's a tall order to write a biography about an obscure subject.  There isn't very much that is known about Mamah, so all that the author can really do is to give us the timeline of her life plus FillerFacts.  For example, she got a master's degree in the 1890s and then moved to Michigan with a friend to teach for a few years.  Instead of "oooh why did she get a master's degree in the 1890's, not a lot of chicks doing that at the time, why Michigan, etc?" we get Facts about the college and the town where she lived.  Not wildly exciting stuff.
    • The thing I have beef with: in the intro the author says something like "oh it's really unfortunate that if anyone has heard of Mamah at all it's from Loving Frank".  Hi, would it be asking too much to tell us why you think this is unfortunate?  Is there something about the book that you don't like or are you just saying that it's a shame that we don't have a lot of info on someone who died over 100 years ago?
    • All of this goes to say that I didn't actually read A Brave and Lovely Woman per se.  It was too dense, so I looked at the pictures and skimmed it for details.  For example, FLW and Mamah met in 1902 and left their spouses for each other in 1909, but no one knows when they started bumping uglies...obviously this book can't tell us that either but it's got the timeline so that I can speculate, so in that sense it was a worthwhile read, er I mean a worthwhile skim.
  • I don't have another fiction book on tap for right now, but I do have another audio book going.  There are some books that as soon as I hear the title I know that I'm all in.  Currently listening to I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jeannette McCurdy.  I didn't know who she was, and her IMDB page says that she "confirmed...that she was done with acting and will now focus on writing and directing".  Based on the writing that I've heard so far WOW GOOD CHOICE!!!!  I mean, I assume that she was a good actor as well but I'm glad that she's writing and I want more.
  • Last thing to say: I added the recommendation sources for all of the books that I've read so far this year to my books page

Bye for now!  What do you call it when you just skim a book?  I can't really say that I read it but it's not really a DNF either.

26 comments:

  1. I can SO relate to your question.

    I actually hate the feeling of skimming a whole book. I do it a few times a year and always feel a bit icky after? Like I've cheated?
    I am a HUGE skimmer in everyday life. I usually read the first few chapters word-for-word, but then regularly skim descriptive passages or read in "chunks." I'll look at a whole paragraph and my eyes will dart around piecing things together in about 1/4 of the time it would have taken to read the whole thing. Funny that I don't feel like I'm cheating when I do that...but when I start spending seconds per page...then I feel weird. But so often I really do want to find out what happens or I'm only interested in a subset of the information - say, in a non-fiction read - so don't want to officially DNF it.

    I almost never have ham, and everyone is posting such delicious meal recaps from the weekend. I think I need to start an Easter tradition of cooking a ham each year! Every single food photo here looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skimming is a weird gray area: not a DNF, not a read, but there's something of value in it for us so that's why we skim. There are times when I dislike a book but I still want to see how it ended, so I'll skim but call that a DNF. Brave & Lovely was a case of wanting the info in the book but not wanting to spend weeks on end chiseling through the dense pages.

      The "dark side" of all of the ham pictures is the leftovers so you've come out ahead. The first piece of ham is delicious and everything after that is much of a muchness.

      Delete
  2. I am glad your SATURDAY dinner was so nice! LOL. My husband would have been thrown off too.

    Hmm, what do you call a book that you've done that to? I definitely would have done the same to that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wrote a "I read for fun and don't keep any stats" post and now I find myself starting to compile reading stats - and right off the bat I have a situation that doesn't fit any of the boxes;-)

      Delete
  3. Your veg food looks so good, and your time with your family sounds wonderful. It seems like you have a really great relationship with your SILs.
    I am reading the Social Climber right now, and I have just gotten to part 2, and...it's going in a direction I didn't expect! Exciting!
    I had that Jeannette McCurdy book on my TBR but then I took it off because I was feeling like I couldn't handle it. It is back on, but...can I handle it? I don't know. Time will tell. I'm about a millionth in line in the queue - I had worked my way up to 50th when I took myself off.
    These Silent Woods sounds CREEPY. I'll have to be in a scary mindspace to pick that up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband's family is amazing. Between his parents passing a few years ago and the kids getting older we don't spend as much time together as we used to, but it's always epic when we do.

      I can't count how many books that I've gotten to THE TWIST in and been like "okay, hi twist" and then you get a book like The Social Climber that does THE TWIST right and it makes it all worthwhile.

      I'm Glad My Mom Died is basically Crying in H Mart but with the mom being awful and the daughter being an up and coming TV star. It's not for everyone. I like it, but I wouldn't fret about being at the end of the line.

      Delete
  4. Your ham issue sounds like what I go through every year at Thanksgiving with my turkey. Turkey amnesia and then it takes a billion years and we're all mystified. BUT IT JUST TAKES FOREVER. The big family dinner sounds amazing though. I am also very interested in the asian salad dressing and the eggplant and mushroom stir fry (although I would do zucchini instead of eggplant).

    I am listening to Never Saw Me Coming by Vera Kurian and I wonder if you might like it? It's more straight thriller than anything else, but interesting concept and pretty fast paced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I will take the recommendation!

      The stir fry would be good with zucc and also more practical since it seems that eggplant is now too exotic for the regular grocery store.

      Delete
  5. I love ham, and I did not get together with family this Easter so I missed my yearly ham allotment! Maybe I will go and find one on sale and eat it all myself...My friend once asked me if I was a fan of pork and I said yes, I am PRO PORK and we always joke about that now. I am pro pork!

    Thanks for reading another of my recommendations! If you need more, you can look at my 2021 list https://travelspot06.blogspot.com/2021/12/best-of-2021-books.html and if you don't mind WWII books, there are two there that I really liked: The Book of Lost Names and The Rose Code (if you have not read any Kate Quinn, I also really liked The Alice Network by her). I am going to put the Social Climber on my list and will check back with you when I am done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No THANK YOU for making the book lists. That's exactly why I added the recommendation links to my reading page - so that I have a quick way to revisit and so that other folks have an easy way to get to your lists.

      Delete
    2. Also, sadly I sometimes don't remember where I got a recommendation from! So I think your idea is a good one.

      Delete
  6. You'd think that someone who writes a biography on Mamah Borthwick, they would do their best to get as much info as possible and make it as interesting as possible.
    Somebody needs to write a really GOOD biography or a CAPTIVATING novel about her.
    Wait - why can't that be you, Birchie??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, it's an academic biography and there isn't a lot of source material on Mamah. That's the problem with being an early 20th century writer and not having all of your work backed up in the cloud. I think he did as good as he could with what he had for the audience that he was writing for. We already got the novel in Loving Frank but the field is wide open for a documentary or a mini series like you suggested before!

      Delete
  7. What do you do when you just skim a book is such a hard question! I had to do that last year with a book club book and I think I just put in my spreadsheet, but the fact that I'm still thinking about it indicates I think that was a bit of a cheating decision on my part.

    My husband's family is very typical midwestern and so I have decided that I'm going to be the obnoxious person who always brings a salad to these potluck dinners/brunches and it turns out that no one wants the salad but me. Oh, well. More leftovers for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you're guaranteed that there's something at the potluck that you'll want to eat!

      Delete
  8. Well, at least your entire house didn't fill with smoke like ours did on Thanksgiving (of 2021.) Your brunch sounds amazing in spite of the snafus.
    I read this while eating my dinner of vegan cashew "chicken," the recipe I got from your blog. I probably make this once a week, and will continue to until my daughter decides she's sick of it (which is the inevitable conclusion to all my favorite dinners.) So keep those dinner recommendations coming!
    I'm about 50 pages into Everyone in my Family Has Killed Someone by Benjamin Stevenson, and so far I love it. I'll give an update when I'm a little farther into it.
    To answer your question... well, I don't know the answer. I don't think there's a good way to describe it when you've skimmed a book. Or, maybe that is the description- you skimmed it. I can see why you didn't read the whole thing word for word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it has been a good long while since we've smoked out the kitchen. We're really losing our touch. Yum on the cashew not-chicken.

      Delete
  9. Your brunch sounds amazing! I love cinnamon rolls but never make them... too much effort haha. But that photo made me want to try. Also, cheesy potato casserole? Hello food of my dreams!

    Also, I used to make that mistake with Quiche all the time. I always think it takes lots of eggs and I forget it actually takes lots of milk and a rather normal amount of eggs.

    I like your book list and linking to where you find books! interesting to follow how they travel :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes too much effort! I made a point to tell my SIL how much I loved the rolls and I'll keep dropping hints.

      Delete
  10. You've been busy in the kitchen! I cannot remember the last time (if ever?) I made a ham. I'm not a fan, but I make a mean batch of ham balls ;-) Ham balls (made from ham loaf, from our local grocery store's meat counter) and cheesy potatoes are my Christmas and Easter staples. (sorry for the very tardy reading/comment)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like the first few bites of ham but after that it gets old fast. I do like a good ham salad every once in a while.

      Delete
  11. Funny, I just read here and tried to comment and it said I couldn't sign in. I went away in a huff, and came back to copy your URL into another browser, and now I am signed in. Commenting is weird, right?

    I like your substitution of bacon for broccoli. Very wise. We have some leftover ham as well...I think tomorrow may be fritatta day, which will be vegetarian, but I can fry up some ham on the side. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sadly I'm all too familiar with the "can't sign in" glitch. If it's any comfort, there are times when I can't comment on my own blog;-)

      When in doubt, always substitute bacon for broccoli!

      Delete
  12. I really loved the White Lotus! I also love ham :) Now I'll be checking out the quiche recipe... also a huge fan of that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got 30 minutes left of the last episode...I can't wait to finish it tonight.

      Delete
  13. I confess to skimming but not usually the whole book - more like what you do, skimming parts that are too dense/not interesting/etc. :)
    As always, LOVE the recipes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete