Monday, April 17, 2023

Weekly Round Up: You Never Forget

 

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  They say that once you learn to ride a bike that you never forget, and this week I'm here to present my personal 32 year research study on that.

But first, let's talk food!

Eats

Alfalfa sprouts have been on my radar lately.  I finally remembered to get some, and then whipped up yet another batch of chickpea salad (recipe inspo here, though at this point my "recipe" is blending up a can of chickpeas with a dash of mayo, dijon onion, and pickle relish).  I put it in a wrap with avocado, pickled onion, some lettuce, and the sprouts.

Workouts

The boring update: week 4 of 6 of round 2 of Iron is done. 

The more interesting update is one that I never expected to give, which is that I am now a bicycle owner.  From the age of 16 when I started driving until now I had zero reasons to ride a bike, so I didn't.  There was that one time on vacation a few years ago where I wobbled around on a bike for a few minutes to settle an argument about whether I could theoretically ride if I had to but that's been it.  Last summer when I started doing local travel, I found places where I can't take a car but need to cover more ground than I can do by foot, so I started thinking about it.

As with all other life decisions, I waded through a mountain of information and thousand dollar price tags before finally settling on a budget model that fits in my car.  I wasn't going to buy the bike until closer to the summer, but it popped up on Amazon Warehouse for a price that I could not refuse, so I swooped it up.  "Bikie" arrived a few weeks ago.

I took Bikie out on the streets and found that yes I can still ride a bike in spite of a 32 year break.  But wow, it was so much harder that I remembered.  It was a chilly day and a 20 minute ride left me sweating profusely and my speed was 10 minute miles...yes a big improvement over walking but still...given my problems with running in the heat I wondered if I would end up with the same issues with biking.  Oh well, what did I expect from going the budget route?  It was good enough for what I needed.  The weather got miserable again and Bikie sat in the garage until this weekend.

The weather was gorgeous and on Friday night the hubs suggested getting out of the house for a biking date.

Hubs wheeled our bikes out.  "Oh wow, your tires need air" (What can I say?  I rode the crap out of my bike when I was a young 'un with zero maintenance.  I don't know about these things).

Wouldn't you know it, biking is suddenly easy again.  I don't need to huff and puff, my sweat level is down to a "glow", and my speed is magically in the 6 minute mile range without even trying (current PR 5:50!!!).  We had a nice little 6 mile biking date and the next day I took Bikie out to a state park and headed toward the nature preserve.  I put on 10 miles without even trying and got some epic bluebird photos.

I'm not sure how much biking will figure into my regular fitness routine, but the hubs and I will get out for more biking dates and I'll be putting it to good use as I roam around this summer.

Watching

I knocked back a few more episodes of The White Lotus.

For Part II of our Friday date the hubs suggested a rewatch of The Big Sleep, which had come up on his radar recently.  We'd seen it together early in our dating days, so about 10 years ago, and of course I went on a Bogie/Becall bender last fall and reread the book then as well.  It's the tantalizing combination of a great movie with a plot that has a few holes.  It comes so close to making sense and we were getting tripped up on different elements...but when we put it all together we still couldn't quite solve it.

Reading

I'm still on a roll!  I had a lot of driving time this week, which was enough to finish off an audio book and put a dent in the next one.

I finished I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jeannette McCurdy and it's still a rave.  One way to think of this book is as something of a cousin to Crying in H Mart.

  • Both books are "my mom died of cancer".
  • Both books have complicated mother/daughter relationships, it's just that H Mart mom is normal, and Glad mom is AWFUL.
  • Swap the Korean/American experience in H Mart for Hollywood childhood stardom in Glad. 
  • Both books have a food focus.  Korean food in H Mart/eating disorders in Glad.
  • Final word on Glad: I'll take the cheap shot and say that yes I'm glad her mom died.  I'm also very glad that she wrote this book and I can't wait to see what she does next.

Now let me tell you about the current audio book.  Last year I heard a rave about "that book about the thing" on  Sarah's Bookshelves podcast, which I forgot about until recently when a dim memory came surfacing back...I was meaning to comb through her archives to find it, but the stars aligned so that I didn't have to.  Engie just reviewed "that book" which I now know is Bad City: Peril and Power in the City of Angels by Paul Pringle. 

One thing about audio books is that I don't like them to be too long.  When I saw that I'm Glad My Mom Died was 6 hours, my reaction was "yes!  That's perfect!".

Bad City is 10 hours long, I'm 4 hours in, and I don't want it to end, so that's my way of telling you how I feel about this book.  It's a true story that starts at an upscale LA hotel.  The hotel manager gets a call that a guest has overdosed, and when he goes to the room to check it out, he finds a young woman passed out, drugs everywhere, and a creepy old man who doesn't want him to call an ambulance.  That's just the first few pages.

But wait there's more!  I've got a non-audio, fiction read.  Jackie and Maria: A Novel of Jackie Kennedy and Maria Callas is, duh, about Jackie Kennedy, Maria Callas, and what they had in common, which was Ari Onassis.  It's a nice juicy, gossipy novel about two people that I'm fascinated by.  I started like I always do, slow and controlled and taking my time to enjoy the story and then suddenly I gulped the final half of the book down on Sunday.

That's a wrap for this week!  Has anyone else taken a big long break from biking?

 

22 comments:

  1. I'm just not sure about that book! I want to read it/ don't want to read it, you know? Ahhhh. Maybe when my name finally comes up in the queue I'll do a quick peek inside and then decide. Eating disorders have been a bit of a trigger for me in the past BUT The Social Climber didn't give me that triggery feeling, so maybe I'm over it? Who knows! Okay, I'm going to read it. Maybe. I didn't like H Mart mostly because of the food descriptions.
    But food descriptions I love? Yours! Your sandwiches/ wraps/ everything always seems so great to me. So thanks for that!
    The Jackie and Maria book, yes yes yes. I love a juicy book and I am kind of fascinated by Jackie O too.
    Biking! I like biking but not in the city. I'm kind of worried about getting hit. My neighbour actually did get hit by a car and broke her back, so that didn't help my paranoia. But I love biking on paths and last summer my son and I biked the Legacy Trail from Canmore to Banff and back, and it was SO great. It is up there with one of the best days of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My two cents is that there is always another book so there's no need to read the one that's giving you an icky feeling. You can still lead a full and happy life without reading I'm Glad My Mom Died - I mean I was cheering when the mom died.

      Same on not wanting to ride in the city. I'll ride the quarter mile from my house to the park trail but that's going to be it for urban riding. I'm mostly biking on hike n'bike trails.

      Delete
  2. Birchie is on Bikie!! I love this!!
    I'm a big fan of the bike as a means to commute in daily life.
    In fact, I just got home from Crossfit and I went there and back on my bike. It's a 5 mile return ride, nothing huge, but SO CONVENIENT!
    In Switzerland, everyone uses the bike a lot: to get to work, to the shops, to the gym, etc. We have designated bike paths and often you are much faster on the bike that sitting in a car. And you get a workout, too!
    Well done for hitting that PR, too! You will be using it a lot this summer, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I wish we had more bike paths and bike lanes around town. We just don't...

      Delete
  3. What kind of bike did you get? I am glad you figured out it was the air! Summer riding should be okay if you are dressed right - you typically create a breeze when you ride that helps! (it's the stopping when you get hot). I took a few years off biking here and there but have almost always had one as an adult!

    Have you ever grown alfalfa sprouts at home? We did that years ago and it was fun!

    I was disappointed in the 2nd half of I'm Glad My Mom Died. I enjoyed it (and was glad she was gone too) but felt like there was something being left out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um now that you mention it, Glad could have used more of a backstory on the mom. Like how did she get the way that she was, why did her parents and husband enable her, just a few questions like that.

      It's been a long time but yes I've grown sprouts at home.

      Delete
  4. I don't own a bike now, either. Biking is having a "moment" and EVERYONE where I live seems to own and use their bikes. We tend to walk everywhere. One of the biggest hurdles is the fact we live at the top of a very steep hill. So going anywhere involves biking down a steep hill (dangerous, especially with relatively young kids), and biking back up the steep hill. We recently bought a bike rack for our car and my husband has a bike, but we need new bikes for the kids and ugh - it just feels like a lot of gear. But I also feel a bit silly to not be biking when it is so efficient and fun.
    The last time I really used a bike was, ironically, in Denmark. We visited my brother who lives there back in 2015 and biked everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hill is a deal breaker. And having to get bikes for everyone else and having to load them up in the car...I see where you're coming from.

      Delete
  5. Oh hooray for a new fun exercise option! Like you, I hadn't ridden a bike in decades (with one memorable and terrifying exception, in Copenhagen of all places), but then my family joined the hordes and bought bikes during the height of lockdown. While I feel *slightly* more comfortable on a bike now, I still feel pretty wobbly and NO WAY am I riding on a street. But it's an enjoyable way to be outside. I think we biked only a handful of times last summer so I'm hoping we can do a lot more this summer.

    Your description of Bad City is very intriguing! I need to learn more about this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard pass to biking on the roads with cars.

      Bad City continues to be amazing. I really don't want it to end.

      Delete
  6. I rode a bike when I was a child, but then not again until I went to graduate school. My husband worked at a bike shop and he got me a good deal on a delightful little guy. When we lived in Minneapolis, it was so inconvenient to drive anywhere that we mostly rode our bikes or took public transportation. I have been hit by a car, broken my hand, and had a flat tire in the middle of nowhere, but I still ride my bike, so I guess I don't know exactly what that says about me.

    Bad City was such an unexpected read! I'm not sure why I didn't see it on more best of lists last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow on being hit by a car. But if I lived somewhere with really bad traffic, I'd be more inclined to take a chance and go by bike.

      I'm in the middle of Bad City so I don't know how it turns out, but my thought is that maybe the big conspiracy kept the book off the radar. It is a gem!

      Delete
  7. Awhhhh, welcome to Bikie!!! I had a very long biking sabbatical (maybe 15 years?) from the time Gustavas joined the family until I was forced to cultivate a relationship with him following my knee incident. You know the rest of the story ;-) I am contemplating on my first 2023 outdoor ride, as I type this...still haven't decided if it's a go or not. It's (pretty) warm and (crazy) sunny, but SOOO windy....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah go away wind! I hope that you get to ride soon. I'm starting to appreciate the epic possibilities for summer on the bike. The 15 year hiatus was quite a long streak!

      Delete
  8. Ooh, a bike! I actually own two bikes, a road bike and a hybrid (on road off road) but hardly ever ride. I did ride last fall when my car was being repaired, and enjoyed it, but haven't ridden since. Maybe you'll inspire me to get my bike out again.
    Hmm, I remember Engie's review of Bad City. It sounds really good and I'm getting low on books. I'm planning to stop at the library today so maybe I'll check it out. I'm also hoping to get The Social Climber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so curious about different types of bikes now. I mean, the one that I got works for what I need and should last a long time so there's no need for me to know, I'm just curious.

      Hey theoretically if someone was RUNNING AN ULTRA THIS WEEKEND then a few bike rides in the weeks after the race would probably be a fun way to recover;-)

      Delete
  9. Bikie! (is that pronounced bikkie or bike-ee?) I love it. I have two bikes, Bertha and Bob. Bertha is a super old, probably 40 years, road bike, and only 3 of 10 gears work and she needs a brake tune up but she has gotten me back and forth to work for years. Bob is my new mountain bike, which I bought at the end of last year and he is definitely the adventurous one, and he and I have gone out on a few adventures already! I feel like a little kid when I ride him; it is so fun!

    I ride both of them on the street; where I am sometimes that means in the lane with cars, but luckily often we have a pretty good bike lane. However, sometimes you just have to stick to the shoulder/side of the road and pray that nobody hits you. I find the reward to be greater than the fear though, so I keep going out and crossing my fingers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like what you said - the price of not riding on the streets is missing out on the joy of biking.

      Delete
  10. I was just looking at sprouted lentils in the store and thinking, I wonder what I could put them on? Your chickpea salad is certainly an option! I'm planning to try a hearts-of-palm/white bean hummus-y type thing soon, and sprouts/sprouted something might be good with that, too. Hm.
    I am team stationary bike. My ancient hybrid is too heavy for me, and I don't have the oomph to get it moving (which, um, means I'm at super-increased risk of falling off...and given my history of orthopedic injuries, no thank you). But I look forward to reading about your Adventures With Bikie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how the hearts of palm turn out. I picked up a can and now I'm not sure what to do with it;-)

      Delete
    2. Good timing - I literally just made it. Here's what I did:
      Ingredients:

      1, 14 ounce can hearts of palm, drained but not rinsed
      1, 15.5 ounce can white beans, drained but not rinsed
      1 tablespoon lemon juice
      2 tablespoons olive oil
      1 tablespoon tahini
      3 cloves garlic, peeled
      1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
      Method of Preparation

      In a food processor, place all remaining ingredients. Blend until a smooth consistency is reached. Place into a serving bowl and set aside.

      The original recipe also calls for parsley; I didn't have parsley. I skipped the olive oil and added a bit more tahini (I loooove tahini).

      Here's the link to the original (they serve with roasted carrots? new to me but sounds interesting...):
      https://www.thecreativeeats.com/hearts-of-palm-and-white-bean-hummus-with-roasted-rainbow-carrots/

      Try it out! It's really, really good. I licked the spatula. :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks! Spatula lickin' good is exactly what I'm looking for!

      Delete