Monday, June 26, 2023

Weekly Round Up: Empty Nest


A weekly roundup: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  This week the hubs and I had an empty nest, I tried two new recipes, I'm considering some changes on the workout front, and I started a new TV show that's just as good as the book.

At this point it's more newsworthy when my family is home than that they're away at Boy Scout camp.  The breaking news is that we're halfway through an empty nest stretch - I've got the hubs at home and the boys are halfway through two weeks worth of local Scout camps.  The only reason that the hubs isn't with them is because of his cursed limited PTO.  

I think Boy Scouts really will come to an end for the summer at some point???  Or maybe I'm imagining things and it never ends?

Eats

With the kids away the hubs and I were free to play for dinner.  At his request I made him a chicken pot pie BUT BUT BUT history was made.

The hubs made the request kind of late on Sunday so I did something that I've never done before.  I forked out $3 for two STORE BOUGHT PIE CRUSTS.

Strangely enough the world did not end, the crust was very good, and I might just take the store bought route in the future.

For myself, I made up a round of Well Plated's Pad Thai (pictured up top).  It came together very easily and was quite good.

For this week's Sunday dinner, I tried out another new recipe that I knew was something that both of us would want to eat.  I made A Taste of Home's Angel Hair Pasta with Sausage and Spinach.  I made a few small tweaks:

  • Wow why are they having us add oil to the pan with the sausage at the start of the recipe?  Thanks all the same the sausage has all of the grease that we need to pick up the onion and garlic saute.
  • Surely there is a typo in the recipe where it says to use two 9 ounce bags of fresh spinach?  Yes it cooks down but wowza that's a lotta spinach.  I used one 5 ounce bag that I put in right at the end instead of halfway through.
  • I find that heavy cream makes things too heavy, so I used half and half instead and honestly milk would be perfectly fine as well. 

The end result was a winner.

Workouts

I started Caroline Girvan's 10 week Epic Heat series this week but sadly it didn't click.  As in I didn't like 3 out of the 5 workouts in the first week and I see a lot of workouts coming up that I know I'll be skipping (excessive pushups, other weird moves that I don't do well, etc.)

When I started doing these workouts last year, I made the joke that I had broken up with running and now I was "seeing someone else" by doing the Caroline workouts.  Now I think it's time for Caroline and me to redefine our relationship.  Obviously the workouts have been incredible or I wouldn't have kept doing them for 10 months, but the format is getting stale.  There are too many foundational things that I can't do and am not going to pick up just by following the workouts (example: hey pushups!).  I also want to try lifting heavier but with less reps to make better use of my gym time.

Next week I'm going to try creating my own workouts and possibly adding in some shorter Caroline stuff here and there.  I might get her app as well - I already know from the chatter that I've seen that the new Beastmode workout is probably not going to be a fit for me, but she has a ton of shorter workouts plus articles on the app and I'm curious enough to drop $10 for a one month subscription.  At the same time I'm not in any hurry to drop the $10 if that makes sense - let's see how this week goes and I'll refine the plan from there.

Watching

I read the book and now I'm watching the show.  Given that The Handmaid's Tale (the book) is so tightly written, I wasn't sure what the story would look like spread out over 5 seasons and counting.  But so far from where I am three episodes in I think they've got it.  The book has the brilliant words, and the TV show has Elizabeth Moss's eyerolls as she tries to blend in and keep her head down in a dystopian world until she can escape.


Reading

Nothing yet!  The Handmaid's Tale was so good that I need a breather before starting another book.

However I did get to thinking...a long time ago I did a "read the book or see the movie" post and since then I've got a lot more pairings to add to it.  So I went and created a page to keep it all in one place.

But Wait There's More

I've got a good bit up of my vacation written up.  I went to five places in total which is way too much to cram into one post.  Plus I had to explain what ties these places together and why I went there, which is a post in itself.  This is either going to be fascinating or deadly dull, so let's pace ourselves.  I'm going to start rolling out the vacation saga on Wednesdays and Fridays for the next three weeks.

That's a wrap for this round up!  See you on Wednesday to start talking vacay!


21 comments:

  1. If you're looking for new workouts, I used to use Fitness Blender free workouts. Now I am a big fan of Nourish Move Love. She has lots of free workout plans, with everything from two week to full month plans. She is super encouraging to boot. I highly recommend her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been a Margaret Atwood fan since I was a young woman, and for that reason I have not even considered watching The Handmaid's Tale. I have a real "thing" with watching shows that were based on the books because I find them really disappointing, and I have heard that the series really deviates from the books. So I am going to ask you - is that true? I think most people who have watched the series have NOT read the book, but I know you have. TELL ME EVERYTHING.
    My sons created a little strength program for me to do, it doesn't take long and I think it's pretty effective. I really loathe strength training and I do everything in my power to at least tolerate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I know what you mean. My peeve about TV shows especially is that sometimes they really have to bloat and stretch the story to get extra seasons out of it.

      I'm three episodes in to Handmaid and so far it's exactly what I want it to be - respectful of the book AND it's giving me a bit more than the book has to offer so it's not like I'm rereading the book. The question/risk is that the show is 5 seasons and counting, so obviously they ran out of book at some point. I'll let you know when I get there.

      My only dislike is that in the book Waterford and his wife were described as older. In the show they're the same age as Offred so the visual isn't what I was expecting.

      Delete
  3. I'm really looking forward to your vacay recaps!

    As for workouts, I wholeheartedly second Sarah's recommendation for Nourish Move Love. I have been doing Lindsey's workouts since... 2021? Maybe 2020? She is super encouraging, plus she has a huge database of free workouts. I also signed up for her free email service and she usually sends out two-week workout plans that are easy to follow. She has recently launched a $5.99/month membership program that I'm thinking about trying... but the amount of free content she already offers is so vast it's hard to justify the paid version. But I'm seriously thinking about it which I think says a lot about how I feel about her. (Deeply evangelical, it seems.)

    I have also recently discovered Tracy Steen / Move Daily. I am not as big a fan of her commentary as I am of Lindsey's -- Lindsey makes me feel super empowered and her patter makes the workouts go by quickly -- but I do like the workouts themselves. And she's in her 40s (at least) which I like immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm taking notes. I'm definitely into fitness advice from folks on the upper end of their 40's - yay!

      My feeling about buying the cow when there's so much free milk out there - or me dropping $10 for Caroline and you dropping $6 for Lindsey - is no I don't want to make a habit of it, but for folks that I love, I don't mind forking out some spare change once in a while. If nothing else I'm saying thanks, and I feel that I might get my $10 worth. If there's value there I might even keep the subscription up for a few months.

      Delete
  4. I am glad to hear that the Handmaiden's Tale is a good show; I read the book so many years ago that I may have to read it again before I watch the show, but I will put it on my list! I like the main actress, although I can't help but think of her as Peggy from Mad Men, but I guess I would get over that fast enough! I also just looked up the cast and there are some surprises in there (the girl from Gilmore Girls?) I rarely ever watch TV but when I do I often sit for a while, so I probably won't see it until after summer is over, but thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I see a show with Elizabeth Moss, I'm always like "ugh Zoey" (from West Wing) or "ugh Peggy" and I don't know why I have that reaction since I loved her in both of those shows and now I love her as Offred. I think that maybe it's because Zoey took a while to grow on me? In any case she is a fabulous actress.

      Margaret Atwood has a cameo in the first episode so she's fully onboard with the show. From what I've seen so far, the TV folks know what they are doing. That's not always the case with books being turned into shows.

      Delete
  5. I have to potpiefess that once I tried the refrigerated crusts, I never looked back. Often times, I just use one crust, on top ((gasp!!)). That sausage and spinach pasta recipe sounds good! I used to get Taste of Home years ago, and kept most of the magazines. They had a lot of great "comfort" food recipes and tons of awesome desserts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I piefess right back that I may never make a homemade crust again. I have the bragging rights that I *can* do it, but going store bought was too easy and too good.

      Delete
  6. Ugh, damn that limited PTO!

    Spinach cracks me up. I bet two bags was NOT a typo lol. I think one bag is a serving? So silly.

    I am excited to hear how your week of creating your own workouts goes! An excited to read your vacation recaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just applied for a job where employees are REQUIRED to take THREE WEEKS OFF each year. It does exist.

      Delete
  7. I have to admit that I'm not loving Epic Heat, but I feel obligated to finish it. I have used Fitness Blender in the past, but they don't have the workout plans or series that CG has, so that's a bummer. I'm also taking notes and may check out Nourish Move Love. I agree with you that there's so much free content out there - there has to be a way to get what you want without spending a lot (or any) money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt that way halfway through Epic III - and all I got was five weeks of unsatisfying workouts to show for it. 3/5 dislike in the first week is too much. However, CG has held my attention for 10 months which is longer than any other strength fitness guru. My status right now with her is "we're on a break" but I'm sure we'll get back together.

      Delete
  8. Hmm, I'm intrigued by that pasta dish- I could make that vegan! i have to break out of the tofu/broccoli/rice routine, and tomorrow is my turn to cook. I might try it.
    I'll be very interested to hear what you decide, workout-wise. The whole reason I started going to the gym was that I wanted to lift heavier, and I just don't have the equipment at home. I also can't do pushups because of my wrist, which really limits my at-home workout potential.
    I'm looking forward to the vacation saga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pasta would be super easy to turn vegan. I think you could leave out the cream at the end and it wouldn't change the taste at all. The leftovers are even better.

      I've been keeping an eye on your gym results! The only reason I'm not going - right now at least - is that home workouts fit my schedule better. I know that lifting a lighter weight a bunch of times like the CG workouts is supposed to be just as good as lifting heavy, but I'm really not feeling it. Yes the workouts are challenging but...I feel like I could be getting more with less time. We'll see.

      Delete
  9. I've been meaning to try Caroline Girvan. I looked at some of her workouts but they were a bit too long for me as I'm so crunched for time. I used to use Beachbody workouts and there was a 100 workout series that I LOVED! But I wanted to try something new so I'm trying Peloton for now but I don't think I'll stick w/ it after my trial membership is up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I'm "on a break" with Caroline, the workouts really kept me engaged for a long time. I don't know how much time you have for workouts but:

      The Advent Series is a bunch of 15-20 minute workouts: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhu1QCKrfgPVKViubrzd6hP3ziAs60qfD

      Iron is 6 weeks of 30 minute workouts: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhu1QCKrfgPWmStsg7imo5EQ0zmkxymJ2

      Delete
  10. That pasta recipe sounds amazing - I bookmarked it for future use. I agree though, I NEVER add oil to a pan when I am frying sausage... there's enough grease in the sausage. I also substitute half and half for the cream. BUT, I would have totally used the 18 oz of spinach... LOL (I ususally get a 12 oz or even 16 oz bag. Jon and I love spinach and I don't feel guilty adding MORE vegetables to a dish... esp. when it cooks down like spinach does.).

    Maybe I am a little traumatized by "not enough spinach"... we recently went out to dinner and I ordered a spinach deep dish pizza. When the pizza came, all I saw was red tomato sauce and a leaf of green here and there... I asked the waiter if this was indeed the spinach pizza I had ordered and he confirmed.
    They charged me $25 freakin' dollars for a deep dish pizza that had like 5 leaves of the topping I actually ordered. I was so disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leftovers were even better! When you make it, you'll have to post a picture so we can compare the "half spinach" version with the "full spinach" version.

      I've had a few "spinach" pizzas like you describe. Very disappointing.

      Delete
  11. I'm like San - I would have added ALL the spinach! I was looking for stir fry recipes this morning that use miso - I'm in a total miso phase - but now I'm intrigued by your pasta recipe. I, too, would veganize it. :)
    I can't wait to hear about the vacation! Makes me want to skip ahead in my really backed up feed... :)

    ReplyDelete