Monday, September 4, 2023

Weekly Round Up: Long Weekend Report

 


 

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  Plus job musings and a long weekend report.

What a difference a week makes.  Last week I was all "I am maybe definitely kinda gonna quit my job" and now I'm just sitting back and chilling while the other players plan their next move.

Job Musings

Since it's a holiday weekend, let's get the work stuff out of the way.  On Thursday I had a call with my boss's-boss's-boss where he told me that the company is great and that part of the reason that they did layoffs is so that there's a budget for everyone to have raises next year.  But there are certain Key Employees who they will lavish cash on to keep and apparently I am one of those Key People.  Whatever.

I told him that I was balancing what happens if I stay vs would I feel stupid if I left.  What happens if I stay and x, y, and z things continue that make my job unchallenging?  But then if I leave and later on I hear that they did a, b, and c things and I wasn't a part of it how would I feel?

That was the lip service that I gave to the honcho, and between you and me what I'm actually doing is sitting back to see if more money turns up and then make the call on whether its enough to make it worthwhile it to stay another year or two.  The benefit of staying is soaking up mo' money which will later on let me stay out of the workforce longer and/or permanently.  The negative of staying is that overall I don't enjoy the job which puts a cloud on how much I enjoy the rest of my life.  And in theory I should be able to walk away now and have the money work out.  We shall see.

Weekend Musings

We went on a family bike ride which led to being in the right place at the right time to get the bird shot.  If google is giving me the right story, our friend is a juvenile green heron.

Also FWIW I want to document that the first Halloween decorations in our neighborhood went up on August 31.

Food

The first thing that I want to talk about falls under the category of "I changed my mind".  Awhile back I made CLVs Eggless Breakfast Burritos but was underwhelmed by the finished product.  The filling was kind of wet and kind of crumbly, so it didn't play well in burrito form.  I froze the leftovers to tide me over until I got around to making my standard breakfast burrito.

Well, oddly enough I haven't gotten around to making my standard breakfast burrito and I found myself enjoying the leftovers.  This Saturday when breakfast time rolled around and we had no eggs and a block of tofu, I found myself making another batch.

This time around I was much more liberal with not following the recipe and leaving out ingredients that I didn't have.  No spinach and no tomato so I skipped and didn't miss the spinach and subbed a few spoonfuls to salsa for the tomato. 

Disadvantage - yes the filling is crumbly so it's very prone to spilling out of the tortilla

Advantage - there's just something about the flavor combination that hits right.

For treats, a few weeks ago we had dinner with friends and got a brownie sundae to share.  That inspired a homemade version: these brownies, this fudge sauce, ice cream, and whipped cream.  It's kind of hard to see all of that in my "single sized and not table sized" version, but that's what's going on.  After the first test run, I made a double batch of the brownies and have them and the fudge sauce on ice in the freezer to bring back anytime we want our new favorite dessert.

 

Workouts

I'm in the final week of the CGX Beginner Program (that's the fancy new Caroline Girvan app).  One that's done I'll be tackling a bunch of shorter workouts on the app, and then I think I'll just do full body strength three times a week.  I'll start with the new Beastmode full body workouts, then go to the new Iron program full body workouts, and then switch back to the Youtube workouts if I run out of things to do.

Speaking of fitness and wildlife photography, I was amused to see a renegade sports bra cup liner on the path in my neighborhood park this week.


 

Watching

If you're looking for an unusual but true story...a random Zoom conversation while waiting for a meeting to start led to a distant work colleague telling me about a crazy thing that happened in her hometown that was made into the movie Bernie.  Once upon a time an unlikely friendship between a very nice undertaker and a very mean wealthy lady came to pass which ended in her murder.  In order to prosecute and get a fair trial, the case had to be moved out of town - because everyone hated the victim and loved the defendant so much.

A little Jack Black goes a long way for me but I liked him in this role and Shirley MacClaine was spot on as the mean old lady.  The jaw dropping part of this one is watching the move and then getting on Google and finding out what happened after the movie was made.

Reading

I finished The Maltese Falcon and oooh it was so good.  The burning question that I was left with from my movie spree was whether the book had the 1931 movie ending or the 1941 movie ending.  The answer is: neither!  The next task is to rate the three endings: last place goes to 1931, second place goes to the book, and first place goes to 1941 ("the stuff that dreams are made of").

I went ISO the next read and was trying to decide between another Hammett or Raymond Chandler when I saw a Youtube video about the movie Carol which reminded me that I've been very happy with every Patricia Highsmith novel that I've ever read.  I've never seen Carol so why not start with the book?  The book is called The Price of Salt and all that I can tell you so far is that it's about a young woman trying to make it in the theater business and making ends meet by working in a department store in the meantime.  It's super moody and I am here for it.


18 comments:

  1. That green heron photo is amazing!

    Congrats on being officially nominated as a Key Person! Go Birchie!
    Now that you have the attention of the boss-boss-boss you will definitely get the salary-number you want. And more.
    What probably won't change are the unchallenging parts of your work. They will try to switch up a few things, but much of it will stay.
    Your strategy is spot on: cash in as much as you can while paying attention to the cost: your happiness. You know best when to pull the plug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help but think how much more I'd rather be taking photos of birds than wasting my days at work...hmm...

      Delete
  2. As always, your food looks amazing!

    And Halloween decor. Already?! I've seen things in stores, but so far nothing spotted "in the wild" in my town yet. It does seem to keep appearing earlier and earlier each year. I am not a fan of Halloween (I know, I know, I'm like the only person who doesn't seem to love this holiday), so I just don't get the appeal of decorating so much and so early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not the only one who doesn't love Halloween...I like the candy and I like that the kids like it. Otherwise it's an annoying night of having to be on my feet to answer the door.

      Delete
  3. How did that bra liner get there? That's even more puzzling than when you see one shoe out in the wild. I feel like there is a short story there, from the point of view of the liner.
    Interesting news on the job front! I'll be interested to hear about the next installment.
    I just made brownies with fudge sauce and ice cream last weekend! Wait, two weekends ago. Anyway, it is a truly excellent dessert.
    I meant to mention on your last post - I love the movie Pulp Fiction and the boys and I recently watched it together (they had both seen it once before). It is so funny. We've been quoting it ever since. I am the Foot Fucking Master is one of my favourite lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The possibilities are endless. Maybe it got tucked into another piece of clothing in the wash and escaped on the run. Maybe it bunched up and the owner got annoyed and decided to pull it out instead of smoothing it...there's just no knowing.

      Delete
    2. I 100% agree with Nicole here. There needs to be a short story written about this bra liner and how it got there. I'd like the story to involve a kidnapping and an AC/DC song.

      Delete
    3. Short story contest!!! The perfect follow up to the Cool Bloggers Book Club!

      Delete
  4. My first thought about that bra liner was someone getting really annoyed with it during the run and throwing it down in anger (because I find them really annoying.). But, I think your theory about it getting tangled up in another piece of clothing is probably correct- recently, my husband was at work, noticed something funny in his pants pocket, and pulled out... a bra cup liner. Hee hee. Of course this isn't as good as Engie's version, so maybe we'll just go with hers.
    That breakfast burrito looks good! I need to start switching up my breakfasts a little so maybe I'll try it.
    The work suspense continues- it's nice to be able to just sit back and chill, right? I can't wait to find out what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the anger theory. I remember a few times feeling like something was a little off a few miles into a long run and realizing that it was a lumped up bra insert that was rubbing me the wrong way.

      I can't wait to find out what happens...it's hella boring sitting around waiting for things to play out.

      Delete
  5. I hope they offer more money! They would be stupid not to!!!!

    That burrito looks delish to me! I really appreciate you sharing your meals here. They inspire me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno the boss talked a good game but I'll believe it when I see it. The burritos were winners!

      Delete
  6. I can imagine the back and forth about the job situation... and now they're really sweet-talking you, aren't they? I'll be curious to find out what happens in the end.

    I have seen the most random things on runs, but a bra liner is a new first! LOL I'd really like to know how it got there... short story from the view of the bra liner, as Nicole suggested, is brilliant LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to get into bird watching, and I kind of feel like the bra liner is the equivalent of a rare bird sighting!

      Delete
  7. We saw Bernie, and I am with you all the way. A little Jack Black is plenty, and I liked this movie quite a bit. I love your picture of that bird. My theory on the bra liner is that it was stuck in her clothing from the dryer, and finally fell out. Who knows, though. Short story contest might get you some great results.

    Regarding the job, ugh. They let people go so they can pay others more? Our company let people go so they could hire other people for different positions. I hate the whole entire thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, this thing started with me not liking my company and everything since has confirmed...I don't like my company.

      Delete
  8. Ugh, the job situation sounds so rough! I'm sorry you're going back and forth so much. Now that I'm a manager and get to have more direct insight into the corporate goings-on, it's really opened my eyes. Blergh.

    I'm here for the short story contest from the perspective of the bra cup liner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not envy you your job situation. It sounds like things have not improved, and they have not shown you the money. I still think it's time to cut bait, but am so curious to know what you choose (or chose) to do. I need to read ahead again, I think...
    I would also like to request the bra's story. My question is, did the bra come off too? Is it elsewhere, flung away from the wearer with unbridled glee? ;)

    ReplyDelete