Monday, March 4, 2024

Weekly Round Up: A Breed Apart

 

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  The big news item of this week is that the results are in on Doggo's DNA test!  

A Doggy DNA Teaser

We did a Doggy DNA test and the results are in!  Obviously Doggo looks like a German Shepherd, but the pattern in her coat suggests that there is something else going on and she has white patches on her chest and paws.  The question was if there enough of any one breed in her to test?

Yes there was!  I'm going to drag this out and give you the full answer at the end of the post, but here is your teaser:

  • 33% Breed A
  • 33% German Shepherd Dog (fun fact, the breed is called "German Shepherd Dog" and not "German Shepherd")
  • 25% Breed B
  • 9% Supermutt!

The mystery breeds are similar in size to German Shepherds.  Breed A is known for being very affectionate and for kissing, which are definitely two traits that Doggo has.  Breed B accounts for the white in her coat.  When we've told people the results, the reaction to Breed A is "I would never have guessed that" and Breed B is "oh I can see that" (well I personally couldn't see it but that's what folks are saying).

The test predicted that her adult weight will be 46 pounds so at this point Girlfriend has 16 pounds to go.  She tested negative for all of the genetic diseases that the test screens for.

I'll let you ponder what Breeds A and B might be while we get on with the rest of the story.

Eats

Bad picture, good food.  I did a very loose adaptation of Rainbow Plant Life's creamy umami noodle soup with crispy mushrooms.  My broth is beige compared to her white thanks to my shortcut of using a spoonful of chili paste instead of Thai chili peppers - you know, an ingredient that I would have had to go to the grocery store to get.  Big thumbs up for the broth on this one.  I think that there's a slight edge to browning mushrooms in a skillet as opposed to baking them but there is also the convenience factor of being hands off.

Workouts

The usual during the week.

I went on a tear with the hiking challenge this weekend and knocked out three hikes.  The big payoff was this blue heron who came right up to the edge of the water and had zero cares that I was there.  I returned the favor by not getting any closer than he did and using zoom to get this shot.

Watching

Nothing notable to report.

Reading

I have mixed feelings about Wellness by Nathan Hill but the mix is leaning toward the positive side.  It's a big sprawling satire on marriage, parenting, and modern times.  The genius part is that the author is able to build up a believable world and characters without getting cartoonish.  I don't live in a world where the latest thing in home design is separate bedrooms for spouses,  but the way he lays it out makes me believe it and laugh at it.  I like the two main characters and I believe in them as real people.

What I don't like is that the book is very long and the story gets flabby in places.  Taking a detour to tell the story of the wife's great grandfather, grandfather, and father...no thank you.  I've given these and other ramblings a good skim.

On the audio book side, lots of hikes mean lots of listening.

  • I finally, finally, finally got around to Nicole's recommendation of Lauren Bacall's memoir.  She (Lauren, not Nicole but if only...) wrote a nice juicy memoir called By Myself, which she later updated and that version is called By Myself and Then Some.  I loved By Myself but the trouble started when the book went to the "Then Some" chapters where the story switched from juicy personal stuff to "let me tell you about that time that Barbra Streisand cast me in a movie as her mother"...I found myself bored to tears and jumped ship at that point.  I loved getting to hear her voice telling her story, and I will forgive her for only writing about two sentences about Malabar Farm.
  • My next book is something that I learned about from a Cool Blogger but I don't remember who (please tell me if it was you!).  Counting the Cost by Jill Duggar is her memoir about being kid #4 of 19.  I watched the Duggar documentary on Amazon a while back, and she really stood out for having taken the mess that her parents handed her and making a good life on her own terms.  It is jaw droppingly good, though of course what she went through is very sad.

Enough stalling, tell us what kind of dog Doggo is

Surely!

My little Pit Bull!  The combination means a very affectionate, very intelligent, high energy dog.  That checks out with what we've seen of Doggo so far.

I googled the three breeds and was surprised to find a video of a dog that looks very similar to Doggo - that dog has more of a Pit Bull face, but the coat pattern and the white patches are very close.

See all y'all next week!

 


31 comments:

  1. My guess was Husky and Labrador - Pit Bull was a total surprise!
    I love how you got us all sitting on the edge of our seats until the end!! HAHA!

    That blue heron shot is amazing - that was with your camera, right?

    Separate bedrooms for spouses... I remember I was about 20 years old when I was visiting an older couple in their 60s. It took me a while to realize that they had separate bedrooms. I was totally shocked. To this day, separate bedrooms sound like a very sad thing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heron was with my phone on 2x zoom. He really did get quite close to me.

      I'm totally in favor of people doing what they need to do in the bedroom to get a good night's sleep, but for me that means having Hubs beside me.

      Delete
  2. Aww. Well, the results are in and Doggo is gorgeous. Full stop, right. But how fascinating to know all the combination of genes that came together to make her one in a million.

    I think it was me that recommended Counting the Cost? I read it a few months ago and could. not. put. it. down. For several reasons the story resonates with me, but I just also thought she did a pretty incredible job of laying out the reality of her life (and what was "reality TV" and what was the actual "reality").

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elisabeth! I really love her book. She has an incredible voice.

      Delete
  3. Supermutt! That’s so fun! Your doggo is a beauty! The Siberian Husky result is the part that surprised me most. I love Blue Herons. They’re so strange and magestic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love herons. I think that they used to be more rare but their numbers have increased and they're actually pretty common where I live. I still appreciate seeing them every time that I get a chance.

      Delete
  4. I would have never guessed any of those breeds! Doggo! Lots of energy, lots of fun!
    Regarding Lauren Bacall - my copy is just the By Myself one, and even so, I thought that the first 2/3 of the book were excellent, and then it maybe wasn't. So I can imagine the "and then some" part would be even more boring. This is like the Shelley Winters autobiographies I read - the first was great, the second was a snore. WHAT DID YOU THINK OF FRANK SINATRA. Now, I never thought Frank would be good to women but he did the ultimate in ghosting before ghosting was a thing! Also, the whole thing with Bogie when she was like 19 and he was still married. JUICY JUICY JUICY. I live for this kind of detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of what you said about Shelley Winters as soon as book 2 started. She went from spilling the tea to drinking tea with Barbra and I was just like whatever.

      Delete
  5. Look at that sweet puppy face! My guesses were Golden Retriever and husky. I am super surprised that she has so much pitbull in her!

    Your hikes sound fabulous. And how nice that you got up close and personal with that gorgeous heron.

    Is it possible that Elisabeth recommended the Duggar book? Maybe she wasn't the only one, but I seem to recall reading about it on her blog.

    The soup intrigues me. Did the mushroom prep require a ton of work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the thing - I like to keep a bunch of sauteed mushrooms in the freezer, and it was time to restock so that's why I made the soup. So I was going to be cooking up a big batch of mushrooms regardless. It didn't take too long to slice them up and then baking them was completely hands off. So it wasn't too bad. I love mushrooms but I think you could leave them out and still have a great soup.

      Delete
  6. I know next to nothing about dogs so don't have any guesses about her breed! But I am glad her genetic tests came back clear!! Woo hoo!

    I am tempted to read Wellness. I know SHU loved it and I think she said it might be a contender for an all-time favorite book. That is such a huge endorsement that I might need to wait a year to read it so that isn't fresh in my mind... otherwise I might enter w/ unrealistic expectations.

    My reading has been so very blah lately, but I did really enjoy "The Road to Dalton." I would describe it as quiet and sad with Elizabeth Strout vibes. So if that sounds appealing, I'd check it out. It's set in Maine so could be a companion to that other sad Maine book we both read about the failing marriage (title has escaped me because my brain is broken lately).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read any Elizabeth Strout. Maybe I'll check her out. I'm feeling a pull toward "grown up" books instead of my usual fare of thrillers.

      Delete
  7. Doggo is the perfect combination of perfect dog breeds! How fun to know for sure. I didn't see pit bull, but I can see Husky- and that's a breed that's usually on my mind because my daughter's dream, for some reason, is to own a Siberian Husky someday (I don't think they'd be happy in Florida? But what do I know.)
    Anyway, that noodle dish sounds good except for the mushrooms. I saw she had a variation for us mushroom haters though.
    Nice job on the hikes, and I love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup was pretty easy to make, and I think it would be fine without mushrooms.

      All I know about huskies is that the one in our neighborhood looooooves the snow. Of course every dog I've ever known loves snow, but the husky really thrives on it.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I'm curious, what diseases did the genetic test screen for? Did you do it through your vet? I don't see the pit bull either, but no matter what, she's beautiful for sure.

    I have Wellness on hold via Libby, so will be listening to that at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the DNA test was from a company called Embark and it is a home test - basically the doggy version of 24 and Me. Basically it's a cotton swab that you put in your dog's mouth and then send off in the mail - sure a lot easier than the 24 and Me test. It screens for 256 genetic conditions in addition to breed.

      Delete
  9. I find myself feeling less and less confident in these dog DNA tests. I guess I know intellectually that most dogs in shelters and rescues in the States have bully breeds in them, I just cannot see where Doggo has any of those characteristics. Her head shape, general stature, and coat types - eh. I just don't see it.

    Our homeowner's insurance will not cover a bully breed (or a rottweiler or chow), so we have never done a test on Hannah so we always have plausible deniability. I mean, she must have some bully in her (her head says so!), but we can just shrug our shoulders and say we don't know. I have a lot of thoughts about these breed restrictions - like I can have a Cane Corso, but not a rottie? - but no one asked me so I'll get off my soapbox.

    How vocal is Doggo? I ask because huskies can be...adamant in having their voices heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doggo is a talker! She's still adjusting to us and if she hears someone moving around in the house she's not shy about letting us know. It was funny because she didn't bark at all when we were in the shelter or for the longest time when we brought her home. The first day I went out to the pet store and she was alone with Hubs and all of a sudden she started barking her head off. Hubs was really puzzled and then he got an Amazon delivery notification and he realized what set her off.

      Assuming that Doggo's test is correct and she's a Pit Bull who doesn't look like a Pit Bull then as far as I'm concerned that's proof positive that any Pitty resemblance that Hannah is coincidence and she is Bull Free. So tell that to your insurance.

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful pup! I have never thought of doing a dog DNA test but now I am so interested in it. I mean, Bella the Morkie is so Maltese with her underbite, but it would be interesting to know what type of terrier mix she really is...

    And, what a beautiful heron picture! I can't wait to hike and see birds and forest dwellers again. Hopefully, we dry out a bit more soon as the weather is getting a bit warmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The DNA test was a fun thing to do.

      Hiking in winter has been fun. Thankfully it hasn't been too cold but that means that it's been super muddy. It was great preparation for having a puppy and being out in our swampy backyard.

      Delete
  11. I totally agree on Wellness. It was so well written that I kept going with it but it was just so meandering.

    How fun to see the results! I know very little about dog breeds so I never would have guessed pit bull!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgive Wellness for the meandering since it's so well written.

      I know nothing about dog breeds either! All that I know is German Shepherd mixed with something. Doggo is German Shepherd mixed with a lot of things.

      Delete
  12. Yes, I can definitely see Husky, but Pit Bull kind of surprised me. Nonetheless, she's got a great combo of genetics that make her HER. Nice capture of the Blue Heron ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by Doggo, the Pit Bull/Shepherd/Husky/Supermutt mix is going to be the next big thing in dog breeding. She's a lovely girl.

      Delete
  13. I could only see the German Shepherd in her so I was surprised she has pit bull and husky in her. A fun combo! She is such a beautiful doggo. I can't get enough of her!

    I am SO on the fence about Wellness. I am not sure I want to read a 600-page book buuuut everyone keeps raving about it. Ack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now 85% of the way through Wellness, and my take is that it would have been a great 300-400 page book. I've skipped huge chunks were it veers into the wife's grandfather and the husband's childhood. The rest is good but...there are so many other great books out there.

      Delete
  14. Thank you for providing excellent evidence that what we see on the outside is, in no way, an accurate reflection of what is on the inside (i.e. the DNA sequence). :) This is fascinating, but like many genetic tests, I am a bit skeptical. On the other hand, genetics studies on dogs have been critical to our understanding of human genetics. (Sorry, had to nerd out...) (https://irp.nih.gov/pi/elaine-ostrander)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct, all that the test tells us is that she is a dog;-) A very sweet dog.

      Delete
    2. She just seems so lovable, and loving. What joy she must bring all of you. <3

      Delete
  15. Somehow I missed this post! Probably because I am basically running on one sliver of brain these days. I also don't know a lot about dogs, so did not have a guess but I guess I never would have said pitty based on her looks. My neighbor had a Pitbull who snuck under the fence into my yard and when I went out to investigate she came running toward me, smiling and was very friendly. It is sad that they get a bad rap, or are trained to be kind of scary in some instances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! You've got a lot going on;-) I had heard that Pit Bulls are actually very friendly, and know that I have one, I believe it. She loves to cuddle and always has a kiss ready to plant on us.

      Delete