Monday, March 18, 2024

Weekly Round Up: Snow Snoot

 

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads, or at least as many of the above as I can remember with the puppy distraction.

Since we last talked we had another round of Boy Scout camp, which means that the family all went off on their own various adventures (camp for the fellas, boarding at the vet for Doggo, and a long weekend trip for me).  I'll be back with that story in a few days.  Today I want to show you a cute pic of my puppy in the snow and tell you about an incredible book.

Dawg Report

Our girl continues to amaze and delight as well as to be a handful.  My posting schedule is likely going to be a bit choppy for a bit.  It's not that I *can't* blog and look after a puppy at the same time, it's just that for whatever reason it's hard to concentrate.  Or as this Facebook post so aptly put it:

Serious truth, although my sources (everyone I know who had ever had a puppy) say that the velociraptor stage is more like 4-12 months, and there are frequent intervals of cuteness and snuggles in with the mayhem.  I'll keep you posted.

Food Report

Nothing memorable to report.

Workout Report

Still hiking up a storm.  We're starting puppy training classes with Doggo next month, so I'm on a mission to finish the hiking challenge in March.  Five hikes and approximately 20 miles to go!

TV Report

See above point about the development stages of puppies.

Book Report

Now we're talking! My reading has slowed down a bit but it's still kicking.  And boy oh boy do I have a book for you.  To catch you up:

  • I finished Wellness by Nathan Hill.  Final verdict: harrumph.  When this book was good it was so good but then there were the other 500 pages of this 600 page book.  It was took much work to get a funny story about an orgy.
  • Speaking of orgies, are you looking for a book with non erotic sexual content?  Then I can wholeheartedly recommend Only Say Good Things by Crystal Hefner, who is Hugh Hefner's widow.  I believe that this is the first time I've ever read a book because of the ghost writer, who is none other than Lara Love Hardin of The Many Lives of Mama Love fame.  This was a well crafted, very sad story.
  • So what was that book I said I had for you?  A week or so ago Jenny mentioned a book called Every Last One by Anna Quindlen.  From the way she described it, I knew that I needed to drop everything and get my hands on it NOW.  I first encountered Quindlen in an college literature class, and it was a case of the professor being obsessed with her to the point where he killed our interest.  From time to time I've heard someone recommend Quindlen and I've always resisted for that reason.  Well, now that I know better I will do better.  This book is i-n-c-r-e-d-i-b-l-e.  All I will say is that it is a story about a family where the unthinkable happens.  In a way I'm glad that I'm limited to reading a chapter at a time because it is such a journey.  Now mind you, the book does start with the mother getting up before everyone else in the house and letting the dog out of the crate, which is my current life...except that the dog is older so her life does not include frequent trips outside to walk said puppy but I digress.

Peace out!  I'll be back soon to tell you about my trip.



27 comments:

  1. That is a very sweet snow snoot photo!
    I had no idea about the velociraptor stage. In fact, I had no idea about how much work puppies could be in the first place. But you'll get through this and at the end of the tunnel you will have a fantastic, devoted doggo.
    Nice job on the hiking challenge, too! I guess you will have to wait until doggo is at least a year old until you can take her with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an idea about how much work puppies are, but there's no way to know until you're in it. Actually I think we're going to be bored out of our minds when she grows up and doesn't require constant supervision.

      Doggo will need leash training before she is able to come with me, and that's all part of the puppy class that we're starting next month.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to hear about your trip!

    Also, cute pic, and I have questions! Firstly, when did you guys get snow? I thought y'all were having a heat wave? Second, I see the clip for the leash is on the side; is it twisted or is it there for a reason? I have never seen that positioning before.

    I lied to you in my reply to your comment on my site and I actually went earlier this morning and got the Quindlen book from the library already (sorry, not sorry). I still may wait a week or so to read it just in case, but am looking forward to it (and will have many hours of audio time coming up soon!) I also put the Hef book on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have answers! People around here love to say "if you don't like the weather just wait 5 minutes and it will change". The day before it was 70 degrees and I have pictures of Doggo outside basking in the sunshine and green grass. Anytime from October to May is fair game for snow.

      Her harness has a front and a back clip, but the back clip is on a slide so that it moves with her when she darts and spins so that she (and the hooman on the other end of the leash) don't get tangled up in the leash. That's why it looks like it's on her side. It's genius.

      I think you're safe to read Quindlen now. It's true that it's about an "unthinkable" and I'm pretty sure there's another punch coming but it is also a sweeping, engrossing, beautiful story and I think you'll appreciate the distraction of being able to get lost in a good book.

      Delete
  3. Snow snoot so cute! (And so hard to say)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - easy to write, but try saying it three times fast!

      Delete
  4. I have heard about that Hefner memoir, through a podcast, and it sounds absolutely wild and also kind of depressing. Ewwwww creepy old guy in a robe. I (only sort of) remember Barkley's puppyhood as the boys were 3 and 4 at the time, but I remember things being very very very busy. Aww, puppies. So cute. So much work.
    Looking forward to hearing about the trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, creepy old guy in a robe...or "non erotic sexual content". Bring on the bears, doorknobs, and balloon animals.

      I feel like I will forget everything about Doggo's puppyhood once she grows up except for the sweet snuggles when she gets on my lap. I hope she never grows out of the lapdog stage.

      Delete
  5. I'm SO GLAD you like the book! Since we've been talking about it lately, I keep thinking about it and going over certain parts in my head. At some point I'll have to reread it. By the way, I've read several other Quindlen books, and they were all a disappointment compared to that one. I'm not sure if you're done yet, but when you are we're going to have to DISCUSS.
    Ha, LOVE the photo of Doggo! And I can't wait to hear about the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every Last One is amazing! I feel like it's going to be the latest thing in Cool Blogger circles. I'm about 70% through and while I don't know how it's going to end my prediction is that there is another "unthinkable" coming that will jive with the title. I'm preparing for the worst while enjoying every step of the journey. We'll talk once I get there!

      Delete
  6. That is just the sweetest picture (even though I'm feeling very "over" snow). Can't wait to hear all about your trip <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm OK with the snow since we've had so much warmer weather to balance it out! It's actually not that cold, so that helps.

      Delete
  7. Love the snowy snoot. She looks so happy despite the return to winter. Hooray for your hiking challenge! Sounds like it's going great. Do you have a favorite hike so far? Any that you plan to repeat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely repeat all of the hiking routes in the different seasons. It's a very widespread area and it's impossible to take it all in at once.

      Delete
  8. I have Every Last One from the library RIGHT NOW. I'm in the middle of two big books, but it has been moved up to my next book in the list after your and Jenny's strong recs.

    Look at her cute snowy nose!!! Argh. Cuteness overload!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this is one that's worth setting the other books aside for. It's that good.

      Delete
  9. There should be a similar graphic for having children. The first 3 months should be a picture of a goldfish with a sign saying "warning, this gold fish is extremely high maintenance" because the infant stage is totally like having an incredibly high maintenance goldfish because you do all this stuff for the baby around the clock and you get NOTHING BACK. Then at around 3-4 months they start to smile and coo and you leave the goldfish stage behind. And then 2-4 is velociraptor stage.

    I loved Every last One!!!! it is SO GOOD. I kind of want to re-read it after all the chatter about it on your and Jenny's blog! Your review of Wellness doesn't make me want to read it... that is a lot of reading for a pay off. Hmmm... might need to skip that one. My reading cannot feel like work these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're safe in skipping Wellness;-) Honestly I don't even remember how it ended because I got lost a long time before the ending. If you read it then you're leaving less time for a great book like Every Last One. Not to repeat myself, but what you said...soooooooo good. I can't wait to finish it but also I want to keep reading...

      Delete
  10. What a cute snow snoot photo! That graphic made me laugh so hard! Our dog was SO difficult before he turned two. I always said, “It’s a good thing you’re cute, because you’re a terrible beast!” But when he turned two, he was suddenly a very good boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek I'm really hoping that she will calm down in the next few months as opposed to next year. But hey, we will take what we get! I'm just stunned by the difference between a puppy and our old dog, who was two when we got her.

      Delete
  11. Miss Doggo looks adorable with that snow backdrop ;-) Our 14-yr old Max acts like a hyper puppy still. We rescued him at age five, so we did not know him as a true puppy, but he must have been a handful of crazy and fun at that young age. Sounds like she's a keeper, though ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a keeper! We got our old dog when she was two, so I know that there will be big changes coming and the handful phase will pass in the blink of an eye.

      Delete
  12. I really enjoyed Every Last One when I read it, way back in 2011. I don't remember how it ended, but I do remember liking the writing a lot.

    Miss Doggo is adorable. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just such an incredible book. I can definitely see rereading this one.

      Delete
  13. OMG, the velociraptor stage! I had no idea! That's so funny. And difficult <3

    Your notes on Wellness made me laugh! It was a lot of beautiful writing about nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doggo is so unbelievably cute even on days when she does not have a snowy snout. (Snoot?) Add the snow and the cuteness hits the stratosphere. I can only imagine what the lapdog snuggles are like. (I miss my dog, sorry...)
    Not sure I'm up for that book. Nearing the end of the semester and I'm ready for it to be over. But I'll put it in the back of my mind (my "TBR") and will probably read it if I come across it in the future. :)
    Can't wait to hear about your latest adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy to hear Doggo is adjusting well, but I understand that you're still very busy with puppy training :) She's so cute though.

    ReplyDelete