Sunday, January 21, 2018

Weekly Eats: Monday Jan 15 - Sunday Jan 21


A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  Trader Joe's haul and dancing edition.

Weekday Breakfasts:
Breakfast potatoes topped with mushrooms, green pepper, onion, garlic, drippy eggs, and hot sauce.
Breakfast Burritos
Fried egg on toast
Homemade Egg McMuffin

Weekend Breakfasts:
Homemade Egg McMuffin
Breakfast potatoes with eggs and salsa

Weekday Lunches:
(lunches from the epic lunch prep two weeks ago)
M: Veggie burrito
T&H: Spinach-mushroom-artichoke stuffed shells
W: roast beef sandwich leftover from last weekend's party
F: Thai curry

Weekend Lunches:
Ad hoc nachos
Trader Joe's cereal bar with string cheese

Weekday Dinners:
M&T (family meals): leftover sandwiches and ice cream cake from last weekend's party
W (the date night that wasn't): on Tuesday during the day I learned about Korean Barbeque, or Bulgogi and liked the sound of it.  I liked it even more after I realized that I already had all of the ingredients at home.  When I got home that night, I pulled my stash of cube steak out of the freezer (leftover from my disappointing attempt at making chicken fried steak back in November).  I let the meat thaw while I mixed up the marinade.  Everything was looking up, and then stepson #1 mentioned that a school event that had been canceled the week before due to a snow day was now rescheduled for Wednesday night.  Whomp, whomp, it happens.  So on date night hubs left work early to go to school, and I got home at my normal time and made beef bulgogi for one.  I didn't slice the meat thinly enough (and cube steak is probably not the right choice to start with) but even so we really enjoyed this and the leftovers reheated nicely.  We will make this again.
H: Beef Bulgogi for two.
F (fend for yourself night): The last serving of beef bulgogi from him, veggie burrito for me.

Weekend Dinners:
S (date night): Out on the down dancing!  Before heading out to the big city like the party people that we are, we grabbed a quick bite at home.  Hubs had the last serving of chili mac from last Sunday, I made a cheese quesadilla.  And we kicked up our heels and stayed out late.
Su (family meal):Baked Chicken Chimichangas with cilantro lime rice and guac.  The avocados that I got at Trader Joe's were on point.

Meal Prep:
Minimal, there's at least another meal of chimichangas for adults.

Trader Joe's Haul Deets:
Coffee, frozen broccoli, sesame chicken, frozen chicken breasts, avocados, and cereal bars.  Treats: Cowboy Bark for me (meh), milk chocolate bars for my men.  Stepson #2 discovered my stash of fig cereal bars and is obsessed, so there may be more frequent TJ's trips in the future.

Other:
Workouts: standard fare of treadmill walks and runs, two weight lifting days.
Watching (from the treadmill): Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and A Place to Call Home.
Watching (from the couch):The Kids in the Hall, Whoopee!
Reading: Finally finished The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton.  Let's talk!  When all was said and done, I was happy with the book, and I would recommend it, but...


  • I had a hard time getting into it and almost DNF'd it.  Once I got about 75% of the way in, everything clicked and I was hooked.  Now that I know The Twist, I might actually read the book again someday.
  • The biggest problem for me was that most of the book was about the mother as a young woman, and she wasn't a nice character.  It was hard for me to get motivated to care about her or the daughter's quest to find out what really happened.
  • I'd previously read The Lake House by Kate Morton, which I loved.  The characters and situations between the two books are not dissimilar.  I'd recommend Lake House > Secret Keeper because Lake House sucked me in right away, and all things considered, it's a "happier" book than Secret Keeper.
  • Thinking back to before Christmas when I read In Farleigh Field, and my biggest complaint was how quickly I got through the book.  I have the opposite feeling about The Secret Keeper, it just felt really long.  I read most of my books on an older Kindle that doesn't show the number of pages, just the % read.  So without knowing how many pages each book is, in my ideal world these two books would trade lengths.
The next challenge: what to read next.
Other wins of the weekend:

Your turn:

  • What are you cooking this week?
  • What are you reading and watching?
  • What are your rules for DNF'ing a book?  For me, if it doesn't grab me right away, I either bail or speed read.  I've also heard of reading 100 pages before deciding or 100 pages minus your age.    

No comments:

Post a Comment