Monday, August 9, 2021

I need a minute!

 

Oops, I did not mean to ghost on the blog.  Adjusting to my new job is taking a hot minute and nothing very amazing is happening with our meals.  But I thought I'd pop in and at least shoot the breeze and tell you about a couple of TV and book things.

Food

When I started working with a running coach, I found myself starting to write less and less about running.  Now that I'm working with a dietitian, the same thing has happened with food.  Oh don't worry, I'll give you a tell-all on that whole process once we're done next week but in the meantime, I just don't feel like writing the same old "we ate mac n'cheese five nights this week" right now. 

But if you're looking for something good to make, we made shish tawook for dinner last night and it went over well.

Running

I'm doing a lot of it!  Nothing more to say than that.

Watching

A few years ago my husband and I dared each other to watch Showgirls (recounted here) which I summed up as "just one of those experiences that we needed to have together".  Well, all of those memories came back when we saw You Don't Nomi.  I think this is the closest that we will ever get to watching Showgirls for a second time.


Last weekend the boys were talking about Star Wars.  Now look I was born in 1975 so the movies were on pretty much 24/7 in the early 80's so in that sense I've seen them but I've never really seen them, you know.  You may have also picked up that family movies are something of a rarity these days since the boys are too cool to hang out with us.  Well, the boys just could not accept that I hadn't seen any of the movies so they insisted that we watch Episode Four.

 

It was one of the best family movie experiences we have ever had.  And...I really loved the movie.

And finally, speaking of the 80's...our latest show is Simon and Simon.  Hubs picked it to show the boys because it's a show about two brothers and their dog (the characters do have certain undeniable similarities to the boys).  The boys were predictably not very interested but the adults are very into it.

Reading

I've got some good books to pass along:

First of all, in my last post I had started Missing, Presumed by Susie Steiner and I wanted to come back and give it the official thumbs up.  I'm scratching my head over the "be warned: the content is a little rough" warning that I saw on Modern Mrs. Darcy....not so IMO.

Next up: All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood.  Modern Mrs Darcy's take "this book is NOT for everyone" agreed but it was for me and I tore through it.

And finally, I just started In a Lonely Place, which I learned about from the Sarah's Bookshelf Podcast.  I'm well familiar with the movie version (Humphrey Bogart) and so far the book is completely different (in a good way).  Winner!

What's Next

We're going on vacation next week!  I cannot wait.

I'm not sure what blogging will look like going forward...I may be irregular for a bit as I figure out work.  But I'll be here!



11 comments:

  1. Transitions need adjusting. No need to apologize. Blog when you can - but it's good to hear that things are good :) Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks San! It's so nice to be back on the beach.

      Delete
  2. So good to hear from you, Birchie!
    A new job takes a while to settle in. I'm sure you're doing really well and that your new employers are happy with you.

    And you're running lots, watching Star Wars and reading good books: fantastic! Looking forward to your dietician experience update.

    Meanwhile: enjoy your vacation! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catrina! I'm one day into beach life and enjoying it tremendously.

      Delete
  3. The food photo looks good!

    Thanks for the book recommendations. I'm just finishing up "When the Stars go dark" by Paula McLain, so I'll need something else to read.

    Enjoy your vacay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved, loved, loved When the Stars Go Dark. Such a good book.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear things are going well! Will be looking forward to an update of your new job, running, meals etc! I started re-reading the Harry Potter books this summer- I was just going to read the first one but somehow I'm now in book 4. I keep saying I'll take a break and read something else before moving on to the next one... we'll see.
    Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I only read the first book, but my stepsons adore those books and reread them frequently. There's no shame in the re-reading game;-)

      Delete
  5. A few winters ago, we watched the entire Star Wars collection. I'd seen some of the earlier movies, but totally lost interest in recent years. Well, the son (home on college break) reluctantly acted as my Cliff Notes (do they even exist anymore?) movie commentator...and kept me enlightened on who everyone was and how they all were connected to each other. I'm still not a SW fan, but I do have a better understanding of the story line...sort of. Now, if we were talking Harry Potter, I could recite almost every character and what they did to/for Harry and his family/friends LOL I've read that series numerous times, and miss the good old days when there was a new book coming out. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wondered what was up with you lately! I hope you had a great vacation. Glad the running is going well. We used to live and breath Star Wars when I was a kid, but I'm really not that excited about it. I'd rather watch Harry Potter :) [side note, I just saw Kim mentioned HP. I swear I didn't even see that!]. Looking forward to a weekly recap again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely hope you maintain your blog in some form. I would love to learn more about your job (although I know you like to keep the specifics out of it). And I would love to hear more about the types of things your nutritionist is having you do. I hope you enjoy vacation!

    ReplyDelete