Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Weekly Round Up Part 2 of 2: An 80's Movie Binge

 Last week I posted A Big Ol' Movie Roundup and today I'm here to report back.

  • I feel like Risky Business keeps coming up on my radar.  I hadn't seen it or thought about it since it came out (dear God that's awfully close to 40 years ago) and Tom Cruise is one of my least favorite actors but the chatter keeps coming so I was interested in taking another look.
  • I had never seen or for that matter heard of a movie called Heathers but it was on the roundup list and looked interesting.  Out of the movies that I asked for feedback on, this was the one that popped up on everyone's radar.  There's a mix of positive memories and a lot of "uh...it has subject matter that was fine in the 80s but probably isn't now."
  • My third watch isn't from the roundup list and do you even need me to tell you that it's from Unspooled?  I mean, where else do I get movie ideas from these days?  They just did an episode on Planes, Trains, and Automobiles so I wanted to see it in advance of listening to it.  As best I can remember I saw this when it came out and found it to be dull and cringe worthy.

This weekend I took advantage of the family being away at Boy Scout camp plus being overwhelmed with life and needing a break and got 'em done.

  • All three of these movies are spectacular in their own unique way.
  • Bonus points for two out of the three movies having ties to Chicago.  I grew up in Champaign, so whenever my closest childhood Big City gets representation I'm there for it.
  • The first time that I saw all of these movies was at the wrong point in my life!  Today I'm too old for one and the right age for the other two.
     

Here are the results in order watched:

Heathers

Going in: I've never heard of this movie before in my life.

Verdict: Wow but I wish so badly that I had known about this in high school.

Whazzit About:  We're in high school and The Heathers are three girls named Heather who have the mean girl thing on lock.  They've expanded their circle to include Veronica but they're about to drop her.  Unfortunately for them Christian Slater just transferred to their school and he puts Veronica's thoughts into actions.

My Two Cents: OMG yes I liked it but if I had known that this movie existed back in high school it would be on my list of favorite movies of all time.  As it is I appreciate this movie and came away with a bit of a crush on Christian Slater (who I've never thought about much one way or the other until now).

A Hot Take per IMDB: "one of the most controversial movies ever made about the high school experience. When it was released, detractors thought it was making fun of suicide. Now it's uncomfortably similar to many school shootings."  Yeah, I get that BUT high school is awful and the dark comedy genre is the appropriate place to explore these feelings.  Bravo!

Favorite line: how very.

Would I Watch it Again: I think this is a one time deal.  If I had seen it in high school though, I would have worn out the VHS.

Risky Business

Going in: I saw it when it came out, which would have been when I was eight.  Why?  Because I was an only child and I went everywhere that my parents went and saw everything that they saw.  I remember that it was a super cool movie at the time, but I didn't understand it (duh) or retain any of it apart from the underwear dance.  The other thing that you need to know if that I'm just not a Tom Cruise fan and it's not a Scientology thing or a jumping on couches thing.  I've been getting a "nails on chalkboard" kind of vibe from him since the mid 80's.

Verdict: Genius.  Epic Genius.

Whazzit About:  We're still in high school.  Joel is under pressure to improve his SAT score and get his grades up so that he can go to a Big Deal College and have a Big Deal Life ("the starting salary for an MBA is $40,000 a year!!!").  His parents go away on a trip and leave him home alone, which opens the door for one of his friends to wreck havoc by calling a "for a good time" number on his behalf.  A series of events unfolds and he soon finds himself putting the theory that he learned in business class to use in the real world.

My Two Cents: this is a biting satire on capitalism and the American Dream and it is genius.  One of the things that piqued my interest was an aside on the Unspooled podcast when it came up in a discussion about another movie.  One of the hosts made the comment "this is a movie that isn't about what you think it's about".  Tom Cruise didn't get on my nerves at all and my hat is off to him and Rebecca De Mornay for their epic performances.

A Hot Take: it's fair to say that this movie would not get made today.  On paper it's a movie about a teenager who hires a prostitute and gets himself in a whole heap of trouble and yeech what was wrong with everyone in the 80's that they were such pervs.  But when you sit down and watch it, everything works flawlessly.  In that way it kind of reminds me of Big where a 13 year old gets an adult body and does adult things.  These movies hold up.

Something that had me confused: like I said, I remember seeing the movie in the 80's but I also remember seeing it a lot.  Yes it's an epically good movie that my parents probably saw more than once but there's no way that they were watching it on repeat like I remember.  Oh wait a minute, what else was going on the in 80's....MTV!!!!!!!  The video is most likely was I was seeing on repeat.

Just Asking Though: just exactly how long was that vacation that Joel's parents were on?????  I lost track of the time frame that the story is supposed to take place in, but it's a few days to get Lana out to the house and another day to find her, organizing a big party, getting a car repaired...that's a long time.

Fun fact: this movie was filmed in Jenny's neighborhood.

Favorite line: Who's the U-Boat Commander?

Would I Watch it Again: Yes.  I think this would be a good one for date night.  And I just have to say again that I was caught off guard by how good this movie was.

Plates, Trains, and Automobiles

Going in: I saw it when it came out, but I did not have good memories.  I just remember it being about boring adult stuff.  I adore John Candy but Steve Martin is hit or miss for me. 

Verdict: My heart was warmed.


Whazzit About: Steve Martin is an advertising guy on a business trip in NYC during Thanksgiving week who's promised his wife that he'll catch the early plane out and make it home before the holiday.  But the Thanksgiving travel rush has other plans for him.

My Two Cents:   When I saw this movie in junior high I was expecting something along the lines of Caddyshack or Vacation.  This movie is not that and no wonder it bored me to tears back then.  Now that I'm watching it as a boring adult with travel war stories, a family, and life experience, this movie is funny, smart, and heart warming.

Favorite line: those aren't pillows

Would I Watch it Again: Absolutely! Especially around the holidays.  Again I was caught off guard between the difference in what I remembered and what I saw this weekend.

What's Your Two Cents?  Have you seen these movies and if so what do you think?  If you had a weekend alone with your dog what movies would you watch?

18 comments:

  1. I did love Heathers when I was a young teen - I saw it just when it came out, and many times after that. I had a huge crush on Christian Bale. Have you seen Pump Up The Volume? If not, I recommend it to go after Heathers. See what I mean about the story line though? You couldn't do that today, particularly at the end scene. Also also, one of the best lines in that movie is when that dad yells "I LOVE MY DEAD GAY SON."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I just came here to post exactly this. I loved heathers too, loved Christian Bale. And Pump Up The Volume was an absolute favourite too, I owned both on VHS and watched them a lot!

      Delete
    2. I'm taking notes...adding Pump Up the Volume to my watch list! I agree that this movie would not get made today but I'm glad that it got made then.

      Delete
  2. I have not seen Planes/Trains, but maybe now that I am a grownup it would be more appealing than it ever seemed when I was a kid.

    I get that exact same feeling from Tom Cruise. You described it perfectly. (I have, however, enjoyed several of his movies. He gets good roles even if he gives me the heebie jeebies.)

    Your comment about Christian Slater reminded me of Cuffs, which I haven't seen since high school and which I thought was HILARIOUS. I wonder if it is at all amusing to Adult Me? And then thinking of Cuffs reminds me of Ski School, which I also thought was the funniest movie to ever be made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I do like Tom Cruise in the right setting. Tropic Thunder, Collateral, the cameo where he makes fun of himself in Austin Powers...it's just that when he gets icky he gets icky...ew.

      I'll take more Christian Slater though! Adding Cuffs to the list.

      Delete
  3. They just reviewed PT&A on a podcast I listen to called Pop Mom! and now I'm starting to think I should watch it. Hm. Maybe. (I talk a bit talk. I won't watch it.) If I had time alone with my dog, I'd read lots of books. And maybe even read some of them aloud to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to talk you out of reading but...it is easier to snuggle with and pet the dog when you're not trying to hold a book;-)

      Delete
  4. Ah, so glad you liked Risky Business! I haven't watched it in a long time, and was wondering if i liked it so much because it's actually good, or if it was just my personal connection. But I trust your opinion, so it must be officially Good. (Oh, and it's funny you saw it when you were eight- I would say that's a LITTLE young...)
    I've never seen Heathers! And I saw Planes Trains years and years ago, in the theater- I really don't remember much about it. I should see it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it wasn't just "cool for the 80's", it's got staying power. The funny thing about seeing these movies so young is that there were a lot of things that I didn't understand but a lot of things that I did. Vacation and Fletch are two examples of movies that I liked and understood when I was 8 and still like and understand now. Risky Business and Desperately Seeking Susan are examples of movies that I completely didn't understand back then that I get now.

      Delete
  5. I honestly cannot remember seeing Heathers back in the day...but it sounds intriguing. Risky Business was ALL THAT when I was in high school (and I had a huge crush on Tommy back then, LOL). I have seen Planes, but it was when it first came out (I think?) and didn't have an appreciation for all the potential problems via traveling. I need to cue these all back up and have a look...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of these movies are great! I thought that Risky Business would just be cheesy and I was expecting something of a snooze from Planes but that wasn't the case at all.

      Delete
  6. We watched Planes, Trains, and Automobiles for the first time as a family this past Thanksgiving. My husband has been waiting for the right year and I guess this was it. (We used to watch Scent of a Woman every Thanksgiving, but I think the kids are old enough now that it's not quite appropriate so we'll shelve it for a year or two.) I desperately wanted to know more of John Candy's character's backstory. I think leaving him vague and a little underwritten was kind of more okay back in the 80s. But I thought it was a nice movie all in all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I think that they don't go into John's backstory because his character doesn't really change. He's just a guy on a journey. Steve Martin's character has the arc from being a jerk to becoming more human.

      Delete
  7. I've never seen Risky Business but definitely adding it to my list now. Heathers was a high school favourite of mine for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish so badly that I had known about Heathers back in the day!

      Delete
  8. I am very fond of all three of these movies, I'm glad you liked them! I agree about Tom Cruise, he's always seemed like kind of an idiot to me. Why? I have no idea. I loved him in Risky Business, though, and in Born on the 4th of July. Heathers, I saw that with my boyfriend (husband now) and another couple. 3 of us LOVED it, my friend HATED it, she said it was just too dark for her. AND, Planes, Trains and Automobiles is the first movie my husband and I ever saw in the movie theater. I like it fine, it's funny, but I have an especially soft spot for that reason. I was 21 and he was 22, and wow, that was 35 years ago. I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek the time between the 80's and now sure went by fast. 4th of July is another title that's been coming up and it's just a matter of time before I watch it.

      Delete
  9. I don't think I have seen any of them, maybe Risky Business? The scene screenshot in the YouTube Video looks familiar. I actually like Tom Cruise as an actor (don't care for his personal life), but I always thought he was MUCH BETTER at comedy than action movies.

    ReplyDelete