Monday, December 19, 2022

Weekly Round Up: Solstice Countdown

 

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads. We're so close to the most wonderful time of the year.  No, I'm not talking about Christmas, for me it's all about December 21st.  Let's get the darkest day of the year out of here and start working on getting our daylight back!

Food

The only exciting thing that I have to report is our Sunday dinner.  Flat iron steak, air fryer roasted frozen broccoli, and mashed potatoes.  It's simple but it's so good.

Up next: I've got my Christmas baking narrowed down and ready to start later this week.

Workouts

I finished Caroline Girvan's six week Fuel series, and overall my thoughts are...that I was ready to be done!  No seriously I have good things to say but by the end I was getting burned out on burpees.  I like strength and I like cardio, but the further that I went the more I felt like I was serving two masters.  As I mentioned last week, a lot of the cardio moves aren't things that I do well, so at best I was just going through the motions and at worst I felt like I was wasting time that could have gone to more strength or to better cardio.  But that's fine, it's only six weeks out of my fitness life and I want to get in a variety of workouts so it checked the box that I was looking for.

The Bullet Points:

  • I'm finding myself reaching for 15 and 20# dumbbells a lot more than when I started the series.  
  • Biggest improvement: hip thrusts.  I've had issues with these from the start.  Caroline rests her back on a chair so she's got a good range of motion to work through, but I just don't have anything down in the basement that I can lean on.  She puts a dumbbell on her pelvis with a towel for padding and I've always just been like "dude, I dunno about you but I've got bones there and BTW there isn't a towel in the world that's thick enough to make that comfortable".  So I had been rolling my eyes anytime hip thrusts have come up and phoning it in flat on the floor with body weight.  But thanks to seeing the same complaints on her Facebook group + reddit, I figured out that the workaround is to prop my feet up.  That gives me the missing range of motion which takes things from boring to "oh hey glutes, welcome to the party!".  Just for grins I'm suddenly willing to use an 8# weight, though I'm not sure if it really increases the resistance that much.
  • I'm going to take a break from the HIIT workouts for a while.  Like I said last week, they're just not my jam.  I'm not saying that I will never do one again, just that I'm taking a break.  TBD if I'll make Sundays a straight up treadmill power walking day or if I'll just start the next workout in the series a day early.
  • Pushup report: I've worked up to three sets of 10 that I do three times a week outside of the workouts.  The good news is that I feel decent at keeping good form and that I'm getting stronger, and the bad news is that I cannot ever imagine the day when I'm going to be able to do pushups within a workout after I've done any other upper body exercise.  When pushups come up in the workouts, I either do triceps dips (something that I'm OK at and would like to get better at) or wall sits (has nothing to do with upper body but I just like doing them).
  • FWIW my tolerance for cardio is increasing.  By the end of October I was fed up with high intensity cardio so I took a few weeks of just walking at a moderate pace on the treadmill for 20 minutes after the strength workouts.  After a few weeks of that I found myself craving the good stuff again, so I'm back to fast incline walking.

So what's next?  There are two weeks left in the year so I'm going to knock out a couple of the one week series.  Tempo week is up next, and then I'll do Pure Endure.  After that if she comes out with a new series in line with the new year that might be my next stop, and if she doesn't then I've got the 10 week Epic III penciled in.  ICYMI she has a bunch of 10 week "Epic" series but the word is that they don't have to be done in order and the workouts in Epic I and Epic II are closer to an hour but by Epic III she had things down to the 30-45 minute range, which is where I want to be for workout time.  Overall my goal is to keep lifting as the focus and to get as much variety as I can.

Watching

I'm plowing through False Flag at a rapid rate.  Of all of the Israeli shows that I've seen, I think that Shtisel will always be my favorite and Fauda has the #2 spot on lock.  False Flag is in the #3 spot and yay there was a new season this year though of course there is no word on when it will get to the US.  All of the other shows that I've seen ranged from excellent to "worth my time".

On the movie front, we kicked off a Christmas movie spree with The Muppet Christmas Carol.  I've had a longtime grudge against A Christmas Carol that dates back to my freshman year of high school where we spent an inordinate amount of time on it, but I have to admit that this thawed me out and I might possibly consider reading the original again some day.



Reading

I'm still working on Station Eleven, which if you're not familiar, is a dystopian novel about a pandemic that wipes out most of the world's population and takes the power grid with it.  I am certain that I would have found it too far fetched if I had read it in 2015 when it was published, I would have found it too close to home if I had read it in 2020 or 2021, and now is exactly the right time to have finally picked it up.

I love this book and I wish that I could put a pause on everything else in my life to gobble it down - as it is it will probably take me 2-3 days to finish it.  But I do have a quibble, and it's a consistent one that I've had with three out of the three books that I've read by this author.  My requirements for a book are: good writing, plot, and believable characters (I didn't say likeable characters, I just said believable ones).  With St. John Mandel there's no issue with writing or plot - she's got both of those on lock.  But IMO there is something about the way that she does people that's cold and makes it hard for me to bond with them.  I'm interested in the characters and their story lines, but there's nothing that's drawing me in to care about them. But in spite of that, I think that this is a book that will stay with me for a long time and if you haven't already I think that you should pick it up.

Question: have you read Station Eleven?  If so, did you read it before COVID?








17 comments:

  1. I did read Station Eleven pre-COVID (2018) and I think it's one of the only books I've said I wanted it to be longer. I LOVED it and wanted to spend more time in that world, which is weird because it's not a great world to live in, is it? I think all three of her books that I've read really stick with me and I think about them longer after I'm finished reading them. She writes on such a wide range of themes, but I find all of her writing powerful.

    All of that, though, I do not know if I could read it now. I have really struggled with reading about pandemics since COVID, so it's interesting that you think now is the perfect time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In general I'm not a fan of dystopian fiction so I think what drew me in is that it's a bit less dystopian thanks to recent events. Pre-2020 I would have just been like "Global pandemic? Too far fetched", and now it's easier for me to say "ooh this fictional pandemic started just like the real pandemic and yes I can make the leap on how the real pandemic could have been much worse and gotten us to the same place as Station Eleven."

      Delete
  2. Wow, you are really rocking the variety in your fitness world! And, way to go on the push-ups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what happens when you take running out of the equation;-)

      Delete
  3. I read Station Eleven right smack-dab in the middle of the pandemic. I loved it, but know what you mean about her characters. I still haven't read any other books by her, but have heard rave reviews.
    I hadn't ever read A Christmas Carol in its entirety until I listened to it on audiobook a few years ago and fell in love. I tried to convince the kids to let me read it to them last year but, alas, they were having none of it. Time is running out for me this holiday season, but I'd love to carve out the time to read it (especially one of those beautifully illustrated versions they have at the library). I was shocked how much I enjoyed the book, to be honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm going to have the same reaction when I revisit A Christmas Carol. I have got to read it again!

      Delete
  4. I think overall CG has made you get out of your comfort zone and try harder stuff. Well done, Birchie!
    I'm not very coordinated either with the HIIT stuff, but I do like that it gets my heart rate up.
    35-45 minutes are long enough for a fitness session, I'd go for the Epic III as well. I'm pretty sure that she will come out with something new for January - let's see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not read Station Eleven. I spoke with a girlfriend of mine and she loved it but told me "It's not a Nicole book" and so I am going to trust her advice, as she knows my reading style. I am not good with dystopian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, dystopian is not my thing either. I think that the pandemic made it less dystopian if that makes sense.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for that review on the Fuel Series. I will not be doing that, because I can't do burpees. This wrist issue is really bumming me out, because I also can't do normal pushups with my hands flat on the floor. I HATE having to modify moves in workouts because then I don't feel like I'm getting the full effect. I still have a couple workouts left in Iron and am not sure where I'm going next.
    That's a great review of Station Eleven- I'll see if I can get it from the library.
    I want to hear more about your holiday baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...now that I'm a few days in to more traditional strength workouts I have to say...maybe I'm not such a fan of Fuel after all. I don't miss all of the half hearted cardio.

      The odds are very good that a baking recap will be coming your way next week!

      Delete
  7. I just finished the Glass Hotel last night. I read Sea of Tranquility first. I liked Sea of Tranquility a lot, the Glass Hotel slightly less. You are right that the characters are interesting but not really engaging. I have Station Eleven on hold at the library and hoping it comes in soon. I like that Glass Hotel and Sea of Tranquility sort of overlap...? Very clever/interesting way of world building. Reminds me more of science fiction writers than general fiction. Interesting to hear your take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read either one of those books so maybe I will check them out. I read The Singer's Gun and the Lola Quartet which had less of the "other world" vibe to them.

      Delete
  8. I just read Station Eleven last month and loved it. Your comment about how the author depicts her characters seems really on the money -- there is definitely some sort of remove from each character that does make them hard to bond with. I haven't read any of her other books yet but plan to! She is a gifted storyteller for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I think I need to step up my strength game. I only have 8lbs weights and I consider them heavy - I am such a cardio junkie!

    I think I am the only person that was kinda 'meh' about Station Eleven. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I picked up Station Eleven, did not have the mental bandwidth for it (not due to the dystopian nature but more because it was end of semester and I was brain dead...), and hope to get back to it soon. Even in the little bit I read, though, I can totally see what you are talking about with the characters. I think you put it perfectly. I still want to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete