Monday, October 16, 2023

Let's Go Places: Columbus, Ohio

 

It's travel time again!  Instead of taking a long weekend trip in September, I made a quick overnight trip to Grand Rapids, hung out with family on Boy Scout camp weekend, and then something came up that had me leaving home again the week after that.  Our destination this time is Columbus, Ohio.

This trip was kind of for work, if you want to stretch the point.  One of the founders of my previous company recently passed away, and the other founder held a casual memorial gathering for him.  The guest list was all of us old timers, and although the event was being held in the middle of the week, it took me all of 0.01 seconds to decide to go.

As it happens, CBUS had been on my travel agenda for a while.  I went there with my parents for a day trip in high school, and I used to work for a company that was headquartered there.  I've made a billion work trips over the years, but sadly that just means that I've spent a lot of time in offices and in hotels with precious little experience of the city.  

My agenda was:

  • Arrive in CBUS on Sunday and do the tourism thing.
  • Do an experimental "work from anywhere" stint on Monday and Tuesday to see if it will work to do mini digital nomad trips while the rest of the family to does the Boy Scout thing.
  • Attend the memorial event on Tuesday evening.
  • Go home on Wednesday.

I looked at places to stay and was delighted to find that CBUS is easy on the wallet.  I remembered German Village fondly from the day trip in high school, and found a sweet little condo there with a dedicated work space.  Now to plan the rest of the trip: I knew that German Village has a ton of stuff to do and has an epic bookstore, there are museums galore, parks, nature, and the State Capitol building.  I didn't have enough time to do everything but I was determined to put a dent in the list.

Sunday - wheels up

I arrived in the fair city of CBUS in the morning and my first stop was the Ohio History Center museum. 

From there, my next visit was the State Capitol.  I had never been to one before, but I'd heard rave reviews about CBUS's tours.  Cost: $0.

The city seemed absolutely empty.  I walked into the capitol building and went through security.  The guard told me that the tour had started 10 minutes before, so I could either try and catch up, or just roam around until the next tour started on the hour.

I rushed down the hall.  There was one man at the desk, and I asked him how to catch up with the tour.

He chuckled and said "you just did".

When I started my local tourism hobby last year, it made me uncomfortable when I was the only person on a tour.  Now it's one of my favorite things.


If there was one thing that I was not expecting the state capitol to be, it was pink.  The guide told me that it was considered to be a power color back in the day.

I can't speak for other state capitols (yet), but Ohio has a "this is the people's building" attitude.  Yes they do government stuff here, but they also rent it out for events and they are very open to tourism.

My next stop was the Kelton House.  Today you would describe the location as being in the heart of Columbus, but when it was built the area was on the outskirts of the city, and it was the only house there.  The owners said they chose the location because they liked being out in the country away from the hustle and bustle...

...and the reason thay liked being away from it all was something that came to light after the fact.  The Keltons were staunch Abolitionists and they walked their talk.  From the ground up the Kelton House was a posh mansion but below the surface their basement was a stop on the Underground Railroad.


I failed to get a picture of the outside of the house, but in its place let me give you the best reminder I've ever seen to respect the furnishings in a museum.

Any rate, the tour was phenomenal, so if you ever find yourself in CBUS with $10 in your pocket, I highly recommend it.

My next stop was a walk down the street to Topiary Garden.


And now it was time to go to my home away from home.  I headed over to German Village.

This is an area of the city that was settled by German immigrants in the 1800s, hence the name.  The area fell into decline from WWI to WWII when Germany and all things German took a PR beating, and then in the 50's the tide turned and it was decided that this was a cool neighborhood worth saving and preserving.

I checked into the Airbnb and hit the streets.  The Must Go place is The Book Loft.

If you've ever been here, you know that I laid eyes on every single book that I've either read or intended to read in the past 10 years.  I know that independent bookstores have had it rough, but this is one place that will never go out of business.

In the end I didn't buy anything but I was tempted...

 

Life in CBUS

I spent the next phase of the trip being a cool urban sophisticate.  I worked during the day (yawn) and went on long walks around the hood on my off hours.  The nice thing about German Village is that it's walkable for both the neighborhood and also to downtown.  I didn't touch my car from the time that I got to the Airbnb to the time that I went to the event on Tuesday.

I've been running a bit off and on, and I'll leave it for you to guess why I didn't run during my stay in German Village....

In fairness all of the sidewalks aren't all this bad, but a lot of them are due to the realities of brick sidewalks on tree lined streets.  In a perfect world I could have run on the path at Schiller Park, but this time of year there isn't enough daylight before work to get there.  Also it was freakishly hot that week so running at lunch or at night was out of the question.

Finally Tuesday evening rolled around, so I was out on the town to meet up with my old work tribe.  At this point none of us work for the original company, so it was just a meeting of friends.  Quite a few people were there from my part of the world, and it was my first time seeing them in person since the 'rona.  I mostly had a Zoom relationship with the CUBS folks anyway, but it was nice to see them in person (one last time?  Who knows).

CBUS Eats

I have two shout outs: 

  • Katzingers Deli is a landmark German Village eatery.  I overstayed at the Book Loft so it was one of the few places that was still open on Sunday night.  I got a small reuben, and the portion size was just right.  I love reubens, but normally I find they have too much corned beef so I usually end up pulling most of it off the sandwich.  Katzingers got the proportions right so that every bite had a little bit of everything and not too much of anything.  If I had it to do all over again, I would have gotten a side of coleslaw.
  • Winner Winner Not a Chicken Dinner...4th and State is a vegan diner in downtown CBUS, which just so happened to be within walking distance.  I had the buffalo chick'n salad and it was to die for.  I deeply regret only having one meal here during my stay and hope to return.


 

Let's Wrap it Up

  • CBUS as a tourist destination: 10/10.  I liked everything that I did and there are a gazillion things that I didn't get to.  I'd love to take my family here sometime, though the reality is that once they got into the Book Loft they'd never come out.
  • CBUS as a walkable city: 10/10.  I was stunned at the number of places that I was able to get to on foot.
  • CBUS as a driveable city: 2/10.  I really can't say that traffic was that bad, but I really don't like driving in CBUS.  I don't have a good grasp of the geography, GPS is weird, and overall it's just miserable.  I drove to the event on Tuesday only because I knew it would be dark by the time that I left, and the short drive was harder than the drive to and from CBUS.
  • Meeting up with old coworkers that I have no current professional ties with to pay tribute to one of our own: 10/10 (I mean, 0/10 for the reason but 10/10 to see them).
  • Being a digital nomad for a few days: mixed results.
    • Positive: I was able to do my job and my current coworkers had no idea that I was traveling - I didn't intend to hide it but it just never came up in the conversation so I didn't tell them.  Because of the time zone difference I was able to work in the Airbnb until checkout time on Wednesday and they were none the wiser that I drove home in the middle of the day.
    • Negative #1: my job requires a laptop PLUS TWO large monitors.  I considered trying to skate by with just one, and with the projects that came up out of nowhere I am glad that I did not.  The condo had one monitor so it wasn't that big a deal to bring the second one from home, but if I went anywhere else I'd need to bring two.  That pretty much means I can only work from places that I can get to by car, or I'd need to find a coworking place on the road.  
    • Negative #2: the condo had a dedicated work space, but the desk chair wasn't great, so by the end of each day I felt the strain in my back and neck.  
    • Negative #3: my job sucks in general and being alone doesn't improve the situation.  Having my family around really takes the edge off.  While I do want to do some amount of travel in this season of being able to do my job from anywhere while the fellas are tied down at home, I'm probably not going to go gallivanting off very far or for very long.

 That's all for CBUS!  Who's been there?




24 comments:

  1. I need to go to Columbus, especially that German Village! Walkable places just make life so much better.
    That Katzinger sandwich looks delicious - it looks like it's made with German bread, too.
    For some time, I worked out of Florida for Switzerland. I got up at 3am because of the time difference. I didn't mind that, but I did notice that even though my surroundings were beautiful (beach view), it didn't make up for being tied to a desk most of the day. I get your Negative #3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could come here for the marathon! From what I understand it's very flat and very awesome.

      Delete
  2. "when Germany and all things German took a PR beating" - I laughed out LOUD. Not even an LOL an actual LAUGH OUT LOUD. I have never been to Ohio at all but those gardens make me want to go. How pretty! Also, "the last person who sat on this chair is dead" cracks me up.
    I'm impressed at all the vegan food you find. When I stopped eating meat, there were so few vegetarian options, let alone vegan, that I would have to order things like "the club sandwich, but no meat or cheese." It's so nice things are more available now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CBUS is a really special town - a big city with lots of green spaces.

      It all goes back to Calgary - I would never have known to look for vegan food if it wasn't for all of the Cheap Lazy Vegan videos that I've watched. And you're right, when I was dabbling in vegetarianism in the late 90s the options were: tofu if the grocery store had it, TVP from the funky bulk foods co-op, and beans. That was it.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE being on a tour solo. I tend to want to ask a lot of questions and it can get tricky with a big group. The smaller the better for me :) Then again, I'm a pretty big introvert and get overly stimulated.

    The food all looks amazing, as usual, and I love that pink lobby. What a beautiful building. I love when public spaces have gorgeous aesthetics. Makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, the capitol is very... square! And squat! I love seeing all the different capitol buildings! The floor in the pink room is stunning.

    I need to note that restaurant for the next time I am there. Every time I'm in Ohio I got to Melt for a vegan grilled cheese but it's time to expand my horizons. LOL.

    Yay for work covering the trip. Boo for the monitor and chair issue I have 3 external monitors at home and struggle with only 1 when I got in to the office. I get you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh, is the Capitol small or is everything around it just big? Or both;-)

      We haven't been to Melt in a long time! Mostly because we're still full from the last time years ago lol. The next time we go I'll have to try their vegan grilled cheese.

      Eek on 3 monitors. You've definitely got it worse than I do.

      Delete
  5. I've never been but now I want to! I love these solo trips you do ;-) CBUS really looks nice and traveler-friendly. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I'll tell you the same thing that I told Catrina: THE COLUMBUS MARATHON!!!!!!

      Delete
  6. There is a store in the German Village in Columbus called Helen Winnemore's and I'm essentially obsessed with it and I've only ever been there twice, but I've dropped hundreds of dollars each time I've been there and it's amazing and wonderful and basically all I ever think about when I think about Columbus. I mean, also that my best friend lives there. I'm so jealous you were able to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get mad get even!!!!

      I just looked at the Helen Winnemore website and I recognize those designs! I'm sure that I walked by the store many times while I was there.

      Delete
  7. I've never been there! It looks really nice though (other than the brick sidewalks in German Village- I can see why you didn't run.) I want to go to that bookstore! I could happily take a solo trip here, but sadly the odds of me going to a random city in the midwest at this point are slim. I'll pass the info along to my sister though- she and her husband could go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure how far it was from CHI to CBUS so I took a look - just 5.5 hours so not so bad. But get this, on the way they'd go through Lafayette Indiana (FLW), Indianapolis (cool city that I'd like to visit), plus a slew of small towns that I visited this weekend. So it would be a baller trip!

      Delete
  8. I've always wanted to spend a week in a different city working from an Airbnb. But I also work with two external monitors and my work laptop is TINY so I'd need to figure that out. My friend who travels a lot for work has a portable monitor that's easy to travel with/lightweight/etc, so that's an option if I ever get up the gumption to book a trip like this.

    The Book Loft looks AMAZING. I'd go to Columbus just for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun experiment. I've seen the portable monitors, but I've also seen the huge Excel files that we work with...it's not pretty. And yes the Book Loft is epic.

      Delete
  9. Such a bummer of a reason for a trip, but I suppose that is the one benefit of death, right? Bringing our loved ones together to celebrate our memory.

    I have been to Columbus, several times! My husband interviewed there for residency and fellowship. The science museum and zoo are amazing, at least when you have a little kid. I think I have also been to the Book Loft (and stayed in German Village!), but that was pre-parenthood, so it was awhile ago. I guess I need to go back.

    The multiple screens issue definitely makes things complicated. Back when I worked full time remote, I worked ALL over the place... but I just had a laptop, so it was extremely portable. But I completely understand what you mean about it being kind of lonely. (My job was also soul sucking.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely want to go to COSI the next time we're there. The kids want to go and I'm hoping that we can find the time for it. Though if I ever took them there I think they'd walk into the Book Loft and never come out.

      Delete
  10. I have never been to Columbus, or really to Ohio (only the airport and I do not count that), but it looks like a fun place! I especially like the look of the German village; those sidewalks remind me of running when I was living in New Orleans!

    My job is so much easier with two monitors but I can get by with a laptop in a pinch; it is just much more tedious and slow and I am probably not doing my eyesight any favors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The airport doesn't count;-) I traveled so much for work when I was younger and only saw airports, freeways, hotel rooms, and office. Such a waste.

      Delete
  11. What a great visit! I've never been to Columbus either. The only time I've traveled and worked, I just used my laptop, and yes, I really missed my two big monitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In previous jobs I've been able to make it work with just the laptop. This job...no.

      Delete
  12. Oh, I love it.. I have never been to Columbus (or the Midwest in general) but there's much to see. German Village sounds delightful.... and that bookstore!

    I have more flexibility with my job and could technically work from anywhere, but I also have two big monitors at home that I would sorely miss if I didn't have them... I can squeeze by with my laptop screen, but it's not ideal. I do a lot of visual stuff and multiple spreadsheets. Why do you use two monitors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lotsa spreadsheets with lotsa columns and lotsa projects...I just couldn't do this particular job with only my laptop monitor.

      Delete