Monday, January 15, 2024

Weekly Round Up: Currypalooza

 


A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  In this week's edition I launched Currypalooza 2024, cooked up a bunch of seasonally appropriate eats, and as usual I've got movies and books to talk about.

Eats

All of my foodie folks have been talking about Japanese curry lately.  It's a go-to for Cheap Lazy Vegan and Sarah's Vegan Kitchen, and in Cool Blogger circles Suzanne is a fan.  It was only a matter of time before I tried it for myself.  

I'm on a quest to try All the Currys, so I picked three things that looked interesting at the Asian market.

First up, Japanese curry.  I had a bit of trouble understanding the instructions on the box - the box had five cubes of curry roux and it said to use one per person and 2.5 cups of water...but was that 2.5 cups per cube or for the whole box?  I just wasn't getting it.  I winged it from some CLV and Sarah videos.  I sauteed some onion while I chopped up two potatoes and two carrots, and then simmered everything until the potatoes were tender in as much water as it took to cover the potatoes (4 cups for me personally).  I added a pack of frozen fried tofu later in the cooking process.  Once the potatoes were tender I dropped in the curry cubes and ended up using the full pack of five.

I can't describe the taste except to say that all of the people that I mentioned above would not steer you wrong.  I got the "hot" version which wasn't spicy at all and you know I like my spicy foods but it was so good that I'm not complaining.  I guess my only complaint is that I didn't realize that the pack that I got was only for a single recipe;-)  The cooking effort was "embarrassingly easy".  This is something that I think would work for family dinners and I'll let you know when I try it.  Sarah posted her recipe after I made the curry,  so the next time I make it I'll try her add ons (Worcestershire sauce makes everything better.  Coffee?  I'm intrigued).

Next up I made the Mabo tofu.  I picked it up because it sounded familiar, looked interesting, and it was near the Japanese curry.  At home with some help from Google I now know that Mabo is the Japanese version of Chinese Mapo sauce.

The instructions said to serve it with tofu and ground beef?????  Look obviously I eat meat but the combination sounded weird so I skipped it.  I sliced up a block of tofu and sprayed it with oil and seasoned salt and cooked it in the air fryer while I sauteed some onion and red pepper.  Once the tofu was done I added it and the sauce.

The result was perfectly fine but also perfectly ordinary, so I think this Mabo sauce is a one time purchase.  I kind of want to try Mapo to see what the difference is.  Let's put a pin in Currypalooza for now.  As soon as I finish the leftovers and I'll try the Massaman curry.

For family dinners, we took advantage of the cold and made some seasonal meals.

Shepherd's Pie on Saturday:


Gimme Some Oven's Beef Stew on Sunday.  I can't remember if I've ever made this particular recipe but I don't think I have so I'm counting it toward my goal to make 10 new recipes for family dinner this year.  I did NOT sear the beef first - in theory it sounds great but I think I heard somewhere that it doesn't really make a difference for a stew like this so I skipped it to save time.  I DID follow the suggestion to sub a cup of red wine for some of the beef broth.  This went over very well on a frigid day and between this and the Shepherd's Pie we have leftovers galore for the upcoming week.


Finally the best leftover save this week was my Sunday morning breakfast.  I had just a little chickpea salad leftover and I finally remembered to use it to make a "tuna" melt.  I toasted the English muffin, added the chickpea salad, and then topped it with a slice of cheddar and ran it through the air fryer for a minute to melt the cheese.  It was a yum, so I just need to remember this for the next time I make the salad.


Workouts

  • I'm still loving the 3-12-30 workout (3 MPH, 12% incline, 30 minutes)
  • For strength, I switched over to just some basic strength moves.  I'm doing the 5x5 program,  which is just a few simple moves - 5 sets of 5 reps.  Taking 90 seconds rest between sets felt like a little much, so I'm just taking 30 seconds of rest - if that's good enough for all of those Caroline Girvan workouts that I did then that's good enough for this.  Anyways, I like it and I also like that it takes 15 minutes so my morning workout time is down to 45 minutes total.
  • I was able to take a long lunch on Friday and get in a hike for my winter hiking challenge.  I timed it exactly right because the minute I got back to my car the wind and the rain that kicked off this weekend's storm started up.  After that the temperature got below the level that I'm willing to take a two hour hike in, so the hiking project is on hold until it warms back up.

 

I giggled at having to climb over ONE tree on the trail.  It was a far cry from Tree Trunk Beach on Pelee Island last summer.

Watching

On the TV front, I finished season one of Upright and it was so good.  I'll start season two soon.

In couples' movie news, Hubs and I went on a blast to the past on Friday.  Fletch is on my list of all time favorite movies that I saw as a kid that have not gotten old with the passing of time.


Finally, let's start the transition from movies to books with a read-the-book-or-see-the-movie pairing.  I finished reading No Highway which is one of my all time favorite books, so it was time to see No Highway in the Sky again.  I hadn't seen it in a long time and from what I remembered it wasn't as good as the book but it had some good actors.

What I like better about the movie: the title.  I dunno, there's something about the extra words that pack a punch. 

What I like better about the book: everything else.

This video on the movie is a bit longer than I like to link to but if you've got 7 minutes and want a summary of the story plus the real life eerily similar aviation disaster that happened a few years later, this is a good watch:


The story is about an aviation engineer who's testing a theory that a new line of airplanes will experience metal fatigue after 1,440 hours of flight.  The problems are that his theory is inconvenient if true and being an engineer, he's one kooky bird who is into a lot of strange stuff in the name of science.  The book is narrated by his boss, who has to figure out where the truth lies between the extremes: are people's lives in danger or is the engineer a nut?  Or are both these things true?

Where the movie stumbles is that the engineer in the book is clearly Not Sexy - the whole point is how do you receive a message when the messenger is odd?  But no one was making movies in 1950 that were centered around Not Sexy Kooks, so the substitution was James Stewart playing the Absentminded Professor.  He may not be able to recognize his own house because all the houses on his street look alike but by golly he knows his metal fatigue.  Stewart is good, but he's not the character from the book, and the gosh oh gee I don't know my left hand from my right but I know that plane is going to fall out of the sky act wears thin.  The other actors in the movie are (1) terrific and (2) true to the book.

The movie also leaves out most of the action surrounding the engineer's daughter.  In the book he's a single dad who has good intentions but borderline neglects his kid and uses her in a psychic experiment that leads to finding the wreckage of one of the planes.  For some reason the movie doesn't want to deal with the neglect, so the accident that the kid has while the father is away doesn't happen.  The result is that everyone just happens to be hanging out at the engineer's house and poking their noses into his business because that's what people in old movies do - in the book they are there to look after the kid, but in the movie version nothing happens so there's just no reason for it.  I guess the psychic experiment didn't make it past the censors, but it was a much better story than the Hollywood "hey we just happened to find the wreckage at a convenient time for the story because it was that easy".

In the book the answer to is-this-plane-dangerous-or-is-this-guy-crazy gets worked out over time.  In the movie we get to 90 minutes in and it's time to wrap it up so everyone decides that it's Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Stewart does a filibuster in a meeting and all of a sudden everything happens at once and boom we have our answer.  So book>>>>>movie but it was fun to see the movie as well.

Reading

It's no secret that my dog's death last November kicked off a comfort reading spree.  That's the reason for the Nevil Shute rereads and the Sue Grafton's Alphabet series.  I've still got more to go with those, but this week marked a shift in that I was finally ready to read something else.

The non-comfort book is Pete and Alice in Maine by Caitlin Shetterly.  It's March 2020 and a couple with marriage problems flees NYC to hunker down in their vacation home in Maine.  I've heard about this book in a few places, but it was Lisa's suggestion that it plays well with You Could Make This Place Beautiful that got me to pick it up.  If you think it's strange to read two books about troubled marriages in a row, all I can say is that it's a lot better than the time that I read two domestic violence books back to back.

Anyways, Pete and Alice is very good.  There are some parallels to You Could Make this Place Beautiful so for that reason it's really fun to read them as a pair.

I'm in a lull with podcasts which is fine since it means more audio books instead.  I started Die With Zero: Getting All You Can from Your Money and Your Life by Bill Perkins which is a hot It book with the FIRE crowd.  It's a good read for my situation where in theory I could stop working but I'm hanging on to a job that I don't really like just 'cuz.  Lots of food for thought in this one.

Peace out!  Stay warm everyone!

27 comments:

  1. That strength workout sounds great and should be very effective with the 3-12-30 cardio. Are you doing the strength every second day or every day?

    I told my dad (a big Nevil Shute fan) about No Highway. He remembered it and went to look for it in his bookshelves but couldn't find it. We then watched the trailer of the movie.
    I ordered the book for him as a surprise. It will take a few weeks to arrive, which will make the surprise even bigger.
    Thanks for mentioning it, Birchie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for your dad! He will love getting to read No Highway again. And it will be all the better since the book will come as a surprise. It's just one of those books that really is that good. I don't know about you, but it's very hard for me to surprise my parents with anything so getting him the book is a huge coup!

      3x a week for strength!

      Delete
  2. I just put Pete and Alice on hold - did you read Lucy By The Sea? It was similar in concept, except it was the divorced Lucy Barton with her ex-husband sheltering in Maine during the pandemic. It turns out that I kind of like reading books about the pandemic, as long as they don't deal with the actual illness. I like reading about people sheltering in place, and I never thought that I would. Well, here we are.
    Japanese curry sounds interesting and I've never tried it, but maybe I'll pull together a Thai curry tonight, I have all the ingredients! Then I can join currypalooza.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore everything about shelter in place! I know it's a weird thing to say, but it was an incredibly happy time for our family. One thing that I can't get enough of is when I watch "old" reality shows or podcasts and see them try to adjust to lockdown. All of which is to say that I'm making a note about Lucy by the Sea. *Everyone* loves the Lucy Barton books and I've just never gotten around to them.

      If I had to pick a favorite curry, it would be Thai. Yum!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, Currypalooza!!! I'm into it! I almost always make Thai curry, but I want to try Japanese (what's the difference? I guess I'll find out!) I'll see if I can order the Japanese curry cubes on Amazon because I don't think I"ll make it to an Asian market any time soon.
    I'm LOVING A Town Like Alice! Which Shute should I read next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost impossible to describe what curry tastes like, isn't it? Japanese curry is nothing like Thai. It's closer to Indian but it's not that either. It's just a yummy thing.

      I'm so happy that Alice is a hit! It's a big responsibility to recommend books. He wrote so many great books so where to go next? Well No Highway is pretty great. My all time favorite book of his, and possibly my favorite book ever is The Far Country. It's got a similar flavor to Alice - a young woman is living a dreary life in post WWII England and then she gets a chance to go to Australia and everything is magically better. I think my next Shute will be On the Beach. It's his most famous novel but I don't remember it at all - so I'm very curious if this is a book that I didn't like or if his other books were just so good that I don't remember this one. It's a mystery.

      Delete
  4. Because I don't like to know what books are about before I start them, I accidentally read two books about domestic violence right in a row and they were good books, but boy did I feel defeated by life after that. Reading about marriages in peril always makes me sad, too. Right now I have to be careful about reading too much about the pandemic, domestic or sexual violence, or marriage in peril. Pretty soon I'm going to limit myself right out of books to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't plan book pairings, and like you I'd rather go into a book blind, so that kind of adds to the surprise when I end up reading two books about the same thing back to back. At least this time I knew what I was getting into, and the writing on both books is so delightful that it almost doesn't matter what they're about.

      Let's just say that it will be a very long time before I read another Liz Nugent book - as much as I loved Strange Sally Diamond it was just too much!

      Delete
  5. Although I'm not a curry fan (same goes for tofu, LOL), those dishes do look tasty. Kudos for all your adventurous undertakings in your kitchen ;-) Yeah, this cold weather has got me major stir crazy! I'm craving a long power walk in the worst way, but not in the -20F weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the time of year for staying inside for sure. It won't last forever but it feels like it about now.

      Delete
  6. I love how adventurous you are with trying new foods! And I am totalling laughing at the idea of adding beef with tofu. LOLOLOL.

    So I ran into a gym buddy at a different gym (long story LOL) and she had just finished 3-12-30 and I knew what it was since I read your blog! Thank you!

    I am glad you got one last hike in. I am taking most of an outdoor break right now too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look I shouldn't knock it until I've tried it, but tofu plus meat just sounds so bizarre.

      Woot for the 3-12-30 club! We're everywhere!

      It looks like we've got "cold as balls" weather through this weekend and then things will get better. I'm making the most of the indoor time while it lasts.

      Delete
  7. Yay for Japanese curry! I am excited for your Massaman experiment, too. The beef with tofu dish baffles me. Beef with tofu? That just seems wrong.

    So glad you got another hike in, while the weather was decent. We did some skiing this weekend but it was a little too cold for my taste.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Japanese curry is a very handy thing to have up my sleeve for dinner. I was curious about from the Youtubers but your review was the final selling point.

      We need some moderation with this weather! How about a month or so of "cold enough for snow but not so cold that it's painful to go skiing" and then we can go back to spring? Would that work for everyone?

      Delete
  8. I am so glad you're still doing the 3-12-30. I have completely fallen off the wagon as I've focused on daily walks + daily yoga. But I am craving a sweat session tomorrow and hope to do an inclined walk again. They're very effective for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now we're in a deep freeze so treadmill workouts are particularly attractive. But if being outside is an option for you, I say go for it!

      Delete
  9. I am glad you liked Pete and Alice in Maine! If/when we cross paths, we have to talk about that ending! I seemed to have read a lot of marriage in crisis type of books lately... or more are being published lately, perhaps because of the pandemic? I imagine sheltering in place was VERY HARD on some marriages... Now I'm reading a non-fiction book about 7 essential conversations to strengthen a marriage. If someone was looking over my reading and trying to analyze it, they would probably think my marriage was in trouble or something. I don't even know how this marriage conversation book landed on my libby hold list. And so much of the content isn't applicable as the author gives examples of EXTREMELY volatile relationships, and well, my husband and I are both midwesterners of German decent so we don't really do volatile? But hopefully I take something away from the book?

    I had no idea there was such a thing as Japanese curry. I love curries so I am intrigued but I also fear those little flavor cubes would not be gluten free... I need to investigate when I'm at the grocery store next...

    Speaking of adaptations, I'm slowly working my way through Lessons in Chemistry on Apple TV. I like it so far. I don't like how they changed the friend across the street, Harriet, but I suppose there was a reason for that... But I think Brie Larson is nailing the vibes of the main character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much to say...I do like an ending that's open to interpretation but wowza! Starting in the fall of 2020 I definitely saw an increase in spousal and child support orders coming across my desk in payroll. By contrast the pandemic was such a happy time for our family - tell us that we have to stay at home and only be with each other and it's a dream come true.

      I'm going to have to look up the 7 conversations book. I'm curious! The Hubs and I both have German descent and our greatest weakness as a couple is that we don't know how to fight. And we don't fight very often so the odds are that we will never learn, so I guess we're OK after all.

      I'm curious about the TV version of Chemistry and I need a new show so maybe I'll check it out. They changed Harriet though? Hmmm...

      Delete
    2. Don't read 7 conversations. It was a dud for me and such a slog. The dramas showcased in the book were so hard for me to wrap my mind around because I can't imagine us ever fighting like that! Phil and I aren't really fight either. We might have some cross words about something but it's very very, um, waspy conflict I guess I would say?

      Delete
    3. Noted! It seems like there are many worse things than not knowing how to disagree with your spouse.

      Delete
  10. I've heard really good things about Pete and Alice in Maine. I have a hold for the audiobook. I really like pandemic storylines! It's interesting to see how authors are choosing (or not choosing) to write about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished P&A last night. I have some quibbles with the ending but it was an overall excellent book. Pandemic Lit is my jam.

      Delete
  11. I will be interested to hear what you think of Die With Zero when you are done. On one hand, I like the concept; on the other, sometimes fad books are not my jam. So I am looking forward to your review. On a side note, I just finished two books that were your recommendations -- Bad City and Choosing to Run -- and I enjoyed both of them! Thanks!

    I actually like the Mabo tofu curry usually, but found that it is NOT hot, which is not really my favorite, but is good for a mixed crowd and is super easy to make. I usually make my own curry with spices, but a friend of mine does not love cooking and for her, the Mabo is just super easy. So maybe it is convenience = 5, taste = 3. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say that Die With Zero is worth a listen. He tells a very stupid story over and over about how when he was young and broke his boss made fun of him for saving $1,000 instead of living his life - just sayin' when I was young and broke I found it very handy/necessary to have money in the bank. Other than that it was a very worthy listen for folks like me who are at FI and who do not finding work fulfilling but keep clinging on to our jobs.

      The Mabo leftovers were SO BLAND so this will definitely be a one time purchase. Oh well, now I know.

      Delete
  12. Yum. Beef Stew. I haven't made that in forever, same with curry. Great suggestions to spice up the meal plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter is the perfect time for cozy food like this.

      Delete
  13. Oooh, curry. I read Suzanne's post about the Japanese curry and was intrigued; I am even more intrigued now! I shall see if I can find it around me. :) We are getting a new "International market" in our old Whole Foods space down the street, so maybe?

    Also! I tried the miso tofu today for the first time and will report back!!! :)

    ReplyDelete