Monday, February 5, 2024

Weekly Round Up: The Days are Long

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  This was a week of long but delightful days with our new puppy.  In other news we tried a new stir fry, I've got workout musings, and a read-the-book-or-see-the-movie went down.

Spoiler alert: I will be discussing the book/movie On the Beach.  I can't figure out how to do it without spoilers, but I've kept them as vague as I can manage.  Skip that section if you don't want the deets.

Doggo Report

We are now one week into our new lives with Doggo.  ICYMI from last week, she is a five month old Shepherd mix who has lived in shelters for three months.  In adoption circles, there is the rule of 3-3-3: the first three days dogs are overwhelmed by their new environment, during the next three weeks they settle in, and after three months they feel fully at home.  I'd say that Doggo pretty much cleared the "3 day hump" after two nights with us and is well on her way into the second 3.

I don't have previous puppy experience to compare, but as expected she's pretty much full time hands on.  Having a puppy is not for the faint of heart!  Right now the days are a little long, but they are also delightful and this is temporary.  One day we will have a Grown Up Dog again and we'll look back on the time that Doggo was small enough to curl up in our laps.  

Right now either Hubs or I are always with her during our waking hours, with both of us being there as often as we can.  At night she goes into her crate, and she usually needs a bathroom break sometime in the night.  Hubs takes most of the wake ups.   I take the first outing of the day when I get up so that Hubs can focus on daddy duty, and then I workout while Hubs takes over.  Work is busier for me in the mornings so Hubs takes the first half of the workday and I take the afternoons.  I'm on evening duty so that Hubs can get all of his night things done, and we're both around at the end of the evening for a bit.  This weekend we synced our schedules so that we both had a balance of time out of the house and time with Doggo. 

We met with a trainer.  We've made a lot of progress on the sit command, we're working on crate training, and we'll take it from there.  Eventually she'll get more crate time during the day, though not a lot since we're mostly home, and once she's a big girl she'll have full run of the house.

Again, speaking from my limited experience, I'd say that late January in a mild winter is the perfect time to get a puppy because there's just not a lot going on at this time of year.

Eats

I tried a new recipe on the fam.  The last time that we got Chinese food, the Hubs changed it up from his usual moo goo gai pan to a stir fry with brown sauce.  In an attempt to recreate it at home, I made Recipe Tin Eats Real Chinese All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce, which she nicknamed "Charlie" as in Charlie Brown since the sauce is...very brown.

The only thing that I wasn't sure about was how to scale the sauce to the amount of stir fry that I was making, so I just made a full batch of the sauce.  I also didn't want to dump a quarter cup (!) of corn starch in the sauce and count on it not clumping up, so I simply thickened the sauce on its own with one tablespoon of corn starch.  That gave me the nice thick sauce that I wanted with no surprises.  I grabbed a bunch of Costco stir fry veggies and did chicken for the guys and fried tofu from the Asian market for me.

This was a winner because there's no spice (well at least there isn't if you omit the white pepper as I did) so it was good for the bland palates of the house, but there was still enough complexity that it appealed to me.

Workouts

Wow, having a puppy does put quite a spin on things!  Normally I get up a 6 to start my workouts and the rest of the fam gets up at 6:30.  Well, that doesn't work right now because if I got up at 6 then I'd just be on full Doggo duty until 6:30.  Hey I don't mind sleeping in until 6:30!  Her first visit outside goes pretty quickly.  The only complication is that I had early meetings on Monday and Wednesday and so I only had time for cardio and not strength...yes even though my strength work is only 15 minutes if that.  Chances are good that I'll be able to figure out how to get the 15 minutes in during week 2 of puppydom, and if I can't, well, I'll get back to it after Doggo settles in.

The auxillary strength stuff that I'm doing outside of my normal workouts is going well.  After four solid months of making sure that I'm getting in at least 3 x 10 pushups three times a week pushups are finally starting to not be that big a deal.  As previously recounted after one month I felt stronger, after two months I didn't feel like I'd made much progress, after three months I felt that I was ahead of where I was at month one, and now at the end of month four I feel like I've leveled up again.  Ima keep at it, and if I really feel sassy I'll start doing "push up tricks" like one legged or variations on pushups.

Pull up wise, I've got a month of just hanging on the bar twice a week.  At the beginning I was doing 3 x 10 seconds and now I'm doing 3 x 30 seconds...well let me clarify that "seconds" actually means "counts".  I can't figure out where I would put my phone or a stopwatch where I can see if from the bar, so I just count it out slowly.  Whether my counting to 30 is actually 30 seconds who knows, but it's longer than me counting to 10 seconds.

For Feb my goal is to continue the two days of bar hangs and I'll add a third day of holding myself up at the top of the bar.  Stay turned to see how it turns out or if this ever ends up in me actually being able to do a pull up...a girl can dream.

I had to prioritize my time out of the house this weekend thanks to Doggo but I found time for a social event/Trader Joe's rampage on Saturday and a hike for the hiking challenge on Sunday.  The hike was one of the longer ones at 6.2 miles, which has to be a distance walking record for me.  Back in my running days I loved running 10k, I definitely never thought that I would walk this distance.


Watching

Pro tip: if you and your spouse are spending a lot of time together with a new puppy, it's a great opportunity to rewatch Seinfeld again.

Read-the-Book-or-See-the-Movie

I finished the book On the Beach this week, so naturally my next move was to see the movie.  In case you're not familiar, it's a 1957 novel set in 1963 in the aftermath of a nuclear war where human life has been mostly wiped off the earth, with the spread of the fallout expected to eliminate all life in 9 months plus or minus three months.

The spoilerish part that I will tell you is what I suspected from page one: there is really only one way that an "aftermath of nuclear war" book can end.  I noted that the author seemed somewhat distant from his characters, which is not his typical style, and my best guess is that he did it because, um, well, you know how it ended.  This was an incredible book if you're in the market for an End of the World read, and let's face it, we all need that once in a while.

I was very intrigued by the casting of the movie.  Big Names: Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire, and Anthony Perkins.  The principle characters of the novel are a young married couple with a baby, a submarine captain, a young woman who's drinking a lot to cope with the whole end of the world thing, and a young scientist.  There was no question that Ava Gardner would be the Woman Who Drinks, and I imagined that Anthony Perkins would be the young scientist.  By process of elimination that meant that Gregory Peck would be the sub captain, but what was Fred Astaire doing there?

I only got Ava and Gregory right.  Anthony Perkins was the young husband.  The role of the scientist was rewritten to be an older man so that was Fred.  But wow, this wasn't the "Fred and Ginger" Fred that I know so well.  This was "Fred Astaire proving that he could do more than everything that Ginger Rogers did but not in high heels or backwards".  Instead of just playing himself like he did in all of his musicals, he was actually acting and playing a character.  And doing an incredibly good job of it!  It was as amazing to watch as any of his dancing.  For the rest of the cast, I don't think that I've seen Anthony Perkins in anything except Psycho and he absolutely did an incredible job here as well.  There's no need to tell you that Gregory and Ava did good work cuz that's what they always do.  I appreciated that her character was older in the movie.

The actors were incredible and the movie was largely faithful to the book, with a few tweaks here and there.  For example, instead of being sent to investigate a mysterious radio signal in Seattle the sub crew went to California.  The movie has great shots of a completely deserted San Francisco, and I'm guessing that's a more familiar sight than Seattle (at least it is to me).

I just have a few quibbles.  At the time it was perfectly legit in movies to have American actors speak in American accents no matter what nationality the character was.  I wish they would have taken that route instead of Anthony using an Australian accent and Fred pretending to be British, but at least they didn't lay on the accents too thick.  The other quibble is with the death of the race car driver. In the book he takes a euthanasia pill, which is the recommended exit method once the radiation poisoning sets in, but in the movie he commits suicide by locking himself in his garage with his car and going the carbon monoxide route because...I can't really figure out why they made that change.

So which is better - book or movie?  I'll go with the book but the movie was worthy and it did a better job of going deeper with the characters.  Meanwhile I've had my fill of End of the World stories, so it's time to move on to something else.

Reading

In Joyce Porter rereading, I'm well into Dover Two.  I read this book for the first time when I was 12, I've read it one million times since, and I'm absolutely gobbling it up and loving it now at the age of 48.  That's serious book staying power.

And in other news...it's time for Round Two of the Cool Bloggers Book Club!!!  I started My Brilliant Friend this weekend.  I read the first week's assignment in less than an hour, so this is very doable.

Peace out!


31 comments:

  1. Awh, sweet Doggo ;-) I had not heard of the 3-3-3 thing, but that sounds pretty accurate with how Max acclimated to our household (though it may have been more like 3 hours, 3 days, then 3 weeks, LOL). I had to laugh at your comment about Seinfeld.....I totally LOVE that show!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like having a puppy to make you realize that it's time to watch Seinfeld again!

      Delete
  2. I had no idea that a puppy was so much work! Wow! It's like having a little human baby.
    How does it work with the bathroom breaks? Is she "potty trained" - meaning, does she let you know during the night that she needs to go outside?
    And I was wondering about taking her with you on the hike - I guess that is too much for her right now?
    Nice job on those push-ups!!!
    We had pull-ups yesterday at CrossFit. Out of the 7 women, only ONE could do a SINGLE pull-up. Meanwhile, the men were all doing crazy stuff with a gazillion weighted pull-ups.
    For women, a pull-up is hard to master. I'm also dreaming of one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, she's not potty trained. They can't really do that in a shelter. The way it works is that we take her outside A LOT, and we're told that once she's more comfortable with us, she'll start letting us know when she wants outside.

      No hikes for lil' baby yet, or really walks for that matter. She's not leash trained - another thing that doesn't happen in a shelter - so when we go out she just wanders around in our yard.

      Someday our pull up dreams will come true!

      Delete
  3. Oof, I am HERE for you. I hear you. I feel you. ;) We are walking the same path right now... haha.

    I had no idea having a puppy was so all consuming. Charlie is getting easier now in so many ways (he just turned 7 months) but honestly he still occupies oodles of my time, mental space and energy. Also, I am envious of you and your husband's tag-teaming schedule!! I know it's still a lot for both of you, but my husband works outside the home in office full time. Basically from 7 a.m until 6 p.m. he is unavailable- either getting ready for work, commuting, working. So this puppy thing has been ALL me, primarily (though he would/ does help in the evenings when home. But still. 7-6 is a long time, and I also have to work full time from home and like, run a lot of the household stuff too, deal with kids, etc.)

    I can also fully relate to the complications with fitting in workouts around puppy schedules! Charlie always goes in his crate for a long stretch in the morning while I work, which is fine. But then I obviously need to take him out for a longer break over the lunch hour. So my previous (preferred) workout time slot (during a workday break) is no longer an option, because by the time I'm done dealing with Charlie, I need to get back to work!

    Not being able to leave him home alone/ unattended yet is another real hassle. He does fine in his crate but I feel like I'm always trying to time everything just right. If I have him in the crate on Saturday while we run errands, then I can't stop at the gym and then go for lunch because now it's been too long. Or, well, he just took a long nap, so this isn't a good time to go, because he's not going to want to nap again now in his crate right away. Or, we want to go away in the evening but if he naps in crate from 7-10 pm, is he then going to sleep poorly tonight?! Etc. I would love for him to be able to just be "out" in the house- he loves to look out our sunroom window and just hang out in there. But, last week we had a Scary Incident where I was working downstairs and my son was letting him hang out more or less unattended upstairs while he was down the hall in his room. Thought it would be fine, as he usually just chills. Well, apparently it was too long of a stretch and he got bored.... and chewed up a lamp cord!! Thank god the switch was off. It scared me so much when I found it. He had never paid any attention to cords at all before, and really has never chewed up things in the house besides maybe like a sock. So, I guess he failed his first "stay out of the crate" test yet. Ugh. Was really excited by the idea of maybe sooner than later being able to let him roam from kitchen to sunroom when we're away for short times. Not yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kae, I've thought of you so many times since we got her. I knew that having a puppy was a lot, but I had no idea how much until...well 10 days ago;-)

      I'm not sure if Doggo is ahead of or behind the curve due to her time in the shelter. On the one hand she's older than Charlie was when you got him, but also she had less attention in the shelter. They had volunteers to play with her and try to teach her during the day, but it was no where near the same.

      I'm not sure how long it takes for dogs to go from puppy stage to being able to have the run of the house, but our fur babies will get there! I can't wait until Doggo is able to just be out and about with us. And in the meantime, I've gone from being creeped out by crate training to being a fan.

      Delete
  4. Doggo is just so sweet and I love your perspective of this being an intense, but fleeting season. Enjoy those lap snuggles and I can't wait to hear all about the adjustment process are Doggo settles into your home and heart <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to write about it! While there have been some one step forward/one step back things, overall she comes out of her shell just a bit more each day and we get to see more of her sweet personality.

      Delete
  5. DOGGO UPDATE YAYYYYY!
    She's so sweet. We had Barkley from a puppy, and at the time my boys were 3 and 4. It was...busy. Very very busy. One of the reasons I (THANK GOD) agreed to adopting Rex was that he was not a puppy, but still young (he was 1 1/2). I don't think I have it in me anymore BUT puppies are so cute, and as you say it's a temporary arrangement! They grow pretty fast. It sounds like Doggo is making great progress.
    YES TO SEINFELD. My boys both discovered Seinfeld several years ago and we would watch it together. We still do, actually. Such a great show, so many amazing quotes.
    Oooh look at that blue sky! I hope I get to see blue sky soon, it's very grey here right now. Ah well, IT'S TEMPORARY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek I cannot imagine having little kids AND a puppy...I just can't. However, now that we're here I'm glad that I get to have the puppy experience.

      Yes we have blue skies and there's a big orange ball in the sky!!! It's a very strange sight but it feels good.

      Delete
  6. I see that Kae wrote a nice long comment- I'm sure she can relate! I remember her struggles with Charlie in the beginning (with how it affected her workout time.). Whatever- it's all worth it! I love that top photo of Doggo outside... she's adorable.
    I skipped over your discussion of On the Beach because I'll probably read it at some point. I'll definitely be getting more Nevil Shute in my life at some point. Maybe I'll have a "birthday book flood" in March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if anyone knows Puppy Life it's Kae! Kittens are nothing like this.

      I started reading Nevil Shute when I was 12 - come to think of it that was also the year I found Dover. I love that these books have held up for me for so long. I know that I haven't read everything that he's written, so I think I need to seek some of those books out.

      Delete
  7. Your Doggo is soooooo cute!!!!!!!! Love the photos. I'm glad you are exposing her to Seinfeld early on. Very important for her formative years.

    How have I never tried this Recipe Tin Eats stir fry sauce?!? I need to correct that immediately.

    Very impressed with your pull up and push up progress. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The push ups were very much one tiny step at a time. Who knows if the pull ups will ever happen but a girl's got to dream.

      When a stir fry sauce is named Charlie, you know it's got to be good! And yes, early exposure to Seinfeld is an important part of a dog's development.

      Delete
  8. What a sweet baby girl!! We got our cat as a kitten (eight weeks old) and she was a nightmare from about six months to 2.5 years. And that was enough to convince me that I didn't have what it took to deal with baby animals and when we got our dog, she was already 2-3 years old. Puppies are just so much work! I'm exhausted on your behalf.

    But just look at that sweet face and that perfect head tilt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember anything about Kitten Life. Of course the last time I had a cat was when I still lived with my parents, so they would have been the point people for all the work.

      Two is the perfect age to get a dog because they already know everything and you know their personality and how big they are - Doggo might end up being huge or she might stay the size that she is now, so that's a wide range of possibilities. But now that we're here, I'm glad I get to do the puppy thing.

      Delete
  9. I love that you are re-watching Seinfeld. Good call. Doggo is super cute. I laughed that you are sleeping in until 6:30. You seem to have the right approach to a puppy - this is temporary. That recipe sounds really tasty. I don't eat Chinese food anymore because of celiac. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So is 6:30 early or late for you? It's definitely on the late side for a weekday wakeup for me, but I'm happy to accomodate;-)

      Rewatching Seinfeld is always the right call!

      Delete
  10. I thought I already commented on this post but either I am going senile (totally possible) or I just thought about doing it, or your blog ate my comment. Anyway! I am so impressed with your taking on Doggo! I like dogs, but I like well behaved dogs, and I would have no idea how to make a puppy into a well behaved dog!! I know shepherds are also known for needing a task and being a bit energetic (and smart!) so they seem especially intimidating. I am sure you will have a lot of fun though and before you know it, your 3-3-3 will be over and it will be like Doggo was never not there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like well behaved dogs too. Believe me, we do not know how to get there so that's why we have a trainer.

      Delete
  11. Puppies are SO MUCH WORK. I've never had one myself, but my mom had two puppies with my fur-siblings Chip and Lucy. Chip was insane. He would never sit still and only slept if he was in his crate. Lucy was SO much easier than Chip. Now they're adult dogs and so chill, but dang, those puppy months are TOUGH. You got this, though! It's all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that I didn't know how much work she would be going in. I'm trying to keep tunnel vision and just focus on right now...someday she will be grown up and chill.

      Delete
  12. Doggo is so very cute! Puppies are like babies - they so much work but there are some great benefits like the snuggles/how small and cute they are, among other things. I am glad she's settling in so well!

    The stir fry sounds great! As our kids become more adventurous eaters... err eat more than their very limited list of tolerable foods, I will have to explore more flavorable while not spicy recipes! Right now I make a lot of spicier foods since the kids won't eat it so I figure we might as well eat what we want to eat. But that stirfry recipe sounds like something to try soon - but the boys would just get chicken and we'd have chicken and veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about getting the kids to eat whatever they will eat and you having what you want. The stir fry was a unicorn of bland enough for them/interesting enough for me.

      Delete
  13. What a sweet puppy your Doggo is! I love her! I remember not being a fan of the crate, and our vet telling me that when your dog is young, they really are safer if they are in a crate. She had seen dogs that accidentally knocked the TV down on them, really bad stuff. We got Mulder when he was 7 months old, and I don't think we ever crated him at night, but we did crate him when we left for several months. I don't remember when we got rid of it. Maybe when he was 1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate the concept of the crate, but she isn't house broken and possibly the Hubs and I might both want to leave the house at the same time someday. Since we started the training she now sleeps through the night. But yes, I can't wait until the crate days are over and she has the run of the whole house.

      Delete
  14. What a sweet pup! And, I'm so impressed with how you've stuck with the push ups and hangs. It seems so manageable and doable (consistency really is the thing, right?). I really enjoyed On the Beach the movie - Astaire had such depth to his performance and it all had such stakes; I think reading books of this ilk have so much extra work to do because we know how it'll end where the movie has an extra boost in that we have to watch these faces we know move towards that ending...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie really made the characters come alive. Usually Nevil Shute is great about building up his characters and making the reader care so much about them but he really kept his distance from them in the book. I think that maybe he didn't want to get too close to them because he knew he would lose them.

      Delete
  15. Doggo is so cute. I can imagine she's quite a handfull right now (not that I have any puppy experience myself, but I hear the same thing from everyone who has or has had a puppy) and it's probably exciting and exhausting at the same time when the whole routine gets thrown off... but I am so happy she's settling in with you guys so well <3

    You're doing a great job pivoting in other areas of your life (e.g. exercise) and that's the right thing to do under the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, Doggo is so cute! The puppy stage is such a lot of work but I love that you are embracing it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, that Doggo face. <3 I love that she (currently) fits on your laps and how much you are enjoying these moments, knowing how fleeting they are. It's wonderful that you are able to split Doggo duties with your husband, too. Puppies are a ton of hard work, but I know you'll love having her in your lives for years to come. <3

    ReplyDelete