Monday, December 28, 2020

Weekly Eats: Well Done

A weekly round up: eats, watches, and reads.  In this week's edition, my husband and I tag teamed to make Christmas dinner, and through our separate but equal distractions elsewhere, ended up a bit long on the cooking times.  Yes our dinner ended up a bit too "well done" but it was a good dinner.

Breakfasts


A mix of breakfast burritos and smoked salmon bagels


Lunches

The star of the show was my loose riff on the New York Times' tofu with peanut sauce.


Dinners

Monday and Tuesday: leftover fajitas from the weekend.

Wednesday: flying pizza!  By which I mean that we had pizza, and on the way home from picking it up, a car cut me off and I had to slam on the brakes, sending the pizza boxes flying through the car and upside down (the boxes stayed shut thankfully and honestly the whole "not" part of not getting in an accident was all I cared about).  Should you ever need to know, a Papa John's pepperoni will be totally undamaged by being flipped over.  The spinach and tomato with white sauce was a little scrambled, and my "everything" pizza was a complete mess though I got dinner and a lunch out of it.  No pictures and you are welcome.

Thursday: it was just the adults so we feasted on an elegant repast of chicken parm, Caesar salads, and garlic bread.

Friday: we didn't put nearly as much thought into Christmas dinner as we did into Thanksgiving.  Hubs and I did a divide and conquer on the meat and potatoes and we both managed to botch things up a little bit though nothing fatal.  For hubs's part, he was supposed to roast the meat (rib roast) for an hour and then turn the oven off and let the meat sit for a few hours.  He got distracted at the critical time and the roast got at least an hour and a half at full temperature.  For my part, I roasted the potatoes in the air fryer oven for way too long.  I'd cut them in half first and the insides formed a thick crust that wouldn't mash, so I discarded those and slyly microwaved an extra potato to make up for the filling that we'd lost.  And yes I baked them a bit too long on their second baking.  But dinner was still very good.

Saturday: usually we have hamburgers on Saturdays but we also had a very white Christmas, and hubs wryly observed that he didn't feel like plowing a path to the grill.  We got takeout Mexican instead.

Sunday: leftovers!  The kids finished the rib roast and hubs and I had chicken sausages.

Watching

For family viewing, we saw (and very much enjoyed) Love and Monsters.


 

Hubs came up with the perfect Christmas Eve movie for us.  I'd never seen  Zoolander, for some reason I'd written it off as a dumb movie - which it is but in the best way.


And for my solo viewing...I am almost done with season 4 of The Crown.  The show that is So Boring that I cannot stop watching it, or should I say listening to it while I do jigsaw puzzles at the same time.

Exhibit A: (thanks Coco for putting this one on my radar)


Exhibit B:


I think I have 2 more episodes of The Crown and hopefully enough to go on my latest puzzle to match.

Reading

I lost interest in the book that I started last week and set it aside when The Invisible Girl by Lisa Jewell came in through the library. 

4 comments:

  1. Well done on the damage control with the baked potato on Friday! A very clever idea.
    Is Love and Monsters available on Netflix? I'll need to check it out.

    I watched "Love, Actually" (I do that every year and cry every time at the the end).
    Someone recommended "Lorena, Light-Footed Woman". Apparently, it's on Netflix and an interesting movie for runners. I'll check it out tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love & Monsters is on Amazon Prime (not free but we'd heard good things so we splurged). Someone told me about Lorena a while ago and I'd forgotten about it, so thanks for the reminder! My sources told me that it was really good but short.

      Delete
  2. OMG, your Christmas dinner looks like total perfection to me. Your photography skills certainly made up for any "overcooked" issues ;-) The hubs stumbled upon the series The Unicorn on NetFlix a few days ago. We'd never heard of it, but it's really cute and light-hearted )about a widower raising his two teen daughters).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the rib roast ended up with exactly the right cooking time (just by accident). We'll check out The Unicorn!

      Delete