If I had it to do all over again, I would have just walked out instead of giving my soon-to-be-ex-employer three weeks notice. Each day brings a new low. I said at the onset of this mess that work problems are way better than "real" problems since jobs are relatively easy to change but ye gods work has done a number on me.
I took work email and Slack off my phone so the only way that work has to communicate with me is during working hours when I'm physically in front of my work computer - well they could text or call if they were desperate enough but so far no one has. My system access will be turned off this Friday at 3:00, and I will not be working longer than 8 hours a day until then, so tick-tock the comedy will be over in 30 work hours. 95% of my job is obsolete with the completion of Project MegaBig and everyone seems pretty panicked at taking over the remaining 5%, so it's been amusing to watch the corporate game of hot potato. All I know is that at 3:01 next Friday I will walk my laptop down to the nearby FedEx to ship it back to the mothership and then I am DONE with these people. I'm very excited to move on to "not my circus not my monkeys" status.
The only new and notable thing to report is that I tried frozen Ahi tuna this week and I like it a lot. I'd heard about it but only recently found it at the posh grocery store in my town. Of course when I was looking at recipes I saw a million "oh no, the frozen stuff is garbage, thou must get fresh or nothing." For whatever reason getting fresh sushi grade fish seems intimidating (plus I've never really looked for it so I'm not sure if the local grocery stores sell it and also I live quite a distance from the ocean and I've heard that all of our fish is frozen to start with anyway) but just taking it out of the freezer is completely in my comfort zone. And it's perfectly fine for my hillbilly taste buds. I went with a riff on Skinny Taste's Poke Bowls - you can't see it but there really is a layer of rice under there, carrots, cucumber, avocado, sushi ginger, and of course the Ahi. It is a very pleasant way to get 30 grams of protein.
I ran my slowest 10k ever last weekend. It was 80 degrees at the race start and I started to feel dizzy and disoriented by the end of mile 2. I hung in there and was rewarded with my slowest mile split in a race ever. It's no big deal to bomb a race BUT I am swearing off summer races longer than 5k going forward. It's just not worth it. The hydration pack and electrolytes help a ton when we're dealing with high 60's/low 70's, but once it gets warmer than that my body just can't handle it.
But I can't say that I totally regret the race because I got my first post-pandemic physical contact with non family members. I hugged a coworker and high fived a complete stranger at the finish line.
The Single Life
Stepdog and I have been single ladies recently thanks to Boy Scout Camp season. Not so many years ago this was my normal life (except back then I was only a dog owner for two weeks out of the year when I would dog sit my friend's German Shepherd when my friend went on vacation). Yes it's fine but the thrill of having a clean house 24/7 has worn thin. I think that stepdog would tell you that being allowed to sleep in the bed all night instead of having to move to her own bed when the lights go out is nice but pretty lame as well. The art of being alone is a necessary life skill and I had a happy single life, but I don't miss those days.
The Family Life
Our entire family is in town this weekend and it is everything. My fellas were home for an entire 36 hours between camps this weekend and since they went back to the woods I've been representing on my own. We finally got to meet the new baby in our family (SIL#2's granddaughter) and catch up with people that we haven't seen since my FIL's funeral last year. We just need to find a way to get my two out-of-town SIL's to move back here and we'll be set. Though SIL #2 seems to be making a play to get the boys to go to college in Chicago (we're a few years out but close enough to start thinking about it). I'm not quite clear if her scheme has me and the hubs in CHI with the boys or if we're just coming to visit so there are some details to work out. People are going to start going back home tomorrow so we'll have our final bash this evening.
That's all I've got for right now! Anything good happening in your world?