Monday, February 14, 2022

Weekly Round Up: DNS

 

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads. In this week's edition I DNS'd a race and one of my favorite trashy reality shows is back.

Food

This was a "phone it in" kind of week.  My only spectacular was Sunday night's dinner of mushroom penne with chicken meatballs (a mashup of two different recipes first attempted here). 

And cheesecake for dessert.

Workouts

For the second time in my life I DNS'd (did not start) a race.  On Saturday morning I headed out as planned.  The race was at a park, and there had been a thaw the day before and then a refreeze overnight.  The walkways were covered with black ice and I had several near falls on the way to pick up my packet.

I chatted with the other race participants.  They were talking about walking the race, and the more they talked about it, the more I went from "I'm already here might as well do it" to "uh...no".  I wasn't there to walk 3.1 miles and I also wasn't there to take a fall and get hurt.  It just didn't feel right, so I went with my spidey sense and headed home to my treadmill.

Here's the recap of the same race from two years ago if anyone wants to read about what might have been, and all was not lost.  This race is a promo for the company's race series, so the swag is >>> than the race registration.  The race was $30 and the swag was a very nice backpack with a $50 price tag on it.  Stepson #1 was in need of an upgrade so he snapped it up.  He likes the backpack and he likes the $30 = $50 math.

Watching

Oooh my life is now complete...Love is Blind season 2 is dropped this weekend! 

One of my former coworkers was obsessed with this show and talked just about everyone at the company into watching season 1 two years ago right before the pandemic.  We may not work together anymore, but we're chatting about it nonstop on our group text.  The rest of the season comes out next weekend so it's a fair assumption that I'll be spending a lot of quality time with the TV next weekend.

Reading

I'm over halfway through The Maid and now I'm ready to give it the official thumbs up.  I still feel that the main character is very similar to Eleanor Oliphant, but I'm fully invested in the story so I'm good with it.  I feel like I need to reread Eleanor as well.

That's all for this week!  Have you ever DNS'd a race?

18 comments:

  1. Oh, good for you for looking out for yourself and not pushing yourself to start the race! I mean, you can walk 3.1 miles anytime, really, no need to risk slipping on black ice. I haven't run outside for a few months now, and no plans to until it's warmer and clear.

    I did once DNS a race, because I severely injured my hip two days prior to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! There will be plenty of opportunities to run outside in a few weeks. The treadmill does feel a little dry, but it's way better than the alternative.

      Delete
  2. First-time reader popping over from San's blog.

    That penne looks SO good and cheesecake should be one of Gary Chapman's love languages...just sayin'

    http://elisabeth-frost.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Elisabeth! I second your motion so cheesecake is now an official love language.

      Delete
  3. I broke my leg terrifically by falling on black ice about ten years ago. I 100% support not running in such dangerous weather! Good on you for making a good decision for your well being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! I am very glad that I didn't run it. I have very strong feelings about not running on slick surfaces.

      Delete
  4. I think you made the right call. If you were worried about slipping the whole time it would not have been fun. One time Greg and I drove 3 hours to a race and when we got there, the forecast changed making a huge storm come through sooner than originally predicted. So instead of staying the night in the hotel, we turned right around and drove home. Otherwise we would have been driving home in a storm the next day. That penne looks delicious, and so does the cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel good about skipping the race but man I want to run another race so bad that I can taste it. I may not get to do one in Feb but I'll make up for it in March!

      Delete
  5. The penne dish sounds/looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the links, too.
    And I think it's great that you went with your gut and DNSed that race. I've only done that once, it didn't feel good, but it felt right. So no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct, no regrets but I wish we'd had better luck with our weekend weather. Every Saturday in February has been awful.

      Delete
  6. Bummer on the DNS, but that Spidey sense is there for a reason ;-) I think we watched Love is Blind a couple years ago (?); I didn't realize there was a season-2, LOL. I might have to check that out after I finish Emily in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that they waited so long to come out with season 2. From all that I've heard it was a hit, and the controlled environment sounds like it would be pandemic-friendly. But I'm just happy that it's back.

      Delete
  7. I don't think I've ever actually gotten to a race and DNS'd it- but it sounds like it was the smart decision in this case. It wasn't like it was your big goal race of the year- it was just supposed to be a fun thing, and breaking a bone would not be fun.
    Glad you're liking The Maid! Still waiting for my library hold to come through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, it wasn't a goal and I didn't have anything invested in it. The weather every weekend has been a train wreck.

      Delete
  8. Ooooh! I'll have to check out that show. I do love all things reality shows! I really have enjoyed watching Celebrity Big Brother lately. I'm really far behind, but it's good mindless fun treadmill entertainment.
    I have DNS'd at a half marathon a few years ago. It was a low cost local race and it just wasn't worth it for me to make my injury worse. That's cool you got some nice swag from the race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love is Blind hits all of the right spots for me. I definitely recommend it if you like shows about people making bad relationship decisions and who doesn't;-)

      Delete
  9. So, to bolster your DNS decision... last week, Monday, we had an ice storm overnight. It was slippery out but I was confident I could get in a little walk to cool down after my bike ride at home.

    I made it two blocks, slipped *on a speed bump* and landed so dang hard on my butt that it still hurts, a week later.

    I suspect I might have fractured my tailbone - either that, or I have the world's worst hematoma that will take forever to resolve - but yeah, you made the absolute right decision. I'm lucky I didn't crack open my skull and/or break something more critical (like NGS and her leg...).

    ReplyDelete