Monday, May 15, 2023

Weekly Round Up: Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome

 

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.

The men in my life have brought home a lot of inspirational sayings from Boy Scouts.  One of my favorites is "improvise, adapt, and overcome".  In this week's edition I'm going to show you how that played out in our meals this week, plus another round of "movies that I remember incorrectly from the 1980's".

Heads up: there's gonna be some weight/diet talk in the books section this week, so bail after the movie discussion if that's not your thing.

Improvisation #1

We ran out of Kraft mac n'cheese.  Hubs and stepson #2 were left with no choice but to take drastic measures.  They made the real thing.

Their recipe was the Shortcut Mac and Cheese from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.  Stepson #2 picked it out, and hubs read the recipe and said "uh...this is the shortcut version?".  From the bay leaves in the sauce to the baking afterwards, it was definitely a step above our normal dinner fare.  But once they started, it came together pretty quickly.  I know I've said a few times that if I never have mac n'cheese and nuggets again in my life it will be too soon, but you better believe that I filled up my plate along with everyone else for this landmark occasion.  In related news, if you own any Kraft stock, now might be a good time to sell because I think they've lost our house as a customer.

 

Improvisation #2

This Saturday we had our big family birthday party for a certain stepson.  We got takeout pizza, fried chicken, and jo-jo's, had a ton of people over, and had a blast.

The leftovers were one pizza (score!), a ton of chicken, and zero jo-jo's.  I stepped up and took a shot at a homemade version for our Sunday dinner of leftovers.

I turned to the internets and scanned the first few hits that google gave me.  I liked the looks of A License to Grill's Air Fryer Jo-Jo's.  I used golden potatoes instead of Russets, and the potatoes were on the small side.  I took a WAG that 6 medium golden potatoes would be about the 4 Russet potatoes that the recipe called for and would be enough to get us through about two meals of leftovers.

I chopped up the potatoes and found myself surrounded by a million potato wedges.  I had to make 3x the flour and egg mixture to coat them all, and had to cook them in three batches total in our fairly large air fryer.  Sheesh it was a ton of potatoes.  Hey it's all good since it meant we were covered for two dinners and I'd find something to do with the leftovers ("something" = potatoes and eggs for breakfast).  I took a taste.  Obviously they were nothing like "real" fried jo-jo's but they were pretty good.

Dinner time.  I set out the first batch of the jo-jo's, the leftovers, and plates for everyone to take what they wanted.

Stepson #2: "How many jo-jo's can we have?"

Me: "As many as you want.  We've got a ton".  I grabbed my plate of pizza and salad and went to the table while the fellas filled up their plates.

They cleaned out the entire first half of the batch and took some nibbles from the second round.  We barely have enough for tomorrow night's dinner.

Workouts

Round 2 of Beastmode is complete!  Now that I've repeated both Beastmode and Iron, I'm going to give Beastmode the Official Best Caroline Girvan Workout Award (in addition to the Best Series Name Award).

I have to admit that I did skip the final HIIT workout in favor of a bike ride on Sunday and I think that's going to be the norm for the summer.  The weather was too gorgeous to stay inside.

Watching

It's another one of my 80's movies memory mixups!

Someone at Boy Scouts recommended In The Name of the Rose to hubs, and he texted me about it.  That sounded familiar...my memory went to work and pulled it up from the archives of my childhood movie watching memories.  I texted hubs back "Sean Connery 1980's right?  If it's what I'm thinking he's a monk and there's a falcon."  I didn't go into detail, but I remembered that the falcon was somehow a woman?  It was very hazy.  Hubs texted back "correct" which I of course took for absolute confirmation that the movie about the monk and the falcon woman was a thing. 


 

We sat down to watch it.  Yep 1300's and James Bond and a very young Christian Slater are monks.  Great movie but...where was the falcon?  The further the movie went the clearer it was that a woman turned falcon was not going to be a plot point.  Google wasn't returning any hits on "1980's movie about a falcon".   I mean, granted I have a good imagination but how had I made this up?

I think it was my search for "1980's medieval movies" that finally got me to the correct answer.  I was thinking of Ladyhawke with Michelle Pfiffer who is cursed to live as a falcon by day and a woman by night and her lover who is a gallant knight by day and a wolf at night.  If you have an extra 10 minutes on your hands and are interested in this rabbit hole, here's a 10 minute summary on it.  We didn't have enough time to squeeze it in this weekend, but we'll be getting to it soon.  Your guess is as good as mine on how I combined the two stories into one movie.

Next up: a 1980's movie that I remembered as being deadly dull and the only reason that I got in front of the TV was that hubs and both boys were dying to watch Dead Poet's Society.


Wow, this was not the snooze fest that I remembered at all.  Time and again I've found that where you are in life matters to how you appreciate a movie.  As a teenage girl I was legit bored to tears by movies about teenage boys in the 1950's.  As a stepmom to two poetic teenagers I was all about this movie.

Reading

TBR update: I'm a sucker for all things Chicago and this list from Modern Mrs. Darcy has my attention.

Reading update: two hits and a miss to report.

I'm still working on Trespasses and still liking it very much. 

On the audio side, I finished Like Family by Paula McClain.  It's a mystery to me why this book isn't better known.  Maybe because it was her second book and written before her big hits???  Anyway, I recommend it and I'll be checking out her other books ASAP (and by ASAP I mean as soon as I get through the billion other books that are on my mental TBR).  Also if she wanted to write a follow up detailing every single minute of her life I would be down for that.

And then we come to the miss.  I was tempted to just leave this out of the blog but I'm trying to stay honest and write about ALL the books that I read, not just the ones I like.  I'm a fan of the author but I could not get in to "You Just Need to Lose Weight": and 19 Other Myths About Fat People. by Aubrey Gordon.

Things that I passionately agree with her about:

  • Weight is hella complicated.
  • The only person whose weight is your business is the person in your mirror.  
  • "People of size" get treated like crap.  You don't have to look far to see the discrimination.
  • There are very real and very sad societal and economic barriers to losing weight.
  • The stats on weight loss success are dismal.
  • The weight loss/wellness industry is super messed up and has a lot of cash behind it.

Where I have an issue is her stance that weight loss is impossible.  She gave the example that for her to reach a healthy weight she would have to lose 200 pounds, and at the recommended rate of 1-2 pounds a week it would take her three years to get there which means three years of adhering to the diet 100% and never ever having one single slip up.

What???  Excuse my size privilege as someone who lost 50 pounds in college and still has 20 of them off...there was no 100% adherence and no perfection anywhere in that process.  That's not how real life weight loss works.  It was two years of losing five pounds...stalling out...gaining a pound...dropping two more...taking breaks when life got in the way...getting back to it when I had the time and energy to do so.  Yes it was hard, no I would not have the energy to tackle it today (as you may recall I would like to lose a few but it's not high enough on my priority list right now), no I've never been fully satisfied with my weight but also I was so uncomfortable and so miserable at my heaviest.

I get that having 200 pounds to lose is overwhelming just on its own without all of the crap that the world throws at folks on top of that and it's perfectly valid to do other things with your life (bonus points if the other things include being the cohost of the Maintenance Phase podcast).   But where is the "all or nothing" mentality coming from?  Seriously?

If I had just disagreed with her on this one point I would have kept listening, but what lost me was death by statistics..."this number is this number so this thing is this thing".  After an hour I gave up and put it on the DNF list.

I'd recommend the companion podcast episode in place of the book.  I did have some of the same gripes with the episode, but it was only an hour so they focused more on the issues instead of a bunch of numbers.  I also think that I might have fared better with the book version instead of the audio version since I could have just skimmed past the numbers to the content, assuming that there was any.

Peace out!  Ever made mac n'cheese or jo-jo's from scratch?  Has anyone seen Ladyhawke?  Am I being too harsh on "You Just Need to Lose Weight"?



19 comments:

  1. I love that Boy Scout quote!
    Haha, a lady who turned into a falcon? It's been a long time, but I don't remember that in the movie. I do remember a horrible death in a tub of grapes... I think. Was that in the movie?
    Agree with everything you said about the weight loss book. No 100% adherence required and besides, what's wrong with losing weight over 3 years or more? That's the way it was gained and that's the way our bodies respond best.
    Have a good week, Birchie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a death in a vat of blood and a death in a regular bathtub - put those two together and I can see remembering a death in a vat of grapes. Hey it's been a while since the 80's.

      Delete
  2. I make mac n cheese from scratch all the time! At this point, I just throw stuff together, but I think that back in the day I used the Pioneer Woman's recipe to get some ideas of where to start. https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a11497/macaroni-cheese/ These days I don't put an egg in, but I do always put a pinch of mustard (seed or just regular) as it helps add a bit of acid to an otherwise fatty meal. I can't remember the last time I had Kraft, although we did eat it when I was a kid (that was probably the last time!)

    I am not a movie person, so I have not seen any of the movies you mentioned but I did just read that Jenny Craig went bankrupt and it made me wonder if people are not dieting, not having success, using other programs...etc. Why did this business fail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best guess is that people start a program, and once they find that it doesn't work, they drop it and try something else. So that could be why Jenny has taken a hit. I know there's a big concern about WW (you know, the company formerly known as Weight Watchers) since they started offering weight loss medication. From what I hear they're doing very well right now.

      Delete
  3. My kids LOVE Kraft Dinner - and have it about once a month - and also LOVE homemade Mac n' Cheese. I guess they just like cheesy pasta :)

    I have such complicated thoughts about weight loss and body image. I've been drafting a blog post in my head for months but don't know where to start... I'm nearing the 1-year anniversary of not weighing myself and eating intuitively (this might sound cliche, but for me it really was a BIG shift to eat what I want, when I want - spoiler alert, I did weigh myself recently for the first time in almost a year and I was about +6 lbs. I will take that 6 lbs happily because to be -6 lbs required me to obsess about food constantly). So yeah, food and weight is so complicated. I read the first Gordon book, but don't think I'll read another one. I really liked You Are Not A Before Picture and The F*ck It Diet which are about body positivity and intuitive eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in sort of the same place where I'm not sure what I'm saying or what my point is, but it's on my mind so I talk about it. I think that even if you're just saying "hey I was doing all of this stuff to manage my weight and then I stopped and lived happily ever after" there's a lot of value in that.

      Delete
  4. Oooooh this gives me a MAD craving for mac and cheese and jo-jos! I don't think I've ever even had a jo-jo in my life, but it sounds really good!

    Your positive stance on Caroline Girvan really makes me want to love her. I think I will give one of these series a try. Not sure which one to jump into first though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where to start with Caroline, that is the question! I would say the first workout that I ever did, which is just a one-off full body workout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GViX8riaHX4

      That will give you a taste. From there do random workouts that look interesting or do Iron (30 min workouts) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhu1QCKrfgPWmStsg7imo5EQ0zmkxymJ2 or maybe Advent (very short workouts) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhu1QCKrfgPVKViubrzd6hP3ziAs60qfD

      Delete
    2. Oooh thanks for the suggestions! I will check those out! I am just now checking back in, but did try two CG workouts this week. A Beastmode full body video and then another full body one that didn't seem to be part of a series. I am not a huge fan of all the RDLs and lunges, but my legs and back do feel them by the end of the video! I really think I need to be lifting more weight, but I am cheap and dumbbells are expensive.

      Delete
  5. I did read that book but I did not like it as much as her first book. I found it a bit repetitive, but it was very eye-opening to see the awful discrimination faced on so many levels. I don't recall exactly the part you mention, I guess it just kind of passed me by. The part about the weight loss industry really spoke to me though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weight loss industry could use more shaming!

      Delete
  6. Controversial opinion: ALL Robin Williams movies are dull. There. I said it.

    Until this post, I had never heard the term "jo-jos" and I still don't really know what it refers to. Is it just a wedge potato? Or a particular spice seasoning? Is it regional?

    I am finding the Beast Mode series to be just good, solid workouts. Occasionally they'll be a workout with too many of X (pushups, burpees, etc.), but it's pretty rare. I'm liking Beast Mode, but have had many days of sore arms because of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I can take him or leave him. There are definitely a handful of Robin Williams movies that are like hearing nails on a chalkboard.

      Jo-jo's are massive potato wedges that are deep fried, and usually served with fried chicken. I think they might be somewhat regional? I can't remember them from my Illinois day.

      Delete
  7. It's so funny you say that about mac and nuggets because vegan homemade mac n cheese and vegan chicken is my go to... I made it last night! Ha ha ha!

    The same thing would have happened with my fam and the jo-jo's. They look delish!

    OMG yes to where you are in life affecting how you feel about a movie! I think I was the same way with that one. (Sometimes it's even where I am in the month, ha)

    Death by statistics - love that. Not that it happened, but they saying. That was what happened to me when I tried to read Lauren Fleshman's book. And that is too bad about the all or nothing mentality. It's definitely more of a give and take dance. I am going to check out that podcast episode - it's a show I've never listened to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are in for a treat! Their latest episode is about when the beef industry sued Oprah for libel 20 years ago!

      Delete
  8. "Time and again I've found that where you are in life matters to how you appreciate a movie." That is the absolute truth - also applies to books. Funny how important "the right moment" is in so many things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never made jo-jos but I love potatoes everything (I'm Russian ;) so I want to make jo-jo's now. Your looked delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can tell I'm having a crazy week because I'm just commenting on this post NOW. First of all, i had no ideas what jo-jos were. I've never heard of them so I think they must be regional. Second, Robin Williams- not a fan. I know that's probably an unpopular opinion. Third: I get the impression the CG Beastmode series has some cardio? Maaaybe I'll look into it- but I'm not usually looking for cardio on my non-running days. I'm loving these Advent series workouts though.
    I'm looking forward to hearing about your weekend adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no idea - like Engie, and Jenny - what jo-jos are, either. What I do know, however, is that potatoes + air fryer = yum. So I'm here for them, whatever they are! (Not the nuggets, though, sorry.) Homemade mac and cheese is amazing. On the other hand, Kraft is an option when one is desperate for food of any kind, even the bright orange variety. ;)

    ReplyDelete