Monday, May 1, 2023

Weekly Round Up: Low Key

 

A weekly round up: eats, workouts, watches, and reads.  What a difference a week makes.  Last weekend we were on the road - Boy Scout camp for the guys and all over the midwest for me - and this weekend was a quiet weekend at home.

The big reason for the low key weekend is that the hubs had LASIK on Friday!  Everything went well, but in the few days after LASIK all you can really do is sit around on the couch (a.k.a. do nothing that has even the remotest chance of damaging your eyes) so that's what we did.  Eight hours after the surgery when we took the dog for a walk, he said "I can read the word 'stop' on the stop sign at the end of the street" (a quarter of a mile away).  I had LASIK way back in the early days, and while yes it was the scariest 10 minutes of my life and yes I have dry eye syndrome (I had it right after the surgery, had 10 years of no problems whatsoever, and then dry eye came back to stay...between you and me I think it's an allergy totally unrelated to LASIK but every doctor that I've ever talked to just says "yeah you had LASIK and you're female, of course you have dry eye" so I've given up on asking and just use eye drops like they're going out of style) but it was still one of the best things that I've ever done.

To prepare, I made a big batch of chocolate chip cookies, which is a favorite family treat but between you and me I can take them or leave them.  And then I thought, "hey it's about time that I had a treat, imma make something that I wanna eat" so I made up another batch of WHITE chocolate chip cookies.  I baked up a few to eat and froze the rest of the dough.  Next time maybe I'll get crazy and make WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIP MACADAMIA cookies.  Along with a batch of plain Jane chocolate chip for everyone else, of course.

The next craving that I had was for steak fajitas, so I channeled that energy toward our Sunday dinner:

  • Chipotle steak (copycat)If you get nothing else out of this post or this blog==>this recipe is a keeper and you'll be seeing it again.  I only made two pounds of steak instead of four, and next time I will grill the steak instead of doing it on the stove in a cast iron skillet (made the house super smokey).  I also want to shout out that this recipe includes instructions for making adobo sauce, which is something that Every.Single.Time I need it (A) I don't have it, or (B) I end up wasting the rest of a can of chipotles that I can't figure out what to do with after scooping out the sauce.  Basically it's just tomato paste with apple cider vinegar plus spices.
  • Fajita veggies.  I baked up three bell peppers and an onion.
  • Mexican rice.  The end result was fine but not spectacular, and the recipe was more trouble than it was worth.  The lack of a link to the recipe says it all, but it was good enough to pile all of the other yummies on top of.

I laid out all of the goods and everyone made their own style of fajitas - in tortillas for the fellas and at the last minute I decided that I wanted a bowl.

For lunches, I ate off my Papa Del's leftovers and was very sad when they were gone.

Workouts

On the Caroline Girvan front, I finished round 2 of Iron and I'll be heading for another round of the two week Beastmode program next.  From there the plan is to knock out more of the one week series, and then do Heat and Epic Endgame.  After that (we're talking about six months so it's not like if you blink you'll miss it) I might get the app and do the new Beastmode program...but we'll see.

On the cardio front, I've figured out that as much as I like my sprinting workout, doing it 3 times a week is a bit much.  My made up one minute run/one minute walk combo is feeling like a slog as well.  I went in search of beginning runner's programs and tried out one session of the Hal Higdon 30-30 workout (30 minutes total = 10 minutes brisk walking, 15 minutes alternating 30 seconds run/30 seconds walk, 5 minutes walking cool down).  That feels like more of my jam.  I'll do that for a bit with 1-2 days of sprinting per week for a bit and then see how I feel about running for more than 30 seconds at a time.  Our treadmill should get fixed next week, hopefully for good this time, so plan B is to just forget the whole thing and go back to treadmill power walking.  I will keep you posted.

Watching

With the hubs: we started watching a show that's been on our radar for a while.  If you like 90's one season wonders and you like Bruce Campbell, then The Adventures of Brisco County Jr is the show for you!


 

On my own: I did from the couch what I did IRL last weekend and watched a bunch of FLW documentaries.  I saw one on the Bradley house and the Ken Burns documentary series

Reading

I surprised myself and ended up finishing The Switch.  

  • What I liked: the characters were believable and relatable.  The main character has a panic attack and meltdown at work, which is pretty much where I am on any given day so of course that spoke to me.  It was a cute, pleasant book.
  • What I didn't: I felt that there was too much fluff in the way of the story.  I ended up skimming page after page about all of the country social events that the granddaughter was setting up.

Currently: when two of your blogging buddies start talking about "a weird little book about incest" you know it was only a matter of time before I picked up A Spell of Winter by Helen Dunmore.  From as far as I've gotten I can tell you that it's super moody and super gothic and I'm all about that.  Said blogging buddies are Jenny and Engie.

I was in the market for another audio book and I had an audible credit to use up.  There are a few audiobooks that I'm interested in, but nothing so hot that I can't wait for the library holds to come in.  What did I want to listen to badly enough to "pay" with a credit?  I vaguely remembered that Paula McClain had written a memoir, and sure enough it wasn't available at the library so I had my match.  Like Family is her memoir about growing up in the foster system.  I can tell that it's going to get rough, since most "I grew up in foster care being yanked from house to house" stories don't coexist with "and my childhood was wonderful" BUT she is such a good writer.  Listening to her words gives me the same feeling that I got from looking at hand carved woodwork in FLW houses...it's serious craftsmanship that puts me in awe.  

Note to self I've only read When the Stars Go Dark so start looking at her other books ASAP.

That's all I got for this week!  Who else has had LASIK?  Who's got dry eye?  Anyone got a good Mexican rice recipe to recommend?  How's that for a random list of questions?


 



22 comments:

  1. Oooh congrats on the LASIK! I had mine done in 2000, no regrets. Although, I do have trouble driving at night, but you know what, I'm 48. Why do I need to be driving at night anyway? I remember the most exciting thing was being able to read the clock at night, which I could never do pre-surgery.
    Adobo sauce! I too waste a whole can while making a single recipe, so I am going to look into this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My night vision is horrible, but it got bad a long time after LASIK. As you say, with age comes wisdom so who wants to drive at night anyway?

      Delete
  2. https://www.recipetineats.com/one-pot-mexican-chicken-rice/ The best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I didn't know that LASIK can give you dry eye syndrome. But come to think of it, a good friend of mine has had LASIK many years ago and she's forever using eye drops. I thought it was just her!
    I'm a scaredypants so no LASIK for me...but I only need glasses for driving and that sort of stuff.
    I like that Hal Higdon program. I think you're doing the right thing by focusing on progression. Power walking on the TM as plan B is fine, but a progressive plan is more fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct, if your vision isn't that bad to start with I wouldn't recommend LASIK. In my own case my vision was so bad that I was helpless without glasses or contacts, so it's totally been worth it.

      Delete
  4. Ironic - I'm headed to have LASIK later this week (maybe - it's a combo consult + surgery date, so things could potentially go awry I guess if they say I'm not eligible, though I've already had a virtual consult; I had an assessment years ago but a) couldn't afford it at the time and b) ended up getting pregnant). I'm nervous about the two things you mention - halos at night (already an issue for me, though) and dry eyes (used to be an issue for me, but so much better the last few years). But there are so many problems with glasses that I feel there have to be some tradeoffs and in the end it seems like a net positive to get the surgery. Gah. I'm nervous, but mostly just pretending it's not happening. I feel like I should be SO excited, but I'm feeling neutral right now and wonder if that's just my mind blocking out the fact someone is going to slice my eyeball with a laser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! And terrifying as well - I get it.

      It's definitely a net positive. Before the surgery I was totally helpless without glasses or contacts, and after 20 years I still don't need to wear glasses. Dry eye is annoying, but since you know to be extra vigilant about using drops you're probably less at risk. I had halos after the surgery but it didn't stop me from doing anything and they went away after a bit.

      Don't worry about being excited now, that will come afterwards when you can see your alarm clock from across the room as clear as day. Good luck!!!

      Delete
  5. Ha you and Nicole are funny- my night vision isn't great and I haven't had LASIK. so...
    I'll be curious to hear what you think of Spell!
    I make a copycat Chipotle tofu sofritas recipe, and it's REALLY good! I'm sure there's a recipe out there for a copycat Chipotle rice, but I'm not sure I want to know how much salt and oil is in it. I'm going to check out the recipe for Mexican rice that D linked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It think it all comes down to no one wants to know how much oil is in Chipotle! I make a cilantro lime rice that I like (no oil) but the last time we got Mexican the boys loved the rice, so I wanted to see if I could get something close.

      I'm really digging Spell of Winter. I'm halfway already and it's going fast. I'll definitely be checking out her other books.

      Delete
  6. Mexican rice: I like to buy the yellow rice packets in the rice aisle (like, Goya or Vigo -- the one I am thinking of is in a yellow bag of the style that chocolate chips come in) and then add a handful of frozen corn to it once it's cooked. Easy peasy.

    But also! I blend a can or two of chipotles with their sauce in the blender and then portion the result into ice cube trays. Then I have roughly tablespoon sized portions to add to chili, crockpot recipes, soups, marinades, etc. I use them so often that when I use up the last cube, I immediately blend up another batch.

    Now I need to bookmark this steak recipe because it sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two good tips! I feel like I could march into my grocery store and find the yellow bag. I never thought of blending up the Chipotles and that's an excellent idea. Enjoy the steak! The leftovers reheated very nicely so that's a bonus.

      Delete
  7. A Spell of Winter! I found that book...confusing. I still think about it way more than I thought I would.

    I'm interested to see if Girvan's new project can sustain itself. I guess I feel like there's already so much free stuff out there that I can't justify paying for content. Hm. Well, if you do the new program, I'll be interested in your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got at least six more months of free stuff to get through, so it's a ways off. Then it's just a matter of whether I get enough value out of the app to make it worth $10 out of my pocket each month. I'm keeping my ears tuned to what people are saying about the app on her FB page as well.

      Delete
  8. I am glad LASIK went well for him! My husband had PRK and it was a bit of a traumatic experience. I think he had dry eye for a bit but it's getting better.

    I was just looking at vegan white chocolate chips online yesterday. I wonder if I would like those cookies better than regular chocolate chip (not a fan).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, I'm glad that he's doing better. Eye stuff is scary.

      Yeah, there's nothing "wrong" with chocolate chip cookies, but they're boring. If I'm going to take on the calories, I want them to be for something that I love. My husband hates white chocolate so he's mystified by my love for it.

      Delete
  9. Your eats look awesome! Especially those white chocolate macadamia goodies! If you want to trek to Iowa and make fajitas for me, let me know ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not know McCain had a memoir! I am going to go and put it on hold right away. I am a huge fan of her books and really enjoyed The Paris Wife and Circling the Sun; in fact, I went and found the memoir of the person she writes about in Circling, Beryl Markham (West With the Night) because McCain's story intrigued me so much! Also The Paris Wife is about Hemingway, who I am not a huge fan of, but I really enjoyed it too. I actually think that When The Stars Go Dark was my least favorite of her books (but I still gave it four stars; I did not dislike it) so I will be interested to hear what you think about her others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, if you're telling me that Stars was her "worst" book then I need to read her other books ASAP. I don't know why her memoir isn't better known because it is excellent. I am sure that you will not be disappointed.

      Delete
  11. White chocolate chip macademia cookies - now we're talking. I am not much of a cookie maker, but I'd try that :)

    I don't have any experiences (or insights - ha) on LASIK surgery but people who had it are usually happy they got it done. I hope the dry eye is not too bothersome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have terrible vision (that gets about 25% worse every year, sigh) AND terrible dry eyes so to say I am not a candidate for LASIK is putting it mildly. I wish - I can't see a darn thing without my glasses these days - but it's just not an option. :( Hope that your husband is back to full (visual) power now.
    And, mmm, chocolate chip cookies. I'll join the rest of your family and leave you the white chocolate version. ;)

    ReplyDelete