Friday, May 5, 2023

Weigh In Wednesday: It's Not Wednesday

Hey Friends - it's not Wednesday and this isn't really about weight loss.  This is a long overdue update on two issues that I've talked about on the blog: my weight and my job.

TL&DR: my weight loss plans are off the table for now, my job misery has gone to a new low, and I started therapy today.

Weight loss

Remember my grand plan to slowly and subtly tackle those pesky extra pounds?

The same "it's just math" approach that worked so well in January resulted in a loss of 0.0 pounds for February.  My guess is that the first half of the month I naturally stalled out and after that work became a zoo and I just didn't care anymore.

I put a little extra care into tracking my food intake for a few more weeks and then gave it up.  In theory "what gets measured gets achieved" but when it doesn't it's time to stop measuring.  I've moved on to Plan B, which is to accept my weight until I'm ready to do something about it.  I have no clue whether I've gained, lost, or stayed the same since then.

On a related note, I met my other objective of getting rid of most of my clothes that don't fit and I'm working on adding new threads into the mix.

I don't know who needs to hear this, but I got the most bang for my wardrobe buck and for feeling good about my body by replacing my bras.  I'm the same size, but the ones that I had were past their prime and not doing what they needed to be doing anymore.  I used to replace them annually and I kind of let that go by the wayside during the pandemic.  I solemnly swear never to let another bra have a birthday (or at least not a second birthday).  Sports bras are a different story and I've got a few that must be well into grade school by now and are still going strong.

Werk

I haven't updated the bloggo since my "a voice in my head told me to update my resume so I did and then the company announced that they weren't doing raises this year" musings in mid February.   For the longest time nothing happened.  It's true that job openings are down but they aren't zero.  Until last week my status was "applied to a few things and got two (2) calls back that ended with all sides saying "no thanks" in the initial recruiter call.

This week I finally got a fish tugging on my line and it seems to like the bait.  From what I've seen so far, this fish might be worth reeling in but it's too soon to tell.  I need to write up my thoughts on Good Fish Co and lay out what they've got vs what I'm looking for and I'll most likely share that on the bloggo in the next few days.

Keeping in mind that there's nothing wrong with my job except that it isn't a good fit==>work has been making me super miserable.  The last half of February and most of March were really bad, and April was at least back to "blah" territory but still not great.  In a perfect world I should be able to contain it to "8:00 to noon" and then "1:00 to 5:00" and enjoy the rest of my life, but I haven't been able to do that.

Where this is all leading

I have not been living my best life since my job transition in 2021.  While I think that lot of my problems would go away if I was happy in my job, it's just a fact that there's no guarantee that (1) I'll get another job anytime soon and (2) even if I do that it will be the wonderful work utopia that I'm dreaming of.  I need to figure out:

  • Why work is such a huge part of my identity, especially since I think that corporate world is one heaping pile of bull.
  • How to be happy when work isn't going well.
  • What is blocking me from achieving simple goals, such as wanting to lose one pound a month.
  • A handful of "not for the blog" issues.

A fair summary of the last two years is that I feel stuck and that I'm putting a lot of effort into going nowhere.  If I could figure these things out on my own I would have done it by now.  The voices in my head told me that when people get in this state, there's this thing called therapy.  I've never done it before so why not?

To find a therapist, I lurked on my town's Facebook page.  People ask for every recommendation under the sun on there, including therapy so there was a lot of information to dig into.  One practice in particular that's very close to my house was highly recommended.

Next I decided to stick it to the man.  As someone who works in an HR-adjacent role, I've heard about this thing called an EAP (Employee Assistance Program) so I decided to check it out.  Mine covers three therapy sessions, but how many hoops was I going to have to jump through to get them?

No hoops and no strings attached.  The practice that I was interested in had a blurb about EAPs on their website.  I went onto my work benefits site and clicked a button to get to our EAP.  I wrote on the submission form that I needed therapy for work stress and asked to be referred to the practice that I had picked out.  It took a few days of emails with the EAP - the practice didn't have any patient openings until now and this was at the end of March, so the EAP tried to steer me toward someone with earlier availability.  Their choice was a half hour away which meant that every session would have been a minimum of two hours away from work - that's fine for the initial three sessions but won't work out if I decide to stay in therapy long term.  I asked them they would give me a referral to the practice that I wanted and I would just wait it out.  They said yes and gave me a referral code.  I called the practice, gave them the code, and scheduled three sessions for May.

Things about the EAP

  • I can't say enough about how easy they were to work with.
  • I looked into how much information the EAP shares with employers.  From what Google tells me the only time that an EAP will report back is if it's the employer who sent you there - for example if you have an anger problem or drug use and your employer makes getting help a condition of your employment, they're allowed to check in on how you're doing.  Otherwise it's none of their business.  Hey, if anyone reading this knows differently, please leave a comment and let us know the scoop.
  • An EAP isn't just for you and it isn't just for traditional counseling.  I can get services for anyone in my family in a variety of areas, including financial counseling (just saying anyone who's fallen victim to the mass tech layoffs), child and elder care, scholarships, and retirement planning.

Today was the day

This morning I met with my therapist for the first time.  I only picked the practice and not the therapist, but I like her.  It was a very pleasant hour of just talking to someone.  I scheduled more appointments for the summer.  It's not a regular time slot, so sometimes I'll see her once a week, sometimes it will be two weeks between appointments.

That's all there is to say for right now.  I'll let y'all know how things work out at some point.

11 comments:

  1. Good for you, Birchie for seeking out help! The wrongest approach would be to think it's just all in your head and you can't do anything about feeling stuck.... talking to a completely unbiased, outside person sometimes just helps to work through your own thoughts.

    I think the reason why our jobs (often) are such a big part of our identities is that we spent SO MUCH time there. You spent more time at work with coworkers than with your spouse/family, if you think about it... so of course it has a huge impact on your quality of life IMHO. Lots of people just suck it up, but I hope it doesn't have to be this way if we can help it.

    And re: the weight loss, it might be all connected with your mental "stresses" right now. The body reacts in weird ways and sometimes - in the case of weight loss - it might not be "just math".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll second San on the weight loss issues. Elevated cortisol can lead to weight gain so if you're feeling stressed it's probably not a good time to try to lose weight. Well done on getting booking some therapy sessions. I think a perspective from someone who has no skin in the game can be invaluable, and it's worth trying to see if it can help you get unstuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Birchy, I am so glad you sought out help and that the first session went well. I am proud of you! I think that you are in good company; a lot of people seem to be feeling stuck and like they are not living their best lives right now. I blame it on the pandemic and all the stresses that came with it, and now the readjustments that are coming with being post-pandemic. YES I SAID POST PANDEMIC. (long laughing story re: conversations with my sons about this. Whenever you say "post-pandemic" or "after Covid" someone will immediately chime in with "Covid is still with us, people die every day from Covid, what about long Covid" and yes, all true, but also, I AM SAYING POST PANDEMIC).
    Wow, where was I? Oh yes! Proud of you!
    Regarding weight, I have been doing a lot of reading about the menopausal transition and weight, and personally have not weighed myself since August of 2020. I think I'm probably in the ballpark of where I was then since my clothes mostly fit BUT my tummy is so much softer and rounder now. It's just a part of perimenopause and I'm at the point where I think who cares. So I have a squishy tummy, so what. That's why god invented the long sweater. I'm not walking around in crop tops or anything and even if I was, who cares. That's where I am, anyway.
    Work is a big part of life so when you are unhappy there, it takes a toll.
    Sorry this comment is so weird and all over the place. I had bloodwork this morning and am still catching up on my caffeine intake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're reaching out for help and that help was so easily accessed. My husband has been searching on and off for a therapist to deal with some of his food issues, but finding a good fit has been a challenge, so I hope you are able to find someone who works well with you!

    Work stuff. I just hate to talk about it. People talk about how low unemployment is, but I'm not finding a lot of jobs out there for me. *sigh* I wish you luck and hope your work situation improves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, and I am grateful that you are so matter-of-fact about what you are going through. I think a LOT of us have similar complaints and maybe a lot of us (I hope you realize "a lot of us" = me) should take a page from your book and seek a therapist to help pinpoint what the deal is and strategize solutions.

    Weight loss. Argh. I have been actively trying to lose weight since January. I mean, since beyond that, but this current attempt has been since January and I've been very consistent and have been in a plateau and it is SO demoralizing. So I feel you on that one. Love the tip about the bras, by the way. I am so terrible when it comes to bra replacement. Once a year makes my eyes go all round, not because it's not completely reasonable but because I think I have bought new bras once? maybe twice? since I stopped breastfeeding in 2014. Yikes.

    I hope that therapy is very successful for you. I went to therapy when I was experiencing extreme job stress and it really helped me get to a place where I could leave that job. So I hope you find it similarly useful (even if the end goal is different).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a therapist is a wonderful idea. It is good to have a third party who has no skin in the game and can let you vent and talk and can also suggest things from an outside neutral perspective. That is great that your work has those benefits; I think that after the pandemic there have been a lot more options for (or it is just more visible) mental health help. I did wonder what if anything would be shared with the job, so I am glad you put my mind to rest a little!

    I also agree with San re the weight loss; I think stress can manifest in many different ways and maybe this is one of them, whether you see it (or feel it) or not. I hope that with time, and perhaps therapy or a job change, you will feel less stress and the weight thing will not be an issue as much! Until then, just be patient with yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow wow wow! Lots of progress with the therapist! Yay! I am glad the first session went well and you like her so far! And am glad EAP was so easy to use. Mine was too! I am waiting to hear back from a therapist.

    I am really glad you are doing something about work sucking. It's soo much of our lives to be miserable. But also, very very hard to make change. Ugh. I hope the new fish is good!

    And yes to buying new clothes (and bras!) that fit and make you feel good. It makes such a difference. Your body is telling you it's not the right time to lose weight. You have other things going on <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've done the EAP thing as well, and agree, it is pretty darned easy to set up. I hope the therapist can help you sort through some stuff, and that if you decide to stick with the therapy that is easy. I went to an EAP therapist once, and was considering staying with her, but she was so busy with EAP patients and her contracts there that I couldn't get another appointment. I didn't try very hard though, perhaps I could have if I had wanted to.

    Regarding weight loss, ugh. Yeah, I'm there with you. Except I haven't been trying very hard. I'm more in the 'I give up' stage, and just trying to find clothes that make me feel good.

    One thing I really should do is get rid of things that no longer fit. At this point, it's been so long since I've fit into most of them, they are totally out of style anyway.

    I just bought some new bras and am VERY happy about that. I have trouble sometimes finding my size in my preferred brand (Wacoal), and ended up buying one in my size (only one I could find) and one in its 'sister size'. Which really doesn't work well for me, so I wish I could return it, but I cut off the tags and threw away the receipt weeks ago...lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, i'm glad you're not stressing about weight loss. I know you do a lot of hard workouts, so you must be getting stronger- and that's the important thing.
    I'm sorry work is so stressful. But I'm glad the EAP worked out so easily. Finding a therapist that you like can be a big stumbling block, but it sounds like this one could be a good fit.
    Yes, please give is updates! You know we're all rooting for you and hoping things work out (they will! Hopefully sooner rather than later.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post is everything! First, you are so right about bras. Well done on getting new ones. Every time I buy new bras I wonder why I didn't do it months sooner.

    Second, work does bleed into life, and I don't know anyone with brains who can keep work totally seperate from life. When I had a job that SUCKED I kept thinking it was fine and I was just not handeling it well, untill I let and realized it wasn't fine and I can actually be happy elsewhere. Getting a new job didn't fix everything, but not feeling like my soul was being crushed in meetings sure fixed a lot of things. I hope you have a successful job hunt!

    Third - amazing that you are trying therapy! I've always wanted to try therapy (I had a terrible free therapist in college, but I think I would benefit more from one now) but the logistics and finding the right person puts me off. Amazing work that you sorted it for yourself - I hope it's helpful. EAP sounds like a great program.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much here to unpack, but I'll try to be brief... I'm so impressed with how you are taking charge of your life and figuring out what is going to work for you. And if that means not focusing on weight loss, great. If you want to lose weight in the future, you can. But MAJOR MAJOR props for seeking out some help with working through all of this. I've been in therapy for years and can honestly say it's made such a difference to have an impartial listener. Her insights and thoughts really help me reframe so many situations (particularly ones where I am in doomsday-type talk...).
    And work? Well, it's such a focus because we're always working! I'm terrible at this, too. I hope that working through everything helps you find some clarity - and ultimately, a job that is fulfilling and that fills all your requirements. <3

    ReplyDelete