Sunday, June 23, 2024

Let's Go Places: MegaVacay Wrap Up

 

Oh friends, we've had such a wonderful vacation but all good things must come to an end.  It's now Sunday, and we're going home on Monday.

Sunday - the last day

I headed out on Sunday morning in the direction of Spring Green and then kept going for a bit.  My destination was the AD German Warehouse in Richland Center, WI.

I didn't need my GPS to tell me that I had arrived to know that I had arrived.

The backstory is that back in the day a man named AD German was running a few successful businesses in the area, and wanted a bang up warehouse to expand his operations.  He met FLW and got the design for his MegaWarehouse and started building in 1917.  Four years later German had to put a pause on the project due to the fatal combo of a decrease in business plus the construction being insanely over budget.  The building has been used for a variety of things over the years, and is currently in the process of being restored.  It's available for rentals for special events, and there are tours.

My favorite part is the prototype floor to ceiling "lily pads" that we saw last month at the SC Johnson Wax HQ.

You will notice that the row of pillars on the left have a decoration at the top and the row of pillars on the right do not.  The fancy ones are closer to street view and the theory is that not decorating the back pillars was a cost saving move.


So yes the AD German Warehouse is what it says it is...a warehouse.  But it was the most interesting warehouse that I've ever been in.

I made tracks for my final FLW hit of the trip.  Welcome to FLW: Tiny House Edition.


The Seth Peterson Cottage, was one of FLW's last commissions.  Peterson was a young Wisconsin man who grew up on FLW lore and wanted to be an architect.  He was turned down for the Taliesin apprenticeship program, and made his career in early computers.  After asking a few times FLW eventually agreed to design a small cottage for him.

One of the things that I love about touring FLW sites is hearing about the original owners.  One general conclusion that I've come is that having a grand mansion is not the secret to happiness.  There are lots of tales of sad ends for weathly FLW clients.  In contrast, the stereotypical ending that I hear for the "everyday" folk that he designed for is that for the most part they lived happily ever after in their houses until they died.

Seth Peterson was an exception to the "everyday folk are happy" rule.  Both he and FLW died before the cottage was complete.  FLW passed due to being 91 years old, and Peterson died by suicide at the age of 24.  His parents completed construction and the cottage cycled through various hands, and fell into disrepair.  Meanwhile the state of Wisconsin bought the land that it was on with eyes on a state park.  Plan A was to bulldoze everything on the site and let it all return to nature, but the FLW Fan Club pipped up and said "hey go ahead and bulldoze all of the other cottages but maybe keep the historically significant one?" so that became Plan B.

The cottage is only 880 square feet, but every one of them is put to good use.

According to legend, Peterson put a 1959 penny in the cement of the living room floor.  One of the people who was involved in the 1990s restoration repeated the legacy, as did the team that worked on the floor later on.  The person who left the 1990s penny was our tour guide!  She says that she hopes that the floor will retain its "three penny" status.


The Seth Peterson Cottage is no Fallingwater, but it still has a breathtaking view from the back porch.

The Seth Peterson Conservancy has butted heads with the state on a number of restoration issues.  One of many battles that they fought was in getting permission to use "FLW inspired" shelters for the shed and wood pile.  The state allowed it only on the condition that they disclose to everyone that these are not FLW designs.  I would like to document that the conservancy followed the rules and disclosed the non-FLW status to the tour group.

Today the Peterson Cottage is available for rentals and tours are given on the second Sunday of each month.

With that, my grand FLW bender was over.  I headed back to the Airbnb and cooked up the final installment of my host's chickens' eggs for brinner, and then took it to the bike trail.


The next morning I timed my departure for later in the morning to avoid CHI rush hour.  Mile by mile passed by, and I was home and in the arms of my family.

MegaVacay 2024 Wrap Up

I'm so glad that I made this trip!  I did not visit every FLW site in Wisconsin - the two that I couldn't fit in are the Greek Orthodox Church in Milwaukee and another school in Spring Green - but I saw most of them and it's OK to have an incomplete set.  I have consolation in all of the bonus visits to state capitols, the Tinker Swiss Cottage, and the USS Cobia. 

But forget FLW, the Cool Blogger Squad is where it's at.  Can you imagine going to Minnesota/Wisconsin and not meeting up with Lisa, Anne, and Engie?  There are a limited number of FLW sites in this world but no limit on the good times to have with Cool Bloggers.

My finally mileage tally for the trip was 2,500 miles, and I had a lot of busy days.  Yet I came home feeling relaxed and refreshed.  10/10 would go on an IL/MN/WI FLW bender again.

Thanks for reading along and letting me relive vacation!




25 comments:

  1. I loved going along with you on your mega vacay!!! How fabulous to have such a trip and to connect with such cool bloggers! I'm a little jelly, honestly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really cool trip, Birchie, and the cherry on top was that you were able to meet up with three (!) Cool Bloggers while visiting so many cool sites! Thanks for taking us along and making us a bit jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an amazing time. It would have been a good vacay with just the places or just the people...but having both in one place! It was amazing.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful vacation you had! I'm so glad that you got to see so many Cool Bloggers, and that you got to see so many FLW buildings. The quintessential Birchie vacay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone should take a Birchie vacay! It was wonderful.

      Delete
  4. This is honestly my kind of trip. For various reasons, trips to Europe and other fabulous locations are not in the cards right now for me, but I really do enjoy road trips and seeing local sights. And you made it into a Cool Bloggers trip! I'm also kind of bummed that I didn't try harder to visit the FLW house in Tallahassee last summer- maybe another time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny - EXACTLY. I like hearing about Europe but the logistics of figuring out what to do, the long plane ride, the money, yada yada...WHEN THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT THINGS HERE.

      I still say that the way that you should go to a FLW house is to go visit your sister in the fall - you'd get to see her, you'd get to have the fall colors and cool weather, and you could do an FLW bender. It's perfect!

      Delete
  5. What a cool trip for you to take! I am so glad that you went a bit further west so we could meet in person and you could see a bit of what MSP has to offer. I forgot to mention in my last email that I am very curious what book you were drawn to purchase! Like you, I rarely buy books anymore besides books for my kids, but I have sort of stopped doing that because we have so many picture books and Paul burns through books so fast that it's hard to want to buy them when he can easily get them from the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reminds me of one of our early family vacations. The boys were in grade school, and they brought a ton of books. But after a few days they read everything so we had to go to the bookstore...twice.

      I'm really glad that I went to MSP as well. Like I told you, it would have been STUPID to be so close and not to go. I know that I barely made a dent in everything that MSP has to offer so I'll just have to go back sometime.

      The story of the book is coming soon!

      Delete
  6. I truly enjoyed every single post and living vicariously on this epic vacation! I love how you've carved out the time for these adventures and have found a launchpoint in FLW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth, you know exactly how it is - it's an oxygen tent. Here's the link for the folks who don't know what we're talking about:

      https://optimisticmusings.com/greetings-from-my-oxygen-tent-little-joys/

      Delete
  7. 2500 miles!! Wow!! That's so much driving. But now you are a real bona fide FLW expert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not an expert, just a fan. 2500 miles over 10 days, 4 audio books, 3 friends, lots of sights to see. Every mile was worth it.

      Delete
  8. Your MegaVacay was so much fun to follow along with, and I enjoyed learning so many new things and seeing all the cool FLW architecture. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love loved these recaps! 2500 is not a small journey, Birchie! This little three-penny cottage is adorable and I love the detail about the FLW-INSPIRED sheds. Where to next?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home for a bit! The fam will be back from Mega Boy Scout Trip soon and then we'll have our summer. I'll know when it's time to set off on the next journey.

      Delete
  10. That cottage! The penny! The story! I'm sorry it ended so sadly (well, FLW seems to have lived a long life, but poor Seth...). I have so loved following along on this adventure and learned so much about Wisconsin and extra enjoyed the guest starring episodes with Cool Bloggers! Mega barely covers it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really sad to think about only being 24 and ending it all...but then having your name live on in your gorgeous cottage.

      As I'm reflecting back on it, this vacation really was THAT good.

      Delete
  11. How many FLW houses have you visited by now? I'm sure you must be at 50 or so.
    I often wonder how FLW would design his houses if he lived in our days. Would it be glass/steel/minimalist? Or wood/stone/brick? Or - most likely - an eclectic mix of the two?
    All the best in returning to the (new) job routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows? It's about the journey. And now it feels good to be home.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for taking us along on your trip! I am so glad you had a wonderful time seeing place, cycling, eating yummy food, and meeting friends!

    The tiny house is so interesting. LOL at anyone presuming to think the structures they added are FLW designs LOLOLOLOL.

    The penny idea is so cool! We should have done that when we built Dragonstone. Instead we just put our initials and the year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing trip, Birchie, and you saw some beautiful place and impressive houses... but I agree, meeting up with Lisa, Anne and Engie must habe been the highlight ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the recap and now adding Richland Center to my list. Thanks for giving me a tour of my "own" state (albeit one where I was transplanted...). I love that you made the time to meet up with us. <3

    ReplyDelete