Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Let's Catch Up: Books

 

Sigh, vacation is over and it's time to return to our normally scheduled blog content.  Let's ease our way in with a cheesecake-ish pic of Doggo and talk about books!  Soooooo many books.

I listened to two more audio books on my trip.  I layered things so that I had the pattern of light book - heavier book - light book - heavier book.  The first light/heavier combo was Living With a Seal and Growing Up Amish (recapped here).

The next book was something that people have been telling me to read forever and I finally picked up.  We're Going to Need More Wine: Stories that are Funny, Complicated, and True by Gabrielle Union.

Good things to say: the title delivered.  There were a lot of funny, complicated, and true stories.  It feels wrong to say this, but the "best" as in most powerful part of the book was her rape story.  It was some seriously powerful writing on an important topic, and for that alone I would recommend dropping everything and picking up the book if you haven't already.

Bad things to say: some of her stories went far past the point where I could suspend disbelief.  Look, I understand that if you're at the level where you're a celebrity but don't have a personal assistant at your beck and call and it's the pre-Amazon Prime era that if you walk into a drug store and everyone stops to chat because they recognize you that yes you might shy away from buying the Monistat that you came there for.  But when the story goes from there to vanilla Dannon yogurt as a home remedy???  The other thing is that at times I felt like she was shying away from being herself in favor of presenting her image. The further that I get from the book the more I find I'm annoyed by that feeling, especially given the writing power and raw honestly of the next book that I read.

The next book is the current "It" book of the The Sarah's Bookshelves Podcast, which is The Wives: A Memoir by Simone Gorrindo.  The author is a military spouse, and relocated to a military base soon after her marriage.  This is a book about military marriage, and marriage in general.  The cherry on top is that Gorrindo is a professional writer, and her craft shines.  She is one of those writers that could publish her grocery list and it would be fascinating.  This is her first book and I hope that it is the first of many.

Now it's time to talk about the  😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻😻 book.  I ended up not starting it until I got back from my trip, and I found myself coming up with extra projects to do around the house so that I could spend more time listening.

I mentioned that when I was in Spring Green I went to a bookstore and a book leapt off the shelves and said "take me home".  The book was The Year of the Puppy: How Dogs Become Themselves by Alexandra Horowitz.

Like I said, I was wandering around Arcadia Books minding my own business when I saw this book.  I said to myself "huh, that sounds interesting and I'm probably gonna need another audio book to finish out the trip" so I pulled out my phone then and there and got myself the audio book on Libby. 

As I drove away from the store, the thought dawned in my head that if I was interested in reading a book about a puppy that my partner in Puppy Parenthood would also be interested in reading a book about a puppy.  And that it was almost Father's Day. 

The next day I returned to Spring Green with Anne and Engie, and right after lunch I marched right back into Arcadia books and snapped up a physical copy of the book.  Hubs is currently off the grid on the annual Boy Scout trip, but he started reading it on the plane and we'll catch up on it when he gets back.  Hubs and I aren't big gift givers, and we have permission to skip gifts for each other unless we find a winner, so right off that bat I had extra love for this book because it fit the bill for a Father's Day present.

The best way to tell you how I feel about this book is that I feel seen.  I've been on the journey of all first time puppy parents, where you kind of know going in that you'll have a few sleepless nights but that there also seems to be something more to it that no one is telling you.  Having a puppy is the most wonderful, horrible thing, and yes I'll write more about this some day when we're further along in the puppy journey.  For now I'll just say that dogs are complicated and dammit they have every right to be since they're so awesome.  They start as cute little fur balls, and then they become teenagers...for a very long time and every dog is different on when the teenage era ends and adulthood begins.   Hubs and I know that we're new at the puppy game and that we've had to learn everything right along with Doggo.  So when Horowitz, who is dog researcher who knows everything about dogs, gets a puppy and then gets caught off guard by how hard it is to have a puppy...I just want to reach through the book and give her a hug and say "THANK YOU!!!!"

I was chatting with a friend about the book, and she asked me if it was a "how to" guide.  It is not and that's another reason why this book is so wonderful.  There is no shortage of dog training advice out there and most of it is, to put it kindly, not helpful.  Horowitz sticks to "I write about dogs for a living, here's what I know about dogs, and here's what it was like when I got a puppy".  She touches again and again on the sad and sobering statistic that most dogs who are surrendered to shelters are given up during their teenage phase.

Anyways, this is a must read for my fellow Puppy Parents, and a recommended read for anyone who likes dogs.  Or good writing.

Last but not least, my current read is the latest Ann Napolitano.  Within Arm's Reach is a big 'ol family saga.  I'm still piecing together all of the different characters and what's happening, but so far I can tell you that I like it.  TBD if it makes me bring out the kleenex like Hello Beautiful did.

That's a wrap on books lately.  Whatcha reading?

16 comments:

  1. Well, I've never had a puppy but from what everyone says, I equate it to having a human baby. It's amazing, it's hard, you go through phases, things get better and then get worse again, and of course it's all totally worth it. And I also like the subtitle of the book, "How dogs become themselves" because that's what having kids is like. You're basically guiding them the best you can, so that they can grow up and become the person they were meant to be all along.
    I feel like I've read so many good books this year! I'm on a roll! I just finished Listen for the Lie by Amy Tintera and am getting ready to start my very first Stephen King novel, 11/22/63.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 11/22/63 is another one on the list of books that people keep telling me to read. Maybe you'll be the push to finally get me to pick it up. I'll be tuning in to see what you think.

      Delete
  2. Puppies seem hard. I was so happy that Hannah was a young adult when we got her.

    Have you ever read Woodrow on the Bench? It's like the polar opposite of the dog book - about a woman dealing with the end of her dog's life. I really appreciated that book when Hannah was at her worst in terms of health.

    I am so obsessed with the Ken Follett Century trilogy right now. It's my entire personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Woodrow but I'm making a note. That would have been a good one to pick up after Stepdog passed. I'm not sure if I want to read it at this moment in time while I'm on the opposite end of the dog lifecycle - maybe in 10 years if you know what I mean.

      I read a few Ken Follett books back in high school, and from what I remember they were good.

      Delete
  3. The Year of the Puppy sounds amazing. We had Barkley from a puppy and although he had gone through "training" when we got him (we did not adopt, he came from a breeder) he was only 13 weeks old, so we had a lot of continual work to do. I'm not sure if I mentioned, I had a 3 and 4 year old at the time, plus a puppy. It was insane. Insane. But of course Barkley was beloved and he was such a good boy.
    A podcast I love is Glamourous Trash, and they recap celebrity memoirs. At the end of the pod they ask if the book passes the Bookdel test, which means "were they vulnerable in the sharing of their truth." Very often this is not the case, which is what some of those stories sound like.
    I am currently reading a book called One Star Romance and it's really clever and good! I'm very invested and about halfway through.
    The photo of Doggo at the beginning reminds me of "draw me like one of your French girls."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I remember when you told me that you had Baby Barkley when the boys were little, and I was just like "how?????"

      I immediately downloaded a few episodes of Glamorous Trash. You know that's right up my alley!

      That's exactly what I thought about Doggo's pose. She's bringing sexy back!

      Delete
  4. OMG - Dannon vanilla?!? Well. That sounds humorous but also horrifying.

    The Wives sounds really intriguing. I'm going to add it to my list.

    I just finished reading First Lie Wins, which was a good, plot-driven read that reminded me of watching Alias back in the day, but fewer ridiculous outfits. (Fewer, not zero.) My biggest irritation with the book is that it could have used a good editor. Three times she used "weary" when she clearly meant "wary," and then there was a fourth time where I think "weary" sort of worked, but in the context I am pretty sure she meant "wary." Listen, we all have our weaknesses and it didn't affect the quality of the plot, so I still recommend the book.

    I am also listening to The XX Factor, which is a book about the connection between menopause and brain health/Alzheimer's. Only about halfway through, so not sure yet whether I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of First Lie Wins even with the lack of editing. A long time ago I used to read a blog that was written by a college psychology professor, and that girl just could not get her their they're theres straight. It was really noticeable. I used to wonder if she was doing it on purpose as some psychological experiment. It was still a great blog that I enjoyed reading (and wish was still around) but man, she was 100% consistent in getting it wrong.

      Delete
  5. I forgot about the dannon yogurt solution. Wow. That is really something. I think that book was mostly like brain candy for me - aside from the rape scene and details about their fertility journey, of course!! But mostly it was a look inside a life that was so completely different from mine.

    I am reading The Wives now, as you know since I texted you. It's giving me a lot of insight into my sister's life as a military wife. Which wow, it is hard and now I appreciate it more, although her husband has only deployed once and it was before they had kids. But still - the military OWNS them.

    The dog book looks great! I love that you can have a little bookclub with your husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy Wine. I liked the mix of lighter stuff with the heavier stories. It was just that a few of the "funny" stories went into "wait did this really even happen?" territory.

      I've thought about The Wives a lot since I finished it. It is such a good book and so well written. Lots to think about.

      Delete
  6. The puppy book sounds so good and so true! Several years ago, we lost our beloved gentlemanly doggo and got a new puppy. We kept expecting him to be like the old guy, and he was NOT. He was a horrible little jerk! I always told him, "It's a good thing you're so cute." But around 3 years old, he grew out of it (finally!) and became a very good boy! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have been on our journey! I hope that it doesn't take Doggo a full three years to grow up (two years go to lol) but our trainer was saying that the age range to grow up is two or two and a half years...hey we will take what we get. She's made so much progress.

      Delete
  7. Our Mulder was sold on eBay in a parking lot when he was a young teen...just 6 months old. Luckily the rescue is who bought him. He stayed with his foster family for a month while he had his vet appts and so on, and when we got him he was 7 months old. He was a Tasmanian devil, but really, really wanted to be a good boy. I think it was 2 1/2 or 3 before he was the dog we wanted all along, but at the same time, our time with a dog is limited by their short life span, so I was glad to have more time with him. I might enjoy that puppy book. I'm thinking about the end of life book that Engie suggested, and wondering if that would be helpful or too much. I mean, it's been a year since we lost Mulder, but I'm still kind of raw.

    I'm reading 'Hard Times' by Charles Dickens, and really struggling with it. I'm listening to 'The River We Remember', and that is really good. Generally my audiobooks go much more quickly than my physical ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it breaks my heart that Mulder was on eBay, but you've got to admit that he's the best thing that eBay ever sold. I vote that you should definitely read the puppy book.

      Mulder has been gone for a year, but his name has come up a few times in the IRL conversations that I've had with our blogging squad. He was a special boy and he lives on the memories of people who never even met him. The raw feelings that you have are very real. Doggo helped us with the loss of Stepdog, but it's still a loss.

      Delete
  8. I want to read the puppy book!!! I keep having random occasional thoughts where I just feel like I have felt "off" for much of this past year, and I sometimes think, Gosh, I just can't put my finger on it.. I don't know what's going on. And then I realize- I think it's Charlie! Even though he is so amazing, he really did upend so much of my life this year! Even now that he's older and much easier, he's still quite young and still takes up a lot of mental energy and affects my day to day life everyday. I wouldn't change a thing, but it is helpful to hear that other people also find puppy-ownership to be challenging. I sometimes look around and it seems like EVERYONE has a dog, so I think, ok, this cannot be so hard because literally everyone seems to do it and I never hear much about it being hard? So is it me?! I think beside all the regular puppy stuff, the biggest stressor for me has been the feeling of being chained to my house or not being able to just go on with my life as I normally would, always have to think about leaving Charlie home, or making sure someone was with him, etc. He just never has really loved his crate so that made it stressful too. Now we can leave him home unattended and roaming our main living area, but I still feel a little leery about leaving him for a longer stretch of time like that, like say 4-5 hours to go to a swim meet or something. He's fine from potty standpoint but I am not sure what exactly he'd do for that long if he started to get bored...yet I know he would hate to be in his crate that long....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EVERYTHING THAT YOU SAID HERE!!! I love Doggo and can't imagine life without her, and yes it's easier now that she's older but she still requires a lot of hands on time. I don't need a miracle fix, but I do need to know that we're not the only ones who have been overwhelmed by having a puppy.

      I don't know how we would do this if we didn't work from home. Yet I swear that it does get easier. Specifically we got our previous dog when she was two and she always stayed home alone during the work day and only needed her walks and a bit of play time each day. The easy days of dog ownership are coming for both you and me...someday.

      Delete