Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Life Updates

Hey friends, I'm here to give some updates on my experiences with therapy and my job sitch.

Therapy

(backstory here)

I'm done with therapy for the time being.  Over the course of three months I did six sessions.

I can't overemphasize how helpful therapy has been and how much that I wish I had done it earlier.  In my defense, it wasn't possible back in the bad ol' days when I was young.  I would have had to take unpaid time off work and pay for almost all of it out of pocket.  In today's day and age evening/weekend appointments are a thing (though you might have to wait for a bit to get in, since they're more popular) and of course there is also virtual.  I don't think that EAP's existed back in those days, but as I mentioned, mine was very easy to work with and covered three sessions.  After that I paid $40 a session on my insurance, and that's chump change given what I got out of it.

I also had a strong stereotype of the whiny neurotic character who has been in therapy for years...the reality is that a lot can be done in very little therapy time.  I might go back for some checkup appointments in the future, but as it is my therapist and I have run out of things to talk about so we're done.

The good news: therapy was very helpful for a handful of "not for the blog" issues and amazing progress has been made.  As a result, my non work life has improved greatly.

The bad news: there's no miracle to fix my work situation.  Mediation helps to take the edge off, but I can't meditate for my entire workday.  My therapist's assessment is that my job sucks.

My Jobby Job 

(Ugh I can't figure out which of one billion posts to link to for the backstory.  I've been complaining about this job for over a year now.)

My company is under a lot of pressure to be profitable, which cannot happen due to the fact that they are in the process of switching from annual customer contracts to monthly subscriptions.  You know, the kind of a situation that was planned for under the previous owners but seems to be a complete surprise to the new owners.

The company has a loan with a hefty payment coming up plus a cash balance that they have to maintain under the terms of the loan.  There's some crisis with repayment/cash balance which is the context for what comes next.

The Layoff Game

Last year around this time my company did a 10% reduction in force and I got a peek at how the layoff sausage is made.  While the powers that be were working on the cut list, we had our monthly all company meeting.  The CEO, who was obviously well aware of the coming layoffs, told everyone how great the business was doing as a result of the war in Ukraine.

At the next monthly company meeting the CEO announced the layoffs and one of the reasons cited was the impact to the business from the war in Ukraine.

In other words, if you've been laid off and you're wondering how you didn't see it coming==>for real you probably didn't see it coming.

This year: oops we did it again.  Lots more layoffs!  Plus a few rescinded job offers (that's when a company hires you and takes back the job offer before you start...so dirty).  The only nice thing that the company did was to include a handful of people who had already quit/gotten fired in the layoff list to bloat it a bit, which prevented further cuts.

My final (not) interesting observation about layoffs is that they are so random.  For both layoff rounds I saw names bounce on and off the list like tennis balls.  The takeaway that I'd like to tell anyone who has been laid off==>it is so not personal.

Make Money from Your Employees for Fun and Profit, Part 1

One thing that my company does very well is to offer first class benefits to US employees and they cover 85% of the premiums.  It's true that our benefits are expensive, but basically all that I pay is my 15% and after that we have almost no cash out of pocket for medical expenses for a family of four.

The company made some noise about leaving our insurance broker, so they came back to us with an incredible deal of a slight reduction in premiums for the next benefits year, which starts in October.  What a win!

Management got hold of those numbers and said...hmmm now is a good time to reduce the amount of the premiums that we pay.  Yours truly got to run those numbers, and it was very much a dig-your-own-grave experience.  Starting with the next benefits year in October, the company will now pay only 80%, so they took our broker's savings and helped themselves to another piece of the pie from the employees.  They've decided that no one will be able to figure this out since it's normal for insurance to go up each year so they won't say anything, they'll just rake in the $.  Some smartypants employee is going to dig in and figure it out, and I will have a good laugh when that happens.

Make Money from Your Employees for Fun and Profit, Part 2

My company used to be public and when they were acquired and went private, they converted all of the company stock awards into cash bonuses.  Stay with the company until the date when you would have gotten the stock and they give you cash instead.  They were supposed to pay out a few million in stock bonuses to employees on July 31st.   Someone figured out that not making the payment would give them a nice assist with the cash crisis situation.   They ran it by legal and were given a blessing.

10 days before the payout date they announced that they wouldn't be making the payments to conserve cash.  Oh don't worry they said, you'll get it by the end of Q1 in 2024 they said.

So in other words, the company is giving itself an interest free loan for nine months from the employee stock bonuses.

The Impact on My Bottom Line

After two years with the company:

Pay increase: $0

Bonus: to be fair I have gotten more than 100% of my bonus for extra work plus covering my boss's job while she's on maternity leave.  I've been told that it's very unusual for someone in finance to get more than 100%, so going forward I'll only get 100%.

Insurance Cost: $1,800 annual premium increase.  I could switch to a cheaper plan and/or we could move to the hubs's insurance, but the increased out of pocket costs would wipe out the premium savings.  Anyway you look at it, we'd be paying more.

Delayed stock bonus payment (a.k.a. interest free loan to my employer): $7,000. 

Quality of Life from a job that I hate: not good.

Soooo what am I going to do about it besides complain on the internets?  

I'm so glad that you asked!  I don't have another job lined up, but I do have an ace up my sleeve.  Look for part two of this post, where I will launch Operation Endgame.

Please share any work horror stories that you've got.  Did your employer ever withhold a payment like mine is doing?  What percentage of insurance does your employer cover?


23 comments:

  1. I am literally on the edge of my seat about Operation Endgame.
    This sounds like a layered story with horror at each new level. Ugh. I can 100% see why this is impacting your life so much and I'm glad you have a plan. Staying tuned <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elisabeth! The list of bad stuff keeps increasing, and I can only imagine how much worse it will get.

      Delete
  2. My worst story is when an employer overpaid me by a few thousand dollars (there were reasons I thought I was due this pay) and then had me pay them back by taking money out of my paycheck for the next several months. I don't envy people in HR, but I also think *some* people go into HR because they are unqualified to do anything else.

    I'm on the edge of my seat about what's next in your job life. Can't wait for part two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on the other side of the overpayment story many times. It's always preventable, and except for a few extreme cases, there really is no way for the employee to know that they were overpaid.

      Delete
  3. I am seething about your delayed stock bonus payout. Hoping hoping hoping that Operation Endgame gets you OUTTA THERE. Looking forward to Part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH GOOD LORD BIRCHY!!! This is brutal. I am anxiously awaiting Operation Endgame but sheesh, I can see why your work life has been weighing so heavily on you. That honestly sucks but I know you and I know you're smart and have figured something out. Sending good vibes your way - and I'm so happy therapy worked so well for you! You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole. I'm looking forward to being done with these people.

      Delete
  5. I am so glad to hear therapy helped where it could, and that your therapist validated your feelings about work! That means a lot!

    Geesh, your work stuff just makes me sick - how shady and greedy it all is Gah. I am glad you have an endgame. I don't really have any work horror stories like that - everything has to be pretty transparent since it's the gov't. I could complain about missed opportunities though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My employer is exactly like the honeybadger - so nasty! Everytime that I've heard the CEO and CFO talk, the word "transparent" is almost always used. I'm not going to miss them, that's for sure.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear that therapy was helpful! I was in 10 sessions after my miscarriage + pandemic stress back in 2020, was also very helpful. Employer stuff... nasty! I work for a public school district so they are very transparent and all is public information. Raises are every year albeit a small amount, no bonuses whatsoever, insurance: is a % of our base salary. I honestly don't know but it's not much. About $300 comes out every month of my paycheck to cover a family of four, with 10 dollar co-pay for office visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh $300 a month with not much after that is very good!

      Delete
  7. Oh wow. Just wow. Your work situation is AWFUL. The work story I am most salty about is from when I was 21 and waitressed at a restaurant during a summer break from college. The owner was an absolute LUNATIC. I got SCREAMED at once and I am not exaggerating. We were understaffed and I worked a 3 level patio plus the bar area so it was just an awful job all around. And then the final weekend, Labor Day weekend, they had live music so I worked until 2am 2 days in a row - and then I NEVER GOT PAID. The guy closed the restaurant and skipped town. Also, he just made a note in the memo line of the check re: what he was withholding for taxes - but then he never actually sent that money to the government so he just personally kept it himself! I am sure I had some legal recourse but I was 21 and very busy with college, etc, so I just let it go but wow I am still bitter about that.

    In my professional life, I had a job that I referred to as "the psych experiment." It's a massive Minneapolis-based company - you can probably guess if you google Minneapolis retailers... I got the job when I came out of grad school and it was HORRIFIC. The previous person had lied about how much they were working so my boss added something else to my plate and then asked how many hours I was working (it was 60-70) and said how it should not take me that many hours to do my job. I was told to lie about how much I was working. That was what people did - they worked in the office from like 8-5 and then would log on after they put their kids to bed. I refused to lie because then some other sucker was going to suffer when they took over my job. A slew of other things happened, too. I was so stressed that i would get up in the middle of the night and work on financial models. It was bananas. I left that company after 5 months. I had done SO MUCH RESEARCH before joining the company so was so disappointed when it was such a dumpster fire. Like I had contacted every employee in the alumni database of my grad school. But I guess the finance area was very different than the other areas I talked to? I don't know. I also had 30 hours of meetings a work with internal partners! No wonder I had to work 60-70 hours to do my job! A new CEO came in and has allegedly changed the "meeting culture" of the company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes Lisa you have been through the ringer! I've seen the "we're going to give you 60 hours of work and your job is to pretend that it's 40" tactic used many times, notably at my last company. I just don't get it.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing all of these details. It's great to hear that the therapy was helpful and you only needed 3 months to see a benefit. That means you were an active participant! I appreciate hearing about the job stuff, although I hate that it's such a stressor for you. You were definitely screwed over and that sucks. I hope you are able to find a better situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Therapy was helpful from the first session onward. I really can't recommend it enough.

      I'll be finding a better situation one way or the other - if an employer won't give it to me, then I'll make it for myself!

      Delete
  9. I think everyone benefits from therapy. It's so beneficial to have an impartial "other" to discuss things with and trouble-shoot solutions or just to get all the "stuff" out of ones head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I hear so many people say "well I can just talk to friends" or "I have my blog" and yes those are helpful outlets, but the time spent with the pro just gave me so much more.

      Delete
  10. I am so happy to hear how good therapy was for you. I agree, I think even 1-2 sessions can be superhelpful and most people would benefit from some type of talk therapy.

    Your job situation seems ... exhausting and infuriating in many ways. I cannot wait to see what Operation endgame is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooookay- the benefit or reading this late is I can go to Operation Endgame RIGHT NOW! How exciting...

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...the benefit OF... I was so excited I didn't notice that typo till after I hit publish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, finding it really hard to hold off on reading part 2, but SO GLAD you're finding (or have found, by this point?) a way out.
    One of the benefits/challenges of being a member of a profession that is in high demand, regardless of what you do, specifically, is that I have not (yet) faced layoffs. I cannot even imagine being on the other side, and how difficult it must be to reconcile what you know is right, with what a company is doing. I so appreciate your therapist for giving you the support you needed, particularly by validating how horrific this job is/was.

    ReplyDelete